collapse

Author Topic: The Trans-Pacific Partnership will make MUGEN a criminal offence  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
http://donthatethegeek.com/oh-no-geeks-trouble/
“Any reproduction, remastering, modification, alteration, reselling, and/or manipulation of an original copyrighted item will not be infringed on, or will be punishable by jail time, and/or a fine of up to a $100,000, and/or be sued by the copyright holder”.

This means that we'll all have to get licences to make fan art, or cosplay, or do anything with someone's intellectual property. Once it becomes the law of the land all our youtube videos are probably going to be hit with take down notices. Places you go to buy geeky stuff wont be able to order new products without a licence to sell from each individual company that owns that property. Only officially licensed cosplayers will be able to dress up at conventions. Websites like Deviantart could be totally shutdown or see a majority of its artwork and users removed. Even if we are not making money on an intellectual property we could still see fines and lawsuits; I could end up being sued by both Marvel and Nintendo just for being Spidermew.
This thing is going to be a huge shitstorm that's going to royally screw over a lot of people.   

Here's some more info.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/business/trans-pacific-partnership-trade-deal-is-reached.html?referer

http://donthatethegeek.com/oh-no-geeks-trouble/

Offline Laforga

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:July 09, 2023, 06:59:16 AM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
Re: The Trans-Pacific Partnership will make MUGEN a criminal offence
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 02:54:22 PM »
This is really bad news....
"I could end up being sued by both Marvel and Nintendo just for being Spidermew." - Nice, I saw what you did there!
" Even if we are not making money on an intellectual property we could still see fines and lawsuits" . This part seems very fishy, isn´t  this in any way against other laws and judicial matters?
I saw some comments and some people seemed very assured that this will not come to pass, or at least not as described.
As stated in the text, Japan for ex: doesn´t prohibit it, and this doesn´t mean that all companies in America will.
Also there are major players that would not benefit from this like Youtube and many others, and with the huge amount of money involved the subject may become more transversal.
I ´ve just read the info on the site so I really dont know anymore but in my opinion
if this really is to happen there are lots of concessions goind to be made, it would be a very sudden and abrupt change specially for the internet.

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:10:39 PM »
This has been already happening with those bootleg movie sites and now warehouses and torrents sites. They been shuttin them down left and right, plus i seen a video where they even talked about sites like deviant art could be under fire at some point. There is always this as said " grey area " when it comes to fan art.  Legally companies can but also there is laws to protect some certain types of fan art. Ripping from games is illegal. Period.  You the consumer own the copy of the game ( ownership still being vaguely spoken ) for your enjoyment of playing the game, not taking the content inside of it, that you do not or ever will own, that belongs to the copyright holders. Not you.

So yeah i can see and kinda already got the inkling it was just a matter of time before this would become a thing. When it came to games that is. Now artwork and cosplay....thats def a real grey area and will impact a lot of companies,  consumers and  fans in various way if this WAS to become a law in the States or a united front by everywhere. Japan is another beast to deal with on its own so if they came into play and went for the kill it would be a utterly serious issue as cosplay there is pretty much part of life to many, and i mean many. Here in states we do it mainly at functions held, over there...anytime of the day and anywhere on the streets or wherever.

I see it that i figure companies loose money when you got bootleggers selling non licensed merchandise,  hell even when its free they lose money. Yes they may also gain fans but not every fan buys when they can get it for free. So this can and will impact so many ways but the chances of it becoming a solid law across the board....who knows. Its already happening so go figure.

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 15, 2024, 10:19:36 PM
  • "Create the Un-Creatable"
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »
Total BullSh!t
piracy will never be stopped, fan art will never be stopped, and coz play will never be stopped, in fact any type of plagiarism will never be stopped
making thing legal or illicit don't mean poop
there is common sense, in kids who want to draw their favorite superheros, or wear a costume at a kids party or Halloween
and then there's dumb fks that rip off others hard work and try to grab coin for it
mugen has problems, yes, coz the latter can be made illegal profits from
but deviant art and cozplay won't be a target,
how can they fine you for drawing superman? Or throw you in juve for wearing a spidey costume
the money men can go & get FKD!
everyone thinks they can own art

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »
Total BullSh!t
piracy will never be stopped, fan art will never be stopped, and coz play will never be stopped, in fact any type of plagiarism will never be stopped
making thing legal or illicit don't mean poop
there is common sense, in kids who want to draw their favorite superheros, or wear a costume at a kids party or Halloween
and then there's dumb fks that rip off others hard work and try to grab coin for it
mugen has problems, yes, coz the latter can be made illegal profits from
but deviant art and cozplay won't be a target,
how can they fine you for drawing superman? Or throw you in juve for wearing a spidey costume
the money men can go & get FKD!
everyone thinks they can own art
:D very true bro , but you know they done already took measures in slowing down piracy on the net. I been watchin them do it...slowly but gradually if its on the net so far. Hell they done raided quite a few shops in our downtown area for selling knockoffs shoes and clothes, they done shut down stores selling disney merchandise that dont have a license. Those types and mugen.....yeah they can put they foot down on in ways but piracy is a huge business and they will just slowly dig in till they find a way to protect copyrights of sorts. Itz not gonna be today or tomorrow....but who knows in the future.

As for deviant art ....i doubt they will seriously touch that. Hallowen.....nahhh they aint touchin that either seriously. Everybody makes money from it somehow. Candy, costumes, buyin materials , it all goes in some sorta circle of distribution and commerce for halloween. And hellz nawww they aint gonna stop a kid in they house from drawing  pokemon.....but if you post it on the net and they can get at you....who knows. Art has rights , yep, but so do those who own the property of it being made. Its a huge grey area.....a super wall.

The law has a huge fight on their hands and its a huge undertaking to try and stop it all let alone pay for trying to do so.

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 15, 2024, 10:19:36 PM
  • "Create the Un-Creatable"
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:15:54 PM »
Money men can still suck it

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 12:36:43 AM »
Well here's a chance we can stick it to them and let them know we don't want this.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/stop-the-trans-pacific.fb49?source=s.fb&r_by=14013777

Offline eg6gsr

• Contributor
  • Last Login:February 26, 2024, 03:24:12 AM
  • my first love
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »
Well here's a chance we can stick it to them and let them know we don't want this.

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/stop-the-trans-pacific.fb49?source=s.fb&r_by=14013777

Definitly signing. I wonder how something like this would affect games like Forza(love the series) where you can replicate cars by painting them up and it will earn you in game money from other players that buy it?

my new one

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:26:23 PM »
Definitly signing. I wonder how something like this would affect games like Forza(love the series) where you can replicate cars by painting them up and it will earn you in game money from other players that buy it?
As far as i know of selling stock owned ingame vehicles for ingame money, not too certain yet. A good friend of mines plays race games a lot and on pc servers he was banned for doin somethin like that. But it was part of some server rules who hosted the spot. As he told me, some games hosts dont like modded stuff and want the purity of the game intact or they will get shut down. But that still depends i think. Its in game money so i dunno. I would buy the car if it looked sweet....and then sell it at a slightly higher price on another server hosted game.  :D i am a hobo and its part of our rules.

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »

Unless the publisher had the licences for all those cars, you wouldn't be able to do it without maybe getting banned.
It would also stop all modding of games unless the game maker had some sort of open modding licence for everyone who buys the game.

Offline sky79

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 19, 2022, 11:31:05 AM
  • Real players and makers share.
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 03:32:53 PM »
See? stuff like this is what I was afraid of!

Those jackals who openly charge money to make mugen characters are partly responsible for this, THIS is why you never EVER charge anyone or take money for a mugen work. There are people out there who look for things like mugen just for a quick sue-spree cash in, and guys like them are giving them all the ammo they need.

Big thanks to the morons who believed in hope and change even after the first 4 years of it all getting worse.

Edit: You think a webpage with a bunch of names will change anything? A silly hashtag will make them back off? standing outside a building with a cardboard sign on a stick will stop this?Go right ahead, get tasered and hulled away like a fool. We're talking about corrupt, soulless corporate cronies, they don't give a damn what we think, they want money.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:50:09 PM by sky79 »
Keep Mugen Free

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 07:54:51 PM »
See? stuff like this is what I was afraid of!

Those jackals who openly charge money to make mugen characters are partly responsible for this, THIS is why you never EVER charge anyone or take money for a mugen work. There are people out there who look for things like mugen just for a quick sue-spree cash in, and guys like them are giving them all the ammo they need.

This! Even tho its only a handful or less maybe of who has and those who try it, its get noticed. Trust me it does. Folks from other sites not mugen related know all about it and some looks down upon mugen the community... not the engine but it gives the engine kinda a bad rap of sorts. If you were a developer/publisher and worked hard to make a game to make money..... they would be pissed too that someone jacks thekr hardwork wether creating all that just to get hijacked and then resold. Lucky for me i been reading copyright laws since i been going into the developer field.  Its some nasty stuff man but i can be honest and understand  from that view cause ....its theirs.hell bro companies sue other companies over it so ya know who else wold be on the list.

I dont what a net petition gonna do to stop somethin being pushed by companies and law makers really, people tried that with the whole Naruto endi g thing and that crap they filed for got no where fast. It was ridiculous petition anyway. This has more , much more substance and depends on which side your viewing as and taking into real world ethics of the economy of all listed.

Offline supa2520

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 11, 2024, 09:54:19 AM
  • Sprite Artist Reborn
    • supa2520
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »

i already sign it and share this to facebook so better start sharing to show them we mean business

Offline eg6gsr

• Contributor
  • Last Login:February 26, 2024, 03:24:12 AM
  • my first love
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »
Unless the publisher had the licences for all those cars, you wouldn't be able to do it without maybe getting banned.
It would also stop all modding of games unless the game maker had some sort of open modding licence for everyone who buys the game.

Wow that really sucks. There is no way they could license all the cars we could possibly and I doubt they have the open modding license see as they have never needed it. That's hurtful because some of the better painters in the game have been recognized by companies and actually made designs for real life cars.

my new one

Offline sky79

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 19, 2022, 11:31:05 AM
  • Real players and makers share.
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 09:38:08 PM »
i already sign it and share this to facebook so better start sharing to show them we mean business

Mean business? seriously? What are you going to do? Bomb them? Assault them? Yell at them in anger from across the street? Type really hard on your keyboard?

Dude, Moveon.org is a democratic representative website, the president of both the website AND the US President are democrats; I remember during the election MoveOn.org was all about him and still is, its click-bait man.

All that thing really is? A list of names for them to look into. On your facebook too? Great, now they know what you look like, real smooth.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:50:46 PM by sky79 »
Keep Mugen Free

Offline MegamanEXE

• Last Login:March 19, 2016, 01:50:42 PM
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 07:48:56 PM »
Is this SOPA coming back in a different bill? If so, when will they ever learn their mistakes?

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal