collapse

Author Topic: Dynasty Warriors-styled Lu Bu WIP  (Read 3012 times)

Offline JudgeSpear

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 12, 2008, 10:21:06 PM
  • Homer for MUGEN: Once a joke, now a legend.
Dynasty Warriors-styled Lu Bu WIP
« on: October 28, 2007, 05:13:22 AM »
Some people have given me to idea to make Lu Bu for MUGEN. Here is his WIP video (about 30% complete):

[youtube=425,350]s0DbpjNSnX4[/youtube]

I am planning to completely overhaul this Ryofu and turn him into a good version of Lu Bu for MUGEN.

I've decided to give him Dynasty Warriors-based gameplay mechanics. The super bar will act as a Musou gauge and he will be a three button character: attack button, charge attack button, and Musou button. He will still have some standard fighting game mechanics like hold back to block and up to jump, as well as grapples.

His combo system will closely mimic Dynasty Warriors. He will have SST and SSST combos, for example. His ST can juggle opponents in the air, but to prevent him from becoming too broken, I will place a limit on juggle points.

The Musou system will be different. Instead of requiring a full super bar (Musou guage) to do any Musou attacks, I will make Lu Bu able to do standard Musou attacks using one bar of super energy. His True Musou can be used anytime he has a full bar. This will present a new strategy of using standard Musous or stockpiling for the True Musou. Lu Bu can also combo into any Musou attack.

His voicepack will consist of Lu Bu's English voice from Dynasty Warriors 5.

Overall, Lu Bu for MUGEN will be very different from 99% of the other MUGEN characters out there. He will be very specialized (like Predator Warrior by HSR). He will be easy to learn, because he will be a three button character. Lu Bu will also be my first high-tier boss-type character.

Progress: Approx. 30% complete
What is done:
*Complete soundpack change: Lu Bu's English DW5 voice, DW5 sound effects ripped directly from the game disc.
*Rudimentary and unprecendented Dynasty Warriors-style game mechanics.
*Basic 6-hit combo attack
*Charge 1, Charge 2, Charge 3, Jump Charge attacks complete and implemented.
*Sliding kick and Jump attack.

What needs to be done:
*Rest of Charge attacks.
*Evolution attacks.
*Musou Attacks.
*Parries and counters, if necessary.

Here is the proposed movelist for Lu Bu. As you can see, it is very simple (no joystick motions).

Input:
x = Attack
y = Charge Attack: This is a powerful move, pretty much the Dynasty Warriors equivalent of a Special Move
z = Musou attack: The Dynasty Warriors equivalent of a Hyper Attack. In MUGEN, Musou attacks consume bars of energy like standard fighting game Super moves.
The a, b, and c buttons will be unused.

Taunts: Press the Start button to taunt, as usual. Lu Bu has four different taunts:
Neutral Start: "Can anybody provide me with a decent challenge?!"
Forward+Start: Lu Bu takes a big swig of wine, and says, "Worthless scum!" (Records of the Three Kingdoms state that Lu Bu became a heavy drinker shortly before his capture by his own officers and execution).
Down+Start: Lu Bu simply scoffs.
Back+Start: Lu Bu taunts with, "Come and get it!"

Crouch attack: x while crouched. Lu Bu performs a sliding kick. Does not combo into anything, but it is useful against block-whore opponents.

Aerial moves:
Aerial attack (x): Lu Bu slashes with his halberd.
Aerial charge (y): Lu Bu slams the ground, knocking any opponent nearby off his/her feet. Has a significant start-up delay.

Special Moves:
Rapid Jab (press x rapidly): Lu Bu will jab his halberd at lightning speed, hitting his opponent multiple times.

Chained Attacks: Press the Attack button the number of times (up to six) and Lu Bu will attack that number of times.

Evolution Attacks: Can only be performed if Lu Bu has a full Super Bar. Evolution attacks give Lu Bu up to nine consecutive attacks. Press the Attack button the desired number of times (seven to nine times) to have Lu Bu attack that many times.

Charge Attacks: These combos end with pressing the Charge button (y).
Power Stomp (y): Lu Bu will stomp the ground, knocking his nearby opponent off his feet. This move will have a significant start-up delay.
Air Juggle (x, y): Attacks once, then launches the opponent into the air. Lu Bu can then follow-through with any Combo Attack on the aerial opponent.
Merry-Go-Round (x, x, y):  Lu Bu attacks twice, then does a series of overhead swings of his halberd. He finishes off with a power stomp thats sends opponents flying. Lu Bu will normally swing his halberd three times. Pressing the 'y' button additional times will give Lu Bu additional swings before the final slam.
Swift Rush (x, x, x, y): Three attacks, then lunges forward. Sends opponents flying.
Death Strike (x, x, x, x, y): Four attacks, then Lu Bu rears his halberd, then slams the ground forcefully, dealing significant damage to the opponent. This move will be almost worthless against grounded opponents as they recover before the final strike. It is best to use this combo after performing an Air Juggle.
Master Salvo (x, x, x, x, x, y): Five attacks, then a series of six rapid slashes, finishing off with a shattering power slam. This is Lu Bu's most powerful combo and it requires 1/2 bar of super energy to perform.

Musou Attacks: All Musou attacks can be performed by pressing the Musou button (z). Lu Bu can cancel any attack into a Musou Attack.
Standard Musou Attack (requires one bar of super energy): Extremely rapid swings of his halberd, then finishes off with a power slam.
True Musou Attack (requires a full super bar): Starts up like his Standard Musou attack, but the second-to-last hit knocks the opponent into the air. Lu Bu then does a massive strike that deals heavy damage and sends the opponent flying.

Team Raiden Fighters: Fear the Spear!

My MUGEN project: MvC Meowth (0.5%)

Offline Sync The Tempest

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:November 23, 2008, 01:26:00 PM
  • Got Snow?
    • Email
Re: Dynasty Warriors-styled Lu Bu WIP
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 05:20:04 AM »
Nice! a non Projectile Melee character! this is gonna go into my mugen even my team! good luck on the wip

Offline 2dgameplay

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:December 14, 2009, 01:42:35 PM
  • mugen creater n training
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 07:39:39 AM »
yea i lov ur chars wow
               :lies:

jk

Offline nick09

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 21, 2011, 10:16:38 PM
    • Nick09's creations
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
pretty nice JS!

can't wait for this one!

Offline Russian Gestapo

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 22, 2018, 09:17:16 AM
  • I am teh Eggman.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 08:30:36 AM »
I was so glad when Shimon gave consent. :)

I think I'm going to have some great fun when this is released. One question, since I know most of your characters have an extensive range of palettes for all seasons, can we expect some DW nostalgia with this Lu Bu? ;)

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 10:54:33 AM »
If he looks this good at 30%

Then he is going to be EPIC when finished.
I do expect everyone and their mothers to make vids using him when he's relesed.

I can hardly wate  :thumbsup:

Offline PrimalRagerules

• Initiate
  • Last Login:February 25, 2008, 03:40:15 PM
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 11:17:38 AM »
HOLY - DW is one of my favorite games! Lu Bu pwned, and this one looks amazing so far! a couple suggestions, if you're good at editng sprites, maybe you should edit it a little bit, to  make him resemble lu bu a tad more, or at least make the halberd look like his sky scorcher. and, his theme should come packed with the character! Lu Bu + MUGEN + his theme = EPIC WIN. thats all i can think of, he seems amazing to me so far.

Offline Russian Gestapo

• Initiate
  • I am teh Eggman.
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »
HOLY - DW is one of my favorite games! Lu Bu pwned, and this one looks amazing so far! a couple suggestions, if you're good at editng sprites, maybe you should edit it a little bit, to  make him resemble lu bu a tad more, or at least make the halberd look like his sky scorcher. and, his theme should come packed with the character! Lu Bu + MUGEN + his theme = EPIC WIN. thats all i can think of, he seems amazing to me so far.

I'll step in for Judgespear on this.

He's editing Shimon's Ryofu character (from World Heroes Perfect), so none of the sprites have been altered. I think he said on another forum that if he did edit the sprites, he'd have to adjust 300+ sprites just to make it look slightly more like Lu Bu. That's a job that even I wouldn't want, and I like editing sprites. ;) At the most we can hope that JS will bundle a load of palettes with the character that represent his past DW colour schemes (black and purple is one of my favourites, ahem).

I agree with the theme coming with him though, despite the fact that I already have it (PM me if you want to know where you can find it).

Offline ~Wolfpaul~

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 06, 2012, 05:57:31 PM
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 12:57:32 PM »
Good luck on this one! im looking forward to this

Userbar By The Dude Z

Offline JudgeSpear

• Initiate
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »

I'll step in for Judgespear on this.

He's editing Shimon's Ryofu character (from World Heroes Perfect), so none of the sprites have been altered. I think he said on another forum that if he did edit the sprites, he'd have to adjust 300+ sprites just to make it look slightly more like Lu Bu. That's a job that even I wouldn't want, and I like editing sprites. ;) At the most we can hope that JS will bundle a load of palettes with the character that represent his past DW colour schemes (black and purple is one of my favourites, ahem).

I agree with the theme coming with him though, despite the fact that I already have it (PM me if you want to know where you can find it).

I'll try my best with the palettes. Unfortunately, World Heroes Perfect sprites have very few colors in their palettes. In the case of Ryofu, his halberd shares the same colors as his small white cape and his skin shares the same color as the edges of the plates in his armor. Even a recoloring job will take a long time, since I have to edit all 300+ sprites. Who knows? Perhaps after the initial release, I'll do what the people of DC vs. Marvel did and work the sprites to look like DW Lu Bu.

I am thinking about packaging Lu Bu with his theme song, but which one? There are so many remixes of the theme now, like the Terrible Mix, the DW S2H Mix, the Big Fat Mix, the Ultimate Mix, and the Warriors Orochi Mix.

Offline Russian Gestapo

• Initiate
  • I am teh Eggman.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 03:36:04 PM »
I'll try my best with the palettes. Unfortunately, World Heroes Perfect sprites have very few colors in their palettes. In the case of Ryofu, his halberd shares the same colors as his small white cape and his skin shares the same color as the edges of the plates in his armor. Even a recoloring job will take a long time, since I have to edit all 300+ sprites. Who knows? Perhaps after the initial release, I'll do what the people of DC vs. Marvel did and work the sprites to look like DW Lu Bu.

I am thinking about packaging Lu Bu with his theme song, but which one? There are so many remixes of the theme now, like the Terrible Mix, the DW S2H Mix, the Big Fat Mix, the Ultimate Mix, and the Warriors Orochi Mix.

I could see how the palettes could be a problem then. Fair enough. XD

I prefer the Terrible mix myself, but I'd be content with any of the others (except for the S2H mix, since it features a distinct lack of screaming guitar ;) ).

The Ultimate mix on your WIP vid is cool though, seems to be a more upbeat version of the Terrible Mix.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 08:19:24 PM by Russian Gestapo »

Offline JudgeSpear

• Initiate
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »
Okay, consider the Terrible Mix packaged with Lu Bu when he's released.

Here are some ideas that I have come up with:

*Charge 1 and Jump Charge will be unblockable, since both moves have a huge startup lag. Considering that Lu Bu has nothing else other than the basic lead-in hit, slide kick, and jump attack, making the C1 and Jump Charge unblockable is a fair tradeoff and a good reward considering the risks.
*Different palettes for Lu Bu utilizing his DW5 and DW4 colors.
*Musou Rage Special Move. Lu Bu would go into Musou Rage, immediately filling his super bar (Musou gauge) to maximum and allowing him to use his True Musou attack. The Musou Rage would be a complex joystick motion (like QCF, HCB + x) and it would have a huge startup lag before the move executes.

Offline inspecterclouseau

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:October 18, 2009, 04:07:28 PM
  • I hope she made Lotsa spaghetti
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »
I wonder whats gonna happen to MvC Meowth. Nice WIP by the way.

Userbar 2 by L.G. userbar 1 by The dude Z avy by r15

Offline Saber Alter

• Best Saber
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 12:00:35 PM
  • Best Girl
    • LordKurow
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 04:17:21 AM »
I just KNOW Baddogai/Rukia will come here

Offline JudgeSpear

• Initiate
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 03:20:42 PM »

He already did in the same WIP announcement I made over at the Infantry. He went absolutely bonkers.

Offline Saber Alter

• Best Saber
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:April 07, 2024, 12:00:35 PM
  • Best Girl
    • LordKurow
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2007, 10:41:33 PM »

He already did in the same WIP announcement I made over at the Infantry. He went absolutely bonkers.
Yep, just like him to do so

Offline KingMoogen

• Last Login:September 20, 2009, 09:19:31 PM
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2007, 06:11:37 PM »
VERY Faithful to the original DW... Minus the age old Sprites ... :p

Good luck on this sexy project.  :)

Offline 1nonly

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:June 26, 2009, 11:13:19 PM
  • For Pete ' Sake
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »
im really interested in this project this is one best project so far

now only if cao pi and zuo ci were made 4 mugen  :(
i need an new sig :/

Offline AceWonder20

• The Ace of all Trades
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 09, 2013, 11:03:16 AM
    • http://youtube.com/AceWonder20
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 09:40:12 AM »
He's not gonna have arrows is he?  And will he have that throw were he picks u up with his halberd and slashes u in mid air(DW4 reference)?

Oh and good luck with him man.   :thumbsup:
Siggy by shinrahunter

Check out my MUGEN vids here - YouTube - AceWonder20's Channel
PSN: AceWonder20

Offline CBA Super now with Action-Kung-Fu moves!

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 09, 2008, 03:23:27 PM
  • So you say you are hard? O rly?
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 06:10:08 AM »
Heh, he looks really nice so far.  =D>

Offline Xenomic

• T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:May 29, 2022, 01:16:29 AM
    • Skype - Shinxenomic@hotmail.com
    • Xenomic's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 04:41:28 AM »
Ooooh.....this looks interesting! Looking forward to this one! Hoping that you're still working on this!

Also, though this should be common from me by now, you gonna give him a Midnight Bliss???? If so, then I have the perfect reference pic to use for him!

And concerning Lu-Bu, which style are you going to base him off of (meaning, which DW game??)?

Offline greatmuta2

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 19, 2017, 08:07:22 PM
    • greatmuta2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 06:28:25 AM »
im very sorry to necro bump but i really really need to know if this was ever realeased i saw this and almost peed myself(not really but you get my point) so if he is can you please tell me where to find him
EDIT:i dont mean the sango fighter lu bu
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:34:49 AM by greatmuta »

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 [28] 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal