collapse

Author Topic: SPOOKY'S Dr Strange  (Read 2286 times)

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:May 17, 2011, 11:58:08 AM
    • CVG United
SPOOKY'S Dr Strange
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »
Dr Strange...not done but I thought Id post it for fun

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
Re: SPOOKY'S Dr Strange
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:21:07 PM »
Looks good !

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline triplec716

• Initiate
  • Last Login:June 20, 2014, 10:41:49 PM
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »
wow thats cool.

Offline Buyog

• Scruffy Dragons
  • Last Login:June 05, 2013, 09:58:15 PM
    • Buyog's Lair
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 10:37:40 PM »
I would've liked it if you'd asked for permission to use the Hal Jordan base first...  :| Then I could've told you it was custom work by PrimeOp, and could point you to the bases he used so you could reference them as well.

But hey, water under the bridge. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. ;)

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
    • CVG United
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 01:13:50 AM »
Hey Buyog...I think the PM will explain this mess lol  :)

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 02:09:34 AM »
I would've liked it if you'd asked for permission to use the Hal Jordan base first...  :| Then I could've told you it was custom work by PrimeOp, and could point you to the bases he used so you could reference them as well.

But hey, water under the bridge. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. ;)

Man , it was just a sprite edit for fun . It's not like he is making this into a character . Prior to what you may have heard , I respect the so called " unnofficial laws of mugen " Even though it's a free engine & people should be able to do whatever they want with it . But some guys , somewhere , decided to ruin everyone's fun by becoming " the selfproclaimed rulers of all that is mugen " & make up their own guidelines . OK , so many people are brainwashed into those guidlines , it seems they have to be followed by everyone .

It's not easy being wolf in a big herd of sheep . The sheep still win because of numbers .

But I don't get this ? No one should even bring up that a guy edited something , just to make an artistic interpetation with one sprite . Once again if this was in the WIP section , I could see your point 100% . But to make this statement about one sprite for fun , isn't that stretching the rules pretty far ?

I'm just curious about this

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:21:25 AM by DARKTALBAIN »

(click to show/hide)

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 02:29:48 AM »

Looks like a magneto edit to me, based on the posturing. Becides, arnt those Hal Jordan Sprites based on MamboJambo's sprites you have for download on scruffydragons.com?

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
    • CVG United
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 02:57:09 AM »
Funny you say that SpiderMew bc I thought that this sprite was a Magneto edit in the first place....and DT you are right I never intended to turn this sprite into a char...at most a 3 sprite stance lol...like I said I pm'd you Buyog and explained what happened nothing bad was meant

Offline aPoCaLyPsE

• :+:Simply Twist'D:+:
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 30, 2018, 06:11:39 PM
  • ...I spit blood before I speak...
    • -"aPoCaLyPsE's Bio... Enter with Caution..."
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 02:58:07 AM »
I would've liked it if you'd asked for permission to use the Hal Jordan base first... :| Then I could've told you it was custom work by PrimeOp, and could point you to the bases he used so you could reference them as well.

Looks like a magneto edit to me, based on the posturing. Becides, arnt those Hal Jordan Sprites based on MamboJambo's sprites you have for download on scruffydragons.com?

I see kinda see Hal too. This is Dr. Strange on a Magneto Base

Exactly. No need to get hung up on minor things as such. The Sprite looks cool, and definently a step in the right direction.

-"aPoC."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:05:35 AM by aPoCaLyPsE »

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 03:02:19 AM »
I would've liked it if you'd asked for permission to use the Hal Jordan base first... :| Then I could've told you it was custom work by PrimeOp, and could point you to the bases he used so you could reference them as well.

I see kinda see Hal too. This is Dr. Strange on a Mageneto Base

Exactly. No need to get hung up on minor things as such. The Sprite looks cool, and definently a step in the right direction.

-"aPoC."

Hey Apoc , does Spooky have permission to use those examples you did & animate them ?

(click to show/hide)

Offline aPoCaLyPsE

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 03:04:29 AM »
Yeh, if he wants to use 'em for his stance, be my guess.

-"aPoC."

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
    • CVG United
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 03:07:03 AM »

I see kinda see Hal too. This is Dr. Strange on a Mageneto Base

-"aPoC."

Apoc...I love how youve thinned out magneto since the last time I saw those sprites  :)

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 03:11:49 AM »
Thanx Apoc  :thumbsup:

(click to show/hide)

Offline aPoCaLyPsE

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 03:13:40 AM »
@ Spooky: Good eye.  :thumbsup:

@ DT: No prob, better to be put to use then to go back to the vault.

-"aPoC."

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 08:31:40 AM »
Maybe Spookey was following Mugen Fighters Guild Rules when he edited Dr Strange.

Funny how everyone edits off Capcom bases, but then dont share that same generosity with their sprites. If it was a WIP I could see the gripe (somewhat) but to ask permission for a single sprite edit is downright ridiculous.

Spooky is a good kid, to break out the Mugen Police card on him is just sad.

Offline b.easy

• Global Moderator
  • Last Login:December 01, 2022, 11:28:07 PM
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 09:02:37 AM »
Spoiler guys, disassemble. I don't know about ya'll, but if someone edited over the sprite in my avatar that i worked all afternoon on and made him into Blade or something I'd be a little miffed too.

As far as your edit, it needs some work. The legs look good, but the gloves, shirt, and face need a little more shading and detail work.

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 09:30:07 AM »
Spoiler guys, disassemble. I don't know about ya'll, but if someone edited over the sprite in my avatar that i worked all afternoon on and made him into Blade or something I'd be a little miffed too.

As far as your edit, it needs some work. The legs look good, but the gloves, shirt, and face need a little more shading and detail work.

I guess we have differant opinions then, because it doesnt bother me a bit. Boris did an edit of the 1st Joker alpha a while back, and I was honored by it. I just feel that you should keep your stuff private, and offline if youre not willing to share is my philosophy.

its not like he's taking credit for it. People need to be more mature in the Mugen Community, MUGEN means free, and none of these kids are trying to pizz in anybodies cheerios, theyre just having some fun learning to Sprite edit. Theres no rules actually saying how that knowledge is aquired, nor should their be. Instead of calling people thieves, or using without permission they should put their energy into helping them get better at it, even if that means swallowing pride, and forgiving a little sprite edit for fun.

These are just kids having some fun. And most sprites are all edited, and spliced Capcom stuff anyways, the notion that you need to ask to edit someone elses fan art for a single sprite edit is a little ridiculous. I mean should Jim Lee, or Frank Miller come hear and tell Acey she needs perission to use their art style in the Batman intro's?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:45:46 AM by ALEXZIQ »

Offline b.easy

• Global Moderator
  • Last Login:December 01, 2022, 11:28:07 PM
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:42:42 AM »
You misunderstand me, buddy. I'm on the open source list, I could care less how my stuff is used. But when it comes to something like this, it would be much easier to reconstruct the base themself.

It's not too hard to understand the two different camps when it comes to spriting philosophy :
1. companies : fair game
2. Individual edits : use with discretion

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 09:51:23 AM »
You misunderstand me, buddy. I'm on the open source list, I could care less how my stuff is used. But when it comes to something like this, it would be much easier to reconstruct the base themself.

It's not too hard to understand the two different camps when it comes to spriting philosophy :
1. companies : fair game
2. Individual edits : use with discretion

Your right its not hard to understand, but its not everyones philosophy. Also its pretty hypocritical and a little extreme for just editing a single sprite.

People are taking this a little too serious.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:17:01 AM by ALEXZIQ »

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 11:42:51 AM »
Spoiler guys, disassemble.
What are we, the Bizzaro World Avengers?  :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie ;*))
To be honest i haddent even seen dt's post before I posted mine.
I know having someone who's got a big name in a comunity saying you've stolen something can be very discouraging.
I want him to be able to feal like he can still pratice spriting and get better.
I had a simmular thing happen to me several years ago that stoped me from sprite editing for years, and i didnt do anything worng, it just looked like i did. I stoped sprite editing for years, I didnt get back to it till i made my first Sniper Joe sprite back almost a year ago now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:49:59 AM by SpiderMew »

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
    • CVG United
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 12:10:18 PM »
Im not discouraged by this at all lol...it was just a case of me not remembering what I edited lol...something as goofy as this isnt gonna keep me from doing what I really like to do...Im still learning and becoming a better spriter...SpiderMew ask DT what Im working on...its gonna be sweet  :thumbsup:

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 12:17:05 PM »
Im not discouraged by this at all lol...it was just a case of me not remembering what I edited lol...something as goofy as this isnt gonna keep me from doing what I really like to do...Im still learning and becoming a better spriter...SpiderMew ask DT what Im working on...its gonna be sweet  :thumbsup:

Im going to guess...
Because dt asked if you could use those sprites... umm im gonna say....

Doctor Strangefate?

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 01:47:23 PM »
Good for you Spooky. I admit this is something thats a tad personal to me. Most of the guys that all Sprite for me, were flamed at one point for doing something that didnt fit into this invisible rule book. All very talented, but cast aside. Now those same guys are spriting stuff for Infinity's Batman, and are getting offers from other teams to help them. Its time for a better era in Mugen with less drama, less ego, less eletism, and more stewardship, and maturity.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 03:24:13 PM »
I have to agree , I learned how to sprite by editing an existing character . I decided to make Hobgoblin a character instead of just a sprite edit . So as much as people talk , I did things the right way . Got permission from Acey to use Green Goblin & made Hobs . It was a learning process for me & I think my work on Medieval Spawn , Wolvenom is a drastic improvement because of it . I have my own animations & developed my own style . Without that Hobgoblin learning process , I would have never got to where I am in spriting . I'm sure if I stick with this , I'll improve more .

Now I got permission because I jumped head first into making a full character . If I was just editing one sprite for fun , I wouldn't think it was necessary to ask . This eletist attitude can discourage a new creator who could possibly be the next Loganir , Acey , etc ..... Look at Loganir's Bane , it was nothing compared to his later works . He had to start learning somewhere .

Do we want this eletist attitude to stop us from possibly seeing the next Loganir  in what is a dying engine ? This engine creation process is dying & we need more young creators like Z666 , Ultraroboninja , Hybasuku , SpOOKy , the list goes on ......

I support the new creators , because I remember what it's like to be one . Look at what I have tried to do for that Hybasuku guy ?

Now as for Spooky .....

I can say this did not discourage him & he is playing a part in something big . Were not going to talk about that though . You guys will all have to wait & see . But Spooky is going to be fine . The next kid that does something like this & get " repremanded " for it . I'm not too sure of .

@ Mew
 I did not ask Spooky to make a Dr Strange sprite . But I seen that he did  & my wheels started turning . I am giving a young creator a chance to be part of something in this community . Contribute & have his name in something important . Most of the time you don't get an opportunity to do that until you've " proven " yourself . I am letting the young creators in now so to speak . I was trying to get a few more , actually .   

For the record this is not a grudge here . I have no problem with buyog . I actually have spoken to him on youtube a few times . But I think his statement over an edit of one sprite is a little uncalled for & discouraging to young talent , learning the ropes through practice .

(click to show/hide)

Offline Buyog

• Scruffy Dragons
  • Last Login:June 05, 2013, 09:58:15 PM
    • Buyog's Lair
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
o.O# DUDES. Go back and read my post. I defy you to find the supposed hostility and newbie-hate you seem to see there. I told Spooky this was ok with me, but that I'd appreciate a shout-out next time. THAT'S ALL. Honestly, the only reason I even knew about this thread is because Spooky himself PM'ed me about it as a heads-up... it's not like I patrol the MUGEN forums and jump down people's throats about stuff like this... I was just giving him my explicit approval before anybody else called him on it.

So let's just cut the drama and get back to helping Spooky improve his sprite skills, yes?  :)

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 [28] 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal