collapse

Author Topic: Today on Why is it?: Appreciation vs. Criticism  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:May 22, 2024, 08:58:55 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
Today on Why is it?: Appreciation vs. Criticism
« on: December 02, 2007, 04:05:22 PM »
Why is it that whenever a character or stage or something is release, whether it is final or beta, does a thread get 4-5 pages of:
"Man (insert character/stage/etc) rocks! You rock! Downloading now."
or simply "Great release!  :thumbsup:"
When the creator would like some feedback to go with said homage?

How can one say that something rocks when one have not even tried out the creation? How can it be a great release if it has been seen in action? Because let's be honest, sometimes that character/stage/etc does not rock. Sometimes that character/stage/etc is lame. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes, it even blows.

Is the motive to kiss the poverbal @$$ of said creator?

Is the motive simply to respond as fast as possible to prove one's involvement in the forum?

Is the motive to just get that one more post to add to one's total?

Now I'm not trying to call anyone out or start a flame war with anybody, or even saying that I'm ungreatful for the creations that are released. On the contrary, I'm glad to see business is good. I'm just making statements on things that I have observed during my time on the "serious internets". Whatever the case maybe, I'm sure creators would like more than anything for their respective audience to give them a side of "things to improve on" to go along with that serving of "Hell's yeah!" That's all.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 04:40:44 PM by G Lux »

(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline Marancv

• Spriting Masta and
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:December 05, 2019, 01:31:04 PM
  • Check out My NEW SITE! ;P
    • marancv's Hidden Place
Re: Why is it? Mugen Edition
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:24:59 PM »
think in this bro:
if a friend of ya tells u :
"hey, i just got married with my dreamed match"
you'd say "mm i cant tell u nuthin' untill i see your wife's performance???"

NO! u say CONGRATS!
after that, u meet your firen's wife, and then express your opinion of her..(mybe XD)

Offline DMK

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:February 21, 2022, 03:57:45 AM
    • Ascended M.U.G.E.N.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 06:28:12 PM »
In backing up those responses.

Not many understand the coding basics.

The use of the de-bug menu.

And how CLSN's are properly formed.

As much as we joke on the

"LOL NICE CAR DOWNLOADING NAO TANKS LOTZ BRO LOL"

I can't hold it against them if they have no idea how to give proper feedback.

It's just something you have to learn naturaly.

Offline A!

• Novice Coder
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:August 03, 2019, 06:10:28 PM
  • Don't Hate If You Cant Create
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »
Weird topic....

and marans right
A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

Offline BigJ

• Contributor
  • Last Login:March 25, 2015, 02:28:49 PM
    • BigJ's Mugen site
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:37:25 PM »
Because most people appreciate when they are complimented or thanked, rather than a bunch of people downloading the content and running off without saying a word.

Offline Marancv

• Spriting Masta and
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:December 05, 2019, 01:31:04 PM
  • Check out My NEW SITE! ;P
    • marancv's Hidden Place
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 06:46:22 PM »
and first of all. the creator is SHARING his/her creation. when has always the option of dont do it.
the less u can say, doesnt matters if is a good stuff or not; is thnx.
or congrats for the release!
or great, man!
good vibe, thats all about.

Offline Fallen_Angel

• Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:July 04, 2012, 03:11:05 PM
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 06:48:53 PM »
The creatos not only need feedback they need to know that the other people like your char/stage, the feedback make you improve, and the congrats makes you know that you did a good work :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:39:02 PM by Fallen_Angel »

sig made by shullbocka

Offline Sabaki

• Theory Coder
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:December 28, 2014, 03:28:33 AM
  • Busy, as always
    • Wikipedia - Sabaki's Page
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »
People saying nothing but thanks and this is great is feedback and just as important as debug report. Sure, there are times when bug report's more important & needed, and you have those few who will do just that.  On the other hand, after spending months of coding, sprite editing, and what not, creators would like to get a pat on the back...even if it's not a great creation.

Besides, some people really may just enjoy the creation as long as it plays well and is fun. They're being honest with their compliments, too.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:58:25 PM by sabaki »

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
  • Last Login:October 15, 2021, 10:01:22 AM
  • Infinity News Reporter and Journalist
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 06:59:55 PM »
People saying nothing but thanks and this is great is just as important as feedback. Sure, there are times when feedback's more important, and you have those few who will do just that.  On the other hand, after spending months of codin g, sprite editing, and what not, creators would like to get a pat on the back...even if it's not a great creation.

Besides, some people really may just enjoy the creation as long as it plays well and is fun. They're being honest with their compliments, too.
QFT...creators do spend their free time to share their creations with all of us,and as a sign of consideration,it´s good to tell them "good character" or "testing right now"
Of course posts with real feedback(bugs,things that are wrong on coding,debug errors)are more useful,but the first ones work also for the creator to say "If they liked this one,i´m sure they´ll like the next" or something similar,which will encourage to keep creating :)

Offline The Rippah, Roo'Jizah Panzermanathod

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:December 02, 2009, 03:48:41 PM
  • No place for Panzer to call home.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 09:00:48 PM »
"That's great" and "That's cool" is good and all, but I really wish people would say that stuff *after* they play it.
Punctuation and capitalization can make the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse," and, "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."

92% of people have moved onto rap. If you're part of the 8% who thinks rap isn't music, sucks to be you.

Most newer stuff sucks, though.

Offline Sabaki

• Theory Coder
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:December 28, 2014, 03:28:33 AM
  • Busy, as always
    • Wikipedia - Sabaki's Page
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 09:22:06 PM »
"That's great" and "That's cool" is good and all, but I really wish people would say that stuff *after* they play it.

That's true. Well, can't force people to give feedback after they've tried the creation. Better that then those who don't give any feedback, I guess.

Offline The Great Matsutzu

• Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:April 17, 2009, 10:03:33 AM
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »
I agree with Sabaki. Sometimes after someone's tried the creation, they simply forget to post once they've actually sat down and tried it.

Offline .:K.I.N.G:.

• King &
  • Global Moderator
  • Last Login:May 16, 2013, 07:18:26 PM
  • Accepting All Challenges
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 09:41:05 PM »
some times you just write nice words only to be nice to the creator who spent time an effort trying to make this character even if you haven't tried the character yet..you know some ppl might just be busy to test right after the release..so it really depend sooner or later it don't matter as long as you test and give feedback.
also some ppl just don't test cuse they are not much of a fighting game experts to say to tell the wrongs from rights or even notice bugs. :O*D
I'm a Dude Playing a Dude, Disguised as Another Dude

Offline Lightblackheart

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 03, 2014, 10:33:27 PM
  • infinity's personal Dimentional Jester
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 09:54:09 PM »
i do this:
simply post i was nice, i will test it, and the after the testing i leave negative/positive feedback thats all  :-??

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:May 22, 2024, 08:58:55 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 01:13:57 AM »
think in this bro:
if a friend of ya tells u :
"hey, i just got married with my dreamed match"
you'd say "mm i cant tell u nuthin' untill i see your wife's performance???"

NO! u say CONGRATS!
after that, u meet your firen's wife, and then express your opinion of her..(mybe XD)

K, I see where you went with this, but that kinda doesn't apply in this case. I mean think about it. That illustration is a whole lot more personal then a thread post. I mean, typically, most people are posting off the very computer that they are playing M.U.G.E.N on. So what I mean is that it wouldn't kill them take 5 minutes to download first, play with it a little, then say "congrats on the release, awesome character" or along those lines. A slightly delayed congraulation is still a positive expression of favor, but it can mean so much more.

Let's say someone lets a character out that looks nice in a screenshot, but has some major flaws. If you've got the first few pages of "awesome" and "epic win" and then finally a few users get around to addressing the issue, the creator may assume that a few are complaining and may not decide to fix said problem, saying "well that's how i code" or something to the like (Still Not Taking Shots at ANYBODY!).

Whereas if some feedback is left early on with thanks given for the release, it has a more effective infulence. "There are some things to work out, but hey, they like what I've got so far" That's what I mean overall.

Because most people appreciate when they are complimented or thanked, rather than a bunch of people downloading the content and running off without saying a word.

Well that... That there is just plain "Juhach" (Don't bother looking that up, it's not a word). That's just the Me-First-American way. Do for self, forgo all others. I for one feel that is insulting.

The creatos not only need feedback they need to know that the other people like your char/stage, the feedback make you improve, and the congrats makes you know that you did a good work :thumbsup:

That's exactly what I mean. I'm not saying bombard the creator with "fix this, fix that". Half the time, I don't need to leave feedback cause usually someone already mentions what I was gonna say. I just don't get the first few pages of  :thumbsup: before SOMEONE notices something.

some ppl just don't test cuse they are not much of a fighting game experts to say to tell the wrongs from rights or even notice bugs. :O*D

You know, that's an interesting point you've made. The world of Sprite Combat is very diverse. Can't expect everyone who posts to be "versed" if you will in what style of game the characters they download are from. Me, I grew up Cap-happy, but I couldn't even tell you who or what Orochi is.
Well said, well said.  :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:32:02 AM by Glux247 »
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline .:K.I.N.G:.

• King &
  • Global Moderator
  • Last Login:May 16, 2013, 07:18:26 PM
  • Accepting All Challenges
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 02:59:15 AM »
it depends on what you look for while testing and how you play the game cus you might miss on some stuff that are obvious to other ppl
well personally i'm a big fighting game fan i don't say that i'm an expert but i do know what i'm talking about when it comes to testing and bugs...
when to hit and when to get hit, distances and stuff like that...also common characters rules
most of my games are fighting games.

i like to help out improving th creation so my first goal after getting a new character is testing maybe not right away but i test eventually..i don't play as much as i test really.
i pretty much know almost every fighting game physics 3d or 2d mostly the well known ones.
i play by numbers,timing, and mostly make use of enemy mistakes...i never button mash lol
as much as i love the fast action i play basically some times with out getting to know all of my characters moves.
most of them would do till i learn the rest lol mostly when its a new game or when new moves are added to the character..still a fast combo player wont really affect me cus i still know how to beat him.
it really depends on how much you know about a fighting games and the time you played em.

but when it comes to mugen it's CHAOS with every character has his own rules lol
like attacking before the round starts, cheapness, not hit by controllers that weren't in the actually games for some moves, hit and get hit boxes, random damages...etc

i say testing and giving feedback is fun..still it not so easy for some ppl

I'm a Dude Playing a Dude, Disguised as Another Dude

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 [28] 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal