collapse

Author Topic: Game Talk: Techniques Discussion  (Read 465 times)

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 12:28:10 AM
  • The trend setter
Game Talk: Techniques Discussion
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:39:52 AM »
Let’s use this thread to talk about various things we see in major video games. Since allot of the things bought into mugen is sourced from main stream. I think it would be good to talk about them. I thought this would be a good topic because I have been doing research because I want to become a better creator. Unlike most of us creators I lack the understanding and lingo used in fighters. This is my own fought however because I too grew up on MK, SF, IC, KI, and Tekken. I just never fallowed the main stream buzz and as a result lack understanding or have my own term for things. Any ways I want this thread to be about growth and understanding. Here’s the links I been reading to help me develop characters below. Please share any resources you have.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Glossary_of_fighting_games#Shotokan_Character.2FShoto.2FShotoclone
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2007/oct/21/street-fighter-terminology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Glossary
http://www.infinitymugenteam.com/Forum_345/index.php?topic=40227.0

To start off liked like to talk about the psychokinesis/ Telekinesis attacks.  Attacks Used by Ermac, Kenchi, Raven (IJ), and Green Lantern to a lesser extent. I personally don’t like these attacks. I think they are cheap. But I don’t understand them ether. Some seem like invisible projectiles where as others like grabs. They are usually invisible so they come out of nowhere and often seem unblockable.

(I wont post any MK video because of the blood)

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
Re: Game Talk: Techniques Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:11:18 AM »
SNK Boss Syndrome

...im guilty..

Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 12:28:10 AM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 05:44:33 AM »
so thats how you perceive these type of attacks?

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:05:59 PM »
nah just poking jokes at my self.

those to me only make sense in that kind of game. Its a hardcore super hero game where almost everyone has an edge like that. if hardly no one had it in the game and that one character had it and it had no limits then it could be cheap. Also depending on the user and CPU AI. me and you could be playing the game and i could be trying to use it cheap on you and it wouldnt work because you knew of a strategy and way around it. a weak spot.

it all depends man. the limits if any and the strategy to counter it... :-??
Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline trexrell44

• Student of the Game
  • Forum Member
  • Last Login:February 22, 2020, 09:06:21 PM
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 08:51:39 PM »
I like that you came up with this because I too think that its kinda cheesey. To me Raven in the right hands could be unbeatable. I'm actually surprised that more people do not use her. Raven is actually ...to me the best character in the game she breaks armor(easily) shes fast and can grab you from anywhere on the screen at anytime. I would have thought that she would of had a range at least. But apparently not  XD||

You also have to consider that they had to make due to the fact that she could not blow up or throw large objects.

The way I found to beating her is to keep jump and trying to catch her on the head with a jump kick. Other than that shes a beast.

CENTER]

Offline Kazander13

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 07, 2018, 04:34:39 PM
  • Predictabo!
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »
To start off liked like to talk about the psychokinesis/ Telekinesis attacks.  Attacks Used by Ermac, Kenchi, Raven (IJ), and Green Lantern to a lesser extent. I personally don’t like these attacks. I think they are cheap. But I don’t understand them ether. Some seem like invisible projectiles where as others like grabs. They are usually invisible so they come out of nowhere and often seem unblockable.

To be honest they don't bother me.  I've played most mainstream 2d/3d games with my favorite series being Tekken.  For what it's worth, I've had a pretty good streak of local tournament wins in the Houston area and a few in Las Vegas for Soul Calibur.  Once you play those games for a long time, and I have been playing Tekken since 95, you start remembering the frames of moves (which gets rough when characters can have around 150 moves in their list) and you pretty much just watch your opponent for startups and use safe punishers and try not to throw out trash that will get you killed.  After a long time of doing that, 2d games got way easier lol.  Point is I guess I just look at opponent movements rather than waiting for the projectile or after effect.

I could see how that could get annoying if you are used to watching for a projectile to perform a reactive block or evasion though.

Now for nostalgia in 3d, Battle Arena Toshinden...  I think you sat on the ground for about 20 seconds after getting knocked down.  That's what I get for thinking of fighting games in 95 lol

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal