collapse

Author Topic: Poison Ivy  (Read 3679 times)

Offline Harbinger

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 20, 2024, 03:46:47 PM
Poison Ivy
« on: September 15, 2018, 09:08:43 PM »

==============================================================
Character Name - Poison Ivy
Sprites - Harbinger
Code - Zvitor

A long time coming. I can't even remember when I started Ivy. Originally she was a Poison edit by .Batzarro. I offered my hand and she evolved from there. I lost everything in a PC crash in 2010 so started again. She's come a long way since then and I've learned a lot about sprite editing. Her stance proved a problem but does mean she's very heavily unique in her sprites as everything had to be edited!

Never thought I'd see her released but here we are!

Part of the Gotham Knights project. Watch this space

What's left:

- AI
- Ending Storyboard
- Move changes
- Fixes, edits and tweaks

Credits and Thanks:
- ZVitor for bringing her to life! Couldn't have done it without you
- navsmed41 for always being there to offer advice, critiques, keeping me going and for being a good friend
- Xfields for feedback, some help with sprites, teaching me to use new bases and again a good friend
- .Batzarro. for starting Ivy (although as a Poison edit) all those years ago. Please come back soon!
- Loganir for helping me put together an amazing stage, for feedback on sprites and for inspiring me
- The Unlimited for letting me be part of the team
- Tasia Valencia for her amazing Ivy voice - rips from Injustice 2 and the Arkahm games
- Kong for his sprite rips
- DC for creating Ivy - my favourite Gotham Siren
- And anyone I've missed! It's been such a long time coming there's loads more!

Download at
http://www.zvitor.com/projeto/ivy.html
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:14:32 AM by .:O Ilusionista:. »

Offline ZVitor

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 01, 2024, 07:22:36 PM
    • Email
Re: Poison Ivy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 09:09:36 PM »
 :w00t:

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 22, 2024, 11:46:19 PM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 09:44:45 PM »
wow shear beauty, great work you two. thank you

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline dev.

• Contributor
  • Last Login:April 30, 2024, 10:03:07 AM
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 09:50:05 PM »
Finally a proper Ivy. Thank you, mate.

Offline laspacho

• RMM Project Leader
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:May 20, 2024, 12:08:46 PM
  • Robot Master
    • Infinity Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 01:38:42 AM »
Just Beautiful.  Many years of hard work.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 20, 2024, 07:30:49 PM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 02:20:07 AM »
She's great! Love the Arkham series sounds! Is there a hint of BTAS in there, or is it all Arkham series sounds? I thought I heard a sound or 2, and I was like "That... might be from BTAS. @-):cool

Attacks are solid, specials are awesome! Awesome work! Looking forward to more! :thumbsup:

Offline metamutant

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 05, 2024, 09:46:50 AM
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 05:50:46 AM »
Well done. It is easy to tell that a lot of hard work and attention to details went into this character. Amazing work.

Offline bambulin

• Contributor
  • Last Login:May 13, 2024, 05:10:33 AM
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 06:12:05 AM »
finally a poison ivy of quality. Thanks to both for a great job.  ^:)^

Offline sky79

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 19, 2022, 11:31:05 AM
  • Real players and makers share.
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:28:23 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Keep Mugen Free

Offline verz36

• The Unlimited
  • Last Login:October 09, 2023, 12:31:46 PM
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 12:50:11 PM »
congratz to you both on this release.. will check her later. been waiting for this one for a long time. i know you put a lot of effort on the sprites so i know this took you long time.. thanks for sharing with us..

Offline boogerboy

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:January 24, 2024, 09:33:01 AM
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
Sorry that I was busy a lot, but great work on Ivy!
Game on!

Offline malevka2

• Symbiotes
  • Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 22, 2024, 12:12:30 PM
  • Symbiotes
    • Skype - malevka2
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 02:41:23 PM »
poison ivy of quality. Thanks

Offline Blagoy

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 22, 2024, 12:06:59 PM
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »
Thank you guys she is gorgeous  :w00t:

Offline NX-MEN

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:January 06, 2019, 11:31:38 AM
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
Ivy is amazingggg!!!! I really was waiting for her for ages and all these years work is just astonishing!!!  :o

Congrats guys!!! Your hard work really paid off!!  :w00t:

Excellent sprites and wide range of them!!! She plays great!!! Love her moves!!! Love the switch of costumes in her intro through her Comics and Movie history too!! Great amount of voices too!!!   ^:)^

Small feedback:

1. When she jumps and you press down + HK the move is not performed

2. When she jumps above the opponent she keeps looking at the opposite direction of the opponent. Maybe when she jumps above the opponent it will be better to switch direction facing the opponent.

All in all she is awesome guys!!! Really hope and wish you become an example on how good chars are made!! You both are great creators and all these years waiting and anticipating her deserve that!!  :w00t:

One move I really wanted to see on her was her shooting arrows from her arm but I know this move comes from TAS and you based her more on Comics and I know it will be difficult to have that move from her hands!!  :cool

Love to see your next char guys which I assume is Joker (based on the video)!! Continue doing miracles in Mugen!!  ^:)^

Offline liamx2000

• Initiate
  • Last Login:June 29, 2020, 06:47:47 AM
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 07:24:06 PM »
She is beautiful well done on her.

Offline .black dragon.

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:February 10, 2024, 10:52:39 PM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:25 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Superjoker

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:November 11, 2019, 10:01:54 PM
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 08:59:49 PM »
very cool! congrats on your release!

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 11:56:28 PM »
Ooh, she's finished  :o

Downloading now, will give feedback later

EDIT: I love the sprite work, it's all gorgeous. I have noticed that certain command grabs (like Catwoman's) can cancel Ivy's Poison Spores hyper
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 12:19:17 AM by HyperVoiceActing »

Offline HQ

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 01, 2022, 08:20:52 AM
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 07:37:05 AM »
Great work Harbinger & Zvitor! A long time coming! Btw do you have any old sprites of your first take on it? I can remember it but don't have any saved unfortunately from back then.

I haven't started Mugen in ages but took Poison Ivy for a quick test today! I really like the sprite work and the gameplay ideas! All the effects like the Backdash roses falling to the grounds are true eye candy!

Feedback Time:
1) Did you try to have the leaves/grass popping up on the ground in the back of her sprites? I imagine that to look better for some reason. Or maybe a combination of front and back grass/leaves
2) Also concerning the grass/leaves on the ground. Having them appear in a different resolution hurts my eyes a bit. With pixel work it is always best to have them use the same resolution :)
3) Do you by chance have the walk anims as gif so I could try something with them? The main issue I have with that animation is that the intention to make it seductive can be clearly seen but due to some small issues it seems unnatural I think

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 18, 2024, 11:29:37 PM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »
Congrats for the release. Her sprites are awesome and there many creativity on her gameplay.

I have some points to share.

The most important / serious

- Her pain animations. Looking at her files, I realized that the problem is not exactly the images but the animation code. Instead of being in the frame that shows the strongest damage, it goes back to the starting frame, which gives a weird impression - it seems to receive no damage at all.

A clear example is the 5001 (Stand / Air Hit high - medium) animation. It uses 3 frames - an initial, the second where it shows the damage and the third where it returns to the initial stage. But this is wrong, just compare with the Kung Fu man. It should not go back to the initial frame, as this is another animation (5006).

What's the problem? She repeats the first several times (twice in this animation and another in the 5006 animation), which makes it appear she does not even take damage - she just closes her eyes.

If you want to see an example, check this video at 0:35. She only close her eyes while getting hit, and she isn't a tank type character at all.

(You can spot an issue at her 5010 - weak low hit - on the same movie. She doesn't looks like she is receiving a low kick, because her standing high and low hit animations are almost the same and have the same issue)

- She has an issue with one of her recovery animations. Before I start to record the video above, she had recovery from a knockdown and then she sunk into the ground forever.

- Her SND is just too big, really. 62mb for a sound file? There are 345 samples, but I doubt you are using all of them. Its better to remove what you aren't using.
Also, if you compact her sounds (resample), you can make it down to 30mb (which is still too big for a sound file).

The not so important ones

- It could be my personal impression, but I think her hands and feet are a little too big for her - She looks like Urien.

- Her standing high kick does too much damage (I never expected to say this, lol). 75 points of damage for a kick executed by someone which isn't either a power house neither a very good martial artist? Seams too much for me. Only for comparison, Killer Croc does 85 points of damage (and he is pretty strong).

- Botanical Ambush (weak version) looks a little odd. It is intended to work like a step mine (which damages only by steping on it) or its a trap, which grabs the target? If its the second case, make it to bring the target closer to it.

Offline kyoman

• stage maker
  • Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 20, 2024, 01:33:25 PM
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 07:16:42 PM »
Great work, Thanks

Offline Mr.Giang

• Last Login:October 03, 2018, 10:25:46 AM
  • Editor
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 10:58:31 PM »
Taken straight from my MugenGuild's comment:
I just edited Zvitor's Jason Todd few days ago and now we have this? Damn great!
But then I tested her and I have to admit: she's a disappointment though. As much as I want to like this, I can't. Her moves are stiff, sprites still feel lacking and hitboxes are weird. Her Hypers feel lame and uninteresting and yet they seems to be unable to be cancelled from normal and special though, making her so underwhelming. This actually could have been a great character 4 years ago but now, not so great. That being said, those flaws can easily be fixed and I hope there will be updated for her.
I give this one 5/10 (5 is for the OK sprite-work, not really amazing but still usable). Nonetheless what I said about this, she is still a great base character for further improvements.
Still really looking forward your Robin. Since ZVitor's Jason Todd, his chars really went downhill though but I really hope that things will get better.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:10:52 AM by .:O Ilusionista:. »
*EDIT: NO LINKING TO WORKS NOT ORIGINALLY YOURS PLEASE*

Offline HQ

• Initiate
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 02:39:27 AM »
Taken straight from my MugenGuild's comment:
I just edited Zvitor's Jason Todd few days ago and now we have this? Damn great!
But then I tested her and I have to admit: she's a disappointment though. As much as I want to like this, I can't. Her moves are stiff, sprites still feel lacking and hitboxes are weird. Her Hypers feel lame and uninteresting and yet they seems to be unable to be cancelled from normal and special though, making her so underwhelming. This actually could have been a great character 4 years ago but now, not so great. That being said, those flaws can easily be fixed and I hope there will be updated for her.
I give this one 5/10 (5 is for the OK sprite-work, not really amazing but still usable). Nonetheless what I said about this, she is still a great base character for further improvements.
Still really looking forward your Robin. Since ZVitor's Jason Todd, his chars really went downhill though but I really hope that things will get better.
If you come to critic someone's work it is always highly advised to not come along the way you did.
Try to give constructive feedback and not just rant like a 12 year old that isn't happy about not getting his way.
List the bugs properly and encourage the creators to help them improve.
With your wording on how you gave the sprites an OK, not really amazing but still usable, you come across as a total douchebag that doesn't deserve to even glimpse at others work & that will ultimately make creators not publish things anymore.

Ps. Not sure whether you are a troll or not, but I thought I read Trump writing all of the things you said in your post. Then I saw your YT channel banner saying Make Mugen Great Again. The Mugen Scene was best when people helped each other improve and not bash or blindly love other members creations. You are no part of that great community and with that attitude won't be.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 10:11:28 AM by .:O Ilusionista:. »

Offline Mr.Giang

• Last Login:October 03, 2018, 10:25:46 AM
  • Editor
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 03:01:47 AM »
If you come to critic someone's work it is always highly advised to not come along the way you did.
Try to give constructive feedback and not just rant like a 12 year old that isn't happy about not getting his way.
List the bugs properly and encourage the creators to help them improve.
With your wording on how you gave the sprites an OK, not really amazing but still usable, you come across as a total douchebag that doesn't deserve to even glimpse at others work & that will ultimately make creators not publish things anymore.

Ps. Not sure whether you are a troll or not, but I thought I read Trump writing all of the things you said in your post. Then I saw your YT channel banner saying Make Mugen Great Again. The Mugen Scene was best when people helped each other improve and not bash or blindly love other members creations. You are no part of that great community and with that attitude won't be.

you seem very pretentious. Can you show us your work? For the moment, I notice that you are at the edge of the daisies. Persuade me otherwise.

Hmm, you take this way wrong way and I'm sure you are consufing between criticism and attacking. I mean no offense to the original work. He did great job with what he did. I just give some critics and point out some flaws so he can know about it and fix this in the next update, not some stupid personel bashing. Hell, I'm even a fan of ZVitor's job for a long time so what I said is just to try to help him to make his work better.
In case you need to see the flaw of his works, I can point them here out for you on mugenguild (that's bad part on my side as on mugenguild, other guys already post about the flaws of chars and I tended not to repeat what they said): http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/poison-ivy-184794.0.html
Again, I'm here all to help and not for any attacking arguements at all so we should really avoid personel attacks for more civil arguements.
*EDIT: NO LINKING TO WORKS NOT ORIGINALLY YOURS PLEASE*

Offline HQ

• Initiate
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 03:24:10 AM »
Hmm, you take this way wrong way and I'm sure you are consufing between criticism and attacking. I mean no offense to the original work. He did great job with what he did. I just give some critics and point out some flaws so he can know about it and fix this in the next update, not some stupid personel bashing. Hell, I'm even a fan of ZVitor's job for a long time so what I said is just to try to help him to make his work better.
In case you need to see the flaw of his works, I can point them here out for you on mugenguild (that's bad part on my side as on mugenguild, other guys already post about the flaws of chars and I tended not to repeat what they said): http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/poison-ivy-184794.0.html
Again, I'm here all to help and not for any attacking arguements at all so we should really avoid personel attacks for more civil arguements.
I certainly don't take this the wrong way. There's a clear line between an attack and critic. Your whole wording in your first post is bashing.

I have yet to read in your post any constructive critic how you think:
- Harbinger could improve on the OK sprites
- How the characters moves could feel less stiff
- How the Hypers could be less lame , uninteresting
- How the character could be less underwhelming and less of an dissapointment
- How the hitboxes can be less weird

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Street Fighter 1 Ultimate Ryu by ELECTRO
[May 22, 2024, 03:58:25 PM]

China Town (Revenge of Shinobi) by Lord_Enemil
[May 22, 2024, 03:02:10 PM]

Neon Light Force Demo by Uche_of_IMT
[May 22, 2024, 10:21:37 AM]

Marvel vs. Capcom: Eternity of Heroes REMAKE Game Update 1.3.0 - N.A.O.H. by Uche_of_IMT
[May 21, 2024, 11:50:20 PM]

The Spider release + Spider-Man game by kobun
[May 21, 2024, 02:05:24 AM]

Let's all try it together! Yazawanainn gose breakdancing in MUGEN! by GTFoxN6Y
[May 18, 2024, 05:00:14 PM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[May 18, 2024, 11:17:34 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 15, 2024, 01:25:51 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare