collapse

Author Topic: GAROU MOTW 2  (Read 6343 times)

Offline L...

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 13, 2013, 08:57:35 PM
    • Email
GAROU MOTW 2
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
Garou Mark of The Wolves II is a fighting game  based on the original game Garou MOTW launched in 1999, it has a new game system with influences of a lot of games and original ideas, trying to bring some inovation for the game system of the fighting games. I am working on it alone, now working on the 2nd char (Andy Bogard) using Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 sprites, if anyone want to join  me on this, i would appreciate a help with screenpack and lifebars because the game don't have its own yet.
The video link is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDzd5o_Rwmk&feature=player_embedded#

Opinions are very welcome.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:04:58 AM by L... »

Offline Macaulyn97

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 04, 2024, 04:22:53 PM
    • Macaulyn
    • Macaulyn97's Channel
    • Email
Re: GAROU MOTW 2
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:08:35 AM »
he looks cool, who are the other chars?

Offline L...

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:28:10 AM »
All Original Garou MOTW chars (14 in total) and Andy Bogard (working on),May, Mary, Hon-Fu, Krauser, Joe, Yamazaki, Billy Kane, Franco Bash and Bob Wilson. As you can see, this is no short time project, but i will try to complete it in this year yet.

Offline ExeLord

• Smirking mage
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:May 07, 2024, 06:01:25 AM
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
That looks cool :thumbsup: I hope for full cast from Garou MOTW. As far I saw Kevin Rian(which is very good, finally got attention), Tizoc, Butt Khushnood (they both needed some love too), Kain, Kim Jae Hoon and Hotaru.
If you looking for more characters then RB FF2 - The Newcomers is looking like perfect source.
While I'm at it - maybe moving to back row like in RBFF2 isn't a bad idea when there's no T.O.P. :-??
As of what I saw in video - it looks very pleasing for eyes and "I WANT MOAR!!!11" ;D
---
Well, that cast is all I wished for, now it's time for me to wait for it :w00t:
What consumer society is?

"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »
All Original Garou MOTW chars (14 in total) and Andy Bogard (working on),May, Mary, Hon-Fu, Krauser, Joe, Yamazaki, Billy Kane, Franco Bash and Bob Wilson. As you can see, this is no short time project, but i will try to complete it in this year yet.

What about Nightmare geese? or Mr. Karate 2? Anyway, this looks cool.

Offline Tazzer

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:June 15, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »
This looks extremely cool.  I'm glad to see you are including Andy, Billy and Mary (some of my faves).   It would be cool to see an updated Cheng Sinzan (Or Jubei and Tung Fu Rue)   However the cast that you have there is a stellar one.   Just would like to see some of the lesser used FF chars get some love. Just something to consider.   If not, that's ok too.  I like the system you've worked out so I'm sure it'll be a great game.  :thumbsup:

Offline Ref Cortez

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:December 14, 2017, 02:06:29 PM
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 02:31:36 PM »
Good idea… god chars… good luck.
border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Offline novasod

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 30, 2017, 08:29:00 PM
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:17:17 PM »
You wanted opinions? Well, here we go...

1.Make sure, if possible, to keep every single single game mechanic from Garou intact. Just Defend, small jumps, superjumps, Supermoves, Breaking, etc.

2.When working in your new features, try to stay true to the spirit of the original game. Heck, Garou was pretty solid as is, so you don't really need much else. For one, I'd suggest not including a KOF-style roll. Garou already has Just Defend; having both could be overkill, and besides, you already have Just Defend for dealing with projectiles. I'd also suggest dialing back on the crazy combo's I saw in the video. Garou never had combo's like that, and it doesn't need them. A fighting game should be about fighting the opponent, not about about who can create the craziest, longest combo. If you're deadset on including them though, make sure to have Damage Scaling to offset those crazy combo's.

3.While bringing back some FF characters would be welcome, (Yamazaki...) and would certainly increase the roster size, it might be nice to include even just one entirely new character. You can even Frankenstien sprites together if you want, but seeing as most of the Garou cast was brand new, adding even just one new character would be a nice idea. (Such as Gato and Hotaru's father, for example...)

4.Also, a screenshot (that I can no longer find,) showed that SNK was working on Garou 2 before it got canned -- and they were planning to introduce Ryo, who was now calling himself Mr.Karate, and in the screenshots, (there were 2 of them,) even donned his own Tengu mask. Since SNK was planning on adding him anyway, you might as well add Ryo. Just make him play like he does in KoF, and he should be plenty different from Marco.

5.You're likely going to need bug-testing later down the line. I myself have plenty of experience with that, and would be willing to help out with that, if/when the time comes.

6.If you want this game to be more then just a Dreammatch, you're also going to need to continue Garou's story.  I myself have some experience in story-telling and plotting, so if you need some help in that, feel free to ask me.

...Aaaaand I think that's all for now. I'm personally interested the project, and look forward to seeing how it all turns out. Hope you keep at it, and good luck. ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:01:08 AM by novasod »

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 04:19:14 PM »

4.Also, a screenshot (that I can no longer find,) showed that SNK was working on Garou 2 before it got canned -- and they were planning to introduce Ryo, who was now calling himself Mr.Karate, and in the screenshots, (there were 2 of them,) even donned his own Tengu mask. Since SNK was planning on adding him anyway, you might as well add Ryo. Just make him play like he does in KoF, and he should be plenty different from Marco.

Hells yes! I think he culd do without the tengu mask though. Just the beard.

Found the screenshot:

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:31:37 AM »
1 - I suggest you edit the non-Garou characters so they actually look older.

2 - No Grant. He's dead.

Offline C.R.O.M. - Shadaloo Lives!

• Winner of Rounds 1, 5, & 13 in Last Person to Post Wins!, SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #61 Winner, and Shadaloo Office Worker
  • Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 13, 2023, 03:37:34 PM
  • Proud member of C.R.O.M. (Shadaloo Lives!)
    • C.R.O.M.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
 :O*D :O*D :O*D :O*D :O*D

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 18, 2024, 11:29:37 PM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »
nice idea. Any plans for new chars?

About Garou mechanics, I suggest you to remove Just Defend. That was the most stupid idea ever made for a fighting game.

2 - No Grant. He's dead.

Grant is a must have. If Geese can fall from the top of a buildin and still be alive, he can be too :)

Offline G.P.O.A - GatlingPunchRalf

• Idea and Advice
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 23, 2013, 07:31:01 AM
  • IMT's Unofficial Advisor and Brainstormer
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »
That was the most stupid idea ever made for a fighting game.
I liked it in that game, but the way they did it in SCV is a monstrosity.

Sprite Contest Organizer and Beloved Personality

Offline novasod

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 10:33:28 AM »
About Garou mechanics, I suggest you to remove Just Defend. That was the most stupid idea ever made for a fighting game.

Just Defend was a major part of what made Garou what it was. Taking that out would be like taking Plane Switching out of Fatal Fury; or Rolling out of KoF/ or Parrying out of SF3/etc. It's an essential feature, and if that were taken out, you might as well just call it something else.

Offline shootYr.

• [Magnum]
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 11, 2012, 07:27:16 PM
  • What're you gonna do to me?...
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 12:29:18 PM »

How is Just Defend stupid?

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
Just Defend was a major part of what made Garou what it was. Taking that out would be like taking Plane Switching out of Fatal Fury;

...exaclty the worst thing in Fatal Fury.

How is Just Defend stupid?

By defending an attack just before it connects, you can 'just defend' it. The just defend windows is normally 7 frames wide, and gives you the following benefits:

Air Defense: There is no air blocking in Garou, but you can JD in the air.
Gain Life: Regain a small amount of health for a successful JD, even against moves that would do chip damage when blocked.
Shorter blockstun: If an attack is JD'ed, the block stun is reduced by 2 frames, allowing you to recover faster.
Guard Cancel: Completing a special move (including T.O.P. attacks) during a JD will cause a Guard Cancel, immediately ending the block stun and going into the attack's animation. The motions of the command can be buffered before the JD occurs, or done entirely during the JD if you are fast enough.
No guard meter loss: JD'ing a move will not bring you closer to a guard crush like blocking will.
A Just Defense also increases your power gauge slightly

Is enough to you? You can Parry + no guard meter loss + increase power + REGAIN LIFE. Explain me how in the hell this is something good for players. I mean players, not kiddos who likes infinite combos.

But he is free to do whatever he wishes, since he is the author. Who doens't like it, simply don't download.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:13:10 PM by O Ilusionista »

Offline novasod

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 04:04:14 PM »
Is enough to you? You can Parry + no guard meter loss + increase power + REGAIN LIFE. Explain me how in the hell this is something good for players. I mean players, not kiddos who likes infinite combos.

...Sounds to me like it's just a good reward for knowing what you're doing. And seeing as I played myself too, I know that from experience.

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
Cool. you think that is good, and I think that is stupid.
We have a deal :)

Offline shootYr.

• [Magnum]
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 11, 2012, 07:27:16 PM
  • What're you gonna do to me?...
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »

What do kiddos who like infinite combos have to do with JD?

Just Defense is a mechanic that requires precision. One must anticipate an attack and act accordingly within a very small window. It's not some feature that's scrub friendly and can be easily abused. Press it too late and you get hit. Press it too early and you get a normal block. Press it too many times and you get a back dash. Causing you to lose an incredible amount of ground (Which is what you don't want if you're fighting against a character like Terry, Kain, or Grant).

You're being rewarded for using a mechanic that takes decent execution and reaction to properly use. Doesn't sound stupid to me but w/e.

Offline L...

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 05:36:24 AM »
Well, i am seeing that this game is being polemic even before the release, so i will explain the game system more clearly:

The just defend will be present, but is not exactly the same as in the original Garou, now there's not life gain, the player just will not loose life or guard meter, this change has to be done because the just defend is very easy to do, so i keep it but with less benefits.
The "block" move has included to be a guard offensive move, it is more dificult to do than the "just defend", high attacks can not be blocked in crouching position, this is very similar to parry (street fighter) and if the player do it in the wrong time, will be exposed to the opponent, when it is done right, a automatic attack is actioned with some invencibility frames, this automatic attack can be canceled with any skills of the character before the hit (this is the block cancel).

About the development, Andy Bogard now can walk, jump, run and do some attacks, i think he will be ready in two weeks!
thanks to everyone!

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 08:18:14 AM »
The just defend will be present, but is not exactly the same as in the original Garou, now there's not life gain, the player just will not loose life or guard meter, this change has to be done because the just defend is very easy to do, so i keep it but with less benefits.

then its enough for me ;)

Offline L...

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 04:13:30 PM »
"About Garou mechanics, I suggest you to remove Just Defend. That was the most stupid idea ever made for a fighting game."
I have to completely desagree about this, reeding what you say, i can see you never have learned how to play Garou (i am not trying to offend you), the just defend system is one of the bests of all fighting games, is much better than SF4's Focus and equivalent to SF3's parry, i am very experienced in fighting games (yes, i am older than 30) and because of that i can see there's no perfect system, but my block system is based in the original just defend, is just a refine of a good idea, currently the fighting games are more concern about graphics and theres no real inovation.

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 05:42:58 PM »
 :O*D :O*D :O*D :O*D
Groovey!
Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 05:46:31 PM »
I have to completely desagree about this, reeding what you say, i can see you never have learned how to play Garou (i am not trying to offend you)

You are not offending me, that is okay.

Offline L...

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:53 PM »
Andy is coming ...

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Street Fighter 1 Ultimate Ryu by ELECTRO
[May 22, 2024, 03:58:25 PM]

China Town (Revenge of Shinobi) by Lord_Enemil
[May 22, 2024, 03:02:10 PM]

Neon Light Force Demo by Uche_of_IMT
[May 22, 2024, 10:21:37 AM]

Marvel vs. Capcom: Eternity of Heroes REMAKE Game Update 1.3.0 - N.A.O.H. by Uche_of_IMT
[May 21, 2024, 11:50:20 PM]

The Spider release + Spider-Man game by kobun
[May 21, 2024, 02:05:24 AM]

Let's all try it together! Yazawanainn gose breakdancing in MUGEN! by GTFoxN6Y
[May 18, 2024, 05:00:14 PM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[May 18, 2024, 11:17:34 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 15, 2024, 01:25:51 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare