collapse

Author Topic: Zack Snyder will direct the next Superman film  (Read 380 times)

Offline Saber Alter

• Best Saber
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 12:00:35 PM
  • Best Girl
    • LordKurow
    • Email
Zack Snyder will direct the next Superman film
« on: October 05, 2010, 06:50:28 AM »
http://io9.com/5655510/this-is-krypton-zack-snyder-will-direct-the-next-superman-film
Warner Brothers and Legendary Pictures have tapped Zack Snyder to direct the next installment of the Superman franchise. Snyder was chosen after meeting with producers Chris Nolan and Emma Thomas. But will the illegitimate Superbaby make the cut?

Snyder said this about the project to Deadline:

I've been a big fan of the character for a long time, he's definitely the king of all superheroes, he's the one[ [...] It's early yet, but I can tell you that what David [Goyer] and Chris [Nolan] have done with the story so far definitely has given me a great insight into a way to make him feel modern. I've always felt he was kind of awesome. I'll finish Sucker Punch and get right at it.

UPDATE: Now /Film is reporting that they've "heard that Zod is the villain from two other independent high placed sources." Goyer's script apparently has a narrative link to Richard Donner's Superman work, and in this case the link is said to be Zod. Sorry, all 3.5 of you Nuclear Man fans out there.

http://www.moviehole.net/201026825-plot-for-new-superman-revealed

So we know that the plot of this new "Superman" movie will have less links to the original films than a rusted necklace, but the question remains : what on earth (or Krypton) will the film be about!?

We've heard that General Zod might be the villain. We know that David Goyer came up with the storyline while he and Christopher Nolan were toying with ''Batman'' movie ideas. And we can assume that the characters Clark Kent, Lois Lane and Krypto the Wonder Dog appear in the film - well, at least two of the three will. But if it ain't an origin story, and it ain't anything like 2006's "Superman Returns", what is it? A musical with the White family doing a black minstrel routine, perhaps? How about a comedy where Clark & Lois' off-spring uses his X-ray skills to get 'inside' the girls locker room? I dunno... run out of suggestions.

Vulture seems to think they know what the 2012 'reboot' is about - and folks, it's as 'different' as a Rob Zombie flick.

In "The Man of Steel" (that's the tentative title for the new film), "Clark Kent is a journalist traveling the world trying to decide if he should, in fact, even become Superman".

Interesting.... I think.

Thing is, the site goes on to state that the script, in it's current form, is a bit of a ''mess'' - and that's the reason Darren Aronofsky passed on the project.

"We're told by knowledgeable insiders the reason Warner Bros. picked Snyder for Man of Steel is that the script by David Goyer was rushed, is still a bit of a mess, and that Warner Bros. needs someone who won't spend months or even years trying to get it just right (i.e. Aronofsky), because time is the one thing they don't have: The studio must have a new Superman movie in production by 2011 or they'll be subject to potential lawsuits by the heirs of the superhero's creators.

"We're told that Snyder was not really Warner's first choice to direct Superman, but that a director needed to be hired imminently. Privately, even Snyder has confided to agency sources that the current Superman script needs work, but clearly Warner Bros. believes he can get it done faster than Aronofsky."

So they're saying - besides the fact that the script needs work - that this is more of a 'Clark Kent' movie than a "Superman" movie? Hmmm...

Previously...

Earlier today it was announced - and later confirmed by the man himself - that Zack Snyder would be headed to Metropolis as the director of Warner Bros' "Superman" reboot, due out 2012.

What folks now want to know (announcements always end with readers saying "...and!?" in choir) is what will this Superman 'reboot' be about, if it's not going to be another origin yarn?

According to The Hollywood Reporter, David Goyer's (Goyer was said to be also in contention for the director's gig on the film) script is said to involve series staple General Zod, famously played by Terence Stamp in the first two "Superman" pictures, and Callum Blue on recent episodes of "Smallville". That would be this film's 'link' to the original Richard Donner "Superman" film, said the trade.

Bryan Singer was also said to be considering using the character of Zod in his "Superman Returns" sequel. Jude Law was widely rumoured to be in contention to play the role.

The Zod we know best - the one from the films - 'Krypton Zod' is a Kryptonian rogue who with companions Ursa, and Non escape from the Phantom Zone and come to Earth to take control and in turn, quash it's savior.

The back-story for Zod was revealed in Action Comics Annual #10; Non had once been a brilliant scientist on par with Jor-El. Both were researching the event that would ultimately destroy Krypton. Zod entered their lab with troops (at this point Zod was still working for Krypton's Council). Both Jor-El and Non were arrested by Zod and given a warning by the High Council to halt their research, then released. Jor-El set to work creating the rocket that would send his son Kal-El to Earth, while Non began to spread the word of the planet's impending doom. Non's message swayed both Zod and Ursa that Krypton was soon to be destroyed. Non then disappeared from public life, only to return with a mutilated brain. The council had transformed him into a mindless brute and this act inspired Zod and Ursa to rebel against the Kryptonian government. Without any sense of right and wrong, Non now fought alongside Zod and Ursa. Zod attempted to recruit Jor-El to their cause; however Jor-El saw the plans were fueled by greed, a lust for power and violence.

Previously...

Update : Zack Snyder has confirmed Fleming's report, telling said scribe ''I've been a big fan of the character for a long time, he's definitely the king of all superheroes, he's the one. It's early yet, but I can tell you that what David [Goyer] and Chris [Nolan] have done with the story so far definitely has given me a great insight into a way to make him feel modern. I've always felt he was kind of awesome. I'll finish 'Sucker Punch' and get right at it."

Mike Fleming got the scoop that Zack Snyder, Warner's current go-to guy for ambitious blockbusters, will direct the 2012 "Superman" reboot. Snyder's credits include "300", "Watchmen", "The Guardians of Ga'Hoole" and "Sucker Punch". We spoke to Snyder a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned he was working on an "original" project, but never in a million years would we have assumed 'original' meant a comic book movie reboot.

Warners likely waited to see how "The Guardians of Ga'Hoole" did at the box office before handing Snyder the keys to the Fortress of Solitude. A couple of weeks ago we heard that if Darren Aronofsky got the gig, he'd be bringing his "Black Swan" leading lady Natalie Portman with him (she'd play Lois). Aronofsky hasn't got the gig... that mean Queen Amidala won't be working for The Daily Planet after all?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:43:01 AM by HeroCorruptor66/Master Kurow »

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar