collapse

Author Topic: Stealing and Selling YOUR Characters.  (Read 1930 times)

Offline mastamasta

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:December 26, 2010, 01:54:40 PM
Stealing and Selling YOUR Characters.
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:07:45 AM »
look at this guy....i saw this on scruffydragon and i saw some IMT characters were in this. this guy is selling mugen games with DVM Chars, EOH chars etc....peep this garbage, this is why i no longer make ANYTHING because of people like this with no respect for the work put into each of this characters.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/DC-VS-MARVEL-VS-CAPCOM-MUGEN-2D-FIGHTING-GAME--95197781

Offline b.easy

• Global Moderator
  • Last Login:December 01, 2022, 11:28:07 PM
Re: Stealing and Selling YOUR Characters.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:23:37 AM »
this is why i no longer make ANYTHING because of people like this with no respect for the work put into each of this characters.
Really? :(|)

Not much can be done unless someone is caught in the act of trying to sell mugen. I really feel sorry for the suckers buying it.

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 27, 2024, 11:16:02 PM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:26:01 AM »
Hey buddy the link is dead

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline Random Regular

• heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 09, 2018, 05:54:53 AM
  • ??!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 11:43:38 AM »
www.ioffer.com/i/DC-VS-MARVEL-VS-CAPCOM-MUGEN-2D-FIGHTING-GAME--95197781

Its a shame that he sells things that other people worked for *Iceman ThumbsDown!*

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
Yeah my Hobgoblin is in there too . I seen this guy selling this same stuff on ebay about a month ago .

Whatever , there's not alot anyone can do about it . When I was a noob & couldn't find any characters . I didn't know about the forums , & you had to have something to trade to get anything good . Of course I didn't since I was a noob . I almost wish I could have found a guy like this selling an entire disc of characters I wanted for $5.00 or whatever  . Now I would never sell mugen like that , but I have a job ....lol  Hey the economy sucks , drastic times calls for drastic measures . Just like the guys I see going into the bars with backpacks filled with new burned movies for sale . I can't really blame em , they are doing what they feel they have to for survival . It's not like this guy is taking money from me by selling my character . But this is one reason I always put download links in the description of my youtube vids . So anyone that wants a released  character by me doesn't have to trade for it or buy it .

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline JDubbs

• The Black Colossus and
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 03, 2019, 09:49:31 PM
  • JDubbs: 1st Name, Last Name
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 12:03:42 PM »
Whoa!! Who SELLS mugen characters? No diss but that seems pretty lame
You think You Know Me

MK 9 mains: Ermac, Rain, Jax
MvC2 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Gambit, Bison, Charlie
MvC3 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Storm, Ryu, Taskmaster
[/URL]

MK 9 mains: Ermac, Rain, Jax
MvC2 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Gambit, Bison, Charlie
MvC3 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Storm, Ryu, Taskmaster

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »
If someone wants to buy it it's their perogative but the buyers really need to be aware that this stuff is allavailable free on the internet. A smart person shoud do their research since obviously the world is full of sharks waiting to steal your money. I feel sorry the person on that posting who said they want to put it into an arcade cabinet, because ufortunatly this dude who's selling this mugen just threw a bunch of chars into a screen pack and called it a game. I would be embarassed to show that mugen mishmash to other people with any bit on enthusiasm.

@ Mastamasta, if every musician whose music was pirated on the internet quit (because they are actaully losing money because of it), we'd all be pretty sad. I see mugen the same way, not making anything because people will abuse your creation is no way to make any difference.  :-??

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • The trend setter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »
DT

How can u really agree with wat he's doing? Hes making money off of you and er1 else whos a creator. We all spend hundrunds of hours making these just for sum1 to take and make a profit off our labor. . . . . . . . give me a brake. The question is wats wrong with u.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 02:11:56 PM »
DT

How can u really agree with wat he's doing? Hes making money off of you and er1 else whos a creator. We all spend hundrunds of hours making these just for sum1 to take and make a profit off our labor. . . . . . . . give me a brake. The question is wats wrong with u.

What's wrong with me is the question ?

Nothing .

What Am I going to do order a copy of this disc so I can find out his address , fly out to his house wherever he may be , knock on the door & beat him up ?

So I can either do what I mentioned above . Which would be completely idiotic & possibly border line insane .

or

My other option would be to just sit here & blow a gasket about this . Raise my blood pressure & have more stress in my life which I don't need .

Yeah I worked long hours on my characters , for months on end & even lost sleep . But the reality is what can you do ? Take this guy to court . " Yes your honor I am suing because this guy is selling my character which consists of sprites stolen from Capcom of a Marvel Comics character that I had no permission to use & own no rights to " But I want some money for this  :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie Sounds like a good case to me .

I have a job & I have money . For me time is money & I also have a pretty busy life with all my hobbies & girl . When I first got into mugen , I literally wasted hours & months of my life every evening just googling & other methods searching for characters on the net . I searched for magus's Batman every night for literally 6 months until I found him , because he was pulled off the internet . It would have been much easier & less of a hassle for me to just send this guy $5.00 to get a bunch of stuff I wanted 4 days later in the mail . Because you know how much time I actually wasted searching ? I could have been doing much better things with that time & it would have cost me only $5.00 . That would have been well worth it to me .

I've said this many times  if a major movie company or music company can't stop there stuff from being put on the internet or sold on the streets . How can we ? It's a losing/stressful battle that isn't worth fighting to me or getting frustrated over .

(click to show/hide)

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 02:25:40 PM »
DT

Make your stuff private then, who are you to judge DT? Most of my friends are not Mugen nuts, and theyd rather buy something like this than screw around putting it all together themselves. I feel the same way about concerts. I buy bootlegg live DVD's all the time. Is it right for people to do to the band? No, but I want to see a performance they did in Europe that I'd never get to see otherwise so I do.

Do I think its right to do it? No but everybody in mugen is a thief. Do you think DC, and Marvel think its okay to freely distribute their likeness of characters? No they dont. I know 2 businesses halted for using Superman Logo's on flyers so they are not even cool with promotional or free use of their images.

The only reason Mugen gets away with it is because its under their radar. While the guy might be doing a diservice to others, its not worth a bunch of drama. The only way someone is going to make any significant money is to mass market it, which he'd never get away with.

Yes this dude is wrong, but its like the pot calling the kettle black to degree.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:36:47 PM by ALEXZIQ »

Offline Sabaki

• Theory Coder
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:December 28, 2014, 03:28:33 AM
  • Busy, as always
    • Wikipedia - Sabaki's Page
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »
this is why i no longer make ANYTHING because of people like this with no respect for the work put into each of this characters.
Something like this won't make me stop creating. I create stuff for fun, I don't really expect much back because I enjoy what I create. I get no payments for this, so no lost. If guys like that want to sell mine & other's work, then so be it.

That is one of the problems with many people who create stuff for mugen: they think it automatically means respect. That's actually not true. It's easy to tell who creates just for attention & to make a name for themselves, and who creates just for the love of creating. For me, I wouldn't even announce my works on other sites if it wasn't that I was recommended by another creator to do so in order to ensure that the majority of mugen players get the latest version, get different types of feedback, etc. In the long run, there are alot of personal benefits from that...but do I expect respect? Nope. If I was dissed/insulted, that would probably affect me more than finding my works being selled or something.

In the long run, if you enjoy creating for mugen, you do just that...create and expect nothing back. If you want quality control in mugen to ensure that theives like this cannot continue, then that will never happen. Why? Mugen has no form of corporate support, so it's just an unsupported cracked engine we all continue to play with.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:37:42 PM by sabaki »

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 02:57:11 PM »
Something like this won't make me stop creating. I create stuff for fun, I don't really expect much back because I enjoy what I create. I get no payments for this, so no lost. If guys like that want to sell mine & other's work, then so be it.

That is one of the problems with many people who create stuff for mugen: they think it automatically means respect. That's actually not true. It's easy to tell who creates just for attention & to make a name for themselves, and who creates just for the love of creating. For me, I wouldn't even announce my works on other sites if it wasn't that I was recommended by another creator to do so in order to ensure that the majority of mugen players get the latest version, get different types of feedback, etc. In the long run, there are alot of personal benefits from that...but do I expect respect? Nope. If I was dissed/insulted, that would probably affect me more than finding my works being selled or something.

In the long run, if you enjoy creating for mugen, you do just that...create and expect nothing back. If you want quality control in mugen to ensure that theives like this cannot continue, then that will never happen. Why? Mugen has no form of corporate support, so it's just an unsupported cracked engine we all continue to play with.

I agree with this also . I do this for fun & because I enjoy it . It's just another form of expression for me to release my artistic side .

When I release something , I usually try to post on all the forums I know of . Just so the people that want my character can get it without having to trade for it . I even signed up for forums ( including warehouses ) I never goto just to post a release . If I was looking for " fame " I would go back & follow my threads about what people were saying . I don't really care . I have 2 forums that I consider a " home " As you can tell I have 1000's of posts at both lol

(click to show/hide)

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • The trend setter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 04:09:13 PM »
to say wat he  is doing is wrong but to say hes right to do it 8=|  My thing is this i no u cant stop him unless u go on sum Psycho rampage but to say its right to do, say u agree with him sell em cuz u cant to anything. What ever

Anyways I just think it sux that pep put in this work and others profit off there work. I am a character / Graphics artist and any thing i do i put my heart into. So for me on a personal level it hurts to see pep still ur work or other hard work. Altho i cant or choose not to do anything about the guy THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I CAN SAY THIS IS JUSTIFIED.

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »
to say wat he  is doing is wrong but to say hes right to do it 8=|  My thing is this i no u cant stop him unless u go on sum Psycho rampage but to say its right to do, say u agree with him sell em cuz u cant to anything. What ever

Anyways I just think it sux that pep put in this work and others profit off there work. I am a character / Graphics artist and any thing i do i put my heart into. So for me on a personal level it hurts to see pep still ur work or other hard work. Altho i cant or choose not to do anything about the guy THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I CAN SAY THIS IS JUSTIFIED.

No one is saying that, but again some people feel the same way about freely distributing copyrighted likenesses's.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »

Bro , it's just like the real world . I'm a graphic designer for a living . My company pays me good money , but what I do for them in an hour or two , they get paid 1000's of dollars for . I feel that isn't right .

I never really said he is right . It's more of a " to each his own attitude " I have about it & really couldn't care less .

Let me put it this way , if someone ripped off my car & put it on ebay , I'm going to get worked up about it . If someone kidnapped my girl & forced herto hook for them . That would make me mad .

Mugen just isn't that serious . I myself respect other creator's properties because of the unwritten code of mugen. But you can't expect someone outside of the community to do that .

(click to show/hide)

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • The trend setter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »
Idk er1 got there own oppioion. I can agree with u to a level peps cuz these aint are characters. But On what u said DT of my personal work they are like my children if sum tryed to still em I probably be in court or behind bars. I think a lil of this passion here spilled out on the table. I still feel strong about these mugen works but in a different way. Thanx for the conversation pep iv feel a lil humbled.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »
Idk er1 got there own oppioion. I can agree with u to a level peps cuz these aint are characters. But On what u said DT of my personal work they are like my children if sum tryed to still em I probably be in court or behind bars. I think a lil of this passion here spilled out on the table. I still feel strong about these mugen works but in a different way. Thanx for the conversation pep iv feel a lil humbled.

Your probably a little younger than I am . I learned long tome ago not to look at my artwork as " children " so to speak . I used to have that same attitude . But you just end up getting burned when you look at things that way . Don't get me wrong I feel like Wolvenom is a part of me & came from deep inside . I just don't cling to those feelings & dwell if something happens . Because like what this guy does is bound to take place sooner or later .

In my we weren't arguing here just discussing our veiws .

BTW Love the Harley Quinn sig  :thumbsup:

(click to show/hide)

Offline deadmangunner

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 06, 2016, 04:00:04 PM
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »
I would say selling mugen characters is wrong but, there is not a lot you can do about it. Also I would say that mugen is a hobby so there really isn't that much to get worked up about. If someone feels the need to rip other people's work off and sell it that just shows how lame they are in my mind. I would never take credit for someone else work but, there are some people out there that think that they can which is sad.  If mugen was made for making money I could see why people get bent out of shape but, since it isn't,  it is not that big of a deal. If people don't want to take the chance of having things like this happen to them in mugen they should keep their stuff private. Mugen really in my mind is for sharing with other people so that is why people put there stuff out there even though there is the possibility that some might rip them off but, if no one put there stuff out there mugen would  die out very quickly so I am grateful to all the people that are willing to share there wonderful work. I think the person who is selling the mugen stuff is wrong and really lame for ripping people off but, that is his own stupid choice to make and I hope he stops even though I doubt that he will. I would say it takes someone with not a lot of guilt to rip off people over and over again I will say I really look down on such people for being shameless but, I try not to let it get to me too much cause the fact is that there are a ton of shameless people in the world that don't give a rat's a$$ about other people but, such is life.  
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:13:49 PM by deadmangunner »

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 03, 2020, 07:22:20 AM
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
Okay, this issue is simple.

Selling IP is illegal, or even redistributing IP, even if for free.

However, we can all get away with redistributing IP, because it's all part of fan work. That doesn't mean anything, except for the fact that MUGEN creations fall under fair use or parody. Fan work can be redistributed freely, as long as no money is being made out of it. Of course, some do sell their artwork, but technically it's not really allowed here.

Because, It's Midnite

Offline mastamasta

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:December 26, 2010, 01:54:40 PM
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
i just figured id post this to show you guys....i see some of you have mixxed emmotions on it, i just figured id address it.

@ acey...i understand about the analogy you made about music, the pieces fit...but then again, stealing is stealing....not supporting an artist you listen too by downloading his/her music is not supporting an artist...i buy some cds. when it calls for it and when i wanna help out the dude selling himself   :-??

if you guys dont care then cool whatever, but like i said i just saw it and figured id through it out there.

Offline Grayskull

• Initiate
  • Last Login:April 13, 2011, 11:19:51 AM
  • Thanks to Hollow Boy for this marvelous avatar ;)
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 06:11:13 AM »
Wow !
If I have not seen it , I'd never believe it ! :o

How can someone be able to sell and make money
with something that is free and easy to get ?! :DxDie

I'm sad for the Scruffy Dragon and Infinity Team ,
this show no respect . :(
But I'm not for the ones who buy this sort of thing ,
using just google they would found a bunch of characters and stages free :P
on mugen sites and on warehouses (I'm against warehouses >:().
Yes warehouses are bad but they are free !

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 03, 2020, 07:22:20 AM
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »
In other words, you must be a complete idiot to buy it, especially in a world where all things can be found for free.

Because, It's Midnite

Offline MirageAtoli

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:May 13, 2011, 03:25:23 AM
  • Oh, my Paws and Whiskers!
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »
except for the fact that MUGEN creations fall under fair use or parody.

Mugen characters really don't fall under fair use, typically.

There really is no value related to characters related to academia, and it would be hard to hold up the argument that your representation of a mugen character is a parody ( at least for the serious characters ). Something closer to the cosplay-type fighters would have a little more leverage.

I've said this many times  if a major movie company or music company can't stop there stuff from being put on the internet or sold on the streets . How can we ? It's a losing/stressful battle that isn't worth fighting to me or getting frustrated over .

Most media are having trouble with their current business model, and they need to come up with a new one.

+1 for you guys that understand the difference between IP and a social contract.

Offline Superjoker

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:November 11, 2019, 10:01:54 PM
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »

well if ur willing enough to pay n buy mugen, then go 4 it, some ppl would rather just pay 4 it slap it on n play it.

n if the deal is good, then u'll get VALUE 4 UR $$$$$$

Offline juelz aka wolfi

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 14, 2022, 06:32:03 AM
  • still no cajones to fight me? fuhgetdaboutit
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 09:36:09 PM »
well what is done is done
all you cud do is contact him and talk bout it if he refuses to undo what he does
leave it at least you tried
or just advertise mugen is free  :-?? so peeps wud stop buying?
sig by jvalent2 what happens to hulk? tell you soon
avatar shield by akeme and darktalbain

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 [28] 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal