collapse

Author Topic: Eyo! New spriter 'round the block!  (Read 1830 times)

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 11, 2014, 01:31:07 PM
    • Email
Eyo! New spriter 'round the block!
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »
Hey guys. First post here. Just a little introduction, if you don't mind. I got into spriting a long time ago, approximately 8 years ago. Its been around 4 years since I've actually done a sprite. I was inspired by the infinity mugen project, Megaman: Robot Master Mayhem. I love megaman, and I love fighting games, so I thought I'd give it a go. I'd love to do a mugen character, though I don't know how to code a character.

EDIT: Modifying first post into a pseudo-gallery. Enjoy :).

Tornado Man, from Megaman 9.
I did a cross between his in-game sprite and his concept art. They looked kinda different to me, and I just couldn't decide on what I wanted his helmet to look like. So I went with a sort of aerodynamic wingi-sh look, à la "tornado".

Vegeta, done from scratch.
Started this some 4 years ago. Never got around to finishing it. My anatomy has never really been good.

Usagi Yojimbo, done from scratch.
Did this one for one of your forum's weekly sprite contests. Put a lot of effort into this guy. He's entirely from scratch. Took a long time getting the pants right. Here's a progression chart up to his completion. I didn't start stapling my progress until I had already started on the pants. Enjoy.

Donatello, done from scratch.
Here's another oldie. Did this guy from scratch too. A lot of people don't like the shading, but oh well. I went with a 'less is more' style. *shrug*

Cammisher, Cammy Edit.
Week 50 contest winner, yay.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:57:00 PM by AugustAPC »

Offline Manic

• Cossack's Creation
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 15, 2024, 09:22:40 PM
  • Poot dispenser here.
Re: Eyo! New spriter 'round the block!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:30:52 PM »
Looks good! :) I think the eyes should be more triangular like the official art, but I really like your choice of colors for him, and if you go all the way with this, he'd be an awesome addition to Megaman: Robot Master Mayhem. Also, if you're going to make that his stance, I'd consider it as more of a crouch sprite, rather, but it's only my thought. I'm also sure you can get someone to code him for you, if you can't code him yourself.

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 08, 2014, 12:22:16 AM
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
Looks good! :) I think the eyes should be more triangular like the official art, but I really like your choice of colors for him, and if you go all the way with this, he'd be an awesome addition to Megaman: Robot Master Mayhem. Also, if you're going to make that his stance, I'd consider it as more of a crouch sprite, rather, but it's only my thought. I'm also sure you can get someone to code him for you, if you can't code him yourself.
This is all I have to say.^^
Nice sprite, good to see such good works as someone's first post! :thumbsup:

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:53:32 PM »
Appreciate the kind words. I tried to keep his eyes akin to those of Megaman's in MVC, with a tad of evil, lol.
Do either of you guys happen to know of a decent animation program? I'm working on a stance right now. I've not done much animation before, so I'm eager to start trying.

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:08:16 PM »
What program to you edit your sprites in?

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 09:09:29 PM »
What program to you edit your sprites in?

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »
easy gif animator works.

or you could do it in Fighter factory.

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 09:17:03 PM »
Well, I would suggest "EasyGifAnimator", if you can't find that, I would suggest talking with Spider-Mew, he's learned how to make animations in Fighter Factory rather easy, but I still haven't been fully able to understand, maybe he could help you out with that.
(And on a side note, you may want to make you're background color purple or red or something that might not accidentally blend in with the character, not just for looks, but if he has white parts in his costume, and he has a white background, the white parts will become invisible in mugen)

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
Thanks for the tip on easy gif animator. Works like a charm.

So ha! Here's my first attempt at animating, ever! It's just rough. As you can tell, I did this in like 15 mins, so I'll smooth it out more. Just wanted to get something going. Was a lot of fun.

I normally always do the purple/pink background, just forgot to on the first post.

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »
Really wonderful, I'd love for you to WIP this, he'd be a great edition to the RMM project, although making a character is a lot of responsibility. Great stuff, man, good stuff! :)

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »
Ah, well. I'd really love to sprite an entire character out, but before I'd be willing to do that I'd have to find a programmer for the character. I realize that's a two-way street and requires dedication from both parties, but it'd be hard for me to put so much effort into a sheet without and endgame, ya know?

As it is now, I'll try and work on some more sprites for him and see if I can get the hang of smoothing out animations. I've got that stand animation figured out in my head. I'm going to add more to it. When he sticks his arm out all the way, I'll have him extend the blades from his forearms, like in his concept art. He'll hold that pose for like a second. That should eliminate the fact that it looks like a poorly done punch animation right now.

But like I said. I'd love to take part in the MM project. I'd just need to know the details.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 10:35:23 PM »
Really wonderful, I'd love for you to WIP this, he'd be a great edition to the RMM project :)

This

Ah, well. I'd really love to sprite an entire character out, but before I'd be willing to do that I'd have to find a programmer for the character.

If you sprite it they will come  ;)

But like I said. I'd love to take part in the MM project. I'd just need to know the details.

Here's the details... Your sprites look great & they are definitely good enough to be in. Just sprite the entire character & he WILL get coded for the MM project.    :thumbsup:

One suggestion, the " ear things " on his head need to be bigger

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 10:46:02 PM »
I'll attempt to sprite as much as I can. However, I don't actually have a Megaman MVC Sprite sheet, and the link provided on the forums asks for a password. If anyone could provide me with a sheet I'd greatly appreciate it.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:12:40 AM by AugustAPC »

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 10:59:34 PM »

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »
Wonderful, thank you. That'll help a ton.

patched up the stance a bit. thoughts?

EDIT: I'm kinda new to these forums. I couldn't get this post to show up until I deleted one of my previous ones in this thread. It seem like the 14th post wouldn't show up. Anyone know of this problem?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 12:12:13 AM by AugustAPC »

Offline Manic

• Cossack's Creation
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 15, 2024, 09:22:40 PM
  • Poot dispenser here.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 01:28:48 AM »
Animation's good but a bit slow. I still think he should be in a standing position, and have your current sprite as a crouch or something.. Like this:

But, of course, these are your sprites, not mine, so go for what you want. :cool
I made a few changes, such as the arm on the right side being a bit too long, and the eyes. Otherwise, I'm quite fond of your work so far, and feel free to edit the sprite I used, I don't mind at all. :thumbsup: Also, the problem was probably post merging, where if you post multiple posts, they merge into your most recent one.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 01:44:14 AM »
Here's the most complete spritesheet I know of for megaman. Thank Kong when you see him

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6137c08f94a0a3d30d428c4a089f9196d55e197f959290bd

Goto page 2 in the MVC2 section

BTW the stance looks good. I still say those " ear things ' on his head need to be bigger .
Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 01:49:36 AM »
Animation's good but a bit slow. I still think he should be in a standing position, and have your current sprite as a crouch or something.. Like this:

But, of course, these are your sprites, not mine, so go for what you want. :cool
I made a few changes, such as the arm on the right side being a bit too long, and the eyes. Otherwise, I'm quite fond of your work so far, and feel free to edit the sprite I used, I don't mind at all. :thumbsup: Also, the problem was probably post merging, where if you post multiple posts, they merge into your most recent one.

Actually for some reason, your post won't show up either. I had to go into your profile and look under "last post made" to read it. It's odd. My post wasn't merged either, as it didn't appear in any of my previous posts. Hopefully this post will show up.

I see what you mean with the arm being too long. I'll fix that. However, and maybe its just me, I prefer the smaller eye. Maybe I'm just a stickler for the less cartoony feel. I dunno. And in regards to the stance, I get where you're coming from. I chose to make him in a lower position because I felt like it was kinda unique. If I were to do a character, I'd be doing a lot of splicing and original poses. Just doesn't sit well with me to create something too similar to other character's movements. Hopefully I can make something work with the stance. I realize it'd be hard to create a set of moves from a low neutral stance - but hey, no pain no gain.

BTW the stance looks good. I still say those " ear things ' on his head need to be bigger .

Not sure if you're speaking in regards to the wing/glyder on his head, or the ear piece that covers his ear. I'm going to assume its the former. I actually spent a while deciding on what I felt like it should look like. I'm not quite satisfied with it. The problem I found with enlarging it was that it looked a little goofy for my taste, but it also conflicts with a lot of positions I'm working with. Although, admittedly, I'm still having those problems. Not sure how I should handle it, just yet. I appreciate the feedback and criticism.

----------------

Here's an example of my problem.

In this particular pose, he is going to be using the propellers in his arms to hover, possibly as a stage entrance. However, if you look around the area where his helmet's wings and his forearms are, you'll see that it is hard to make things out. There's a lot of noise going on there for a small sprite. I'm trying to make the lines around his wings more defined to see if that'd help. But once the propellers are added, I can see it looking really sloppy. I'm not too sure what to do about this.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:07:24 AM by AugustAPC »

Offline MaverickZr0

• S-Rank
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:November 25, 2016, 02:18:47 AM
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 02:17:59 AM »
Do you mean his wings (Ear things) are hard to see? If that's the case try a black outline for the wings. As for the propellers, you could always just add effects such as white zigzags to give the effect of spinning propellers. Is that what you were going for?

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 02:22:42 AM »
Yea, that's what I'm going for. I'm actually trying the black outlining around his wings. There's just going to be more black conflicting with it, because I want to show that his retractable propellers are out (one of his more defining features). But hopefully it'll all pan out :). I appreciate the help.

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 07:22:58 AM »
I really love where this is going! Great progress.
Truthfully, I like the stance Manic gave him better than the one he had, because he would be the same size as his crouch.

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
I think the post didnt show because you eather didnt refresh the page, or you just didnt click the button at the bottom to go to page 2 of the thread.

Anyhoo, back to the sprites.
He looks good, there are a few things i would suggest.
1. Make the head wings bigger, Tornado man kinda needs to have a big head thingy, that way you could have a move were he spins in circles and generates a tornado he's in.
2. The eyes, they need to have more of a sharp point, look a the eyes on the concept art then yours, see how yours dosnt come to the same kind of angle.

Otherwize thats it, its great.  :thumbsup:

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
Something I started some 4 years ago and never finished.

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2010, 06:47:40 AM »
Woah, that's really good, is it from scratch?

Offline AugustAPC

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »
Thanks and yea, all scratch :)

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Street Fighter 1 Ultimate Ryu by ELECTRO
[Today at 03:58:25 PM]

China Town (Revenge of Shinobi) by Lord_Enemil
[Today at 03:02:10 PM]

Neon Light Force Demo by Uche_of_IMT
[Today at 10:21:37 AM]

Marvel vs. Capcom: Eternity of Heroes REMAKE Game Update 1.3.0 - N.A.O.H. by Uche_of_IMT
[May 21, 2024, 11:50:20 PM]

The Spider release + Spider-Man game by kobun
[May 21, 2024, 02:05:24 AM]

Let's all try it together! Yazawanainn gose breakdancing in MUGEN! by GTFoxN6Y
[May 18, 2024, 05:00:14 PM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[May 18, 2024, 11:17:34 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 15, 2024, 01:25:51 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare