collapse

Author Topic: SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #3 Voting  (Read 3264 times)

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:March 15, 2011, 07:49:36 PM
  • Anyone have some pound cake?
    • Infinitywiki DARKTALBAIN'S page
SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #3 Voting
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:11:22 AM »
Sprite of the week 3

Sprite # 1
Mr Majestic 1 ( 1st appearance Wildcats & his own series )

Sprite # 2
Abbey Chase ( Danger Girl )

Sprite # 3
Grifter ( Wildcats )

Sprite # 4
Mr Majestic 2 ( 1st appearance Wildcats & his own series )

Sprite # 5
Red Monika ( Battle Chasers )

Sprite # 6
Cheetarah ( Thundercats )

Sprite # 7
Wildstorm Girls ( Rainmaker & Fairchild/Gen 13 , Void/Wildcats , Freefall/Gen13 , Voodoo/Wildcats )

Let the voting commence . You have until Sunday evening ( eastern time zone ) to vote

DO NOT vote solely on the gratuitous T n A . Oh wait 4 out of the 7 have that . Are all the Wildstorm women really that big breasted & half naked all the time ? Now that I think back , they really are  ;*))

Quote from: Scar
Mugen, some choose to create and some choose to criticize.^-^

(click to show/hide)

Offline JahmelM (JMills)

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:February 18, 2023, 06:01:53 PM
Re: SpRiTe Of ThE wEeK cOnTeSt #3 Voting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 12:15:11 AM »
Mr. Majestic 2 got my vote  :thumbsup:

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:19:52 AM »
I didnt realize Thundercats was wildstorm.

I wonder who made what?

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 12:23:52 AM »
I didnt realize Thundercats was wildstorm.

I wonder who made what?

Look at the link I posted in the announce thread for the theme this week . Thundercats was on the list of Wildstorm titles . When I first reviewed that list & seen them . I figured that I was going to get more Thundercats submitted .

Anyway , I have to go  ^-^ 

(click to show/hide)

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 01:18:14 AM »
T an A or not the Wildstorm girls rule.

I was hoping for a gambit edit for grifter, but still a good effort.

Still I found myself searching for gateway into the Bleed to find the Wildstorm girls somewhere in the Multiverse. ;D

Offline Weapon x program

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 16, 2015, 12:38:11 PM
  • welcome
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 01:34:42 AM »
too bad we have only one vote  :-SS

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 01:45:29 AM »
T an A or not the Wildstorm girls rule.

I was hoping for a gambit edit for grifter, but still a good effort.

Still I found myself searching for gateway into the Bleed to find the Wildstorm girls somewhere in the Multiverse. ;D

LOL i dont think your wife would appreceate you sliding through the bleed and hooking up with Void or Fairchild lol

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:May 17, 2011, 11:58:08 AM
    • CVG United
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 02:14:31 AM »
Me likey this week  :thumbsup:

Offline MugenMaster44

• Initiate
  • Last Login:April 25, 2010, 09:48:54 PM
  • I will crush you
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:24:00 AM »
Mr.Majestic #1 got my vote :w00t:

:O*D Enjoying the Show

Offline SX DynX

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 17, 2016, 10:47:23 AM
  • SX DYNX
    • DynX Myspace
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »
Mr Majestic #2 got mine  ;D

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »
Looks like this may be another close one . At least it's starting off that way .

I'm actually kind of surprised . I figured there would be no way any of the male characters would be even in the running , with all the gratuitous female bodies in the comp this week .

It's still a toss up for me .

I like Mr Majestic 2 , but how can I vote for that when there is almost every Gen 13 / Wildcat girl in front of me ? Pretty true to their characters , the Gen 13 girls were always half naked in the book .

Something about the Cheetarah makes it special .

Then there is one of my favorite books . Abbey Chase from Danger Girl sprite is well done . I love that book ( when it came out ) & Campbell's artwork . That swimsuit is right out of an issue .   

Then there's Grifter . I like the sprite , but the coat is too short . Longer trench coat & this may have been a winner .

Red Monika sprite is pretty cool . But I didn't really read too many issues . To me the series was a rip off of the anime Slayers .

Mr Majestic 1 , I think the line work is better than 2 . But the shading is not as good .

I hate making these voting decisions every week . I'm usually a very decisive person . But when it comes to casting my vote in these comps , I can never make up my mind .

Or did I already vote ?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Danoartist

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 23, 2022, 11:58:55 PM
  • I have the power.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »
   There are some great sprites up this week. I support this contest because it provides potential for new characters being created for mugen. I also vote based on single sprites that could provide inspiration on how new characters could be made. 
   With that being said I have to say that anatomy should take some priority, when working on human characters it is the basic fundamental. The Majestic 2, while bigger and more flashy it looks a bit off, it looks as though if he were to put his arms at his side they would reach past his knees. Abby Chase looks off too, while cool to see unless you know the way muscles should look you really shouldn't just throw some lines on the legs. The Red Monika also looks a bit off, but it might just be the size of the sprite in whole.
   Cheetarah, Grifter and Majestic 1 might be a little off in coloring but I could still see those being made into sweet characters to play with.
   Sorry, I am not trying to be harsh I am just relaying artistic advice that has been given to me through my life not pertaining to spriting but applies none the less.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 08, 2023, 09:35:27 PM
  • I'm done you know where to find me. Click my sig.
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 06:14:48 PM »
I voted for the wildcat girls. Not because of boobige. But because they look like decent sprites.

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
  • Last Login:October 15, 2021, 10:01:22 AM
  • Infinity News Reporter and Journalist
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
   There are some great sprites up this week. I support this contest because it provides potential for new characters being created for mugen. I also vote based on single sprites that could provide inspiration on how new characters could be made. 
   With that being said I have to say that anatomy should take some priority, when working on human characters it is the basic fundamental. The Majestic 2, while bigger and more flashy it looks a bit off, it looks as though if he were to put his arms at his side they would reach past his knees. Abby Chase looks off too, while cool to see unless you know the way muscles should look you really shouldn't just throw some lines on the legs. The Red Monika also looks a bit off, but it might just be the size of the sprite in whole.
   Cheetarah, Grifter and Majestic 1 might be a little off in coloring but I could still see those being made into sweet characters to play with.
   Sorry, I am not trying to be harsh I am just relaying artistic advice that has been given to me through my life not pertaining to spriting but applies none the less.

you're not harsh,you're being honest and providing some useful feedback to the creators of those sprites(whoever they are,we will know once the contest is done)
Harsh would have been if you said something like "This three sprites are [insert curseword],learn how to sprite[insert f-word]"
On topic...
Judging on how the sprites turned out i decided to pick the wildcats girls
They do stand out from the rest(not only because of T n A like DT said) because of good shading,coloring and good proportions overall  :)

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 07:14:43 PM »

That's crazy , I didn't notice it until you brought it up . Majestic 2's arms are very big . I wonder if the creator frankensprited the arms off a bigger base . I guess we will find out when the comp is over .

Grifter's problem to me still is the coat . It should be longer .

I am still liking the Abbey Chase alot .

As for the Wildcat/Gen13 girls . I'm almost sure they had no base . I know the Voodoo didn't . I guess we will find out more about that when the comp ends 2morrow also .

It would be cool to hear how some the entries were done each week after the comp ends . What base or bases were used , how long it took the creator , any tidbit about the sprite . Maybe even why they chose that particular character or characters .

(click to show/hide)

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 03, 2020, 07:22:20 AM
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 09:19:57 PM »
In my opinion, it's Mr. Majestic numero uno, mostly when it comes to getting a sprite in-style and anatomical correctness. It really nailed the selout. The only thing that could have a little bit of improvement is the cape, since it's kind of straight as a board, as if it has been stiff-dried.

However, the Wildstorm girls do have better poses. The outline could be more defined at some spots, at least this one could definitely use some selout. Also, I think a little less defined facial features would have helped the sprites more. The Abbey Chase sprite is a great example of a good face without a defined nose. Of course the nose is there, it's even sprited, but the outline of the nose isn't there. It's practically invisible, but visible at the same time. This would have really helped the Wildstorm girls. Only problem is, Abbey's pose looks a little awkward, and her back does look a little strange.

Anyway, for the others, Grifter is good, the pose could use some work, and the colors are a bit too dark. It makes the shading kind of useless, anyway. For both Red Monika and Cheetara, the only advice I have is to use a more defined outline.

Mr. Majestic numero dos is a pretty good one as well, probably as good as Mr. Majestic numero uno. In this case it's more about taste, which one of the two you really like. Both actually are of a somewhat equal quality, to me.

What I do notice is that both use too many colors. While it is true that in MUGEN, you don't have to aim for a 15 color + background color limit, I was able to eliminate a few colors of each character, with the exception of Grifter. That one had the perfect amount of colors, save for a stray pixel, which raised the total color count from 24 to 25 colors. There were no needless colors in the sprite at least. I do have to admit that I couldn't test the sprite group due to the fact that they are separate characters.

So anyway, my vote goes to Mr. Majestic 1.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:26:44 PM by GaryCXJk »

Because, It's Midnite

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
Well that ends another contest for sprite of the week . The final vote was cast by me for Abbey Chase . Which really had no effect on the outcome . But she was my favorite sprite & I like the fact that the creator used an outfit right out of the book .

I will post the winner thread later . Right now I have to get ready for a superbowl party .

Thanx to all who entered , you all derserve a round of applause .  =D> =D> =D>

(click to show/hide)

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 04:55:32 PM »
Well now that he's officaly ended it... I can finaly respond to whateveryone's been sayinag about my sprite.

I made this from this

With that being said I have to say that anatomy should take some priority, when working on human characters it is the basic fundamental. The Majestic 2, while bigger and more flashy it looks a bit off, it looks as though if he were to put his arms at his side they would reach past his knees.

Funny cuz its the same base you used on He-man LMAO! And as you can/cannot tell, I did not alter the body perportions on Leo to make Mister Majestic. Infact I had to redraw the inside of the legs were the cloth was covering up to turn them into his tights.

As for colors, I decided to stick with the ammount of colors leo was using, which was like 15-17 colors for the body, so both white and red are arround this meny colors, the peach for the face uses about 10 or so.
The head was made from cable, but i had to alter it heavly to get it to work with the proportions of the body.

And about those girls. LOL THATS NOT FAIR! Thats a bunch of sprites, not one, and void looks like she has a buldge [/sourgrapes] lol just playing. But who made the girls, was it Batz or was it Z?

Well that ends another contest for sprite of the week . The final vote was cast by me for Abbey Chase . Which really had no effect on the outcome . But she was my favorite sprite & I like the fact that the creator used an outfit right out of the book .

You never vote for me  :'(  lol

Offline DARKTALBAIN

• " STAR "
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »
You never vote for me  :'(  lol

What can I say the T n A got me :lol: I really think that Abbey looked like her .  Still taking nothing away from anyone elses work . But I love those Danger Girl comics when they first came out .

Z made the Girls . I'll post who made what like usual , after the Superbowl  :thumbsup:

(click to show/hide)

Offline tremainekr

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:August 17, 2021, 03:04:27 AM
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
i vote 4 number 4
Your sig is way too big - Admin

Offline Z999

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:February 24, 2018, 03:28:14 PM
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 05:52:08 PM »
To answer something posted before in the thread, all the girls are made from scratch (so special thanks to Kpt25 for his kind comment, proportions were a little hard to respect, especially for void and fairchild), with two exeptions.
I did use a psylocke leg for the front leg for fairchild and psylocke hands for freefall hands.

Thanks everyone and congrats to the others ^^

Oh and group sprites is not unfair ^^ Let's recall someone submitted a Jason vs Ash group sprite in the last contest; who was it again :D
As a matter of fact i even intended to make at least three more girls for the contest, but just never had the time ^^

By the way i'm really surprised red monika didn't get a lot more votes, weird...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:22:04 PM by Z666 »

Offline GaryCXJk

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 03, 2020, 07:22:20 AM
    • Area91
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
If anything, group sprites are a bigger risk.

Because, It's Midnite

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 26, 2024, 02:34:14 PM
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2009, 07:16:33 PM »
Well, first off, I wish there was a bigger turn out for this one. It was about half as big as other two we've had. Lesser votes also, to boot.

Second, I made the Red Monika sprite. Now, I sprited this one in a way I'm not use to. Also made her, um, chest bigger then I regularly do. Wasn't surprised she didn't win though, made someone less known from a company that not many people around here had interest in IMO. Was hoping some T&A (or atleast T) would get me further in the contest, but guess not. Oh well either way.

Third, here's my take on more then one person in a sprite for this contest. If they're posing together, if they're fighting, if they have any kind of interaction going on, then I think it's fine. As long as it's two or under, as I still don't see it quite fair, but understandable. The thing I didn't like about Z's entry (although the sprites were good) was that they were clearly five different sprites that had nothing going on together. It'd be sorta like if Mew entered both the Sym Batman and Venom for the first contest awhile back as one sprite. I don't see it as a bigger risk either. They're not voting for worst, it's for best. If someone doesn't like one, they'll move on, but with multiple sprites entered, there's a bigger chance to win. That's how I feel about it though.

Finally, I don't think this contest is for me anymore. Just had very different views then everyone else that voted. Has nothing to do with my sprite either. I feel that Grifter should have easily been one of the top sprites, as well as Cheetara somewhere in the top. So, it's either sprite what the crowd wants to see and have a much better chance of winning, or sprite what I wanna see and likely not win.

That's my two cents on everything. It's fine if no one agrees, but it's how I feel. ::salute::

We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside of us.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Alexziq

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 10, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »
Funny thing is Ive worked with you guys often enough I knew who did the sprites. Z makes the best perportioned women in Mugen, Mews face was a dead give away. Red Monika was dead on Zarro.

I will say the wildstorm girls just fit Z's style better than the rest did. Most of these were very good. Danger Girl deserved more luv as well.

Offline Z999

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:February 24, 2018, 03:28:14 PM
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »
Wow, i think you really take it the wrong way ^^

I don't see it as a bigger risk either. They're not voting for worst, it's for best. If someone doesn't like one, they'll move on, but with multiple sprites entered, there's a bigger chance to win.

Well that works the other way around too. Sure if someone sees one sprite he likes among the five, he will vote for it. But if there is one sprite he don't like he won't vote for it. 5 chances to have a sprite taking the vote, 5 chances to have a sprite cost a vote. That's the way i see it. Plus by making five sprites you can't put the same level of attention than for one sprite, i actually think they are all rushed and see many way to improve them (voodoo legs, fairchild hair and shading, rainmaker knees, the general lack of anti alias on the outer line). By submitting only one sprite i could have corrected these.
About the "if there is some situation" it's not like the characters never had any crossovers together, at first i was planning a  wildstorm beach party or battle theme but i'm sure someone would have said the same still, that it was not fair.

So, it's either sprite what the crowd wants to see and have a much better chance of winning, or sprite what I wanna see and likely not win.

Uh i don't agree with this one. Of course some will vote without even looking at the sprites, as some will just vote for the best looking and more revelent. Just look at the two other weeks, i don't think symbiote jedah, edward sissorhands, the white chick guy (don't even know who he is)... You can't say they were the most famous entries of the contests. Still they were among the best ranked next to popular chars like symbiote batman or myers or whatever. While grifter is totally what i would call a pretty popular character, far more than mr majestic at least.

Anyway that is just my opinion, it's just too bad you don't feel like entering again because of this cause i actually like your entries at each contest and think they make the contest more interesting.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:02:30 PM by Z666 »

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal