collapse

Author Topic: What is the easiest thing to make/create for a mugen game?  (Read 1155 times)

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Born Again Man Of Faith
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:January 22, 2022, 07:00:18 PM
  • Repent To Yahusha(Jesus), For He Is Your Savior
What is the easiest thing to make/create for a mugen game?
« on: March 05, 2013, 05:24:33 PM »
This question has been buzzing in my head for the longest time i just could never figure it out...i always thought that a portrait was the easiest thing then i thought that stages was the easiest and that chars was the hardest...what's y'all opinion?

Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline DarkWolf13

• Initiate
  • Last Login:October 22, 2015, 11:19:17 PM
  • Beware of the Dark Wolf!
Re: What is the easiest thing to make/create for a mugen game?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 05:53:14 PM »
I find making palettes and lifebar portraits the easiest for me in MUGEN because I have all the stuff I need to make them. At first I found making lifebar portraits difficult but then after taking a class last semester involving photo manipulation and whatnot, I became better at it and made some good SFA3 portraits for non-Street Fighter Alpha characters. For palettes, I use photoshop and mess around with the hue and saturation to change the color of the entire character sprite but only for non-human characters such as Hauzer (Red Earth), WereGarurumon (Digimon), J. Talbain (Darkstalkers), etc.

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 06:21:55 PM »
man i put my post in the wrong spot! good thing to edit i tell ya. REMOVED!  lol.

well easiest thing i have gotten done fast was Making a simple stage. like a very simple stage. lol  but i honestly think anything you do can take time and can be hard depending on your own skill level with what your doing and how much quality your gonna put into it.  like i made as simple fx one day but i couldn't figure out how to res it up to the quality i wanted.  ~X(, so something that took me 5 minutes to make in paint took me 3 hours to get to where i kinda liked it.  I was happy....till i accidently saved it as a jpg and it was horrible and i didnt get to save the original work.  o.O# :'( .

ehh thats my lil story.  ::salute::

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
man i put my post in the wrong spot! good thing to edit i tell ya. REMOVED!  lol.

well easiest thing i have gotten done fast was Making a simple stage. like a very simple stage. lol  but i honestly think anything you do can take time and can be hard depending on your own skill level with what your doing and how much quality your gonna put into it.  like i made as simple fx one day but i couldn't figure out how to res it up to the quality i wanted.  ~X(, so something that took me 5 minutes to make in paint took me 3 hours to get to where i kinda liked it.  I was happy....till i accidently saved it as a jpg and it was horrible and i didnt get to save the original work.  o.O# :'( .

ehh thats my lil story.  ::salute::

Wow that's deep yea bruh i thought stage creation might be the best way to go since char work don't seem to be in my category lol  :D so i figured i try to learn how to do stages instead i just need to find a good tutorial on how to do so

Same with the avatar shields as you can see i tried to make some i mean they turned out nice but photoshop wasn't free so i ended up losin the program so now im trying to figure out another way to create IMT shields again  ???
Sting Of The Scorpion

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:49:31 PM »
yeah i think making avy's are a great way to learn some graphics stuff. Rage put me on awhile ago and i still aint nowhere near as good of any artists, especially cause i dont fiddle around as much but i have learned how to manipulate some stuff now alot better. a simple avy , yeah i can do that but to go all graphical genius with those... nope. lol. but learning to crop images really got me going and being more patient.

dude just get the broke mans photoshop.....Gimp. its great to use and its totally free. Has some nice tools and features. there are others i believe butt well but Gimp seems to be the other way to go if you dont got photoshop.  :-??

you can find stage rips at Spriters Resource and around here asnd other spots. SR has alot of pieces as well that are on sheets already ripped to edit. can make one in paint to be simple., and then to get fancy and go all out Gimp and photoshop to do extra stuff for to be done in fighter factory like the coding. I use Cybasters stage tool to create simple beta stage to get the stage working. once you go into animations and all the more Hr stuff you then go to the photoshop/gimp programs i believe.  I as well use gimp to make layers and altering res on stages and pieces. I am not a bonifide stage creator so def have to ask some far more experienced stage creators who know they stuff and also some cool youtube tutorials are around on getting started with simple stages and as well the  more advanced techniques.  ::salute:: Hail Crom bro!

Offline DarkWolf13

• Initiate
  • Last Login:October 22, 2015, 11:19:17 PM
  • Beware of the Dark Wolf!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 06:55:39 PM »
So it's that easy to create a stage for MUGEN? But I checked a stage's .sff and .air file in Fighter Factory and they don't seem that easy... So a stage can be any low ground with some simple background, such as the sky with clouds passing by... that kind of stage?

Offline Arias

• Stage Creator
  • Last Login:June 18, 2023, 06:33:08 PM
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 07:54:33 PM »
Objetively and in general(coding graphics ets), a character is the hardest thing to create while a static image stage using Cybaster stage tool is the easiest.
now, depending on the level of quality you want to put into your creation that can vary...
my most simple character took me 5 days(caring that it doesn't suck or it's glitchy of course), while my most elaborated stage took me 2 months(made nearly from scratch).

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
Objetively and in general(coding graphics ets), a character is the hardest thing to create while a static image stage using Cybaster stage tool is the easiest.
now, depending on the level of quality you want to put into your creation that can vary...
my most simple character took me 5 days(caring that it doesn't suck or it's glitchy of course), while my most elaborated stage took me 2 months(made nearly from scratch).
^^(PM)^ indeed!
yeah you can do a static stage using cybaster tool thats just simple for base design in no time but like Alice said depending on the level of quality you want to put in it, it gets deeper.  custom scratch characters with alot of smooth frames and great quality has def got to be the hardest.  ~X(

Offline DarkValentine

• The Fanfic artist of M.U.G.E.N
  • Stage Creator
  • Last Login:September 06, 2020, 06:47:50 PM
  • The FanFic Artist of M.U.G.E.N
    • DV's Works
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
This question has been buzzing in my head for the longest time i just could never figure it out...i always thought that a portrait was the easiest thing then i thought that stages was the easiest and that chars was the hardest...what's y'all opinion?

Pretty much what Alice said. If you are looking for something easy to do, then stage making will be your easiest bet.

If you are making a single layer stage, then you can use Cybaster's Stage Creation tool to make it to your needs. If you are looking to make a stage using multiple layers, or having depth & variety, you can either use Cybaster's tool to get your first stage started, and add the layers yourself. Or, you can study a stage's sff & def file you may have on hand, and go from there.

For me, a stage can take anywhere from a few hours, to a few days or weeks to make. Depending on the level of depth, quality & authenticity I want it to be. As well as how much time I actually have on hand. But even that is debatable. Just like everything else, it depends on the tools, resources and your own imagination, to create something new, or a new twist on an old favorite.

The only real limitations, is your own mind. You can do whatever you like, only if you feel like it can be done. I couldn't make characters for the life of me. So, I got into making stages. Haven't looked back since.

So it's that easy to create a stage for MUGEN? But I checked a stage's .sff and .air file in Fighter Factory and they don't seem that easy... So a stage can be any low ground with some simple background, such as the sky with clouds passing by... that kind of stage?

The .air file is not completely required to make a stage overall. You only need a few basic components.

1. Material you plan on adding in for your stage
2. Tools to use said material
3. Fighter Factory Classic to build it (Cybaster's tool if you want a single layer stage, or base to build upon).

As long as you understand how the sff & def files work, the .air to make a stage, while optional, is never really needed. But to answer your question: Yes. It is very possible to make a stage, on what you described as an example. If you are really creative, a stage can be one complete moving animation. The W.V.B.A. Minor Circuit stage I made, is an example. The entire stage is one whole moving animation. Not much is used to make it work.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:47:00 PM by DarkValentine »
"Today, your inevitable teaching. Tomorrow, your unavoidable Schooling - DarkValentine1984"

DV's Works

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 07:46:37 AM »

Pretty much what Alice said. If you are looking for something easy to do, then stage making will be your easiest bet.

If you are making a single layer stage, then you can use Cybaster's Stage Creation tool to make it to your needs. If you are looking to make a stage using multiple layers, or having depth & variety, you can either use Cybaster's tool to get your first stage started, and add the layers yourself. Or, you can study a stage's sff & def file you may have on hand, and go from there.

For me, a stage can take anywhere from a few hours, to a few days or weeks to make. Depending on the level of depth, quality & authenticity I want it to be. As well as how much time I actually have on hand. But even that is debatable. Just like everything else, it depends on the tools, resources and your own imagination, to create something new, or a new twist on an old favorite.

The only real limitations, is your own mind. You can do whatever you like, only if you feel like it can be done. I couldn't make characters for the life of me. So, I got into making stages. Haven't looked back since.

The .air file is not completely required to make a stage overall. You only need a few basic components.

1. Material you plan on adding in for your stage
2. Tools to use said material
3. Fighter Factory Classic to build it (Cybaster's tool if you want a single layer stage, or base to build upon).

As long as you understand how the sff & def files work, the .air to make a stage, while optional, is never really needed. But to answer your question: Yes. It is very possible to make a stage, on what you described as an example. If you are really creative, a stage can be one complete moving animation. The W.V.B.A. Minor Circuit stage I made, is an example. The entire stage is one whole moving animation. Not much is used to make it work.

Thanks Alice and DarkValentne y'all have inspired me to be a stage creator instead of a char creator so wth that said ima go ahead and look for that Cybaster stage maker or tool or w.e. and learn from there so i can get started 8) i had to ask cause it did seem like that stages were WAY easier so im glad y'all told me thank you again
Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline ZVitor

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 01, 2024, 07:22:36 PM
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:38:32 AM »
project topic.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:58:32 PM by zvitor »

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 06, 2024, 12:04:31 PM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »
And the hardest thing is...to avoid drama :)

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 03:18:35 PM »
And the hardest thing is...to avoid drama :)

Yea that to lol

And ZV yea i noticed that projects are probably the hardest as well seeing as how they never usually get done lol
Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline Cyanide

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 29, 2019, 06:52:34 AM
    • Mugen Obscurity
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 11:54:59 PM »
In order from easiest to hardest using 1.0

Fonts (both TTF and bmp type fonts are amazingly simple)
Options screen
Main Menu
Select (provided you're not being dozy and trying to animate portraits and stuff)
Lifebars
Round display
Stages
Endings/Intros
Characters

Stages CAN become complex, but generally they are not.

Offline volzzilla

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 03, 2024, 11:29:19 AM
  • MMV - http://mugenmultiverse.forumotion.com/
    • The Mugen Multiverse
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2013, 04:10:03 PM »
it all depends on the amount of time you want to put into whatever. there are probably a couple characters (albeit bad ones) that whoever spent less time on than i did with a few ports (removing BG, color corrections, adding pixels, etc to a few can take time) i made. here an example of that. black widow originally from a comic page scanned image.

stage making the best example of that theory. one can pump out a single frame mega easy with cybaster tool, or make a bunch of animations and code them into said stage.
Please visit a DC/Marvel centered Mugen Community at: http://mugenmultiverse.forumotion.com/

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[Today at 10:20:11 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar