collapse

Author Topic: Annoying Error Message For Stage Called [Classic]  (Read 4992 times)

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Born Again Man Of Faith
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:January 22, 2022, 07:00:18 PM
  • Repent To Yahusha(Jesus), For He Is Your Savior
Annoying Error Message For Stage Called [Classic]
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:00:08 AM »
And message says as follows:

Error Message:
BG error reading stages/Classic.def

Library error message: error reading sprite Classic.sff

What can i do to fix this?

Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline DarkValentine

• The Fanfic artist of M.U.G.E.N
  • Stage Creator
  • Last Login:September 06, 2020, 06:47:50 PM
  • The FanFic Artist of M.U.G.E.N
    • DV's Works
    • Email
Re: Annoying Error Message For Stage Called [Classic]
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:08:35 AM »
Sounds like you have an issue with indexing the group & order values in your sff or def file. Make sure that you are not having a conflict with either a group or order value, being the same in a different part of the sff or def file.

Another thing to check for, is making sure that you have the bg layer groups set up right in the def. The first thing I mentioned is often the case 90% of the time, though not uncommon to happen. I've had it happen a few times myself.

Anytime it complains about "Library Error message", it typically means what I'm talking about. Something isn't put up right.

Can you post your DEF file info, so I can see what's wrong?
"Today, your inevitable teaching. Tomorrow, your unavoidable Schooling - DarkValentine1984"

DV's Works

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 08:03:56 AM »
Since it wouldn't allow me to post the whole .Def file in this post i just gave you the info of who made the stage

[Info]
name = "The Place Where We First Met"
author = "Margatroid(RC)"
Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline DarkValentine

• Stage Creator
    • DV's Works
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:40:19 AM »
my apologies, I meant to say post the bottom half of the def file, where the BG layers are listed and located. I ran across one of the stages I had on hand, and I ended up fixing it, by looking at both .sff & .def file, making sure whatever image that was used, have both the same group &  image order values correct.

Easiest way to find this, is open up Fighter Factory, and load the .def file of that stage into it. I'll give you an example of what you're trying to look for, in solving your error:

This is just an example. But, you might want to make sure that whatever your "Group" and "Image" order values, as well as what type of BG layer type it is (normal, or animation based), has the correct values.

Here is another example, of what you need to look for, if you are having troubles with a stage you find:

This error also comes up, if there is a layer of some kind in the stage, that was intentionally supposed to be animated. But, all of the coding is either not there, or not put in properly. I marked it off in the image still, what to look for. Either way, one value wrong, could end up with a broken/non-working stage. And endlessly produce that error.

It is also not rare, but not uncommon for the .def & .sff filenames to be improperly named as well. By this, i mean to look into the .def file, and make sure that it matches the .sff file it is looking for. Mugen is quite picky about filenames. And the slightest change, without updating, makes it too give off this exact same error. Not rare, but not uncommon either.
"Today, your inevitable teaching. Tomorrow, your unavoidable Schooling - DarkValentine1984"

DV's Works

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 04:25:34 PM »
Well i opened the stage up in fighter factory and this is what i found

Code: [Select]
[BG 123 ]
type = normal
spriteno = 2, 0
start = -500,100
delta = .25, 2
tile = 0
tilespacing = 0
trans = sub

[BG 123 ]
type = normal
spriteno = 1, 0
start = -500,100
delta = .25, 2
tile = 0
tilespacing = 0
trans = add

Is it suppose to be spaced out like that or no?  cause most of the .sff is spaced out like that[/color]
Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline DarkValentine

• Stage Creator
    • DV's Works
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:41 PM »
Well i opened the stage up in fighter factory and this is what i found

[BG 123 ]
type = normal
spriteno = 2, 0
start = -500,100
delta = .25, 2
tile = 0
tilespacing = 0
trans = sub

[BG 123 ]
type = normal
spriteno = 1, 0
start = -500,100
delta = .25, 2
tile = 0
tilespacing = 0
trans = add

Is it suppose to be spaced out like that or no?  cause most of the .sff is spaced out like that[/color]

Yes, you can space it like that, and it will have no ill effects on how the stage works. As long as the stage values in the BG Layers area of the .def match what is in the .sff. the name of the line for said layer doesn't matter, it's the numbers and other values that matter. As well as the name of the .def & .sff file itself being the same. Also, the directory of the stage's .sff file, is set in the .def.

I tried locating the stage in question, based on who you listed here, so I can see it for myself as to the error in question. But was unable to find the site. I will try to look again, and see about helping you further.

DV's Works

Offline Cyanide

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 29, 2019, 06:52:34 AM
    • Mugen Obscurity
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 01:53:29 AM »
129mb, yeesh.

What version of Mugen are you using. What version of Fighter Factory are you using. I am of the impression that this is an HD stage that will only run correctly in 1.0, but you're using FF3 to open it so are not having any issues opening the sff file. If you use FFC or FFU i imagine the sff will not open. Or if you swap to 1.0 it will work fine.

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
129mb, yeesh.

What version of Mugen are you using. What version of Fighter Factory are you using. I am of the impression that this is an HD stage that will only run correctly in 1.0, but you're using FF3 to open it so are not having any issues opening the sff file. If you use FFC or FFU i imagine the sff will not open. Or if you swap to 1.0 it will work fine.

Naw i been using 1.0 since it came out and i use FFC and i never use FFU even tho i have it but i mean don't get me wrong the stage works fine on my mugen it's just the error only shows up when i try to use the stage more then once is when the error starts to show up

And DarkValentine i got the stage from this site im sure you should be able to find it in here somewere

Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline Cyanide

• Mugen Obscurity
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »
Edit mugen.cfg
Increase this value
 ;Size of sprite decompression buffer in KB. Increasing this number may help
 ;if you experience slow performance when there are many sprites and/or large
 ;sprites shown over a short period of time.
 ;Minimum 256 for acceptable performance.
 ;If you set this too large you may also experience performance degredation.
SpriteDecompressionBufferSize = 16384

I dunno what you have it at now, do a multiplication of a number by 256. What i have there is 16mb. You may want to move up to something more than 129mb i suppose to cope with the state you have.

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 07:45:04 PM »
Edit mugen.cfg
Increase this value

I dunno what you have it at now, do a multiplication of a number by 256. What i have there is 16mb. You may want to move up to something more than 129mb i suppose to cope with the state you have.

This is were mine is at now

;Maximum number of layered sprites that can be drawn.
 ;Set to a lower number to save memory (minimum 32).
LayeredSpriteMax = 256

;Maximum number of explods allowed in total. Note that hitsparks
 ;also count as explods.
 ;Set to a lower number to save memory (minimum 8).
ExplodMax = 256

;Maximum number of system explods allowed.
 ;Set to a lower number to save memory (minimum 8).
SysExplodMax = 128

;Maximum number of helpers allowed in total.
 ;Set to a lower number to save memory (minimum 4, maximum 56).
HelperMax = 56

;Maximum number of projectiles allowed per player.
 ;Set to a lower number to save memory (minimum 5).
PlayerProjectileMax = 32

;This is 1 the first time you run MUGEN.
FirstRun = 0
Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline Cyanide

• Mugen Obscurity
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 09:12:46 PM »
So increase it. If the error occurs on the second time you play the stage then some piece of buffering or memory is running out and mugen can't load the file. Altering that setting will let mugen load more stuff. I can't guarantee this, that's a massive stage (probably for no good reason).

Offline DarkValentine

• Stage Creator
    • DV's Works
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
And DarkValentine i got the stage from this site im sure you should be able to find it in here somewere

A little minor correction is that the stage was not found listed here at IMT. Even with the use of the search button. Had it been, a link to Margatroid's site would be listed here. Sadly, I did not find such a link, but found it myself once at home. Take note that when I said I couldn't find it, I was posting to you from my droid (slow Wi-Fi at my job, too lazy to use my data plan, to find links). As I set myself to get notified of any responses made, in any thread that I take an interest in. Same if someone is in need of help. I ended up getting an email response, so I responded back, while I was at work, on my lunch break. I'm not that naive to not look for anything, my friend ;)

Getting back to your problem, it is definitely a buffer issue. Pretty much spot on to what Cyanide said here. The number you have for the decompression buffer is 16384kb. That equals out to 16mb. You want to go for something higher, but not too high where performance becomes an issue. In this instance, you want to go higher than 16mb. If you need help on conversion, you might want to click here, and use this chart, to figure out how much you really need to increase.

As it is quite clear, that Margatroid made this stage, for the full intention of computers who can handle it on 1.0. As an example of this, my computer can't handle this stage outright, without slowing down. And I have altered the value higher than 16mb. The highest before the stage just stopped loading completely was 131072kb, or 128mb. So you may have to fiddle around with the values. The sweet spot, is between 16mb & 128mb. So you will have to try and find it.

I can confirm however, that increasing it will do as instructed. But, that varies on the stage in general & how it was made. I hope this helps to some degree.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:36:44 PM by DarkValentine »

DV's Works

Offline I-Skorp-I

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 01:22:56 PM »
Thanks guys but all of this is makin my head hurt forreal LOL so i think ima just delete the stage intill a simpler solution can be found #:-S
Sting Of The Scorpion

Offline DarkValentine

• Stage Creator
    • DV's Works
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »
Thanks guys but all of this is makin my head hurt forreal LOL so i think ima just delete the stage intill a simpler solution can be found #:-S

I opened the stage in Fighter Factory Classic, and I see that there were a LOT of images involved. The first 350 images was for the floor by itself. Each image representing a frame for left to right movement. The other 350 was used to shadow said images. The background itself used the RGB method, and some of the top layers in grass used another 350 shots, as well as the image of the sun, using less than that. The image of the Sun panning in the distance, also has the halos and corona giving off a panning effect.

The total number of images used was 1,711 total. All of which are very high quality (and explains why I can't run the stage too much outright). I can run Mugen 1.0 just fine, but this one stage I cannot.

It is very clear that Margatroid wanted this stage, to be as expressive as possible. And by looking at it, wanting to have a fully rendered stage such as this, with full movement and animations present was possible, some people (like myself), cannot use it. For me to use this stage, I would have to do a personal edit, for my own use, just to be able to even run the stage. But, even that is not worth it.

Long story short: go ahead and stick with deleting it, until a solution to this is found. Or, Margatroid releases a lower resolution version. Which I doubt would ever happen.

EDIT: There is an addendum to this. About 5 minutes ago, I took Mugen 1.0, and that stage in particular, and ran it on my roommate's computer. Which is better than my own. I ran the values itself to about 64mb, and tried it. The stage worked smoothly without issues. And, it did not give the error you have encountered.

I started small and worked my way up the chain. 128mb was for some reason overkill on his rig, but 64 worked perfect. It's a very beautiful stage overall, and nicely done. Even with all said, I still find it rather odd, that the amount of quality going into a stage of this magnitude, would give off such random results on different rigs.

It gave you an error, slowed down on my own, but ran perfect on my roommate's rig. I'm not losing sleep over it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:07:08 PM by DarkValentine »

DV's Works

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal