collapse

Author Topic: What's up with Spiderman?  (Read 857 times)

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
What's up with Spiderman?
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »
Is there a team that he hasn't been on?

I hate it when marvel, spams their characters

lol

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline !

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 26, 2014, 03:36:01 PM
Re: What's up with Spiderman?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 10:48:36 AM »
no comic company spams like DC...growin up the only characters the put on tv were Batman Superman Wonderwoman and GL

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:57 AM »
according to marvel.com
Avengers, formerly the Secret Defenders, "New Fantastic Four", the Outlaws

That dosnt count the what if storys
like the fantastic 5

or Weapon X from exiles

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 08, 2014, 12:22:16 AM
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
MugenNinja is right, they have how many Robin's? 5? Batman? 6? Supermen- 8? Flashes- 4? I mean for serious, they not only spam they're characters, but they make several versions of they're characters, this is one of the main reasons I don't like DC as much as marvel.

Offline !

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 26, 2014, 03:36:01 PM
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 11:06:10 AM »
MugenNinja is right, they have how many Robin's? 5? Batman? 6? Supermen- 8? Flashes- 4? I mean for serious, they not only spam they're characters, but they make several versions of they're characters, this is one of the main reasons I don't like DC as much as marvel.

Amen brother

Offline Worksa8

• Rocket Punch!
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:June 13, 2021, 01:19:25 PM
  • Rocket Punch!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
Yeah I have to agree with them too...xD

If a character gets popular- we see more of them. Why is this so hard to grasp?  :DxDie
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:38:49 AM by worksa8 »

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »
I think Spider-man has a pathological need to have a father figure around.

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »

Amen brother

It's totally differant. The point is that Marvel takes ONE popular character and shoves in every book to sell it.

DC has what you call a legacy where heroes get old, and they pass on the torch instead of having a Nick Fury who looks in his 40's even though he's a hundred. They dont put them in every book to whore them out like Marvel does.

You guys must not know much about DC if you think they spam their characters more than Marvel.

Offline StarStorm

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:July 20, 2011, 03:02:41 PM
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 12:22:53 PM »
Spiderman doesn't get spammed nearly as much as Wolverine does.

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »

I agree. I like Spidey in the Avengers, but I think he should be in the Avengers with Cap, Iron Man, Thor, and the other big names, and not a B-class Avengers. Avengers should be like the Justice League, and have the big guns as the core of the team.

Offline DrZaius

• Professional Gorilla
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:May 04, 2021, 03:00:26 PM
  • Ook ook!
    • DrZaius Site for MUGEN and Minecraft
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 12:55:18 AM »

My MUGEN site.
Honestly, people need to stop using 4Shared.

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:February 23, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 09:53:01 PM »
It's totally differant. The point is that Marvel takes ONE popular character and shoves in every book to sell it.

DC has what you call a legacy where heroes get old, and they pass on the torch instead of having a Nick Fury who looks in his 40's even though he's a hundred. They dont put them in every book to whore them out like Marvel does.

You guys must not know much about DC if you think they spam their characters more than Marvel.

I think the problem with that is when the retired heroes constantly come back to the point of having to have something like crisis on infinite earths to reboot the universe, then having to do it again twice.

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 10:27:46 AM »
I think the problem with that is when the retired heroes constantly come back to the point of having to have something like crisis on infinite earths to reboot the universe, then having to do it again twice.

I wouldnt disagree, but it's not spamming. DC doesn't use 3 Flashes to sell more books. Barry, or Wally have their lead book, and Jay appears in JSA, and Wally in Titans, or Barry in JLA. It's not a sales tactic since really only the regular Flash is a decent seller.

Even the GL's arent a Spam. No one buys JSA specifically for Alan Scott, and the GL Corps doesn't feature Hal. People buy GL corps to catch up with John, Guy, and Kyle.

Point is that DC isn't taking one character and putting him in every book to increase the books sales. If Hal, or Wally was on every team because of their popularity that would be spamming. The closest thing DC does to that is probably Batman since he is in Outsiders, JLA, and appears in several differant Bat-books.

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 10:51:26 PM »
yeah I get that. I think it's more the fact that there ARE so many flashes, for example. instead of reinventing the same guy three times, why not give us three different characters?

I guess when you're more of a fan and you read it more, it kinda makes more sense. I'm just looking at this from a casual point of view. to me it kinda seems like when they bring fan favorite characters back in a sequel to a fighting game, regardless of story. like, "okay superman is really successful, so now lets have superboy, supergirl, super woman, superhorse, krypto the super dog, and maybe even three other supermen." or "that captain marvel guy really sells action figures. lets make a girl version of him to hit that audience too."

I know thy usually justify this stuff in the comics by having a worthwhile story to make sense of it, but I wonder what their prime motivation was in the first place.

Offline DrZaius

• Professional Gorilla
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:May 04, 2021, 03:00:26 PM
  • Ook ook!
    • DrZaius Site for MUGEN and Minecraft
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 02:55:33 AM »
I think it's just laziness in the naming department.

:-??

My MUGEN site.
Honestly, people need to stop using 4Shared.

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »
Well keep in mind the dozens of Super-characters were created eons ago so that was an attempt at sales back in the day to capitalize no doubt about it.

However with the GL's, and Flashes you have to remember the key difference in DC to marvel is that DC has reboot their Universe 3-4 times to account for their heroes continuity glitches in time. Theres multiple Flashes because Jay was the origional on E2, then Barry was E1's Flash, Barry died, and Wally took up the mantle just like Nightwing, and Bucky took over for Cap, and Batman at their respective companies. The fans demanded that characters like Jay, and Barry come back so hence you have multiple Flash.

As far as why they try to reinvent the same character over again I think I can answer that. I posed that question a year or so back to DC, and I think it was kurt Busiek that answered. I asked "why create another Blue Beetle, just create a whole new character?" He said because new characters dont gain acceptance easily. People are familiar with a mantle, and kids don't always relate to the older heroes. Take a Teenage version of the character with a new costume, and differant powers, and maybe the younger fans will take interest.

With DC I think it boils down to a hardcore older fanbase that demands their favorite characters stay relevent, but they get torn to attract new readers with a version they can relate to better. With Blue Beetle I definately see interest from younger people to the character, while guys in their 30's like me want his head on a platter. They cant win. While guys in my age bracket spend the big money on the product they are trying to think ahead so thats theres a new generation to carry on the torch.

So I don't see it as spamming, but it is an attempt to build on a proven mantle. Youre right though it is something that is interesting to a hardcore fan, but confusing to the occaisional fan. In DC's defense they did try to condense everything with the Crisis on Infinite Earths, but it did not lead to long term success, only thousands of fans that have complained about it for the last 25 years.

It's rough in the age of Ubergeeks, and Superfans.

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 02:42:07 PM »
That actually makes a lot of sense to me. Blue Beetle was a prime example. Thanks for opening my mind a bit.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Street Fighter Spec Ops 2021 by O Ilusionista
[June 08, 2024, 01:36:06 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[June 06, 2024, 07:34:10 PM]

Kirby the Dream Battle by O Ilusionista
[June 06, 2024, 01:04:12 PM]

Neo Geo Pocket by malevka2
[June 05, 2024, 10:53:57 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:18:12 PM]

[BOR] _Avengers United Battle Force_ by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:13:51 PM]

Mega Man & Bass - Dynamo Man by Sir Rousseau by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:09:50 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD