collapse

Author Topic: Doctor Octupus  (Read 41129 times)

Offline juelz aka wolfi

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 14, 2022, 06:32:03 AM
  • still no cajones to fight me? fuhgetdaboutit
    • Email
Re: Doctor Octupus
« Reply #400 on: December 27, 2018, 03:00:22 PM »
liking this alot great stuff so far  :thumbsup:
sig by jvalent2 what happens to hulk? tell you soon
avatar shield by akeme and darktalbain

Offline verz36

• The Unlimited
  • Last Login:October 09, 2023, 12:31:46 PM
« Reply #401 on: February 02, 2019, 07:35:33 AM »
finally was able to make a new video. even that its been a while, this wip has a lot of things done but many moves are without tentacles but that will soon be no problem. my friend xboy is helping me with this wip. anyways i hope u guys like what u see in the video. i want to give major credits to my friends wucash, electro and hypervoiceacting for their help with doc.

Offline ELECTRO

• Cosmic Creations
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:May 04, 2024, 05:30:57 PM
  • The Living Dynamo
    • THE-BEY0NDER
    • THE BEY0NDER
    • ELECTRO'S LAIR
    • Email
« Reply #402 on: February 02, 2019, 08:33:40 AM »
 :O*DSprites look great so far.

Offline malevka2

• Symbiotes
  • Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 17, 2024, 04:23:30 PM
  • Symbiotes
    • Skype - malevka2
« Reply #403 on: February 02, 2019, 09:07:05 AM »
class is super Doctor Octupus  :thumbsup: :) :w00t: :O*D

Offline Blagoy

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:May 03, 2024, 05:36:06 PM
« Reply #404 on: February 02, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »
Excellent good work  :thumbsup:

Offline HornTitan

• Initiate
  • Last Login:February 11, 2019, 06:43:42 AM
  • You know it!
« Reply #405 on: February 03, 2019, 12:26:46 AM »
finally was able to make a new video. even that its been a while, this wip has a lot of things done but many moves are without tentacles but that will soon be no problem. my friend xboy is helping me with this wip. anyways i hope u guys like what u see in the video. i want to give major credits to my friends wucash, electro and hypervoiceacting for their help with doc.

The walk is still terrible. Too stiff and weird. Have you considered a different approach? Try a different position for Doc, have him more suspended and moving with all four tentacles like a tarantula, Tom Cruise style alla "Mission Impossible" or just have him use his feet if all else fails. Also you could try the choujin dbz arcade sprite method of sliding a walk across!

Maybe just tentacles or just feet or both sliding at the same time?

Also the program software particle illusion has a mode where you can insert those tentacle spherical shapes for Doc Ock's tentacles. The mode will follow your cursor and make like a snake effect where your sprites follow the direction if you are having a hard time making those tentacle arm frames. With a sprite capture program you could just rip the motion instead of building it piece by piece. It also has customizing options like opacity, distance, etc. to customize the outcome.

Though I still say stick with simplicity but that'll be your call. Good luck.

;)

Offline empawk

• Initiate
  • Last Login:May 20, 2023, 04:37:37 AM
    • Empawk's Domain
    • Email
« Reply #406 on: February 03, 2019, 02:14:24 AM »
He looks great so far! I hope I finish my Symibote Spider-Man in time to make a video of them fighting each other.

Something I don't like is the tentacles digging into the ground and appearing on the other side for attacks. Instead of that, you should sprite some rush down attacks where he punches or kicks using his own limbs after leaping forward with the tentacle legs.

I would like to see a grapple where he grabs with the top tentacle legs and then throws him or slaps him with a tentacle.

Offline bambulin

• Contributor
  • Last Login:May 04, 2024, 05:52:24 AM
    • Email
« Reply #407 on: February 03, 2019, 03:33:18 AM »
It seems incredible to be able to see a really good Octopus Doctor in mugen. As always I say first level char. ^:)^

Offline verz36

• The Unlimited
« Reply #408 on: February 03, 2019, 08:04:08 AM »
The walk is still terrible. Too stiff and weird. Have you considered a different approach? Try a different position for Doc, have him more suspended and moving with all four tentacles like a tarantula, Tom Cruise style alla "Mission Impossible" or just have him use his feet if all else fails. Also you could try the choujin dbz arcade sprite method of sliding a walk across!

Maybe just tentacles or just feet or both sliding at the same time?

Also the program software particle illusion has a mode where you can insert those tentacle spherical shapes for Doc Ock's tentacles. The mode will follow your cursor and make like a snake effect where your sprites follow the direction if you are having a hard time making those tentacle arm frames. With a sprite capture program you could just rip the motion instead of building it piece by piece. It also has customizing options like opacity, distance, etc. to customize the outcome.

Though I still say stick with simplicity but that'll be your call. Good luck.

thanks for the tips... i wont be able to make a new walk so for now that one will have to do. im still trying to make more sprites that i need for other moves. maybe when im done with all the sprites, then i can go back and give it a shot to make him walk on 4 tentacles.. i dont know how to use particle illusion, i had it before but never went anywhere with it. but maybe u can help if u know how to use this program, i can use all the help possible with this wip. if u can make the tentacle movements, i can sprite the body in the position for it..

He looks great so far! I hope I finish my Symibote Spider-Man in time to make a video of them fighting each other.

Something I don't like is the tentacles digging into the ground and appearing on the other side for attacks. Instead of that, you should sprite some rush down attacks where he punches or kicks using his own limbs after leaping forward with the tentacle legs.

I would like to see a grapple where he grabs with the top tentacle legs and then throws him or slaps him with a tentacle.

well, i like this move and still is not final, we looking to see what else we can do to improve it. i think maybe all 4 tentacles together at the same time can be cool and might look better. also this move can be made into a hyper where tentacles can hit you in a range mutiple time like interchange eachother in the attacks.. but thats still in the backburner. about the moves u want to see, i have different of those made too, i still need tentacles for those but i do have like 2 versions of this. belive me, we going to make good use of his tentacles. there is so much that can be done with doc and we are exploiting all options. he will have many cool moves for sure. u seen my other works and i like to give plenty of specials and hypers to them.  :cool

Offline .black dragon.

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:February 10, 2024, 10:52:39 PM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
« Reply #409 on: February 03, 2019, 12:24:27 PM »
wow  :o

Offline plagur

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 16, 2021, 02:50:52 PM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
« Reply #410 on: February 03, 2019, 04:18:12 PM »
that super is great
reminds me of something you would see in 90s arcade game when fighting a boss character
really gave me a warm nostalgia feeling :thumbsup:

about the walk, i cant agree that its bad, but something does seems alittle off
maybe it doesnt have enough weight to it (add screen shaking?), or lower tentacles moving alittle goofy?
it still looks good though imo, i mean somewhat goofy movements is a usual sight in capcom games anyway

cant wait to see more special/hyper moves :)

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #411 on: February 03, 2019, 08:51:27 PM »
Ooh, a new video~

I personally like the new walking pose for Ock much better, but I think the bottom two tentacles could be better positioned. Namely the one closest to the front, I feel like it could be closer to Doc, and maybe get rid of that one orb at the back so that it doesn't look too perturbing. Also maybe for that first hyper attack, make the tentacles extend further out.

Offline Arias

• Stage Creator
  • Last Login:June 18, 2023, 06:33:08 PM
« Reply #412 on: February 04, 2019, 02:13:37 AM »
When you mentioned Dr. Octopus stage to me through pm a few months ago I went and checked this.

Yeah, I wouldn't call the walk stiff or terrible, it's more like feels odd, ever seen a lizard standing up and running?, that's more or less the impression this walk gives me , it's odd because you can see a tentacle barely touching the ground and going up when the other still hasn't even touched ground, so it looks more like he's running or trotting without much sense of weight and being supported only by 2 tentacles, all while he's totally upright. By making him walk in 4 tentacles you probably will need to make them longer, maybe retractable capable of changing length (idk if they do, maybe not, based on the video).

I can't tell much about the gameplay only from that video alone but I see he still uses his own arms & legs a lot (weak-medium-strong), going some pages back I see a maximum spider-like hyper move planned too.... from my little knowledge in comics characters, dr octopus is not fast like spider-man, even with super-strong tentacles, from a gameplay standpoint I look at him more akin to a ranged heavy hitter with those metal tentacles, he's not big & hulking like juggernaut or hulk obviously, but still looks more like a power based character than a speedster based in his incarnations from other games, so I think it would make sense gameplay-wise that he relies fairly in long damaging moves, or multi-hit for normals and not only specials.

Some tentacle's attacks could use a bit more fluidity too :2

drew a couple of motions using sprites you posted as example:

A normal overhead.

A normal crouching attack.

can be used as a special grab or something too, Idk.

Only thing I did was the tentacle motion, Dr. Ock himself would need more sprites to go with it obviously, and some smear for speed, needs better alignment too (did it rather in a hurry), but I think you get the gist, longer/retractable tentacles would look better, and probably would help to work a fitting/practical gameplay.

Regardless of the route you go, good luck with the wip.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:38:53 PM by 𝓐𝓵𝓲𝓬𝓮 »

Offline HornTitan

• Initiate
  • You know it!
« Reply #413 on: February 04, 2019, 07:52:49 AM »
When you mentioned Dr. Octopus stage to me through pm a few months ago I went and checked this.

Yeah, I wouldn't call the walk stiff or terrible, it's more like feels odd, ever seen a lizard standing up and running?, that's more or less the impression this walk gives me , it's odd because you can see a tentacle barely touching the ground and going up when the other still hasn't even touched ground, so it looks more like he's running or trotting without much sense of weight and being supported only by 2 tentacles, all while he's totally upright. By making him walk in 4 tentacles you probably will need to make them longer, maybe retractable capable of changing length (idk if they do, maybe not, based on the video).

Maybe just this one time and at the very least you could make the walk for him? He's been drowning on that part for months now, actually maybe even years? You two should try a private dialogue. The wip really needs to progress more. The attack idea is a very good idea to! I'm reluctant to help since it might turn out bad and I don't wanna waste my time but you have a really good rep for getting flawless results like the Dormammu head!  =D>

Just a suggestion though...
;)

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 27, 2024, 11:21:03 AM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #414 on: February 04, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
Nice animations, Alice.
About the tentacles, I think that without a bone-based program (like Dragon Bones, Spriter Pro, even After Effects, etc), it would be a nightmare to make them fluid.

Try to take a look at some of those options. Dragon Bones is free, Spriter Pro is not but is very cheap.
This is an example with After Effects

Dragon Bones (pretty cool for meshing deformation)

Using Spriter Pro

The advantage of using Spriter Pro is that he can export the sprites without antialising - which is great

Offline HornTitan

• Initiate
  • You know it!
« Reply #415 on: February 04, 2019, 04:57:05 PM »
  Those are very good suggestions to. In my opinion it would be worth the investment to learn!  ^^(PM)^ This is no different than any other wip, you gotta do whatever you have to make it happen.
;)

Offline verz36

• The Unlimited
« Reply #416 on: February 04, 2019, 08:26:57 PM »

I can't tell much about the gameplay only from that video alone but I see he still uses his own arms & legs a lot (weak-medium-strong), going some pages back I see a maximum spider-like hyper move planned too.... from my little knowledge in comics characters, dr octopus is not fast like spider-man, even with super-strong tentacles, from a gameplay standpoint I look at him more akin to a ranged heavy hitter with those metal tentacles, he's not big & hulking like juggernaut or hulk obviously, but still looks more like a power based character than a speedster based in his incarnations from other games, so I think it would make sense gameplay-wise that he relies fairly in long damaging moves, or multi-hit for normals and not only specials.

Some tentacle's attacks could use a bit more fluidity too :2drew a couple of motions using sprites you posted as example:

A normal overhead.

A normal crouching attack.

can be used as a special grab or something too, Idk.

Only thing I did was the tentacle motion, Dr. Ock himself would need more sprites to go with it obviously, and some smear for speed, needs better alignment too (did it rather in a hurry), but I think you get the gist, longer/retractable tentacles would look better, and probably would help to work a fitting/practical gameplay.

Regardless of the route you go, good luck with the wip.

wow alice u keep impressing me with your work. i really like what u did here. i fill try to put the spheres on top of your lines, they are amazing by the way. about fluidity, you are right, thats why a lot still in the works. as far as gameplay goes there still a lot to do, but xboy had a lot of things frankened and those i edited but i been thinking a lot about things and was thinking to give doc heavy strong attacks the use of the tentacles and for medium and weak attacks regular punches and kicks.. so far im trying to finish a lot of the sprites first and then i can go back and change things around and work from there..

thank you so much for your input and the things you drew here. ill try to make one of the moves you drew and see how it looks with all tentacles..  :)

Offline Bizarro_Toro

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:July 31, 2022, 09:12:44 AM
    • Email
« Reply #417 on: February 04, 2019, 10:17:16 PM »

Very nice buddy!! its good see Dock in action!!! :Terry

Offline riot

• RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:November 02, 2019, 04:56:27 AM
    • Email
« Reply #418 on: February 05, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
Very nice buddy!! its good see Dock in action!!! :Terry

It is good to see you. I wil be happy to learn some news about your work. ^_^

Offline navs41

• Dark Phoenix Saga Contributor
  • Last Login:April 28, 2024, 02:45:56 PM
« Reply #419 on: February 06, 2019, 04:53:29 AM »
ever seen a lizard standing up and running?, that's more or less the impression this walk gives me

Got the same vibe here.

I believe the easiest fix is to make the tentacles stomp instead of "pedal" with a base animation instead of using animation tools.

@Verz: if I may, how many sprites you have for one walk cycle?

I think you could keep everything in the animation, except for the lower tentacles, and rearrange them to match Hulk's legs (or Hugo if you want a higher count and less flexed legs).

If you go with Hulk, I would also add three extra still frames after every stomp with short duration, so that the weight is transferred into the animation, and you can add a little jiggle to the body (inertia). If Hugo, the sprite count (even if divided by 3) and animation should be enough to give the stomp impression already, all you have to do is add the jiggle.

Offline verz36

• The Unlimited
« Reply #420 on: February 06, 2019, 05:43:12 AM »
Got the same vibe here.

I believe the easiest fix is to make the tentacles stomp instead of "pedal" with a base animation instead of using animation tools.

@Verz: if I may, how many sprites you have for one walk cycle?

I think you could keep everything in the animation, except for the lower tentacles, and rearrange them to match Hulk's legs (or Hugo if you want a higher count and less flexed legs).

If you go with Hulk, I would also add three extra still frames after every stomp with short duration, so that the weight is transferred into the animation, and you can add a little jiggle to the body (inertia). If Hugo, the sprite count (even if divided by 3) and animation should be enough to give the stomp impression already, all you have to do is add the jiggle.

the walk cycle is total of 8 frames, but ill try hugo to see. in reality doc ock walks on all 4 tentacles, i can create the body for it but the actual tentacle animation will be crazy hard to make for me.. this character is one that takes much skills to pull off and i lack in that department. every character i have been working so far has been a challenge for me but what motivates me is that this teach me more and will help me with other work. animating tentacles is not easy. there are time that i get some right but not others..

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 12:22:28 PM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #421 on: February 06, 2019, 09:24:59 AM »
Use a vusual reference. There are plenty of Doc Oct animation/ cartoons to copy the wlk from

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline Arias

• Stage Creator
  • Last Login:June 18, 2023, 06:33:08 PM
« Reply #422 on: February 06, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
Maybe just this one time and at the very least you could make the walk for him? He's been drowning on that part for months now, actually maybe even years? You two should try a private dialogue. The wip really needs to progress more. The attack idea is a very good idea to! I'm reluctant to help since it might turn out bad and I don't wanna waste my time but you have a really good rep for getting flawless results like the Dormammu head!  =D>

Just a suggestion though...
I wouldn't have minded to help with tentacles the last months of the past year, part of november and december were rather relaxing for me, but I'm afraid for now I can't (job stuff).

Nice animations, Alice.
About the tentacles, I think that without a bone-based program (like Dragon Bones, Spriter Pro, even After Effects, etc), it would be a nightmare to make them fluid.

The advantage of using Spriter Pro is that he can export the sprites without antialising - which is great

Tried AE myself and made one, not good for pixel art if you can't export sprites exactly as they are without antialias, he will end with more work than needed, I recall seeing an option to remove antialias years ago (a plugin maybe), but it still messed the sprite a lot, spriter pro is something I have yet to try though.

Btw, didn't mean lots of frames for tentacle attacks to make it fluid (mvc gameplay is fast after all), just a better placed movement.

Like for example, if you want a drill tentacle (this is actually a motion I made for my char, just added a few different recovery frames):

This gif is 32 frames, I made the animation with 21 frames, but I can get away with only 12 too, maybe even less with better timings + smear.

@verz, If it fits any of your moves you can use it too as a base if you want.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:58:05 AM by 𝓐𝓵𝓲𝓬𝓮 »

Offline plagur

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 16, 2021, 02:50:52 PM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
« Reply #423 on: February 06, 2019, 12:12:32 PM »
not good for pixel art if you can't export sprites exactly as they are without antialias, he will end with more work than needed

those look amazingly fluid
i think even without removing anti alias it is a must
i mean you would have to go through orb overlaying twise, but man it is worth it

Offline empawk

• Initiate
  • Last Login:May 20, 2023, 04:37:37 AM
    • Empawk's Domain
    • Email
« Reply #424 on: March 31, 2019, 01:27:21 AM »

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
[5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal