collapse

Author Topic: 3 Questions  (Read 709 times)

animugen

3 Questions
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:16:41 PM »
What do you think is better Retro Games or games of Today?What's your dream game?And what Retro Games do you miss?

Me

I think Retro is better because the games of today don't have the same fire that they had back then.I grew up with games like Super Mario,DKC,Sonic the Hedgehog and such.I mean games today are good but I think the companies are half@$$ing all their games.For example Capcom made a sorry excuse for a Capcom Fighting Jam with Capcom Fight Evolution,Sega's Sonic adventure gets boring,Nintendo's Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine is too repetive.I missed playing sidescrolling games and those classic RPGs,And those good ole fighting games where you don't just press a button and you do like a 90 hit combo.I might get beaten up for this but this is just my opinion.I haven't touched my PS2 in a while.

My dream game would be a Melty Blood VS Guilty Gear since they both have EX Characters,and anime,and not to mention they both have rock music It'll be a sweet game.

My next dream game would a game I'd like to call Ultimate Stars Crossover it'll be like Mugen but just in a Kingdom Hearts Style RPG where the battle is real time and you can download the worlds and the characters into your memory card and you can start off by making your own character you choose the Sex,Race,Job Class & you can have up to 9 party members 8 from the different anime or video game franchises.And there's alot more ideas about this game.I bought up something like this to my friends and they were fascinated If I knew how to make fan games I'd make it myself and my friends.Me and my friends talk about it ALOT!!

And now The retro games I miss are

Super Mario Allstars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
All of the megaman series(Classic)
DKC
The Legend of Zelda a link to the past
Sonic the Hedgehog
The classic Final Fantasies
Final Fight
Streets of Rage
Breath of Fire(Capcom needs to give it to Square Enix Seriously)
Guardian Heroes

And ALOT More.

What about all of you? :-?? 

Offline Lightblackheart

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 03, 2014, 10:33:27 PM
  • infinity's personal Dimentional Jester
Re: 3 Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:19:16 PM »
hell,classic megaman,castlevania,final fantasy and LOZ all the way
mario games werent bad either

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:Today at 07:01:29 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »
1. Retro, and I'll tell you why. All these never games, yeah the look awesome, stories can be very involving, even gameplay can be great... but once you finish them, unless they have online multiplayer, you don't go back.

2. Mega Man Legends 3 or a Mega Man 9 (No Rockman & Forte is NOT 9)

3. I don't miss too many cause I still have most, via Live Arcade or Virtual Console.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline [Asian-Jesus]

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 04, 2012, 05:37:23 AM
  • WHO WAS PHONE?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:54:01 PM »
1. Retro because....No brainer.

2. Same as G Lux. Also and MMO Gundam game, and my own creations.
--The first is a 2D/3D shmup built from the ground up. It's a hybrid of Geometry Wars style gameplay, and traditional danmaku style shmups. (basically, a bunch of bullets flying at you non-stop) I'm even working on a combo system for it. I've been working on this for about a year now.
--The second is something I thought of recently. It's a Pokemon game.  <_<|...| Basically, it's Pokemon in the style of Legend of Zelda. Instead of a sword and shield, you use two of six pokemon as a sword and shield. And like traditional Pokemon games, there's the whole PP system. However, instead of each pokemon having an HP bar, the player has one. Most of my time has been spent on the first game, so I don't know when, or if, I'll ever get to this.

3. Not many come to mind, since I have a bunch of them on emulators on flash carts for my Gameboy Micro.
You are now the final object of the 2538. Bring them together, and show us your smile.

Offline Darkgargos

• Infinity Graphic Designer
  • Last Login:October 10, 2017, 12:10:54 PM
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 05:27:27 AM »
1. Retro all the way baby! Okay, I'm one of the most old skool and hardcore gamers around....and thankfully I still am. I've been playing since Intellevison and Atari 2600 and the other really old game consoles, so I've put in my share of time into gaming. Back then games were hard and unforgiving so there was no assurance that you would make it to that next level, so we continued to play for hours on end practicing and memorizing each and every level. The game companies made games so much better and more enthralling which made it more exciting to get to that next level because they were so well designed. Games were usually short as well so they were made hard so we got more enjoyment out of them. Games today are just too easy and they are made longer to try to make up for it, but that doesn't cut it. The 8-bit and 16-bit days and 24-bit if you were a NeoGeo freak too were the best IMO, gameplay was king and games had more challenging difficulty and music was also top notch considering the limits they had to work with. Plus 2D graphics rock! and I just don't care for all this flashy 3D and CG thrown in my face just to impress me....*Squareenix! I'm looking in your direction!* Ever since games went 3D they just weren't as fun anymore.....* D@mn! Playstation for brainwashing everyone* Glitches and bugs are rampant and companies barely even try to take them out or even bother to test their games before release. I think there was more passion for games and making them into works of art back then. Let's also not forget the wonders of the arcade..........god I miss the arcades. Game companies don't care about the gamers anymore...only about money. They don't sell to the hardcore gamers only to the mainstream and casual gamers now......*sigh* the golden age of games has long since past and though it is truly sad, we need to except that things will never be the same again.

2. I don't really have a dream game, as the games that I want have already been made. Besides game companies wouldn't bother making the games that I want.....mostly Shmups.

3. As for retro games that I miss and wish would make a comeback....
M.U.S.H.A
Metal Slug 1,2,3
Thunder Force series
Darius series
Dimahoo
19XX
Cotton
DoDonPachi
Gunbird 1 & 2
R-Type Leo
Xexex
Castlevania : Symphony of the Night
Castlevania: Dracula X-Rondo of Blood
Super Castlevania 4
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 4 and 6
Streets of Rage 1,2,3
Final Fight,1,2,3,Guy
Original Megaman series
Actraiser 1 & 2
Soul Blazer
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
King of the Monsters 2
Samurai Shodown 2
Shock Troopers 1 & 2
Strider
TMNT arcade game
X-Men arcade game
Axelay
Demon's Crest
Rocket Knight Adventures
Bonk
All Turrican games
Terranigma
Alisia Dragoon
Battle Toads
Double Dragon
Gunstar Heroes
Pulseman
Lords of Thunder
Altered Beast
Valis

I could keep going, but I think I'll stop here...you get the point, just so many great games that I have fond memories of and the companies just don't give a d@mn about anymore.....I really wish the Shmup genre would make a comeback, but no one cares about it anymore.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 05:33:05 AM by Darkgargos »

Offline Negi Springfield

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:December 26, 2022, 03:12:38 PM
  • Got some change?!
    • Hokuto_no_Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 08:07:29 AM »
old skool?
sh*t...
I really didn't actually play that much old skool
but here's some favs

Sonic the hedgehog 2
Road Rash 2
Earthworm Jim
Super Mario World
Donkey Kong Country 2
and
of course
Street Fighter 2
XP

Offline Ryu # 20

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 04, 2016, 08:34:54 AM
  • Justice Fighter
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 10:43:52 AM »
1 - Can't decide. Games like NFS or Winning Eleven are awesome, but Street Rod for P.C. or good ole' Soccer for N.E.S. kicked @$$ with simple graphics!

2 - My dream game? I already got it: M.U.G.E.N.!!!

3 - Here's my list:

Super Mario All-stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario World
All of the Megaman series
DKC
The Legend of Zelda
Sonic the Hedgehog series for Megadrive
Final Fight (Everyone!)
Streets of Rage
Battletoads
Double Dragon
Battletoads Double Dragon (Awesome crossover!)
Yoshi's Island
Kirby All Stars (Or something like that, I don't remember the name of the SNES game)
Soccer (N.E.S.)
Lakers vs. Celtics
Street-Rod (An abandonware NFS style racing game with cars from '30 to '70, resembles typical 50's drive-in race movies)
Prince of Persia
Renegade (a beat 'em up game similar to Double Dragon for N.E.S.)
WWF Steel Cage Challenge (N.E.S.)
Excite Bike
F1-Race
Galaga
Ikari Warriors
Contra
Metal Slug
Harley-Davidson: Road to Sturgis

Etc.

1. Retro all the way baby! Okay, I'm one of the most old skool and hardcore gamers around....and thankfully I still am.

And you're 30 years old? I really look up to ya! I wanted to be a gamer all my life ever since I was 4 years old and my dad taught me to play my first videogame in his computer, which was F1 Championship by Accolade (that company made excellent racing games back in the day). Now I'm 19 and my family keep pestering me about being a gamer. Thank goodness there are people like you which show me it's possible! ^:)^

I've been playing since Intellevison and Atari 2600 and the other really old game consoles, so I've put in my share of time into gaming. Back then games were hard and unforgiving so there was no assurance that you would make it to that next level, so we continued to play for hours on end practicing and memorizing each and every level. The game companies made games so much better and more enthralling which made it more exciting to get to that next level because they were so well designed. Games were usually short as well so they were made hard so we got more enjoyment out of them. Games today are just too easy and they are made longer to try to make up for it, but that doesn't cut it. The 8-bit and 16-bit days and 24-bit if you were a NeoGeo freak too were the best IMO, gameplay was king and games had more challenging difficulty and music was also top notch considering the limits they had to work with. Plus 2D graphics rock! and I just don't care for all this flashy 3D and CG thrown in my face just to impress me....*Squareenix! I'm looking in your direction!* Ever since games went 3D they just weren't as fun anymore.....* D@mn! Playstation for brainwashing everyone* Glitches and bugs are rampant and companies barely even try to take them out or even bother to test their games before release. I think there was more passion for games and making them into works of art back then. Let's also not forget the wonders of the arcade..........god I miss the arcades. Game companies don't care about the gamers anymore...only about money. They don't sell to the hardcore gamers only to the mainstream and casual gamers now......*sigh* the golden age of games has long since past and though it is truly sad, we need to except that things will never be the same again.

Agreed on every single thing you said. But 3D games are not THAT bad, the NFS Series are excellent example.

And what you said I highlighted on bold is what I miss the most. There was a time where anyone could go to an arcade and challenge another person to something (I used to get challenged at SF) PLUS some cooperative games (The Simpsons beat 'em up, Captain Commando, Final Fight or even Cadillacs and Dinosaurs) with other people were the simplest yet funnest way of gaming. And the game companies... totally true. That's why those EA motherf*ckers do not launch their new Simpsons Game for P.C., releasing on next-gen console ports gives them more money. But there's a bright side ot it, at least there are new and more complex games which are interesting (MMORPGS for example). Things have changed, but luckily there are still emulators for good ole' arcades and cartridge consoles.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 11:16:26 AM by Ryu # 19 »

Offline Darkgargos

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 11:09:10 AM »
And you're 30 years old? I really look up to ya! I wanted to be a gamer all my life ever since I was 4 years old and my dad taught me to play my first videogame in his computer, which was F1 Championship by Accolade (that company made excellent racing games back in the day). Now I'm 19 and my family keep pestering me about being a gamer. Thank goodness there are people like you which show me it's possible! ^:)^

Keep playing and don't let anyone get you down  :thumbsup: Gaming is a wonderful hobby that can keep you young at heart and it is the one thing that makes me happy in this insane world we live in and be d@mned if I'm ever gonna quit.....I don't care if I'm old and in a wheelchair and some nurse has to change my diapers.....I'm still gonna keep playing till the day I die. Once a gamer, always a gamer  :)

Offline Ryu # 20

• Infinity Regular
  • Justice Fighter
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »
That's a promise. ^^(PM)^

animugen

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 02:00:56 PM »
Wow I was gone for a day and this thread already has 8 replies.Anyway you guys seem to be really interested into all this.I might even throw in do you think fan made games are better than what the companies make.I don't know  :-??

Offline Gigan X3

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:December 05, 2015, 07:56:22 PM
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 03:01:53 PM »
Both Retro and New because old games win a place from all those hours of my childhood but this newer games still are as good.

My Dream game is Super Smash Bros. Brawl with Mewtwo, Brawl lacks only that. If I have been playing Melee since it's release date untill now I believe the game is perfect, same with the 64 one, SF Alpha, KOF 2000 and other NEWER Classics.

What Retro Game do I miss? None because I still play 'em on my SNES and these games are good the way they are, they need no sequel, most of the times sequels or remakes just ruin the good old classics or bring nothing new. Better Graphics don't do the job.

Offline Ryu # 20

• Infinity Regular
  • Justice Fighter
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 04:18:08 PM »
Wow I was gone for a day and this thread already has 8 replies.Anyway you guys seem to be really interested into all this.I might even throw in do you think fan made games are better than what the companies make.I don't know  :-??

Fan made games? Bid For Power's mod for Quake III Arena and Desert Combat for Battlefield 1942 surely rock! But I don't know anything about fan made games. :|

My Dream game is Super Smash Bros. Brawl with Mewtwo, Brawl lacks only that.

I used to think the same about fighting games overall. I don't have a Wii so I can't play Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but those kind of criticisms are normal about fighting games.

Oh wait! Funny thought: What if there was a version of M.U.G.E.N. with 3D characters like those in Rival Schools, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter EX series and Super Smash Bros.?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 04:26:56 PM by Ryu # 19 »

Offline Gigan X3

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 04:37:32 PM »
Oh wait! Funny thought: What if there was a version of M.U.G.E.N. with 3D characters like those in Rival Schools, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter EX series and Super Smash Bros.?

...Mama Mia. :o

animugen

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 04:56:53 PM »

Fan made games? Bid For Power's mod for Quake III Arena and Desert Combat for Battlefield 1942 surely rock! But I don't know anything about fan made games. :|

My Dream game is Super Smash Bros. Brawl with Mewtwo, Brawl lacks only that.

I used to think the same about fighting games overall. I don't have a Wii so I can't play Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but those kind of criticisms are normal about fighting games.

Dude do you know much memory a 3D mugen would use up?I mean my mugen is almost a gig.I've seen others mugen who's over 5 gigs and with like 500 or more characters.Think about a 3D mugen with over 500 characters.It'll Eat up so much CPU,& Ram of your computer.I guarantee it'll over 50 Gigs.Perhaps over a Terrabyte or even a PetaByte  :o

Offline [Asian-Jesus]

• Infinity Regular
  • WHO WAS PHONE?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
1. Retro all the way baby! Okay, I'm one of the most old skool and hardcore gamers around....and thankfully I still am. I've been playing since Intellevison and Atari 2600 and the other really old game consoles, so I've put in my share of time into gaming. Back then games were hard and unforgiving so there was no assurance that you would make it to that next level, so we continued to play for hours on end practicing and memorizing each and every level. The game companies made games so much better and more enthralling which made it more exciting to get to that next level because they were so well designed. Games were usually short as well so they were made hard so we got more enjoyment out of them. Games today are just too easy and they are made longer to try to make up for it, but that doesn't cut it. The 8-bit and 16-bit days and 24-bit if you were a NeoGeo freak too were the best IMO, gameplay was king and games had more challenging difficulty and music was also top notch considering the limits they had to work with. Plus 2D graphics rock! and I just don't care for all this flashy 3D and CG thrown in my face just to impress me....*Squareenix! I'm looking in your direction!* Ever since games went 3D they just weren't as fun anymore.....* D@mn! Playstation for brainwashing everyone* Glitches and bugs are rampant and companies barely even try to take them out or even bother to test their games before release. I think there was more passion for games and making them into works of art back then. Let's also not forget the wonders of the arcade..........god I miss the arcades. Game companies don't care about the gamers anymore...only about money. They don't sell to the hardcore gamers only to the mainstream and casual gamers now......*sigh* the golden age of games has long since past and though it is truly sad, we need to except that things will never be the same again.

2. I don't really have a dream game, as the games that I want have already been made. Besides game companies wouldn't bother making the games that I want.....mostly Shmups.

3. As for retro games that I miss and wish would make a comeback....
M.U.S.H.A
Metal Slug 1,2,3
Thunder Force series
Darius series
Dimahoo
19XX
Cotton
DoDonPachi
Gunbird 1 & 2
R-Type Leo
Xexex
Castlevania : Symphony of the Night
Castlevania: Dracula X-Rondo of Blood
Super Castlevania 4
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 4 and 6
Streets of Rage 1,2,3
Final Fight,1,2,3,Guy
Original Megaman series
Actraiser 1 & 2
Soul Blazer
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara
Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
King of the Monsters 2
Samurai Shodown 2
Shock Troopers 1 & 2
Strider
TMNT arcade game
X-Men arcade game
Axelay
Demon's Crest
Rocket Knight Adventures
Bonk
All Turrican games
Terranigma
Alisia Dragoon
Battle Toads
Double Dragon
Gunstar Heroes
Pulseman
Lords of Thunder
Altered Beast
Valis

I could keep going, but I think I'll stop here...you get the point, just so many great games that I have fond memories of and the companies just don't give a d@mn about anymore.....I really wish the Shmup genre would make a comeback, but no one cares about it anymore.

If you think no one cares about shmups anymore, then you boviously haven't been scouring the internet hard enough.
You are now the final object of the 2538. Bring them together, and show us your smile.

animugen

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 09:21:19 PM »
 >:-(-|

What's a Shmup?

Offline Darkgargos

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 09:33:31 PM »

What's a Shmup?

Shoot'em ups or shooters.

@[Asian-Jesus]  It ain't what it used to be, it's popularity has dwindled over the years and game companies refuse make them anymore. Used to get tons of them during the 16-bit era. There are the hardcore fans that are still around, but it's not the craze it once was.

animugen

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 09:35:35 PM »

What's a Shmup?

@[Asian-Jesus]  It ain't what it used to be, it's popularity has dwindled over the years and game companies refuse make them anymore. Used to get tons of them during the 16-bit era. There are the hardcore fans that are still around, but it's not the craze it once was.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Darkgargos

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 10:19:06 PM »

What's a Shmup?

Thanks for the info.

No problem  ;)

Offline [Asian-Jesus]

• Infinity Regular
  • WHO WAS PHONE?
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 10:59:22 PM »

What's a Shmup?

Well, there's still a bunch being made by indie developers like Kenta Cho and ZUN.

Not to mention Shikigami no Shiro III for the Wii in 08. That's right, there's still a company making shmups.

Offline Darkgargos

• Email
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 12:19:41 AM »

What's a Shmup?

Well, there's still a bunch being made by indie developers like Kenta Cho and ZUN.

Not to mention Shikigami no Shiro III for the Wii in 08. That's right, there's still a company making shmups.

Maybe so, but not by any major companies anymore or by the other shmup companies. The general public doesn't like them because they can't handle the difficulty..*bunch of wimps*  We have to rely on indie companies and fan games......just sad.  The genre may still be alive ,but it's on life support though.

Offline [Asian-Jesus]

• Infinity Regular
  • WHO WAS PHONE?
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 12:21:07 AM »

What's a Shmup?

Maybe so, but not by any major companies anymore or by the other shmup companies. The general public doesn't like them because they can't handle the difficulty..*bunch of wimps*  We have to rely on indie companies and fan games......just sad.  The genre may still be alive ,but it's on life support though.

Psssh, life support my butt. Try Ether Vapor.  ;)

Offline Gigan X3

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »
Quote from: DarkGargos

Well Why make games the majority won't buy? I admit the situation sucks though as I like these games too.

Hopefully with the Wii Ware Original Downloads and Xbox Live Arcade these games get a revival sometime soon in the near future.

Offline Darkgargos

• Email
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 04:39:27 AM »
Psssh, life support my @$$. Try Ether Vapor.  ;)

Already have it, and it's a pretty d@mn good game too. At least with games like that you can just download for free and enjoy, so I'm happy with that at least.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal