collapse

Author Topic: KOF XIV discussion thread  (Read 12394 times)

Offline Tazzer

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:June 15, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
    • Email
KOF XIV discussion thread
« on: September 17, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »
So it's been officially announced that KOF XIV is coming 2016.   I'm hoping that the teaser trailer that accompanied the announcement is not the final product and VERY early in development.   That being said, It's KOF so I'll buy it either way.   I've been a long time fan of the series.   Also has to be mentioned that the game will be PS4 exclusive.  Kind of an odd thing to do, IMO, when SNK could use all the money they can get.

In the teaser, Iori seems to have his powers again.   I'm hoping that means that We'll see Chizuru back in this installment.   In theory, she should also have her powers again because by the end of the last game... Ash never happened.

I want Chizuru, Blue Mary and Billy back.  Beyond that, I don't care who else is on the roster.  Infact, just give me Chizuru and I can be persuaded to temporarily forget stick boy and what's-her-name. 

What do you guys think?   Any wishlists?

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 08:31:04 PM by DEMONKAI »

Offline Firelord Kursan

• Initiate
  • Last Login:Today at 03:42:49 PM
    • Skype - kanodoom
    • Email
Re: KOF XIV Announced
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 07:10:39 PM »
Everybody has been complainin' about the graphics, because those models looks outdated from PS2 era, but even then, Luis said "Damn, even for an early version those graphics are UGLY. Kyo looks hideous!".

It's only a placeholder, so i do not know how it will turn out, but looking at the Yami Barai, the particles and special effects/lighting are also pretty laughable. Jesus Christ. So, inb4, it's a new MI (Maximum Impact), or a reboot, so it does not feature 3D movement at all. It lacks soul, and this one looks very bland. The faces in the background does not give a lot of hope either.

Although, January 21st is a mistake, so there's no set release other than "2016"

Offline Uche_of_IMT

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:March 11, 2024, 04:16:53 PM
  • The fighting spirit lives in the fans of M.U.G.E.N
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:49:01 PM »
The final product will look much better, ladies and gentlemen. What I don't understand is why the switch from 2-D to 3-D. 2-D King of Fighters are superior to 3-D.
92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature.

Offline Tazzer

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:June 15, 2018, 06:39:36 PM
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:41:58 PM »
I agree.   2D is way better for KOF.   I don't see why they didn't just continue with the style of the last game.   It was great.

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
2D takes more work and is more expensive.

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »
I agree.   2D is way better for KOF.   I don't see why they didn't just continue with the style of the last game.   It was great.
Well tbh as magma said....its pretty much hella expensive  annnnd take a whole lot of time. Kof12.....16 to 17 months per character. And they had a team of 10 artists.  So split that up to how many characters between the 10 artists and then who knows how many others that helped with much more cause spriter artists arent even the programmers , then there is the bg artists and so on and so on.  It gets very very expensive and when your budget isnt in the green.....forget about it. 3d is much less expensive and do not really require a lot of hands on extras. But that depends on the devs production time and budget.

They can do better frames with 3d and the the modeling faster in most cases that those awesome sprites. But kof12 sucked. 13 was better. I didnt like the roid factors of some the characters. KOF should shine no matter the graphics style ( i rather have pretty ones than ugly ones tho) if the gameplay is tight as should be.  Try to do a comparison. .. 3d modelin and rigging a character for some simple animations vs hand drawing every single frame as smooth a bit as kof12 ( or 13 ) had. The time and workload of spriting them is horrendous.

Wont matter much i gues cause 2d fighters are becoming a pastime and traded up with 3d even if cel shaded style , is what they are gonna be striving for and less theft maybe.

Offline Super-Kaiser

• Initiate
  • Last Login:September 19, 2015, 04:52:22 AM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 01:28:57 AM »
Now you know why SNK is MIA from all these years. Bankrupt got them.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »
Now you know why SNK is MIA from all these years. Bankrupt got them.
Sure did, not sure how much in the red on finances they were but when they got bought by that chinese company they at least got a budget for this game. How much it is.....not sure. It aint probably as large as what sony doin for capcom for sf5  but hopefully the devs make good enough work with whatever the budget is.

I would go as good as can with whatever much they have and keep quality on point. Dont need 36 characters if ya dont have the budget for it and make due with what you got in the green for and do them well. The visuals will be upped as we come to find out , so i just want the gameplay to be on point with it.

Offline Enso

• C.R.O.M. Dancer, Sprite Artist, Winner of Sprite of the Week Contest #71, and Winner of Round 6 and 15 in Last Person To Post Wins!
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:August 18, 2023, 06:43:34 AM
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 08:11:53 AM »
I agree. I like KOF13 way better than KOF12. I never liked KOF12 because of lack of ending and it had only one ending. It was quite boring as s***. When I first watched the video of KOF14, I was unimpressed and wanted the 2D but now I respect in what they are doing in 3D. Less expensive than hand-drawing.

Sig by TGM

(click to show/hide)

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »
I thought they all meant 2D from a gameplay standpoint, not a graphical standpoint

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »
I thought they all meant 2D from a gameplay standpoint, not a graphical standpoint
Lol true , i seen that around at other spots but people have different takes on what they think in referencing 3d vs 2d. For some its the graphics and others its the gameplay. For me its both. SF5 is 3d graphics on a 2.5 D plane gameplay wise vs say....Dead or alive where its 3d graphics with 3d arena in which you can sidestep and move around the entire arena. Unless you can count that all the fighting takes place in most 3d fighters on a 2d plane but with the ability to move around then well yup.

Then there is the 2d which people affiliate  to sprite based only and 2d gameplay only.  They just never say sprites. Just 2d pertaining to graphics style mostly cause the gameplay wise is a given it wont have 3d movement at all. Fighting game genre.....such a weird but wonderful place and group. lol

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Section Moderator
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 07:02:17 PM »
I ive been a way some time but when I glanced at just the pics on FB at the time a while back I really payed it no mind....I seriously thought it was a modded version of Maximum impact some one was screwing around with. that's how bad in quality it looked to me^^....I didn't realize it was for real until 2 days later when a co worked asked me ,,,"Yo did you see that mess of a Kof 14??"...I was shocked THAT was actually KOF14,,,,

@Enso

The sad reality of KOF 12 was it was incomplete ....rumor has it Ralph and a few other characters were also on the disc but not finished, It was rushed since they needed the money er somethin. So Actually KOF 13 IS Kof 12......The complete one...I read all this at that SNK forum back then....

but anyway smh....that game looks horrible in quality....

Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »
Yeah indeed those graphics are pretty dated for a ps4 title .  Word is tho thats not the finished polish of the game and the graphics are gonna be updated so gives hope that the more complete game look will be much more better quality. I am praying so cause it looks like a small update to MI 2 more than a reinvention 3d to date kof game.

So basically this trailer of sorts is or was just to show they are workin on a new game, big thanks to the chinese company thats financially backin them. If they can up that quality to the near level of their pachinko games character graphics then that would be a win win for everyone. Crossin my fingers they go a much better route cause as is right now.....its not as good as it should or could be.

Offline sky79

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 19, 2022, 11:31:05 AM
  • Real players and makers share.
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 12:01:35 AM »
Took me an hour to write this without flying into a rant.

Not sure how to feel about this. Kneejerk reaction says "let it alone, you've F***ed KOF up enough already SNK", maybe they've finally learned, or perhaps this is just another cash in like the last 2. But lets see.

Gawd help me  8=|
Keep Mugen Free

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 07:23:26 PM »
its horrible.....plain and simple....sh*tty way for KOF to go out.....it would have been great if Arc system works bought the company and rebirthed the series.....Imagine an a NEW dream match game or even all new Fatal Fury game with Rock much older along with Terry? Sprites re drawn like those Guilty Gear games & Blazblue?

eh just a thought

HAIL CROM!!

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 01:29:45 PM »
its horrible.....plain and simple....sh*tty way for KOF to go out.....it would have been great if Arc system works bought the company and rebirthed the series.....Imagine an a NEW dream match game or even all new Fatal Fury game with Rock much older along with Terry? Sprites re drawn like those Guilty Gear games & Blazblue?

eh just a thought

I feel ya bro. Its really crappy if this is the final look . But heard its not so HOPEFULLY it looks much better. It would been great if they went the hd sprites way like guilty gear or blazblue...but ya seen what GG is now....no more sprites, 3d models cel shaded. I can take guesses why they went that route.  ;)  , i bet blaz blue will be next to follow too.

Kof needs a major upgrade if 3d, this ritht now.......bleh at its best. Doa2 and 3 looks better than this and its ps2 graphics wise right now. No where near what a ps4 can do and how it shoukd look. They either need better artists and modelers or release this for a ps3 only and it still would be bleh.

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »

New teaser. Leona and Chang confirmed.

Offline sky79

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »
Congratulations SNKP, you've caught up to StreetFighter 4  L-)
Keep Mugen Free

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2015, 06:32:43 PM »
Congratulations SNKP, you've caught up to StreetFighter 4  L-)
Man what you talkin bout bro.....this is kof impact 3 man.......hold up......its kof 14?   THIS?  /:O
I am done!   o.O# snkp

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 01:31:30 AM »
Exactly...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:18:34 PM by DEMONKAI »

HAIL CROM!!

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 02:51:34 PM »
Exactly...

(click to show/hide)
^^(PM)^  :DxDie indeed man . Huge piece and harvest crop wise! !!   :D
 Wtf are they thinkin let alone doing? Added makin this a ps4 ...exclusive?  They done lost their minds. Their devs could only get this far?  The graphics are.....ps2 worthy at best and those hit sparks and fx......gtfoh snkp those are corn.  The characters look so arggg awful pixlated against the bg its ridiculous. Look like cardboard cutouts.

They shoulda went free software engines for developing this game  like unreal or unity, hell bee cool to use Havok engine. Coulda used a low budget or free graphical programs to create everything like autodesk softimage, 3d max, Daz studio or somethin to bring these characters upgrade quality for a ps4 exclusive.  Kof 13 looks better than this. If money was an issue i woulda suggested they went with what i listed above or maybe the design team needs to go back to the drawing board. I would wait 2 years for a decent looking new kof 14 uprade graphics in 3d but this is craptacular right now and its trailer 2!!!  They seem to be rushin this sucker and its not looking buy a ps4 worthy at all.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 08:19:10 PM by DEMONKAI »

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 08:43:39 AM »

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 21, 2024, 10:58:34 AM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 10:31:10 AM »
Andy looks like a girl.

Offline sky79

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 08:14:45 PM »
I just don't have enough hate left to come up with something witty. Worked a 15 hour day, then I just saw the 'Civil War' trailer, and was jacked, then this, now? I just wanna go to bed, it's like it sucked all life from me, I just can't care for it  <_<|...|

F*** SNK
Keep Mugen Free

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 11:37:09 AM »

King, Billy, Ralf, Kula and Angel confirmed! 50 characters roster!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

SPIDER-VERSE THE AMAZING MUGENSTORY©EPISODE 10 "THE OTHERVERSE" 1080P BY REB3LTV by Rage
[March 27, 2024, 02:44:21 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[March 24, 2024, 11:09:37 AM]

Tree Of Erebus Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[March 22, 2024, 08:13:48 AM]

.Batzarro's. Sprite Edits by MatreroG
[March 20, 2024, 07:58:08 AM]

World Heroes 2 Shura Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[March 19, 2024, 12:44:28 PM]

MOVED: Prepare your ****! ***** Soldier gets his **** ready in MUGEN! by Rage
[March 18, 2024, 11:08:23 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista