collapse

Author Topic: SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #3 Voting  (Read 3266 times)

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 26, 2024, 02:34:14 PM
Re: SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #3 Voting
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2009, 08:19:17 PM »
I don't think I'm taking it the wrong way. I'm not mad or anything about it and I do understand what you're saying. Not agreeing about the group sprites though, as I still don't think it's risk. Either way, I just see my views are really different then most around here. That'd be the reason for me not entering. I might still down the line if something really gets my interest.

Aside from that, I do hate when someone vote for joke sprites. They're voting on it because it made them lol and not because it's the best sprite up. I guess that'd fall under different views too though.

Either way, it's all good. ::salute::

We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside of us.
(click to show/hide)

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 03, 2020, 07:22:20 AM
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »
If the next one is about Disney, I will consider entering.

Because, It's Midnite

Offline Z999

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:February 24, 2018, 03:28:14 PM
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 09:16:33 PM »
Actually the next contest theme is up to Dt so we'll see, i have no idea what he has cooked for us ^^

Aside from that, I do hate when someone vote for joke sprites. They're voting on it because it made them Laugh Out Loud and not because it's the best sprite up. I guess that'd fall under different views too though.

Well on that we agree, it's a shame some don't really look at the sprites before voting, or don't care as long as they had a good laugh/a favorite char... But that would be the case in every contest i think, so we shouldn't focuss on that... Personally i only enter to sprites things i wouldn't sprite everyday, and i only hope to see things i wouldn't see the other way. Don't really care for the result, i just want to make/see good sprites, improve myself/see others improve, discover new spriters, and keep it alive so i can see more things next week. I just prefer to focuss on the good aspect of this all...

edit : thanks Alex, missed your message in all this ^^

So to shorten things, what i want to say is focuss on the fun Zarro and continue to make cool sprites  %%-
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:27:17 PM by Z666 »

Offline Danoartist

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 23, 2022, 11:58:55 PM
  • I have the power.
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
   In response to Mew, I took a look at my He-Man after the fact, and thought "If he used Leo as a base I am going to be eating my words." Sure enough. :-[  Also, I had gotten a couple of comments on my Sprites colors and cape and I hadn't changed them much either from the base. I read somewhere around here that when shading I should use around 4 shades/grades of colors and that is what I did practically using the shading that was laid out already but re-editing it in the new colors.
   Things were said about my shading as well and I thought I did a decent job, when I changed from red to white I made a decision to go with Jin's white shade scale. And I used this as a reference for my Majestic
   I added Ryu's head and one of Cyclops' hands(open). So with the critiques thrown around here maybe we can agree that Capcom takes some liberties when it comes to creating style and form in their characters. Maybe we should all keep that in mind when choosing bases?
   I also would like to say this was a fun contest and as long as I am interested in the subject I will sprite another day. I won't bring such a heavy critique tone to the thread though since I made my objectives on voting clear here. Thanks and praise all around to everyone that participated, good job and have fun.

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2009, 01:04:23 AM »
I can say personally I wouldve voted for any one of Z's sprites, and I think anybody should be able to put as much effort into this as they wish. For me Grifter was too bulkey, and the coat looked a little short. Leaving the cable gun kinda detracted too. I think Zarro's Red Monika looked great, I just gave Z's sprites higher marks because it fits his style.

I wouldve voted Wildstorm girls Mr Majestic 2, Red Monika, Cheetara, Danger Girl, Mr Majestic 1, and the rest.

They were all good it was just a close competition this week.

Personally I dont vote for the comedy ones, but familiarity factors in if they are all really close.

I think if you did an Ultimate Marvel week, it could be much more rounded with more people on this forum being familiar with the characters, I'm still hoping on Vertigo week!!

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 02:30:22 AM »
Well, first off, I wish there was a bigger turn out for this one. It was about half as big as other two we've had. Lesser votes also, to boot.

I wish there was a bigger turn out too . Less sprites get less votes .   

Second, I made the Red Monika sprite. Now, I sprited this one in a way I'm not use to. Also made her, um, chest bigger then I regularly do. Wasn't surprised she didn't win though, made someone less known from a company that not many people around here had interest in IMO. Was hoping some T&A (or atleast T) would get me further in the contest, but guess not. Oh well either way.

You know me & you are cool . I just run the comp & would like to see you all win , but that's not possible . I'll be honest Red Monika didn't look like your usual style & she looked kind of rushed . I know you were sick all week & rushed to get her done . So what , this week you didn't place . get back pon the horse after you fall off & make next weeks sprite even better . 

Third, here's my take on more then one person in a sprite for this contest. If they're posing together, if they're fighting, if they have any kind of interaction going on, then I think it's fine. As long as it's two or under, as I still don't see it quite fair, but understandable. The thing I didn't like about Z's entry (although the sprites were good) was that they were clearly five different sprites that had nothing going on together. It'd be sorta like if Mew entered both the Sym Batman and Venom for the first contest awhile back as one sprite. I don't see it as a bigger risk either. They're not voting for worst, it's for best. If someone doesn't like one, they'll move on, but with multiple sprites entered, there's a bigger chance to win. That's how I feel about it though.

I have to disagree with you on this . If someone wants to take the time to make more sprites more power to them . It means they spent less time on the one they could've made . I think Z's went together . They were in poses that made them feel like they were interacting to me . Now I also agree with what Z said . More sprites could blow the vote . I didn't vote for the " Girls " because I didn't like Void & Freefall . So I voyed Danger Girl instead .

Finally, I don't think this contest is for me anymore. Just had very different views then everyone else that voted. Has nothing to do with my sprite either. I feel that Grifter should have easily been one of the top sprites, as well as Cheetara somewhere in the top. So, it's either sprite what the crowd wants to see and have a much better chance of winning, or sprite what I wanna see and likely not win.

If Grifter would have won , it would have been because of his popularity . Grifter is one of my favorite Wildstorm characters . like I mentioned , I didn't vote for him & I think he lost alot of votes becasue the coat was too short .

I don't think Majestic was " the popular " character . Because I vaguely even remember that character . I had to have the guys explain him to me a few times & then I did some research on the net about him . After that my memory started to refresh .

Every week you sprited what you wanted & you were close in the running . This week was a bad week . Move on & make something next week . I really wish you would reconsider & stay in the comps . Don't be a quitter . This comp will go on without you , but I would like you to be a part of it . You all add a different dimension to the comp , in my opinion .

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 26, 2024, 02:34:14 PM
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 03:08:56 AM »
Actually, going off what Z said, I reconsidered entering some of these. Just won't enter anything that doesn't catch my interest a lot. Like Disney was a thought I had too for a contest, and an Ultimates week would be great like Alex mentioned. Especially if you went with Ultimate DC over Marvel. Either way, will give me more time to work on my actual WIPs rather then just single edits. ;*))

Always end up getting drawn towards doing single edits over actually doing more work on my WIPs. o.O#

Anyways, thanks Z. ::salute::

We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside of us.
(click to show/hide)

Offline bdcirck

• Initiate
  • Last Login:March 23, 2013, 11:48:21 AM
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 03:20:50 AM »
DO NOT vote solely on the gratuitous T n A .
lol No wonder that Abbey Chase ( Danger Girl ) lost :D.

Offline Z999

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:February 24, 2018, 03:28:14 PM
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2009, 06:31:23 AM »
Just glad i'll see more of your sprites, wouldn't be the same if you didn't enter from time to time.
Anyway an ultimate or vertigo contest could be fun, even tought i don't now anything of the first and only am familiar with sandman for the second. But a disney contest is totally the thing i would want to see at one point. I'd sure would like to try a few things like taram, jack, tron... There is such a lot of interesting stuff in disney, this could be awesome...

bdcirck : actually your abbey was quite good i think, it's just too bad you didn't choose a better pose to make the sprite stand out. But i think you're really improving a lot with spriting ^^
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 06:38:15 AM by Z666 »

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2009, 07:40:18 AM »
Just glad i'll see more of your sprites, wouldn't be the same if you didn't enter from time to time

^^(PM)^

QTF

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
   In response to Mew, I took a look at my He-Man after the fact, and thought "If he used Leo as a base I am going to be eating my words." Sure enough. :-[ 
*Hand you a bottle of hotsauce* Enjoy  :D

Also, I had gotten a couple of comments on my Sprites colors and cape and I hadn't changed them much either from the base. I read somewhere around here that when shading I should use around 4 shades/grades of colors and that is what I did practically using the shading that was laid out already but re-editing it in the new colors.
   Things were said about my shading as well and I thought I did a decent job, when I changed from red to white I made a decision to go with Jin's white shade scale. And I used this as a reference for my Majestic
   I added Ryu's head and one of Cyclops' hands(open). So with the critiques thrown around here maybe we can agree that Capcom takes some liberties when it comes to creating style and form in their characters. Maybe we should all keep that in mind when choosing bases?
   I also would like to say this was a fun contest and as long as I am interested in the subject I will sprite another day. I won't bring such a heavy critique tone to the thread though since I made my objectives on voting clear here. Thanks and praise all around to everyone that participated, good job and have fun.

That was one of the few images I also looked at when spriting Mister Majestic, but I took some libertys with the sholderpads, I figure if his costume changes so much, I can add a slightly differnt spin to them.

Your look is more along the same size of Superman, and I wanted to make him look big enough to move planets.
Just 2 differnt interpratations, which is something I like about this contest.

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2009, 11:35:47 AM »
Awww man, i didnt realize it was in the dump already..  :'(

Offline b.easy

• Global Moderator
  • Last Login:December 01, 2022, 11:28:07 PM
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 01:22:36 PM »
whoops. sorry SM, the section was getting clogged with SOTW stuff.

feel free to post comments in the "winners of this week" topic.

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 03:09:48 PM »
Usually I lock the voting thread after I post the winning one . Then people post their comments in the winner thread . I forgot to lock it this week .

Please put this thread back in the forum & lock it  . This thread is kind of important to have , so people can look back at all the sprites for that week .

If anything just dump all the weeks threads that are the announcement of the theme .

I think the voting & winner threads should stay .

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline b.easy

• Global Moderator
  • Last Login:December 01, 2022, 11:28:07 PM
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 05:17:26 PM »
Please put this thread back in the forum & lock it  . This thread is kind of important to have , so people can look back at all the sprites for that week .
you know what, I never thought of that.  o.O#

OK, so I'll dump the announcement of the theme once voting begins.

Me and a couple of others are pulling for a __OTW section for stuff like this to simplify things, let's hope something happens in the future to make this easier.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal