How to add characters
1) Move the folder Ryu_MvC into the \chars folder in your mugen directory.
2) Open the file \data\select.def
3) Anywhere under the line [characters] type Ryu_MvC
4) Save and close the select.def file. Now Ryu is available in the mugen game.
You can add multiple characters this way just by adding each new character beneith the previous one on a new line. Below are some addition details about adding characters to your game:
1) If the def file located in the character's folder has a different name than the folder name then you will need to type out the folder name as well as the full title of the def file. It would look like this
2) Each mugen screen pack allows for a different amount of characters to be added to each line of the select screen. This is determined by the [Select Info] section of the data\system.def file. The original mugen default is 2 rows of 5 characters each. You can install any one of various premade screen packs.
You can add additional data to each character's line to determine additional properties.
With this code a specific stage will be selected when this character is the opponent in Arcade mode.
You can determin if the stage listed is selectable in the game's stage select option or omitted
IncludeStage = (int) 1 = yes 0 = no
Includestage = 0
This allows you to create a fight order with your characters in conjunction with the [Options] section in the select.def file
Order = (int) The (int) is a value between 1 and 10 and the character will be made the opponent based on the permaters of the [Options] Section of the select.def file.
Order = 3
This is an example of how the text might look with multiple characters in the select.def file
Ryu_MvC,stages/Ryu_stage.def,includestage=1,order=3 Ken_MvC,stages/Ken.def,includestage=1,order=4 ChunLi,stages/China.def,includestage=2,order=5 Sagat,stages/Tailand.def,includestage=0,order=7 Bison,stages/Tailand2.def,includestage=0,order=9
Adding characters in a zip archive
Characters contained in a zip archive can be used within the mugen game. This is often desirable in order to save space on the user's computer.
1) Download [zlib.dll] and move to file into the \plugins folder.
2) Open the data\mugen.cfg file and search for the "Winamp-compatible plugins" section.
3) Add the following line of code to the plugins section.
plugin = plugins/zlib.dll, zip
4) Save and close mugen.cfg
Now all zip archives located in the \chars folder will function in mugen game play. It is important to note that the the zip archive should contain no subfolder and the def file should have the same name as the archive, otherwise the game will not be able to locate and load the character.