collapse

Author Topic: Should Sega Sell The Sonic Franchise to Nintendo?  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Kid Chyllen™♪

• The Young Lion
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 07, 2012, 07:13:43 AM
  • Smash Bros. 4 Coming to you in 2013 !
    • Email
Re: Should Sega Sell The Sonic Franchise to Nintendo?
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
^^(PM)^

Hey good Idea they should Merge.Then we won't worry about Sega selling Sonic to Nintendo.I just have a bad feeling Sega may just give Sonic to Nintendo if they can't get back up with Sonic  @^@

Yea,  :thumbsup:

Offline Animeboy

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:December 28, 2012, 01:40:01 AM
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2008, 11:38:44 PM »
Actually I'm happy that Sega is with Nintendo.I think Nintendo should at least buy Sega out for them to only work for Nintendo and no other company.At least that's just me and Sonic will be safe. 

Offline Doctor Crow

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 30, 2009, 06:20:02 PM
  • Sony for life.
    • My DeviantART page
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
Actually I'm happy that Sega is with Nintendo.I think Nintendo should at least buy Sega out for them to only work for Nintendo and no other company.At least that's just me and Sonic will be safe. 

I rispectfully disagree.  I've never been Nintendo's biggest fan to begin with, and I feel like the "For-all-ages" aesthetic that Nintendo has built itself on, while it works for their own stuff, has rubbed off on Sonic in a very bad way.  I think Sega should have gone to Sony and developed for them as a second-party.  At the very least, it would have allowed Sega to preserve the aesthetics and principals that made the old Sonic games so good.
http://www.infinitymugenteam.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Doctor_Crow
The Super Smash Bros games are NOT fighting games, they're party games dressed up like fighting games.  Nintendo needs to stay away from fighters.

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:May 17, 2011, 11:58:08 AM
    • CVG United
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 12:34:29 AM »
You don't think Sonic is "For all ages" ?

Offline Doctor Crow

• Initiate
  • Sony for life.
    • My DeviantART page
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 12:52:54 AM »
You don't think Sonic is "For all ages" ?

Have you played the old Sonic games?  Those things were hard and unforgiving.  I remember being so frustrated with them.  But that's just one example.  Compare, for example, Sonic Adventure, to, say, Sonic Heroes.  On the surface, they appear to be similar games, but by the time Heroes was released, Nintendo's influence over the series was pretty obvious.
The Super Smash Bros games are NOT fighting games, they're party games dressed up like fighting games.  Nintendo needs to stay away from fighters.

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
    • CVG United
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2008, 02:08:31 AM »
Im not talking about difficulty...just art style...Sonic is pretty kid friendly...just as much as Mario ever was...and I went back a few years ago and played all those games I thought were really hard when I was a kid...not so hard now lol...but videogames are WAY more forgiving now than they used to be...I still remember losing money playing them...quarters LOL

Offline Doctor Crow

• Initiate
  • Sony for life.
    • My DeviantART page
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2008, 02:31:46 AM »
It might just be the hardcore gamer aspect of me that's talking, but I remember Sonic being different.  I liked him because he had some semblance of an attitude, whereas you have people like Mario and Link who are "..."/"It's-a ME!" and "..."/"HYAAAAAH!" all the time, respectively.  Yes, i'm aware they have their own attitudes and convey them through their actions, but that's what made sonic different from them.  He was a trash-talker, and was always extremely arrogant, which made him hilarious.  I'm not saying Nintendo games aren't enjoyable, i'm saying that more and more Sonic is being molded into the classic cast of a Nintendo character, and I don't like it.

Offline SPOOKY77

• CVGUnited.com Admin
  • Contributor
    • CVG United
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2008, 02:39:35 AM »
Maybe you are right...I do think Sonic is being molded, but more into a rival of Mario's than say, a Princess Zelda type personality I hope LOL

Offline Spidercide

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:January 23, 2023, 06:47:15 PM
    • AWESOME HARE
    • https://squareup.com/store/random-select-comics
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2008, 03:53:03 AM »
Read this LOUD and CLEAR. Sega goes to no company, Sega becomes 2nd to no one. Not Sony, nor Nintendo, not even Microsoft. 2nd party would grant the 1st party hardware makers most if not total control over the games that appear on their system.

I do not trust Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft instead of things getting better (please note according to the wiki they are already successful) I do believe they will get worse. If Nintendo gets them they will make sucky shovel-ware horse crap like they've been doing with Sonic and Mario Olympics. No thanks!

If Sony gets them then the games will be limited to PS3/PSP and alot of people (myself included) do not want or have a media need for those two PS platforms. Considering I don't have nor want either of the two I'd definitely loath the idea of Sega becoming 2nd party to Sony and their next-gen trailing behind systems. Now as far as the PS2 goes, the real games are finished. All we get now are collections, imports, and games from other platforms, and all around...flops. it's pretty much dead. I'm ready to move on anyway so I won't count that console.

Now onto Microsoft, if they'd become 2nd party to them then I'm 100 percent sure Sega would be left to rot as did Rare. When was the last time we saw Killer Instinct? Exactly. It is my speculation that MS is holding back creative genius. We are lucky to even see Banjo & Kazooie make it to XBLA. Bottom line is Sega becoming a permanent slave to their former console rivals will not benefit them. If anything it would only HURT them in the long run, especially if they're doing well right now.

Some people fear that Sega can actually make it on their own so they wish for the multi-plats to stop them before they start thinking for themselves and something positive comes of it. I say Sega grows on their own and keeps growing to become a more profitable business, ALONE.

No mergers necessary, no 2nd party baloney, Sega used to be bigger than names such as Capcom and Konami back when they were making hardware. Well I say if you want them to rise to that status again then let's not restrict them to another console maker.

I say either keep them 3rd party or otherwise do what the fans want and make Sonic 2D again (here's a hint: High-Res 2D in HD), bring out a sequel to Fighters Megamix, give us Virtua Fighter 5R, keep the Condemned games coming, finish Shenmue III, deliver us a new Daytona game, whatever it takes! Then after enough money is made, perhaps maybe, just maybe, Sega will become a respected hardware maker again.

Sega does what Nintendon't! That's decline from producing massive amounts of shovel-ware.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:40:26 PM by Spidercide »
WRRRYYYYYYYYY!

Offline Dr. Fortune

• Last Login:December 03, 2008, 08:50:18 PM
  • Music for the soul.
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2008, 08:38:07 AM »
I rispectfully disagree.  I've never been Nintendo's biggest fan to begin with, and I feel like the "For-all-ages" aesthetic that Nintendo has built itself on, while it works for their own stuff, has rubbed off on Sonic in a very bad way.  I think Sega should have gone to Sony and developed for them as a second-party.  At the very least, it would have allowed Sega to preserve the aesthetics and principals that made the old Sonic games so good.

Yeah, no. Sega siding with purely Sony is as stupid as Sega being a second-party to anybody else. When Sega fell on hard times after the abyssal failure that was the Dreamcast, they really didn't have the luxury to play favorites.  Speaking of the Dreamcast, Sony was the reason it did as poorly as it did. PS2 and all. Maybe it's just little old me, but that seems like a pretty big slap to the face to develop stuff exclusively for the people who screwed me over monetarily.

I seriously don't care if Sega sides with Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony or any other bloody company. I just want the bloody Sonic games to stop blowing so. Incredibly. Hard.

Offline Doctor Crow

• Initiate
  • Sony for life.
    • My DeviantART page
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2008, 04:28:09 PM »
Yeah, no. Sega siding with purely Sony is as stupid as Sega being a second-party to anybody else. When Sega fell on hard times after the abyssal failure that was the Dreamcast, they really didn't have the luxury to play favorites.  Speaking of the Dreamcast, Sony was the reason it did as poorly as it did. PS2 and all. Maybe it's just little old me, but that seems like a pretty big slap to the face to develop stuff exclusively for the people who screwed me over monetarily.

I seriously don't care if Sega sides with Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony or any other bloody company. I just want the bloody Sonic games to stop blowing so. Incredibly. Hard.

I was just giving an example.  You can't deny that Nintendo's had an influence over the way the Sonic games are being handled nowadays.

Offline Animeboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2008, 05:25:29 PM »
Wow what was going on in here while was gone?

Anyways I don't want Sega to sell Sonic.But Sega becoming 2nd party with Nintendo will make me happier IMO.

Now as for Sonic he doesn't seem arrogant and such.He seems friendly and yeah sonic's impatient and won't listen for a second.But I don't know maybe it's because I'm not really a hardcore gamer?  :| Anyways Sonic games were hard back then heck ALL games were harder back then with 3 lives and 3 continues,passwords,starting all over again if you lose all of your continues etc.Games today no longer has that stuff.

Now as for Sega if the become 2nd party to Nintendo I'd be joyous seeing that Sega and Nintendo are two companies I always loves since I was a kid.Their the ones that got me into video gaming.I wasn't too happy with Nintendo and Sega being Rivals and I always wished they can team up because they influenced gaming.

Offline Spidercide

• Forum Member
    • AWESOME HARE
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »
No dice it was alot more fun when they were against eachother. They were two companies I loved as well but there was a certain style, a certain flavor of gaming, that each party brought to the table. (SNES appealing 1st party and 3rd party games, Genesis Arcade games.) It's what I think made them stand out.

It was alot more fun when me and my peers in middle school were saying "SONIC WOULD DESTROY MARIO!" and "NOTHING CAN STOP SUPER NINTENDO!" It was fun because I had both systems yet enjoyed them going up against eachother like this because more competition equalled more quality games on both platforms. I got the best of both worlds.

Then there were the system comparisons and all of that. They were on the same level and everytime they fight it's like a dream match come true Rock Vs. Hogan, Tyson Vs. Ali, Spider-Man Vs. Wolverine, Goku Vs. Vegeta. Kinda like that where there was a balance between the two powers.

But if Nintendo were to own Sega in second party I feel that the balance would forever break the equality between them with Nintendo having some form of owners ship towards Sega. I feel it's not nessasary and should not become a reality.

Just look at Insomniac, they make interesting games but they will never be able to put Ratchet and Clank or Resistance on any other system because Sony will not allow them to break away. This would be the case if Nintendo grabbed a hold of second party rights to Sega. They'd technically own them, they'd OWN Sonic. Even if it's not directly they would own him.

Further more I think it is unfair to only consider Nintendo based on the fact that you were a Nintendo kid like myself. I still love Nintendo but hate what they've done to the Nintendo Revolution (A.K.A. Wii). So I'm on 360 now, it would annoy me endlessly if Nintendo obtained Sega as a 2nd party and Virtua Fighter would only be on the Wii. Then I couldn't buy it for 360, same goes for Condemned and any future Sonic games.

Wouldn't you feel the same way if you saw a thread saying "Should Sega Sell The Sonic Franchise to Microsoft?" I'm sure you'd have a similar reaction. See what I mean? While it would be good for you it would not be good for many of us. I'm certain that most Sega vets would give them a negative approval rating if they let that go down.

This is why I say we leave Sega alone. Stay impartial instead of playing favorites to any 1 company. Trust me it's for the best. If Sega has to remain 3rd party then allow everyone Xbox, Playstation, and, Nintendo to play and be able to enjoy Sonic and friends.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 06:07:50 PM by Spidercide »
WRRRYYYYYYYYY!

Offline Animeboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2008, 06:16:43 PM »
Ok now I see your point of view.But just like you I owned both systems back then.But I loved Nintendo and Sega and Mario & Sonic I never joined along my friends(Whom had only either Sega or Super)the console and mascot wars between Nintendo and Sega and Sonic Vs Mario.I never liked comparing characters I like against each other really.

Offline Cyclysm

• Forum Spriter &
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:July 21, 2010, 12:00:11 AM
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »
Then I couldn't buy it for 360, same goes for Condemned

No..... Condemned is not owned by Sega

Condemned is made by Monolith productions......Sega just publishes the game

If Sega were to be owned by Nintendo.. Monolith would just find another publisher.....probably Seirra like they did with F.E.A.R

But I totally agree with you Spidercide, Sega would suck if Nintendo,Sony,or Microsoft bought them

"I am two people"      Cyclysm & Sgt.Rotter

Offline Doctor Crow

• Initiate
  • Sony for life.
    • My DeviantART page
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2008, 07:08:34 PM »
No dice it was alot more fun when they were against eachother. They were two companies I loved as well but there was a certain style, a certain flavor of gaming, that each party brought to the table. (SNES appealing 1st party and 3rd party games, Genesis Arcade games.) It's what I think made them stand out.

This is a good summary of my entire argument.

Quote from: Spidercide
This is why I say we leave Sega alone. Stay impartial instead of playing favorites to any 1 company. Trust me it's for the best. If Sega has to remain 3rd party then allow everyone Xbox, Playstation, and, Nintendo to play and be able to enjoy Sonic and friends.

Problem is, Sega isn't impartial.  More and more, they're becoming Nintendo's lapdog.  Look at how many games Sega has put out for the Wii recently as opposed to Xbox 360 or PS3.  More importantly, look at all of the games featuring -Sonic- that this applies to, since this topic is about him.  Sonic and the Secret Rings.  Mario and Sonic go the Olympics.  Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.  And, let's not forget the upcoming Sonic and the Black Knight.  4 exclusive Wii titles, and that's not counting Sega's other releases such as the new NiGHTS game.  Now let's take a look at the cross-platform Sonic games Sega has recently put out.  Sonic the Hedgehog.  Sega Superstars Tennis (Which I only count here for the sake that Sonic is in the game), and Sonic Unleashed (...just...ew...).  3 titles.  Now let's look at how many 360 and PS3-exclusive Sonic titles there are.  Oh wait, that's right, there aren't any.  :|

Offline Animeboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2008, 08:01:35 PM »
This is a good summary of my entire argument.

Problem is, Sega isn't impartial.  More and more, they're becoming Nintendo's lapdog.  Look at how many games Sega has put out for the Wii recently as opposed to Xbox 360 or PS3.  More importantly, look at all of the games featuring -Sonic- that this applies to, since this topic is about him.  Sonic and the Secret Rings.  Mario and Sonic go the Olympics.  Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.  And, let's not forget the upcoming Sonic and the Black Knight.  4 exclusive Wii titles, and that's not counting Sega's other releases such as the new NiGHTS game.  Now let's take a look at the cross-platform Sonic games Sega has recently put out.  Sonic the Hedgehog.  Sega Superstars Tennis (Which I only count here for the sake that Sonic is in the game), and Sonic Unleashed (...just...ew...).  3 titles.  Now let's look at how many 360 and PS3-exclusive Sonic titles there are.  Oh wait, that's right, there aren't any.  :|

I think the reason Sega is cooperating with Nintendo mostly is because how they know each other.Plus Sega is nintendo's first rival with the console wars back then.Anyway IMO sooner or later Nintendo will most likely buy out Sega.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:36:46 PM by Animugen »

Offline Dr. Fortune

• Music for the soul.
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »
I think the reason Sega is cooperating with Nintendo mostly is because how they know each each.Plus Sega is nintendo's first rival with the console wars back then.Anyway IMO sooner or later Nintendo will most likely buy out Sega.

Personally, I'd say Sega usually goes to them first is because Nintendo is probably gonna green light whatever they bring to the table. Sonic games probably won't appeal to the Mircosoft crowd, and I don't even know what's what with Sony.

Now let's look at how many 360 and PS3-exclusive Sonic titles there are. Oh wait, that's right, there aren't any. :|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(2006_game)

I love proving you wrong.

Offline Doctor Crow

• Initiate
  • Sony for life.
    • My DeviantART page
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2008, 08:30:24 PM »
I think the reason Sega is cooperating with Nintendo mostly is because how they know each each.

What?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(2006_game)

I love proving you wrong.

Great. Now kindly explain how that proves me wrong? That's not an exclusive title for either the Xbox 360 or the PS3, because it's for both systems. So now, because a Sonic game isn't for the Wii, it proves wrong what I said about there being no exclusive Sonic titles for Xbox 360 OR ("or", not "and") PS3? Besides, I recall specifically mentioning that game when I went through the list of cross-platform Sonic games.

Problem is, Sega isn't impartial. More and more, they're becoming Nintendo's lapdog. Look at how many games Sega has put out for the Wii recently as opposed to Xbox 360 or PS3. More importantly, look at all of the games featuring -Sonic- that this applies to, since this topic is about him. Sonic and the Secret Rings. Mario and Sonic go the Olympics. Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. And, let's not forget the upcoming Sonic and the Black Knight. 4 exclusive Wii titles, and that's not counting Sega's other releases such as the new NiGHTS game.Now let's take a look at the cross-platform Sonic games Sega has recently put out. Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega Superstars Tennis (Which I only count here for the sake that Sonic is in the game), and Sonic Unleashed (...just...ew...). 3 titles. Now let's look at how many 360 and PS3-exclusive Sonic titles there are. Oh wait, that's right, there aren't any. :|

Yeah, there it is.

Offline Dr. Fortune

• Music for the soul.
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2008, 08:35:24 PM »
Exclusive to PS3 and 360 there bucko.

Offline Animeboy

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 08:39:12 PM »
Edited previous post I meant each other not each each lol.

Offline Doctor Crow

• Initiate
  • Sony for life.
    • My DeviantART page
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 08:41:29 PM »
Exclusive to PS3 and 360 there bucko.

That isn't what exclusive means.  Exclusive means it's only for a certain system; it doesn't mean that it's NOT for a certain system.  Nintendo games, for example, typically have something off in the corners of the boxes of each of there games saying "ONLY for Nintednoblahblahblah."  That's what exclusive is.  You can't claim that because it's NOT for Wii it's exclusive to either system.  It's for BOTH systems, making it cross-platform, like I said.

Edited previous post I meant each other not each each lol.

Okay.  I was like "...lolwut?"

Offline Spidercide

• Forum Member
    • AWESOME HARE
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
M'kay, so just because a game developer makes games exclusively for any 1 platform it means the owners of the said platform will buy them? Uh-huh! If that were the case then Snake would already be owned by Sony even if he started on the Nintendo. Konami has attached the "Metal Gear Solid" name to the Playstation franchise for over a decade now and yet Sony hasn't bought Konami as a 2nd party or anything, so there's one example for you Animugen.

Just because a game comes out on one platform a whole bunch of times does not mean it's getting bought. Had that been the case Sony would have bought Konami. Unless Sonic has only been being used on a Nintendo property and nothing else (like the Master Chief has been used constantly for Microsoft, they had the deep pockets to buy the Halo series) then I would think there maybe a chance. Still I do not wish it to happen.

Besides I haven't known Nintendo for doing things like that, buying other gaming companies, launching a full scale hostile take-over it's not their style. The way you say it it's almost as if you wouldn't care if this were to be forced on Sega so long as your base gets bragging rights to owning Sonic.

Also Sega is smarter than this, limiting their character to 1 platform is a bad decision especially considering the world we are living in. They need all of the money they can get and the best way to earn a profit and break even from development cost is to go multiplatform.

Which company has the most software sales this gen? 360 Sega would be a fool to miss out on a sales oppurtunity. 360 games normally sell more than Wii games because that's where the hardcore crowd is so with that I see Sonic sales figures being comparable with the Wii, same goes for PS3 there are some hardcores in Sony camp as well.

Hell the 360 version of Sonic Unleashed got better reviewers than the Wii version, most gamers are looking at that and thinking (man I gotta have that version!) So you see it is a matter of software sales and which game shows off best.

Now we know Sega has been giving Nintendo alot of support but MS and Sony aren't exactly chopped liver. After all Sega did give them the 1 exclusive Sonic The Hedgehog game from way back. I still remember the "Sonic Boom" commercial for it. Plus Sonic appeals to 360 owners he isn't so much a niche game as he is mid-tier. More than half of my friends list bought Sonic's 1 and/or 2 from off the marketplace. Also, re-release or not the 360/PS3 nations getting this game: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/home/954264.html
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 08:56:27 PM by Spidercide »
WRRRYYYYYYYYY!

Offline Doctor Crow

• Initiate
  • Sony for life.
    • My DeviantART page
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
Now we know Sega has been giving Nintendo alot of support but MS and Sony aren't exactly chopped liver. After all Sega did give them the 1 exclusive Sonic The Hedgehog game from way back. I still remember the "Sonic Boom" commercial for it. Also, re-release or not the 360/PS3 nations getting this game: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360/home/954264.html

What the hell.  Didn't I just get done explaining why that game isn't an exclusive title?  O___o

Offline Spidercide

• Forum Member
    • AWESOME HARE
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »
What the hell.  Didn't I just get done explaining why that game isn't an exclusive title?  O___o

WTH yourself. It's not wrong to consider a game like that HD console exclusive. It's not on the Wii so I don't give a damn. I call it like I see it.
WRRRYYYYYYYYY!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar