collapse

Author Topic: Do you prefer mainstream or obscure animes?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Violent Ken Masters

• Contributor
  • Last Login:April 17, 2017, 01:52:10 AM
  • WELCOME TO DIE!!!
    • Violent Ken's site
    • Email
Re: Do you prefer mainstream or obscure animes?
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »
Ah gotcha. But then it'd be an ordinary blast If Goku stopped saying "Kamehameha!" wouldn't it?
The only time he shoots Kamehameha and doesn't say it, is when he's Super Saiyan.
They're called Rage Kamehameha's or something like it.
I think they need to say the name of their movie because I don't know, it's probably like spells.
Like if you say the move, it's a lot stronger than it is without saying it.

Offline Gigan X3

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:December 05, 2015, 07:56:22 PM
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 10:13:56 PM »
And here's another thing....

Do you absolutely positively HAVE to yell out the name of your attack when you use it?!?!

I mean, come on!!  That's just stupid.  It's okay if you name your various attacks (if that's your thing, I mean, if that kinda thing makes you happy), but it just sounds so incredibly cheesy everytime they yell out some silly Japanese word whenever they use the attack.

And DON'T try to convince me that they HAVE to do it to activate it.  If you haven't figured out how to properly use your maneuver without screaming it's name out, then you need to go back and practice it some more.

I mean, honestly.  If you and I were in a fight, and I rear back and punch you in the chest, would you expect me to shout out something like "Raging Knuckle!!" when I attack you?  I swear....

Kagebunshin no Jutsu! KamehameHa! Gomu Gomu no Pistol!

Hm, Well Yeah, Some are Annoying but I like 'em. The classic Kamehameha Charging sound plus the Ka...Me...Ha...Me..Gets me full of excitement as I watche DB/DBZ since I was 4. Yup, I don't and Didn't watch the Dub Either, I don't actually watch Dubs. I didn't get crap of what they were saying but it sounded cool.

Offline SpacemanHardy

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 04, 2011, 10:21:53 PM
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 10:16:25 PM »
Ah gotcha. But then it'd be an ordinary blast If Goku stopped saying "Kamehameha!" wouldn't it?
The only time he shoots Kamehameha and doesn't say it, is when he's Super Saiyan.
They're called Rage Kamehameha's or something like it.
I think they need to say the name of their movie because I don't know, it's probably like spells.
Like if you say the move, it's a lot stronger than it is without saying it.

Okay.... let's do a comparison.

*punches in arm*

Did that hurt?  Now, let's try it like this...

"RAGING KNUCKLE!!!"
*punches in arm*

Now, which one hurt worse?

The Krogan Sandwich.  Have you had yours today?

Offline SpacemanHardy

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 10:20:56 PM »

Do you absolutely positively HAVE to yell out the name of your attack when you use it?!?!

I mean, come on!!  That's just stupid.  It's okay if you name your various attacks (if that's your thing, I mean, if that kinda thing makes you happy), but it just sounds so incredibly cheesy everytime they yell out some silly Japanese word whenever they use the attack.

And DON'T try to convince me that they HAVE to do it to activate it.  If you haven't figured out how to properly use your maneuver without screaming it's name out, then you need to go back and practice it some more.

I mean, honestly.  If you and I were in a fight, and I rear back and punch you in the chest, would you expect me to shout out something like "Raging Knuckle!!" when I attack you?  I swear....

Hm, Well Yeah, Some are Annoying but I like 'em. The classic Kamehameha Charging sound plus the Ka...Me...Ha...Me..Gets me full of excitement as I watche DB/DBZ since I was 4. Yup, I don't and Didn't watch the Dub Either, I don't actually watch Dubs. I didn't get sh*t of what they were saying but it sounded cool.

I will admit, the Kamehameha is the one that doesn't really bother me.  The charge up was pretty cool, how he said it.  But really, in other series they're just outright STUPID.

And as far as dubs are concerned, I think you should give them another shot.  There are still some really bad ones out there like Naruto, but overall the English dub has VASTLY improved.  The actors actually seem to care about their roles now.  They are worlds better than they were ten years ago.  In fact, I like the dubs of Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing even better than the Japanese.  Plus, it takes away all that awkward subtitle reading, so you can focus more on the action itself.

Offline Negi Springfield

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:December 26, 2022, 03:12:38 PM
  • Got some change?!
    • Hokuto_no_Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 10:26:05 PM »

Hm, Well Yeah, Some are Annoying but I like 'em. The classic Kamehameha Charging sound plus the Ka...Me...Ha...Me..Gets me full of excitement as I watche DB/DBZ since I was 4. Yup, I don't and Didn't watch the Dub Either, I don't actually watch Dubs. I didn't get sh*t of what they were saying but it sounded cool.

I will admit, the Kamehameha is the one that doesn't really bother me.  The charge up was pretty cool, how he said it.  But really, in other series they're just outright STUPID.

And as far as dubs are concerned, I think you should give them another shot.  There are still some really bad ones out there like Naruto, but overall the English dub has VASTLY improved.  The actors actually seem to care about their roles now.  They are worlds better than they were ten years ago.  In fact, I like the dubs of Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing even better than the Japanese.  Plus, it takes away all that awkward subtitle reading, so you can focus more on the action itself.
XD
I know what you mean....
>.>
<.<
I wont say which classic anime favorite of mine I tried watching ago awhile ago
but the voice acting was AWFULL
X_X
XD...

Offline SpacemanHardy

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2008, 10:27:17 PM »
Wow... this really got off on a tangent.

Anyways... I'll just say this:

Go watch Mushi-shi.

Either you'll love it or you'll hate it, but you'll have to admit, it's like no other anime out there.

That is all.

Offline SpacemanHardy

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2008, 10:39:55 PM »

XD
I know what you mean....
>.>
<.<
I wont say which classic anime favorite of mine I tried watching ago awhile ago
but the voice acting was AWFULL
X_X
XD...

A lot of whether an English dub is good or not depends on both the individual actors and the ADR director as well.  Some animes can have a stellar groups of VAs, but the dub turns out really poor because it wasn't directed well.

You also grow fond of certain individuals' voices in certain series.  A lot of times I'll sit through a bad dub just because they have one really good actor or actress that I like.  An example of this is GetBackers.  Every VA other than the ones who voiced Ban and Ginji were really poor.  But, I stuck it out with the dub because I really like Jason Liebrecht (Ban's VA).

Other English VAs sound better when they're paired with another actor.  A few good examples of this are Wendee Lee and Steven Blum (Faye and Spike from Bebop) and Luci Christian and Chris Patton (most notably from Full Metal Panic!, but it seems like they're in everything together).  Couples like these tend to have a really good chemistry together as far as voice-overs are concerned, and that makes the dub sound considerably better.

Offline Barbary

• Initiate
  • Last Login:August 29, 2009, 06:23:55 PM
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
Dude, Steven Blum VA's everything. He is the VA Jesus.

Honestly I watch whatever catches my eye. Ive watched the popular(Cowboy Bebop,Bleach), the not so well known(Galaxy Express, Blue Gender), the short(Area 88), the long(DBZ), fantasy(Berserk, Claymore), sci-fi(Gundam), martial arts guys with super powers(Yu-Yu-Hakusho, Tenjho Tenge), and babes with space suits and big ships(Nadesco). Ive watched stuff thats borderline hentai, and Ive crossed that line and seen some pretty odd hentai(which raised the question of why the Japanese are so obsessed with tenticles and futanari). So I guess Im the middle guy.

Offline Super Senseless Violent Man

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:August 20, 2009, 11:12:08 AM
  • Yep, into Kingdom Hearts now.
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 12:45:39 AM »
A little of both. Like when i saw bleach and naruto i was hooked...  :-w for 1-50 episodes and i love the Dragon Ball series! Oh and Great Teacher Onizuka,Hajime no Hippo  ;D
Formely know as "Radical Rex, Optimus Prime, Sonniku, and Chuck Norris, Riku, but will always be know as Radical Rex!"
Sig by "TheLantern"
RiP-Reu-RiP-Danny

Offline Darkgargos

• Infinity Graphic Designer
  • Last Login:October 10, 2017, 12:10:54 PM
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 02:21:55 AM »
I really don't have any personal preference when it comes to anime, I just watch whatever interests me. I love all kinds of anime so it doesn't matter if it is mainstream or obscure as long as I enjoy it. I think a lot of the movies are some of the best stuff to watch, the animation is much better and I find myself get into the story more. In the end I think it's just a matter of " to each their own" because I really could care less if people think what I choose to watch is stupid. As long as I like it then that's all that matters  ;D

Offline The Great Matsutzu

• Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:April 17, 2009, 10:03:33 AM
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2008, 09:22:16 AM »
Admittedly, my favoruites tend to be the more obsecure "not brought to the US" anime.. the ones that come to the top of my head atm is Legendz: Tale of the Dragon Kings and the anime movie 'Arashi no Yoru Ni'.

Offline xsabin

• Initiate
  • Last Login:August 03, 2011, 01:22:05 PM
  • obey my orders
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »
obscure,the only Really good big animes(more than 100 episodes...)that rock are Hokuto No Ken(it is really big,but at least most of the fights dont even take a half episode and they are still cooler than most of those big ones) and ranma(this anime never was good for the storie,but for comedy),i also like abenobashi(had to see this in brazilian subtitles,really hard to find in english but if you find it,SEE IT this is the only comedy anime i can give 10/10,but you need to have good knowledge of anime or else you wont understand the jokes),Karas,Wolfs Rain,Figure 17,infinity ryvius,get backers(just one information,the manga is still ongoing).those who hunt elves(i havent see many people talk about this anime,it is actually really good),monster(if you like psychological stories then this anime is for you) and fantastic children(one of the best stories on anime ever)

Offline StarXS

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:March 07, 2008, 09:43:28 PM
  • Legionnaire
    • Mugen Battle Network Blog
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2008, 04:44:44 PM »
I used to like the mainstream stuff (this is before Naruto was translated to english) and since I was an artist, manga/anime heavily influenced my work. After I watched every episode of DBZ & DBGT in japanese, I kinda stopped watching until I caught on to some of the more out there, off the wall stuff: Lupin III, Cowboy Bebop, Betterman was good, too bad it only lasted like 26 episodes...

nowadays I watch with my kids, but I still keep an eye out for new/different stuff, since Im not so close-minded. I think I'll check out Death Note next, and maybe Ghost in the Shell if its anything like the movie. Also maybe Galaxy Express 999 & Neon Genesis Evangelion sometme in the future

Offline Sasuke-kun

• Presea Fan and
  • Global Moderator (out of the office)
  • Last Login:October 18, 2013, 01:26:43 PM
  • 50% output should be sufficient...
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2008, 04:59:37 PM »
I really don't care too much if what I watch are mainstream series or obscure series...

Since I have seen from both sides...
I could say I watch almost anything as long as I have read a little bit about the plot and I think is an interesting one...

Oh...
And also as long as I have time to see them. :P
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 05:01:26 PM by Sasuke-kun »
Lloyd: Presea, no one can stand against your axe!!!
Presea: The enemy has been defeated. We should move on.
Lloyd: Cold...

Offline Esq.

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 07, 2013, 09:43:21 PM
    • Esq. - MySpace page
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »
I can't say it matters much to me, as long as the animation is on point, the voice actors fit the characters, and the plot intrigues me I'm good. I don't watch much television so I sort of just stumble across stuff. Whether it's popular or not, I really just don't care. If i like it, I watch it.

You also grow fond of certain individuals' voices in certain series.

Yea, that's how it is for me, more often than not I'm watching my anime is Japanese...like Naruto for example, I can watch the J Dub ALL DAY LONG and not really get sick of it, but I can't sit through a minute of the English dub. It annoys me to no ends. For me, it just doesn't fit.

Dude, Steven Blum VA's everything. He is the VA Jesus.

QFT!!!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal