collapse

Author Topic: Creators Quitting M.U.G.E.N for Flash Games  (Read 2677 times)

Offline C.R.O.M. - Shadaloo Lives!

• Winner of Rounds 1, 5, & 13 in Last Person to Post Wins!, SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #61 Winner, and Shadaloo Office Worker
  • Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 13, 2023, 03:37:34 PM
  • Proud member of C.R.O.M. (Shadaloo Lives!)
    • C.R.O.M.
Re: Creators Quitting M.U.G.E.N for Flash Games
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 12:48:37 AM »
Well, some of us are still talking about flash games, while others are trying a new thread ending tactic. lol

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 01:00:54 AM »
SolidZone 26 i kinda get what you are asking  but in another sense its like why even bother asking that ya know. there really is no definitive answer to why some people choose to go to flash games than other hobbies. its just a choice. plain and pretty simple  i figure. Thats like asking a customer why they bought a whole bag of Mixed cookies but only chose to eat the chocolate chips. Because well they want to, or , they want to savor the walnut raisin ones ( :-&) or they just have an affliction for buying such randomness stuff just to do it cause they like it.  :-?? Flash games arent for everyone, just like certain geres in video games, comic book company tastes and so on and so on. I  myself think there are tons of other ways to indulge in things other than flash games or mugen. read a good book. play wall ball, play poker, throw smurf action dolls at midgets , i mean there is unimaginable hobbies, flash games just seem to be some of those peoples choice.  :thumbsup:

Offline Vitamin

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 15, 2012, 05:46:34 PM
  • Shredder: Let my name be the last sound you hear!
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 03:53:05 AM »
One of my many favorite books would have to be "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, but in regards to this topic...
Who exactly is leaving mugen for flash animations and games? Flash games sell like hot cakes on the iphone, so I don't blame them for leaving mugen to make a living.

I've also been trying to get into flash animation, but flashes require a bit of technical know how and time.
I wouldn't mind being able to make a flash like this. Respect the Stache.

• Winner of Rounds 1, 5, & 13 in Last Person to Post Wins!, SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #61 Winner, and Shadaloo Office Worker
  • Infinite Loyalist
    • C.R.O.M.
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 03:58:11 AM »
 /:O What did I just watch?
You got a point there. *sigh* If only we could do this for money. And not be sued.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 03:59:12 AM »
Vitamin i am with you onh this one. lol i would leave mugen too o make a living and flash games are def selling huge. more and more are popping up all the time and they are geting very much better and better. heck if this is a way to get Mugen Flash type fighting game onto ya console via a flash game DLC but with some cool original characters, mannnnnn  all i gotta say is watch out future, its comin sooner or later. i found myself playing scott pilgrim and splosion man more than MVC3! go figure. :|

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 09:09:59 AM »
Creators quit mainly because of others stealing their work or because of trolls and haters. One by one, each troll throws a fit about something and pray the creator quits.

Personally I am annoyed as much by people that create a big stir about their work being stolen as much as I am by the trolls.

In my opinion being uptight about that kinda thing in a hobby thats nothing but stealing to begin with is what creates the trolls in the first place. Which makes it harder for other creators that arent uptight.

Personally if people are leaving because of that reason I think it's for the best, less drama to chase away the community.

Ive always believed fans are the real lifeblood of Mugen. Chasing them away with lame drama has hurt the community more than any one person leaving.

I know my opinion isnt a popular one, but it's what I believe.

Offline Vitamin

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 15, 2012, 05:46:34 PM
  • Shredder: Let my name be the last sound you hear!
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
Personally I am annoyed as much by people that create a big stir about their work being stolen as much as I am by the trolls.

In my opinion being uptight about that kinda thing in a hobby thats nothing but stealing to begin with is what creates the trolls in the first place. Which makes it harder for other creators that arent uptight.

Personally if people are leaving because of that reason I think it's for the best, less drama to chase away the community.

Ive always believed fans are the real lifeblood of Mugen. Chasing them away with lame drama has hurt the community more than any one person leaving.

In general I can agree with your statement. I never understood why creators leave mugen because their work(s) was stolen. I understand that they would be upset over someone stealing their beta or alpha works, but in my opinion that should make them want to finish their mugen character even more, because people like me will want the finish product more, and the creator(s) in the end will earn more recognition because people are looking for the final release. But then again, I'm not a mugen creator so my point is kind of invalid until I create something worth while.

But the awesome thing about flash animations and games is that there is no limit to what you can make with it. With Mugen your stuck with a 2d fighting game, unless you resort to a BOR game, but with Flashes you can make movies, games, music videos, and more. The boundless possibilities with flashes is what is catching peoples attention.

The television show "Archer" on Fx is made with flash animation, and is one of my personal favorite shows right now.
And when you combine mugen sprites with flash animation you get insane videos like: Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 01:26:39 PM »
Even tho i am officially not a full on creator yet since my works arent in full complettion , i understand what both of you 2 are saying as a whole.  i dont know many creators by name who left from work being stolen but for the many years i been in mugen i know creators who left cause of alot of flaming. Mugen sites were very hostile some years back, a few still are but there are many like IMT and sgm and cvg that are quite pleasant to be part of. good atmosphere and cool friends. I call those mugen yesteryears the Flame Wars era. lol  there were tons of creators where now there are just the usual suspects in mugen .  Trolls have been around since the dawn of the internet and will always be around as long as there is an internet. those crreators that did leave probably didnt understand that trolls never die no matter how good your stuff is. someone will troll you at some point. lol.

Pleasing fans of characters and stages and such is a trial and error phase, its easy on one hand and hard on the other cause every person likes different things and want various character content that the creator either didnt think of , wouldnt put in and or just isnt their style. if anything i take notes from the ones still around  cause they stick to their guns no matter what. but to go the flash game route isnt a bad idea for those that did. unlocks more creative potential as vitamin i should say says more or less in all those fields you listed. :thumbsup: . in a sense as well we all are per say "stealing" already made content from game companies  ( wether sprites , fx, sounds and using sprites as bases) but its also more satisfying if we creators are improving upon those already made works rather than simply recreating exactly what was already made to begin with. thats where editing and imaginative out the box creativeness rules the day in works. making them even better playable and viewable.

i say let them haters be ya motivators and if they "steal " your work you did so much hard chore on then you can comeback and add more and better the works ya did so it even more outshines the stoilen one. thats my opinion. but yeah stealing another creators work is a lame thing to do in all regards but hey just Hijack ( i like that word better lol ) it right back and improve it more so the trolls can have less to troll about in the future or ya just take it on the chin. lol  ::salute::

Offline C.R.O.M. - ManoloStyle

• Proud MvC3 Pet Owner - Beware my Dog's Bite - Winner of Bonus Round Page 420 LPTPW - Awesome Signatures of my MvC3 Stable Courtesy of TGM - Caution !!! Don't mess with he who wears glasses...
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 01, 2015, 10:02:57 PM
  • Proud Member of C.R.O.M. Visit My YouTube Channel
    • Visit My YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:39 PM »

I have to give it to you Alex. When you are right, you are right. I completely agree with this. Very good post...  ^^(PM)^

Post Merge: March 11, 2011, 07:10:29 PM
Even tho i am officially not a full on creator yet since my works arent in full complettion , i understand what both of you 2 are saying as a whole.  i dont know many creators by name who left from work being stolen but for the many years i been in mugen i know creators who left cause of alot of flaming. Mugen sites were very hostile some years back, a few still are but there are many like IMT and sgm and cvg that are quite pleasant to be part of. good atmosphere and cool friends. I call those mugen yesteryears the Flame Wars era. lol  there were tons of creators where now there are just the usual suspects in mugen .  Trolls have been around since the dawn of the internet and will always be around as long as there is an internet. those crreators that did leave probably didnt understand that trolls never die no matter how good your stuff is. someone will troll you at some point. lol.

Pleasing fans of characters and stages and such is a trial and error phase, its easy on one hand and hard on the other cause every person likes different things and want various character content that the creator either didnt think of , wouldnt put in and or just isnt their style. if anything i take notes from the ones still around  cause they stick to their guns no matter what. but to go the flash game route isnt a bad idea for those that did. unlocks more creative potential as vitamin i should say says more or less in all those fields you listed. :thumbsup: . in a sense as well we all are per say "stealing" already made content from game companies  ( wether sprites , fx, sounds and using sprites as bases) but its also more satisfying if we creators are improving upon those already made works rather than simply recreating exactly what was already made to begin with. thats where editing and imaginative out the box creativeness rules the day in works. making them even better playable and viewable.

i say let them haters be ya motivators and if they "steal " your work you did so much hard chore on then you can comeback and add more and better the works ya did so it even more outshines the stoilen one. thats my opinion. but yeah stealing another creators work is a lame thing to do in all regards but hey just Hijack ( i like that word better lol ) it right back and improve it more so the trolls can have less to troll about in the future or ya just take it on the chin. lol  ::salute::

I agree with this too. When and if I ever work on a Mugen character, I promise to make it open source, since I know there is always someone that can make it better or have more imagination than I do, so it doesn't hurt to see what other people can do with your creations...  :)

PS. Can you imagine how many secret creations or edits of characters are out there to avoid this drama? We are probably missing on a lot of great characters. I hate that...  *Iceman ThumbsDown!*

• Infinite Loyalist
    • C.R.O.M.
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 07:11:36 PM »
I also agree. This hasn't happened to me as I'm a starting creator, but I imagine it's like someone stealing your idea in art class or something. It won't do anyone any good griping about it. The best thing to do is to improve so yours is better. There has to be a better analogy out there. lol

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 05:00:15 AM »
@ Mano, yeah i have to agree with that as well. but can you also imagine the unimaginable insane bad ones that are never released either? :D like a Unholy Super Nightmare Setsu No Hadou God Perfect Evil ....Servebot Smurf?   /:O

dude the flaming on that alone would warrent ..NO RELEASE....EVER!  :D

there are so many wont be released characters ( and by pros even)  that the really great ones are never to be shared or played so they wont get "stolen" by trolls and leechers and remade by them. But hey , its up to those creators  if they are ok with that, if you use my sprites so be it but the thing is people will know whose it is if its original stuff or never made before stuff. then they are just editing it and maybe in fact if done by a better thought individual with more know how actually makes the character like i said , better. if they make em worse then its Kudos to you and not them. LOL! Its like really Egos get in the way. like " Oh he stole my ryu that i downloaded that was ripped from capcom". o.O#! I don think permission was truly granted just not taken seriously cause its fan art. Its a hobby and we have anal peeps who do what they do cause they can do it and cant be stopped really that much. they will either do it online or offline and make it a video and show you but never release it. such teases! lol . But hey, we love mugen and forums and good people wanna keep Mugen alive and going so we make rules to try and keep good order.  :thumbsup:

@ Alexziq- bro you may think your opinion may not be a popular one but trust and believe , it is what it is  and no one can really refute that. you have very good and strong valid points. :thumbsup:

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
Incoming Flash Game:

Greatest flash game ever.

This game looks awesome!
Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
This game looks awesome!

ohj yeah DT , that game is indeed awesome! i been playing it for weeks now. love it and its got some good difficulty.

for the last 3 days i been on this new lil flash game sorta, its in STEAM or something like that. I have to say, i am very very impressed. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1vexQzA9Vk&feature=related#

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 07:48:16 PM »
ohj yeah DT , that game is indeed awesome! i been playing it for weeks now. love it and its got some good difficulty.

for the last 3 days i been on this new lil flash game sorta, its in STEAM or something like that. I have to say, i am very very impressed. :thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1vexQzA9Vk&feature=related#

Reminds me of a more advanced version of Jungle Hunt  :DxDie

. i found myself playing scott pilgrim and splosion man more than MVC3! go figure. :|

That's because it has that old school feel to those games. I am going to get slammed for this, but most new games are all the same. I am so sick of first person shooters. I played the hell out of MVC3 when it came out. But before that, my 360 hasn't been turned on in months. My original Xbox is modded, & has every emulator & rom under the sun on the hard drive. I would much rather sit & play those old games than another Call Of Duty. Just my opinion.

BTW: Please no more mention of books guys, I almost had to lock the thread because of that :DxDie

(click to show/hide)

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
most definetly DT, thats why i been going pretty hard on those flash type games. ahhh the fond memories. lol
lawd i forgot about jungle hunt! :o  hahaha it was first called Jungle King in the arcades when i was a kid. man people used to crunch they quarters in that game long ago at the local store by the elemetry school i went to. that was the hangout spot and game to beat . lol

and for yall enjoyment , my childhood elementry quarter cruncher. Jungle King!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHKXXC7JSnk&feature=related#

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
Supposedly Jungle King was out only a few months & they they changed it to Jungle Hunt with the explorer guy. Due to Jungle King's similarity to Tarzan, they were ordered to stop producing that game. They were both exactly the same game. I remember this lottery store had Jungle Hunt & my Dad would go up there to play his tickets. I would always go, so that I could play the arcade games they had in there. M<an those were good times!

I was just playing Jungle Hunt/King on Mame not too long ago...lol

I must admit, I am on board with these flash games. I like the feel to them. Obviously I still
like mugen, though. Seeing that mugen is straight up old school fighters

(click to show/hide)

• Infinite Loyalist
    • C.R.O.M.
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 08:43:36 PM »
most definetly DT, thats why i been going pretty hard on those flash type games. ahhh the fond memories. lol
lawd i forgot about jungle hunt! :o  hahaha it was first called Jungle King in the arcades when i was a kid. man people used to crunch they quarters in that game long ago at the local store by the elemetry school i went to. that was the hangout spot and game to beat . lol

and for yall enjoyment , my childhood elementry quarter cruncher. Jungle King!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHKXXC7JSnk&feature=related#
Man, when was this out? Never heard of it.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 08:52:53 PM »
WOW this was out in like 1982, same time i was playing it when it hit the arcade. then the jungle hunt cabinet came like 6 months later. , i was 8 years old man. loved this game, best part... the music score!!!

yeah DT flash games are really coming around lately in the last 2 years .  from videos, games and other media. its seems to becoming the new wave in mainstream media ... for now anyway. and then there is STEAM. thats going even further into the creative field from flash. I think its only a matter of time before a really good fighter is produced from one of those engines.

• Infinite Loyalist
    • C.R.O.M.
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 08:55:03 PM »
WOW this was out in like 1982.
That was a few years before I was born. lol No wonder, I never heard of it. I'll look up the rom.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 10:10:12 PM »
That was a few years before I was born. lol No wonder, I never heard of it. I'll look up the rom.

Yes get the Rom !!! lol

WOW this was out in like 1982, same time i was playing it when it hit the arcade. then the jungle hunt cabinet came like 6 months later. , i was 8 years old man. loved this game, best part... the music score!!!

yeah DT flash games are really coming around lately in the last 2 years .  from videos, games and other media. its seems to becoming the new wave in mainstream media ... for now anyway. and then there is STEAM. thats going even further into the creative field from flash. I think its only a matter of time before a really good fighter is produced from one of those engines.

Yeah, Lando. I agree, it's only a matter of time before they develop some great fighting game. I will look forward to that. I have no idea about the whole steam thing?  :-??

(click to show/hide)

• Proud MvC3 Pet Owner - Beware my Dog's Bite - Winner of Bonus Round Page 420 LPTPW - Awesome Signatures of my MvC3 Stable Courtesy of TGM - Caution !!! Don't mess with he who wears glasses...
  • Infinity Regular
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »

Man I loved Jungle King/Hunt !!!  :o

You guys brought a lot of memories. I had forgotten about that. I need to get the rom now. :thumbsup:

In what year were you born Lando? I was born in 1975... :)

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »

Nah you didnt say anything wrong. strong point indeed. makes sense bro. Folks forget Mugen is "A hobby". nothing more...

But yeh flash games have a lot of potential. A good enough idea and you can definitely get paid while leaving behind a Great classic for gamers to remember
Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline fatalfreak

• (^o^)
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 20, 2011, 01:20:57 AM
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »
I've seen a guy who quit mugen because his wife told him to do so...

Thanks to Demonkai.  I got this MMPR photo.
I didn't know your name was :D. That's an interesting name.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2011, 02:06:40 AM »

In what year were you born Lando? I was born in 1975... :)

The Lando does not tell such information during my sanity hours **cough 74 Cough* and i usually spend my time during my retardation mode as you all have seen and read. ooops i had a relapse and told!! o.O#  DANG! IT!!!!! \-/o

edit:  Fatal i wouldnt be and are not surprised by that for various reasons.  if i was married and my wife came to me and said : lando, you are on mugen games 11 hours a day, you been late for work, calling off from work, havent paid the car insurance, lil yasmeen is walking around with a dirty diaper, and you dont pay me any attention like you used to. therefore if you dont stop playing mugen then you cannot play...( must use good word) HOUSE  with me..anymore!"

dude i would be like " MUGEN WHAT?  :D

alot of things have happened to male gamers in some years who totally nerfed their responsibilities for gaming. so it doesnt shock me to hear that at all bro.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 02:29:32 AM by C.R.O.M - Lando33 »

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2011, 01:28:38 PM »
The Lando does not tell such information during my sanity hours **cough 74 Cough* and i usually spend my time during my retardation mode as you all have seen and read. ooops i had a relapse and told!! o.O#  DANG! IT!!!!! \-/o

74 eh? That means that you are a year older. Can I have some money? ;D

Anyway, I agree with what you guys are saying. A balance is definitely needed and there also needs to be communication and an understanding.

I once broke off with a girlfriend because she didn't want me to play video games at all, even though she knew I liked them before we even got involved. Of course there is a diference because there were no kids involved, but she kept saying that they were childish, a waste of money, and that she wanted me to do something else with my spare time.

I usually don't play much when I'm in a relationship, so I wasn't playing much during my time with her either, maybe once or twice a week for two hours, while she was reading a book or something, but she still would get upset. We had many arguments about it and I kept telling her that leaving games all together would be changing who I was and what I liked.

When she decided to force me into choosing between games or her, I dumped her and told her that games were not more important than her, but I would not be with someone who would force me to change who I am.

I still love the choice I made. I would have been miserable without my video game world...

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar