collapse

Author Topic: Is anyone else tired of paying to unlock stuff?  (Read 798 times)

Offline Whoblehwah

• Infinity Graphic Designer
  • Last Login:May 23, 2019, 04:17:10 PM
  • Waka waka doo doo yeah!
    • Email
Is anyone else tired of paying to unlock stuff?
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:00:36 AM »
This whole trend of stuff that should be unlockable being downloadable instead is PISSING ME OFF! I just find it so ridiculous. Whatever happened to the good 'ol days when we had to actually work to get stuff in games? Comapnies are really abusing the abilitiy to create downloadable content and the sad thing is, I doubt they'll stop doing this anytime soon. These greedy bastards make money this way, and lord knows how much video game companies love money. Lets look at some examples shall we?

Street Fighter 4: Why the hell do we have to pay for costumes? Why can't we just beat the game with the character whose costume we want and get it that way? Why not make it a reward for completing that characters trials? I know we don't HAVE to download them, but if they're already on the disc we shouldn't have to pay for them. The game itself is $60. Buying all the costumes (on PSN) is $12 if you get them together, $20 if you got them all in the individual packs. $20 for stuff thats on the disc I already paid $60 for? Thats just messed up.

Soul Calibur 4: Once again a company decides to make us pay for something we should be able to unlock. Everyone here probably already knows about the whole Darth Vader/Yoda situation. Theres plenty of characters to unlock/"buy" in the game. Namco deciding to make us have two pay for these two is just so WRONG!

Megaman 9: You buy the game. You beat it. Ok, now lets say you wanna play as Protoman. Well, you beat the game, he should be unlocked now right? NOPE! Gotta buy him. This isn't such a big deal since he's only like $2 extra, but paying for A HARDER DIFFICULTY SETTING?! WHY! What the hell was Capcom thinking! If I wanted the game to be harder I'd go to the options menu and turn up the difficulty! I wish I could find the guy who thought this was a good idea, so I can kick him in the babymaker!

I could list more examples, but I'm sure you guys already know them. Basically the whole point of this rant is simple: I HATE paying for stuff I shouldn't have to pay for! Back in the days, you bought the game and that was it. Everything you could unlock was already there and it was up to you to get it. It seems that game developers felt they were losing money this way, so now instead of unlocking stuff we have to buy it. This whole trend in gaming just makes me feel like companies don't even care about us anymore. All they care about is taking our money. If I knew how to start an online petition for companies to stop this madness I would, but hell, they probably wouldn't listen unless we paid for that too. =\   

/end rant

92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature.

Offline MirageAtoli

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:May 13, 2011, 03:25:23 AM
  • Oh, my Paws and Whiskers!
Re: Is anyone else tired of paying to unlock stuff?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 01:04:35 AM »
The whole point of DLC was to be able to let the developers create content for after the game was on the market, to make it future-proof. It least that was my initial understanding.

I wonder what ever happened to that idea.

Offline The Rippah, Roo'Jizah Panzermanathod

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:December 02, 2009, 03:48:41 PM
  • No place for Panzer to call home.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 01:37:49 AM »
The new generation of expansion packs!

I can't say I have any experience with it. Newest game I own (and able to play) is Final Fantasy 9.
Punctuation and capitalization can make the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse," and, "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."

92% of people have moved onto rap. If you're part of the 8% who thinks rap isn't music, sucks to be you.

Most newer stuff sucks, though.

Offline jaysteve

• Initiate
  • Last Login:February 18, 2017, 02:41:28 AM
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 03:47:55 AM »
well like what was said before it was supposed to be something for game developers to use after the game was realeased basically to up replay value. Games like cod with there map packs and fable with there extra missions are good examples of this. But with all good things of course there are gonna be those who take advantage of this and you listed good examples (street fighter 4 etc. etc).

So I guess were gonna have to take the good with the bad, and decide for yourself if its worth it to spend 6$ on a few new costumes or a few new map packs

Offline Founder of SonicX

• Initiate
  • Last Login:November 19, 2020, 10:55:02 PM
    • SonicX Mugen Forum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 04:10:14 AM »
I didn't have to pay for the SF4 costumes they came with a bundle pack that I bought.

But yea like it was stated above some developers make this add-ons later on down the road for extra profit. Like some games may have a hard difficulty level but then a add-on may come saying difficulty level harder, or something like that cause I think I saw it for the Sonic game if I am not mistaken

Offline Random Regular

• heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 09, 2018, 05:54:53 AM
  • ??!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 05:04:06 AM »
I don't really care for some things because I work, But the part I really hate is that you need to buy this with creditcard, I don't understand why Sony just doesn't make PSN cards for Europe, In this country nobody needs a creditcard..
PSN cards will come here maybe......Next year?
So I won't be able to play games like MvC2 till next year.

Oh, Yeah, And Konami...
Use the damn PSN for the downloadable content! \-/o

Offline Founder of SonicX

• Initiate
  • Last Login:November 19, 2020, 10:55:02 PM
    • SonicX Mugen Forum
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »
I don't really care for some things because I work, But the part I really hate is that you need to buy this with creditcard, I don't understand why Sony just doesn't make PSN cards for Europe, In this country nobody needs a creditcard..
PSN cards will come here maybe......Next year?
So I won't be able to play games like MvC2 till next year.

Oh, Yeah, And Konami...
Use the damn PSN for the downloadable content! \-/o

You guys don't have pre-paid debit cards

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 20, 2024, 07:30:49 PM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 11:14:38 AM »
I agree with the topic starter... like Midnight Club: LA & Burnout Paradise... why the f**k do I need to pay MORE $$ to have access to extra cities? The new city(ies) should have been available in an update instead of DLC so that when and if I've already beaten the game I could have unlocked it.. but no.. I have to pay another $10-$15 for a whole nother city or two.. like what kind of bullcrap is that... I can see how they're making the stuff now... because they want to earn more money in the bad economy... but... yeah.. that sh*t better go away when the economy gets back up or I'll be pissed... Downloadable content should be provided free... I can see themes and image packs costing us like $5 or $10... but dlc for a game I already bought.. costing money? yeah... ok... That makes a whole lick of sense... o.O#

Offline MaverickZr0

• S-Rank
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:November 25, 2016, 02:18:47 AM
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 03:31:20 PM »
Well, I don't like any of the SF4 Alternate costumes :0

But I see what you're sayin' those things shouldn't be payed for.

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:February 23, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »
I don't see anything wrong with paying for extra content, as I was under the impression that that was what the point of DLC was. Big whoop if it was on the disc already or not. I see a bigger problem with paying to unlock things that are already unlockable in the game without paying, or paying MS points to get extra money in a RPG.

Post Merge: June 20, 2009, 09:12:20 PM
furthermore (now that I'm reading more posts in the topic), I think things like picture packs and themes should be free, and extra content in games should be payed for. If I bought burnout paradise (which I would never do because it's a terrible, horrible game) I would have bought it under the assumption that I would have a certain city to play in, then later when a new city was available for download, I would be stoked that the developers made a new one for me (as opposed to saying "oh well, time to work on burnout paradise 2: the clone wars or something"), and be happy to buy it.

spending five dollars on a glorified wallpaper and some AIM buddy icons, on the other hand, is unacceptable.

Offline KudosForce

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 18, 2011, 07:01:38 PM
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
It's a good thing that I didn't get to experience this sort of thing (my mom doesn't allow me to have wi-fi  8=|). This is a pointless move whose only purpose is giving more money to the industry, just so you can even get some extra features.

That said, I'll wait for the day that Capcom decides to release Mega Man 9 on physical media. [-O<
Mission complete!

-Rolento

92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature

Offline Scar

• Dragonslayer
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:July 29, 2016, 10:49:53 AM
  • Cobra Mugen Team
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 09:15:55 PM »
Yeah, I know what you mean..

Its a bunch of crap if you ask me..

This is why I just play the game and once im done with it, im done with it..

Im not gonna spend extra money to unlock other stuff hidden in a game.

f**k that and f**k Capcom if thats how they are going to make MvC3.

I will hate them for ever if they pull that crap on any future vs games..
!!Unite, Mobilize, Destroy!!

Offline moonmaster1

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:November 06, 2014, 10:42:08 PM
  • Amateur Movie Maker
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
Nazi Zombies, that was the bottom of the barrel for me. As soon as I bought map pack 1, map pack 2 came out.

Had only enough points for one, ='(.

Even worse is that certain developers are releasing games in physical form with all DLC included. How do you think that makes people feel that they had to join xbox live to download a game just to find its in a dvd format.

DLC is gone over time, discs last. just make sense to give the devs more time to develop stuff. releasing DLC on a DVD is an insult to those who bought the original game.

*prays that MVC3 will be intact all at once* I swear, If I see DLC, I'll wait till a disc comes out then download it cause I won't put up with that.

okay, rant over.  :)
We don’t need a toilet. The pile of clothes in the hallway has worked fine for us for years, and it will continue to work. — Master Shake

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 10:29:56 PM »
Releasing things later in physical format is a low blow, I must admit. I was pretty annoyed to find out that all of the gears 2 maps that I just bought came free on a disc that I had to buy to get some disc only maps that aren't available online.

Offline AceWonder20

• The Ace of all Trades
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 09, 2013, 11:03:16 AM
    • http://youtube.com/AceWonder20
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »

f**k that and f**k Capcom if thats how they are going to make MvC3.

I will hate them for ever if they pull that crap on any future vs games..

I agree 100% with that.  But with Capcom its very likely.  Its either DLC or 5 different versions of the same being released. lol
Siggy by shinrahunter

Check out my MUGEN vids here - YouTube - AceWonder20's Channel
PSN: AceWonder20

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
I see it as the future of Capcom fighting games actually, if they ever really catch on. It's kind of like Mugen.

Capcom can make a real Fighting Evolution that contain a base set of chars. Then as they develop more chars with various liscenses (Marvel, Tastsunoko, Capcom, etc...) then those characters can become available for download (just like Rock Band.) It's the only way that you will see a professionally lisenced Mugen on your game system.

Offering downloable content for a price is nice for many reasons:

1) Rather than paying more upfront for Megman/Protoman 9, you can just buy Megaman 9, then the real fans will have a choice if they want to pay that extra money or not.

2) It let's you pick and chose what you want in your game. In Rock Band I download the songs I want to have and skip the ones that I just don't care about. It's so much better than buying a whole 'nother game disk where I only like half the songs anwyays.

3) It gives incentive for the game company to develop more content. If they can make a dollar on each but of content then they'll keep on making more. Every game company makes games to make money after all.

Those are my thoughts.

Offline aristotle

• Contributor
  • Last Login:April 24, 2013, 05:36:53 PM
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
ever since these so called next gen systems with their so called "EXTRA" dLC were released, i knew they were bound to lead down this dark, evil path of money and laziness. the only good that arises from all this is that the games which are already great from the start, i.e. soul calibur, cod, halo, etc. get extra stuff down the line.

TomBewley

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 12:23:28 PM »
I don't mind paying if it is new stuff that would have not been in the original game eg Shivering Isles for Oblivion, Fallout 3

I do mind paying though if it is content that was specifically cut for the intention of DLC eg Vader/Yoda for SC4

DLC should be for extending games and adding features that where not originally intended to be in the game and not adding stuff that should have been in the game (what ever happened to unlocking extras?) such as SF4 costumes.

Hence why I love L4D! It added something that was supposed to be in the game, and did so free of charge! Good old Valve

Offline moonmaster1

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:November 06, 2014, 10:42:08 PM
  • Amateur Movie Maker
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:24 PM »
My thoughts exactly.  :thumbsup:
We don’t need a toilet. The pile of clothes in the hallway has worked fine for us for years, and it will continue to work. — Master Shake

Offline AceWonder20

• The Ace of all Trades
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 09, 2013, 11:03:16 AM
    • http://youtube.com/AceWonder20
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2009, 06:53:22 PM »

DLC should be for extending games and adding features that where not originally intended to be in the game and not adding stuff that should have been in the game (what ever happened to unlocking extras?) such as SF4 costumes.

^^(PM)^
Siggy by shinrahunter

Check out my MUGEN vids here - YouTube - AceWonder20's Channel
PSN: AceWonder20

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2009, 07:39:49 PM »
im seeing a lot of people simply pissing on DLC because they don't like the idea of paying.

Offline Theendgamelv3

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:August 21, 2016, 08:15:31 AM
  • Get the hell out of my way!
    • San Diego Animanga
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2009, 08:05:30 PM »
DLC should be like maps and extra characters, not costumes and multiplayer (looking at you RE5). Seriously stuff that was free in the past.....SHOULD be free now. Example, Protoman and extra hard, SHOULD be free. However, what capcom should do is a expansion pack to mega man and have Protoman only stages with a side story and charge for that and he could also play on the old stages as well. IMO that is good DLC. RE series has been known for its extra modes and stuff, THAT should be free. Side stories and extra maps and stuff that should be paid for (like the Ada Wong missions in RE:4). Buying DLC shouldn't be one of those things where companies decide "hey we're gonna leave "this (insert mode) out" when for years it has been free. You shouldn't buy a multiplayer mode. DLC should expand the story and/or add more to multiplayer. I mean if I had GTA 4, I wouldn't mind paying for those expansions, however if GTA 4 came out and just had extra costumes for the main character and you had to pay for them, hell no.

Offline Violent Ken Masters

• Contributor
  • Last Login:April 17, 2017, 01:52:10 AM
  • WELCOME TO DIE!!!
    • Violent Ken's site
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2009, 11:10:02 PM »
Nazi Zombies, that was the bottom of the barrel for me. As soon as I bought map pack 1, map pack 2 came out.

Had only enough points for one, ='(.

Even worse is that certain developers are releasing games in physical form with all DLC included. How do you think that makes people feel that they had to join xbox live to download a game just to find its in a dvd format.

DLC is gone over time, discs last. just make sense to give the devs more time to develop stuff. releasing DLC on a DVD is an insult to those who bought the original game.

*prays that MVC3 will be intact all at once* I swear, If I see DLC, I'll wait till a disc comes out then download it cause I won't put up with that.

okay, rant over.  :)

Yeah I just got map pack 2 off of PSN without getting Map Pack 1. Nazi zombies isn't really worth the 10 dollars. It's just a repetitive pile of ... I mean it's cool for like the first 10-20 minutes, but afterwards, your stuck in a stupid building fighting off zombies. Its a nice idea but falls short to buy for 10 dollars. I think for 5 dollars it would be nice to own, also the added map packs tick me off when you get switched to a map you dont have on ffa.

I got the game yesterday and the nazi zombies minigame and I don't really care about it.
The story is well, its not original because its all in the past from history books. For me the only redeeming value of the game was the multiplayer which felt like an upgrade of counter-strike.

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 01:32:36 AM »
i really didn't[ mind paying for the versus mode in RE5. it felt more experimental than anything, like they didn't want it to nessecarily be considered part of the game in case it failed.

Offline Yung Kratos

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 27, 2012, 12:49:15 AM
  • Some mothaf***as always Tryna iceskate uphill
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 08:38:27 PM »
well im with you guys on the SF4 costumes being an absolutely ridiculous idea simply because the cotumes are already on the disc hence they are already paid for.

but i do like the idea of dlc simply because its safer and more convineint if i ever wanna upgrade the size of my hdd or if god forbid anything should ever happen to my 360 i could simply redownload all my content after recovering my gamertag but if anything happens to any of my games i gotta buy a new disc like wat happened to my SF4
(click to show/hide)

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Street Fighter Spec Ops 2021 by O Ilusionista
[Today at 01:36:06 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[June 06, 2024, 07:34:10 PM]

Kirby the Dream Battle by O Ilusionista
[June 06, 2024, 01:04:12 PM]

Neo Geo Pocket by malevka2
[June 05, 2024, 10:53:57 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:18:12 PM]

[BOR] _Avengers United Battle Force_ by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:13:51 PM]

Mega Man & Bass - Dynamo Man by Sir Rousseau by O Ilusionista
[June 03, 2024, 03:09:50 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD