collapse

Author Topic: SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #5 Winners  (Read 1942 times)

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #5 Winners
« on: February 16, 2009, 02:37:04 AM »
I would first like to Thank everyone who entered . You all did a good job . But as you know there can only be so many winners . even with the low amount of entries it was still a very competitive week  . First place was very close , & so was third place .  So here is your winners for week 5 .

WEEK 5 WINNERS

Third place

Jasmine and Rajah ( Aladdin )
By GaryOldman

Second place

Beast,a pretty messed up Belle,Lumiere,Mrs Potts ( Beauty & the Beast )
By .batzarro.

First place

Goltiath ( Gargoyles )
By DanoArtist

Other entries revealed

Giselle ( Enchanted ) By GaryCXJk

XR, Mira Nova, Buzz Lightyear, Booster, and a bunch of Zurg's Hornets ( Buzz Lightyear ) By Spidermew

Once again good work by everyone . I was hoping for a better turnout this week , So Thanx to all who did enter . This concludes week 5 . The new topic should be up sometime Monday .

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline shitakimushrooms1990

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:August 17, 2021, 09:18:55 PM
    • Email
Re: SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #5 Winners
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 03:05:44 AM »
Congrats to the winners.  :thumbsup:

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 26, 2024, 02:34:14 PM
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 03:18:35 AM »
I'll explain why I did what I did with my sprite now since GaryCXJk seemed unhappy it was getting as many votes as it did.

First off, I didn't make my sprite for any LoLs or senseless violence votes. If I got any votes because of that, I wish I hadn't.

Secondly, I understand you hated how Belle came out. I didn't like the shading on her either but time was running short. I don't plan to be an expert on spriting dresses, so it's fine for a single sprite. You saying it over and over was a bit annoying though as people got the point. It'd be as if I kept saying Giselle should of been much smaller over and over. There's no point in repeating it so much and people will vote for what they want regardless.

Thirdly, we were suppose to sprite the chars of Disney. No one ever said they had to be doing what Disney chars should be doing. It's our take on it however we see fit.

Now, with that said. Here's why I did it. It was to show that not every fairy tale can end "happily ever after." It's sorta like, desperate woman will disregard red flags on any guy just to try and get that story book life. Sometimes shooting for the stars, can wind you up six feet under.

I know this isn't the point the story was trying to get across, but it's how I'm depicting it.

We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside of us.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Danoartist

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 23, 2022, 11:58:55 PM
  • I have the power.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:55:16 AM »
 :)   First off thanks to everyone who voted. I was glad to see people support the idea of one sprite being the focus of the contest. Anyone who voted just for Gargoyles, I am glad you thought I did Goliath justice.

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:10:59 AM »
:)   First off thanks to everyone who voted. I was glad to see people support the idea of one sprite being the focus of the contest. Anyone who voted just for Gargoyles, I am glad you thought I did Goliath justice.
You did great on the sprite, man. I'd be all for single sprites only being accepted. Until that happens though, I'll be taking complete advantage of this. Yours was a close second for me, had to go with Jasmine and Rajah though. :)

We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside of us.
(click to show/hide)

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 03, 2020, 07:22:20 AM
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 08:17:23 AM »
Now, with that said. Here's why I did it. It was to show that not every fairy tale can end "happily ever after." It's sorta like, desperate woman will disregard red flags on any guy just to try and get that story book life. Sometimes shooting for the stars, can wind you up six feet under.
Yes, but you're missing the point on sprite contests here. Sprite contests aren't there for silent protests or to "get a point across", it's to practice your skills.

And you just can't expect to vote for your sprites just for your skills if you decide to add something not conventional, especially on a board that is mainly aimed at the adolescents. On other boards, mainly spriting sites, the sprite REALLY wouldn't fare well in comparison to the other sites, mainly BECAUSE of the lack of shading on the dress. They would have said that you would have been better off WITHOUT the useless violence, and quite frankly, it would have gotten my vote if it didn't have Belle or the other characters in it.

Sorry, but when I'm voting, I vote as a spriter, not someone who votes just because it looks "nice". And unfortunately, it also was the reason why I didn't vote on Jasmine. Even though the line art was far more complex than any of the other sprites, it lacked the proper shading. It just didn't look nice compared to Goliath. Even though it was an obvious edit, it did a great job in actually making it appear like the original character while still retaining both style and shading on nearly everything. At least the shading was consistent.

Although I have to say that the shading on the tail could have been done a bit more consistent (mainly, more darker shading on the bottom).

Because, It's Midnite

Offline bdcirck

• Initiate
  • Last Login:March 23, 2013, 11:48:21 AM
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:50:38 AM »
congratz on the winners.

I agree that belle hasn't done any good for batzarro.

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
I made the big giant mess of Team Lightyear sprite.
Why did i do it like that?
Because i figured the best chance i had to win one of these was to do something big..
So i made 5 sprites, and pasted one of them a messload of times.
I figured, that happend in the show allot so it would be ok. And Booster was mostly from scratch.
So i figured i would trick people into thinking it was complex. I did spend 4 days on it...

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:22:43 AM »
In my opinion, the Buzz Lightyear in itself was pretty cool. I would even think you would have stood a better chance with just that.

Because, It's Midnite

Offline MirageAtoli

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:May 13, 2011, 03:25:23 AM
  • Oh, my Paws and Whiskers!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 01:48:13 PM »

A single sprite doesn't lend itself to a narrative very well. I completely missed any metaphor in the original context. Although, I am glad you are experimenting with what a narrative means.

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 01:56:32 PM »
Also, now that I second-read that part, you totally missed the original context. In its original context, Belle only went to the Beast's castle to rescue her father, not to find someone to care for, or a true love's kiss or something. That was totally the Beast's goal. And that's the other hand. The Beast could not kill something that could possibly save his own life. All the nice things he did, it wasn't purely out of love, it was all to turn back into the human he was.

In the end, you do get to see the true beast. It's not the Beast who is the beast, it's the only one who is too vain to see others who appear less human as human, namely Gaston. And that's what the whole story is about. Anyone who uses popular culture as a reference to make their own narratives don't pull stories out of their context. Even American McGee understood that concept in his Grimm series.

Because, It's Midnite

Offline MirageAtoli

• Infinity Faithful
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 02:03:09 PM »
I meant the context of the sprite, but thats true too, to some degree.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 02:05:28 PM »
I'll review this week since there were only 5 entries  .  My opinion .....

Goliath ruled he had my vote in the beginning , but since it was in first already when I voted . I did not vote for it .

Giselle would've been my next vote . I thought the dress was amazing . All the details in the " frills " looked great . But when I started this comp , I mentioned this is not the sig of the week contest . If you are entered in this & start saying the other sprites suck , that you would be disqualified . Now you really didn't come out & do that . But you were kind of constructively " dogging " the other sprites . So honestly it cost you my vote , Gary . I'll be honest DanoArtist complained to me in a PM how some sprites monopolize votes & others do not . I basically told him to quit complaining & hang in there . He will have his week to win because of the talent in his sprites & it happened . I tell you the same thing  .

Beast I liked the way beast turned out he was great . So were the pots & things . But Belle looked bad to me . She actually looked " flat " That's why I didn't vote for that . Plus I couldn't convince myself that I was voting for it because of the sprite work & not just the senseless violence . That's why it cost a vote .

Jasmine & Rajah This is what I voted for . I don't know what Gary is talking about . The tiger & Jasmine have shading . Besides maybe Jasmine's hair . This sprite looks to be done from scratch . I think it was deserving of my vote .

Buzz Lightyear  I think Mew tried to go for the cheap vote by making this big extravaganza . I told him when he entered , that's not the key . Last week was a tie for first place . A single sprite tied with that big sig type sprite zarro did . I thought that proved something . That a single sprite that looks good can hang with any huge sprite extravaganza . I viewed this entry to be just slapped together , just to try & get the " cheap " vote . It didn't work , like he expected . Some of his other sprites actually placed in other weeks . This one actually ended in last place , beat mostly by single sprites .

I tell all of you this . That sprite extravanganza gimmick will not work . Actually it may cost you some votes at times , in my opinion . So take your time on one sprite & make that look good . I think you have a better chance of winning .

(click to show/hide)

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »
In my opinion, Giselle wasn't my best work, especially since both my submissions thus far have not been on scale. Plus, shading is pretty horrible, actually, and that's me being honest. I could even post proof once I post it on several sprite sites, but they would probably all say that the shading is pretty bad.

But either way, you should ALWAYS vote on what you think is the best, even though a submission appears to already have that many votes. That one vote could just influence everything, even though it appears not. I mean, I could have voted for the worst one just because it didn't have any votes, but at the same time others would think the same. So I voted for what I personally think was best, and that was Goliath.

Also, what you have forgotten is that Goliath actually had LESS votes than Beast at the time of writing. Even with my vote.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:09:35 PM by GaryCXJk »

Because, It's Midnite

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 03:16:44 PM »
In my opinion, Giselle wasn't my best work, especially since both my submissions thus far have not been on scale. Plus, shading is pretty horrible, actually, and that's me being honest. I could even post proof once I post it on several sprite sites, but they would probably all say that the shading is pretty bad.

But either way, you should ALWAYS vote on what you think is the best, even though a submission appears to already have that many votes. That one vote could just influence everything, even though it appears not. I mean, I could have voted for the worst one just because it didn't have any votes, but at the same time others would think the same. So I voted for what I personally think was best, and that was Goliath.

Also, what you have forgotten is that Goliath actually had LESS votes than Beast at the time of writing. Even with my vote.

My vote is always last , then I lock the thread . So Goliath had already won by 3 votes & I knew that .

(click to show/hide)

Offline Danoartist

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 23, 2022, 11:58:55 PM
  • I have the power.
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 11:03:28 PM »
   Whoa, DT, bro, that is not how I remember things. I wouldn't call what I was saying to you complaining. What I said was more like I was disappointed that two sprites got the 20 votes each and that just because the next in line had 6 they should be considered winners. I said that the other sprites should be shamed by that gap not celebrated. I would hardly say that is complaining, I was being critical on myself as well as the other sprites that "won"(got left behind in my opinion) that week.
   Not trying to cause trouble, I just want to clear that up. I am with Batzarro on his comments this week GaryCXJk was being ridiculous this week in his comments, repeating the same things. I realize that he might have been waiting for this week but even when the subject was announced he had posted something like he wasn't going to enter his favorite character, why the heck not man, if you like the character probably means others do to and that equals more votes, just the way it is.
   In the end it is just a silly contest, yeah I am happy I finally got top spot after being second for the last two weeks. But it seems like all anyone wins around here is a bash in the head to our selfesteem and egos. We all spend time on each of our sprites so just relax, enjoy looking at them, or pretty soon no one will want to enter.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
Does someone want to take over this competition ? :DxDie

@ DanoArtist what you PMed me was a complaint . I didn't say you were whining & crying about it . But there was a complaint in that PM . I told you to hang in there & I'm sure your time would come & it happened sooner than I expected . I knew you were close . 

@ GaryCXJk My one rule in the beginning of this was if you enter do not dog or trash other spriters works . Like the artists did in the sig of the week contest . One week the artists were cracking on the winner the entire time & then they can't get any one to enter . This is really just supposed to be for fun & practice . So who cares if someone designed there own version of a character or changed the story line to a classic fairy tale . This comp about expressing creativity

@ .batzarro. Wait a minute I have nothing to complain to you about .  :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie
Let me figure out something to yell at you about .
Shame on you for altering classic fairy tale endings , No , No , No that was allright .
I can't believe the fit you threw because you didn't win . No , No , that didn't happen .
OK , your safe , I have nothing to yell about .  ;*))

Seriously though , I think all of you need to calm down a little bit . Take GaryOldMan , he enters his sprite every week , comes here to vote & you never see him post ever about how he should have won , or why one of the winners shouldn't have . He makes some good sprites that are deserving of winning . But that is not the way the people vote sometimes . When I entered I was totally surprised I tied for first against zarro's sig . I didn't even think I would get a vote against that & I would have accepted that if it happened . But I wouldn't have revealed that Spiderman as my sprite  ;*)) Just joking . You have to take the good with the bad . One week you are on top the next you don't get a vote . Just the way it goes sometimes . Do your best & have fun .

I respect all of you for the work you put into your sprites each week . For the most part they are all top notch & deserve to win .

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:36:40 AM by DARKTALBAIN »

(click to show/hide)

Offline MirageAtoli

• Infinity Faithful
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 01:32:50 AM »

A roster line up would have worked better for you. I think.

What did you go the giant crowd route over a line-up.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 01:39:33 AM »
Because i figured the best chance i had to win one of these was to do something big..
So i made 5 sprites, and pasted one of them a messload of times.
I figured, that happend in the show allot so it would be ok. And Booster was mostly from scratch.
So i figured i would trick people into thinking it was complex. I did spend 4 days on it...

I think that one alien guy on the right would have got you votes if you just submitted him .

I do not think anyone really even seen that guy , because you had to scroll to look at your entire sprite . I don't think anyone did .

(click to show/hide)

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 03:51:26 AM »
Also, now that I second-read that part, you totally missed the original context. In its original context, Belle only went to the Beast's castle to rescue her father, not to find someone to care for, or a true love's kiss or something. That was totally the Beast's goal. And that's the other hand. The Beast could not kill something that could possibly save his own life. All the nice things he did, it wasn't purely out of love, it was all to turn back into the human he was.

In the end, you do get to see the true beast. It's not the Beast who is the beast, it's the only one who is too vain to see others who appear less human as human, namely Gaston. And that's what the whole story is about. Anyone who uses popular culture as a reference to make their own narratives don't pull stories out of their context. Even American McGee understood that concept in his Grimm series.
Should read over it once more then, because I clearly said..

I know this isn't the point the story was trying to get across, but it's how I'm depicting it.

Artists interpret things however they want. Just accept it and move on. You've been coming off kinda bitter this whole time. Kinda sad to see 'cause you are a good spriter, but it seems this weeks comp kinda went to your head. I was upset too a few weeks back and considered not entering anymore over the turn out. Realized that's just how that single week went, it won't be the same all the time. Like DT has said, just keep trying and you'll get to the top sooner or later. :)

@ .batzarro. Wait a minute I have nothing to complain to you about .  :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie
Let me figure out something to yell at you about .
Shame on you for altering classic fairy tale endings , No , No , No that was allright .
I can't believe the fit you threw because you didn't win . No , No , that didn't happen .
OK , your safe , I have nothing to yell about .  ;*))
Ah.. I feel I've let you down. Let me see if I can cook up something for you to complain about. :DxDie

(click to show/hide)

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 08:34:35 AM »
None of you are going to be able to control how people vote, not even worth wasting your breath. I suggest entering the contest, and just dealing with the results. In the end it's DT's decision of what he accepts and what he doesn't. You can either

A. You can pick up on tips and tricks that others use, and implement it in your work yourself.

B. or you could just "not enter"

As someone who's not a spriter, I have yet to see one winner who wasnt good enough to win.

AGAIN, no matter what you do people are going to vote for what they like. If there was a majic time machine I'd bet Michaelangelo would think Picasso, Dali, or Gieger are hacks compared to his own work, however their works are equally, if not more popular. As far as why Gisele didnt win, it had nothing to do with anyone elses sprites, people just dont know the character, and if they dont have an affininity for the character, their not going to vote for it.

People will vote for the best sprite, thats something they can relate to. Thats life, it's pretty pretentious to try to tell people what logic they use when voting. Style and concept play a lot into art. While Frank Miller may not be as good of an artist as Todd McFarlane, his works sell a lot better than McFarlane does these days. Popularity isn't just about skill alone.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:50:02 AM by ALEXZIQ »

Offline mastamasta

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:December 26, 2010, 01:54:40 PM
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 09:28:04 AM »
None of you are going to be able to control how people vote, not even worth wasting your breath. I suggest entering the contest, and just dealing with the results. In the end it's DT's decision of what he accepts and what he doesn't. You can either

A. You can pick up on tips and tricks that others use, and implement it in your work yourself.

As someone who's not a spriter, I have yet to see one winner who wasnt good enough to win.

AGAIN, no matter what you do people are going to vote for what they like. If there was a majic time machine I'd bet Michaelangelo would think Picasso, Dali, or Gieger are hacks compared to his own work, however their works are equally, if not more popular. As far as why Gisele didnt win, it had nothing to do with anyone elses sprites, people just dont know the character, and if they dont have an affininity for the character, their not going to vote for it.

People will vote for the best sprite, thats something they can relate to. Thats life, it's pretty pretentious to try to tell people what logic they use when voting. Style and concept play a lot into art. While Frank Miller may not be as good of an artist as Todd McFarlane, his works sell a lot better than McFarlane does these days. Popularity isn't just about skill alone.

thats the truth, when it comes to everything....music, mugen etc.... great choice of words.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »

McFarlane is my personal hero  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Not really his attitude or what he has done with the industry . But for when he actually picked up a pencil & sketched out some comics .

(click to show/hide)

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 12:40:55 PM »
Todd was a genious.

Lately it seems to be putting together this Image re-union (minus Lee) of course. Which will fail, or getting sued by Gaiman, and Alan Moore over Miracle Man. Not to mention his endless Sports figures that surprisingly dont seem to sell all that well.

Fall from Grace is the phrase that comes to mind. Or Suck it up and draw Spiderman again like every one else has done.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »
Todd was a genious.

Lately it seems to be putting together this Image re-union (minus Lee) of course. Which will fail, or getting sued by Gaiman, and Alan Moore over Miracle Man. Not to mention his endless Sports figures that surprisingly dont seem to sell all that well.

Fall from Grace is the phrase that comes to mind. Or Suck it up and draw Spiderman again like every one else has done.

I don't think he has too go back to Spidey . Spawn is still a sweet character . He just has to remarket him . Everything he did , to get sued , the whole toy company deals  & buying that stupid McGwire baseball for 5 mil , only to be worthless since bonds or whoever broke the record later . Were  bonehead moves . The guy had amazing artistic talent & came up with a great character , but didn't have a clue as a business man .

(click to show/hide)

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal