collapse

Author Topic: Kitana Sprite edit, based off my own design.  (Read 2162 times)

Offline Tazzer

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:June 15, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
    • Email
Kitana Sprite edit, based off my own design.
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:20:29 AM »
A while back I did a re-design of Mortal Kombat's Kitana.   

See the pic here: http://cvgunited.com/index.php/topic,2380.0.html

Well, recently I've been in the mood to start making more sprites and I decided to start with Kitana in the outfit I made for her.    I finished it tonight and want to know what you guys think:

Sprite Solo:

Against a backdrop w/ special guest:

I know it's not really the best work, but I'm not accustomed to sprite work (meaning: all of the franken-spriting and so forth.)  So it's just an edit of a single psylocke sprite.   :)

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 20, 2024, 07:30:49 PM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
Re: Kitana Sprite edit, based off my own design.
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:39:23 AM »
Pretty good actually. I think the face may need a little reworking though... but other than that. yeah! nice job! :)

Offline Tazzer

• Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:57:25 AM »
Thanks!   Yeah, I was actually thinking about the face after I posted.  I'll try to mess around with it a little.. if I like the result, I'll update the pic.

Offline ELECTRO

• Cosmic Creations
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:June 13, 2024, 03:13:24 PM
  • The Living Dynamo
    • THE-BEY0NDER
    • THE BEY0NDER
    • ELECTRO'S LAIR
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 01:04:30 AM »
I like the see threw boot & arm cuffs @-)

Offline Tazzer

• Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
Ha!  Believe it or not those were easier to do in the drawn pic I did!  I can't tell you how many times I redid them on the sprite trying to get them to look right.   Truth be told I'm still not completely happy with them.  However I was getting frustrated and figured it was as close as I was gonna get without throwing my laptop to the ground and doing a hate dance on it.

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 11, 2014, 01:31:07 PM
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:49:32 PM »
The sprite is pretty good. It definitely needs more shading. There's a lot of opaqueness going on there, and that's definitely bringing it down quality wise. It also contrasts with the "jpeg-ish" quality of the silky parts of her costume. Speaking of which, they need to be smoothed out. As previously stated, her face also needs work.

Onto the design itself. It just doesn't scream "Kitana" to me. That may be do to all the additional clothing. Not that I'm saying she's a slut or anything, but she was an assassin, and in that regard, her style became very sleek.

Offline Enso

• C.R.O.M. Dancer, Sprite Artist, Winner of Sprite of the Week Contest #71, and Winner of Round 6 and 15 in Last Person To Post Wins!
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 11, 2024, 03:41:40 AM
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 10:19:11 PM »
Dude. That Kitana there looks way awesome. :wow: I like the face. ;) Also, I like the whole outfit of hers. ;) Good job. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Sig by TGM

(click to show/hide)

Offline Tazzer

• Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 10:19:52 PM »
The sprite is pretty good. It definitely needs more shading. There's a lot of opaqueness going on there, and that's definitely bringing it down quality wise. It also contrasts with the "jpeg-ish" quality of the silky parts of her costume. Speaking of which, they need to be smoothed out. As previously stated, her face also needs work.

Onto the design itself. It just doesn't scream "Kitana" to me. That may be do to all the additional clothing. Not that I'm saying she's a slut or anything, but she was an assassin, and in that regard, her style became very sleek.

*nods*  I'll be honest, Shading = Total weak point for me.  I've been trying to get better.   I gotta hand it to all the sprite artists out there.  This is definitely not easy and they do an awesome job of it with hundreds of sprites.. let alone just one.  I will definitely try harder with the shading.

As far as the costume goes.. I dunno if you looked at just the sprite, or the actual drawn pic... but the look I was going for was geared more toward the Princess side of her history.   Kitana hasn't been an assassin for a long time now in the MK verse.  She's stepped up more into her role as Princess of Edenia.  I wanted to reflect that in her look by giving her an outfit that was Regal-looking yet, still let you know she was a warrior.   I dunno, perhaps I failed.. but that was my line of thinking with the design.

Thanks alot for the CC, I'll use it to try to improve my spriting in the future.  :)

Enso:  Thanks a lot!  I'm glad you like it.

Offline elee0031

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:53:32 PM
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 11:04:24 PM »
Truth be told, Kitana is not Kitana without the mask over the face. So you can knock 2 birds with 1 stone on the face and likeness of the character. You should be able to find the mask from Psylocke intro where she morphs from a ninja to her current x-men costume. All you really need is the head.

And I really wanted to see the fan or fan toss and see if it looks MKish.

As she stands right now I like the new clothing but the head is still psylocke, so you don't have a Kitana you have a movie star psylocke from X-Men children of the Atom - if you remember psylocke's ending in the game she wears a dress.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 11, 2014, 01:31:07 PM
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 07:13:53 AM »
*nods*  I'll be honest, Shading = Total weak point for me.  I've been trying to get better.   I gotta hand it to all the sprite artists out there.  This is definitely not easy and they do an awesome job of it with hundreds of sprites.. let alone just one.  I will definitely try harder with the shading.

As far as the costume goes.. I dunno if you looked at just the sprite, or the actual drawn pic... but the look I was going for was geared more toward the Princess side of her history.   Kitana hasn't been an assassin for a long time now in the MK verse.  She's stepped up more into her role as Princess of Edenia.  I wanted to reflect that in her look by giving her an outfit that was Regal-looking yet, still let you know she was a warrior.   I dunno, perhaps I failed.. but that was my line of thinking with the design.

Thanks alot for the CC, I'll use it to try to improve my spriting in the future.  :)

Enso:  Thanks a lot!  I'm glad you like it.

I feel you on the princess thing, and I could totally see her wearing that outside of combat. But in combat, I think it'd conflict with her fighting style.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Virtual Bart Science Fair by Lord_Enemil
[June 15, 2024, 08:23:51 PM]

Classic VS : Cheng / Athena by ELECTRO
[June 13, 2024, 03:03:58 PM]

Marvel vs. Capcom: Eternity of Heroes REMAKE Game Update 1.3.0 - N.A.O.H. by Uche_of_IMT
[June 10, 2024, 11:25:24 PM]

Street Fighter Spec Ops 2021 by O Ilusionista
[June 08, 2024, 01:36:06 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[June 06, 2024, 07:34:10 PM]

Kirby the Dream Battle by O Ilusionista
[June 06, 2024, 01:04:12 PM]

Neo Geo Pocket by malevka2
[June 05, 2024, 10:53:57 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:18:12 PM]

[BOR] _Avengers United Battle Force_ by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:13:51 PM]

Mega Man & Bass - Dynamo Man by Sir Rousseau by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:09:50 PM]

* IMT Calendar