collapse

Author Topic: A question regarding Final Fantasy  (Read 813 times)

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
A question regarding Final Fantasy
« on: September 29, 2012, 02:53:01 AM »
I've been told about FF for years now and I've heard countless debates and arguments surrounding it and seen plenty of videos and playthroughs of it. So I'd like to ask you all a question about the series:

AS SOMEONE WHO HONESTLY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT FINAL FANTASY OR EVEN SEE THE APPEAL OF THE SERIES, WHY SHOULD I CARE?

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 26, 2024, 02:34:14 PM
Re: A question regarding Final Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 03:22:00 AM »
Personally, I think if you don't care for RPGs then there's no real point. Sorta like I don't care about racing games (outside of Mario Kart..and Chocobo Racing..). Wouldn't care how great a review some racing game gets, it's just not my thing.

If you do care, then honestly, FF is where it all started. Nothing's topping the story line, play style, and overall awesomeness that FF7 is. Hell, it's the only real reason I used my Kindle Fire at all.

We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside of us.
(click to show/hide)

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »
It's funny though: I actually do play a few RPGs (mainly the Mario RPGs and the X-Men Legends/Marvel Ultimate Alliance series) though I'm not a HUGE fan of the genre, which I guess explains it.

But even then, I honestly don't find myself intrigued with the characters or stories of Final Fantasy. The writing (at least in some of the 3D games) comes across as awkward to me, and I don't really find a lot of the music memorable (which is weird since one of the Square Enix composers made what is in my opinion one of the best final boss themes ever in Mario and Luigi 3)

So yeah, now that I've given you all incentive to kill me  :D

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 03:19:15 PM »
Final Fantasy started going down hill with 7.

The best final fantasy game is 6 (3 for america on the snes)
Beautful 2D sprites, characters who are well fleshed out and likeable, and the music is some of the best video game music ever composed. If you could only play one game in all of final fantasy, this should be the one.

It was the first game to ever make me cry.
It was also the first FF game with a female lead character.
It also has one of the best villians of all time.
If i try to explain though it will detract from the exprence

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »
I've also heard that 9 is supposedly good

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 04:25:17 PM »
If you grew up with the games and such I understand why you'd prefer the older ones to anything from 7 on. The graphics became 3D for one but there is no denying how amazing the story and game play were on FF7. This was the game that I first squeezed out a few tears for myself. Most every theme in this game is memorable, none more than the battle and Aeris' themes. FF9 was my bro's favorite, by far, and I honestly can't blame him. It was a really great game that seemed to go back (design/feel wise) to how the first few FFs were a bit. Really a great game all around that I'll probably start playing on my Kindle (since I never passed it by myself).

To be fair, I did also like FF8 (which I know a lot of people hated) but not so much for the story (though, the side story of Laguna was awesome) but for the game play...and the card game. I'm a sucker for those side games. Same goes for FFX and Blitz Ball. Stopped playing after that one.

We stopped checking for monsters under our bed when we realized they were inside of us.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kriven

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 04, 2021, 04:30:43 PM
  • Rock on, Mario!
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »
You shouldn't care. That's about all there is to it. You have no obligation to care, and you're not missing out by not caring.

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 07:03:55 PM »
I couldnt get into 8, way to depressing and i hated the draw system for magic

Offline .Batzarro.

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:16:02 PM »
Yeah, the junction and drawing system of magic took some getting use to. It wasn't half bad once you really got into it and I did love the ability to level up the summons/guardians/whatever they were called in this game. The story was bleh, though. Only remember key points, like Squall being all whiny and woe-is-me.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »
Now FF7 is not as amazingly awesome as it's fans says it is. The story is just the generic steampunk narrative you are to expect, which does it's job. I personally dislike how the all-powerfull summons are just random shiny rocks with no relevance to the plot whatsoever, while in previous games you had to actually beat them to be able to call them. Not to mention how the characters have no individual skills like in previous games. And the oner after 7 are more story over gameplay, which is the thing I hate the most in today gaming as a whole.

I DID started the series with 7, but I'm one who when starting at the middle will go back to look at the past, and I found the previous games to be much more likable and honest, with 4 being my actual favorite hands down.

Offline Silva-silva

• Shadaloo's Overlord
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:October 26, 2019, 11:39:32 PM
  • Sono kubi... ka kiru
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
To be frank if you don't like RPGs then you shouldnt play Final Fantasy. But If you want to try them out you may want to play 5, 6, 7, 9 or 10 as they are the best ones, the first one is good but its just a strait forward d&d style rpg with a very simple plot. number 4 may also interest you as it is the shortest by far and as you do not like RPGs it would give you an Idea of what Final fantasy is all about without takeing too long to beat.

TBH I wasnt a fan of rpg's besides the mario ones either, but then I played chrono trigger and that changed, although its not a final fantasy game I'd recommend it as Its my fave RPG closely followed by ff6.

"Are you a man who likes to beat their wife? Then head on over to Topeka Kansas, because it's now legal there." - Fox news

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
I couldnt get into 8, way to depressing and i hated the draw system for magic

The plot for 8 is stupid anyway.

(click to show/hide)

I myself didn't play a final fantasy game and my opinion was the same as yours hyper sonic, but then I play 7, which was all right, but I mostly did it to know why everyone thought it was great. afterwards, I played FF6 and I was hooked. It's an excellent game. Now I've almost beat all of the main series FF games, however I still need to find a copy of three so I could play that one.

Offline Snakebyte

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 26, 2021, 09:56:15 PM
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
Because it's good.

Really, what kind of question is that?

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 07:37:38 PM »
Because it's good.

Really, what kind of question is that?
There's nothing wrong with asking what makes a series so popular.

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
RPGs are interactive movies, you're interested in Marvel and Mario so you enjoy those RPG but you're not invested in the Final Fantasy world so unless you like RPG (interactive movies) then you're probably looking for video games that require a bit more from you (e.g. fighting games).  :-??

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »
hmmm my brother is a huge RPG fanatic turned MMORPG fanmatic. me i dont play RPG;'s  like that but FF7 was my bread and butter. tear jerker moment happened indeed.  The story wasnt allll generic as with any of the Rpg's out there you find many utilize similiar ideals but with twists to them to make them sorta fresh.. some not all.  I cant really recommend any like that but like mentioned with earlier ones and maybe up to 7 and even 8. Like acey described as well., its is basically like playing a movie of sorts and is just interactive to flesh out the storylines. some ok , some good and some hailed as great. and some bad. lol.  I dont always agree with critics like that cause each to his own and some dont even like rpgs and just review them to give their opinion. I always check in the books to see what is the critics likes and interests in games to see where their mindset is at when they give a review of a genre they dont even like that much but critique it.

if your not really an rpg type and have no interest in them then you wont get anything out of them. But if you go in with an open mind and not prejudging them you can find your own gem that you and others that share what you like about certain rpg games made. ome people favor certain systems than others but you would have to see which one suits your taste. i liked FF7 very much, to me still one of the best made by them.

Offline deadmangunner

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 06, 2016, 04:00:04 PM
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Well it can be said that most people did not get into RPGs until they played FF7 and that is why the game gets so much hype. I did like FF7 but, I would say FF9 was my favorite because it was a throw back to the older FFs. I think around FF10 the series fell off a cliff. FF10 was good but, not as good as some of the older ones and really 10 was where the lame ideas for the series started creeping in and after 10 the series has just become junk. I went and played all the older games after FF7 and found that they where a lot better mainly due to the story being better. I will give FF7 some credit though because it have some the coolest characters and everyone knows them but, it was not as good as the games that came before it or as good as FF9 which was trying to reconnect to the old games.
 You really have to be into RPGs to like FF but, I will say there a lot better RPGs out there like Legend of The Dragoon, The Namco Tales games, Chrono Trigger, The Mana games, The first 3 Star Ocean games, Earthbound or in Japan Mother, The Castlevanias that have the Symphony of The Night Style know as Metroidvania, Digimon World games  not including #4 that stunk, Lunar 1 and 2, The Suikoden series. That is to name a few old school good ones. Now and days it is more Mass Effect, Skyrim, Fallout, Dark Souls and so on which are good but, are more of a blend of RPG and other game styles which is not bad. though from what I have found it is easier for non RPG fans to get into MMORPGs after talking to people who are not RPG players. Things like Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Star Wars The Old Republic, Tera, Rift, Aion and such. I like all those games though I do not  like WOW so much any more and I have not Played SWTOR and I love Guild Wars 2 so far.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[Today at 10:20:11 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar