collapse

Author Topic: After The Past 12 Years, Duke Nukem Forever Cancelled/3D Realms Shuts Down  (Read 996 times)

Offline Dissidia

• Newage Mugen Admin &
  • Stage Creator
  • Last Login:April 28, 2024, 09:18:32 PM
  • Neigh
    • Skype - dissidia.mugen
    • Dissidia Creations
    • Email
Veteran games developer 3D Realms has closed down because of a lack of funds.

Founded in 1987, the firm popularised the concept of shareware gaming and published the seminal Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein 3D first-person shooters.

The company was working on a follow-up title, Duke Nukem Forever, which after being in development for 12 years has become the object of industry derision.

Publisher Take-Two says it will no longer fund development of the game but retains rights to the title.

"We can confirm that our relationship with 3D Realms for Duke Nukem Forever was a publishing arrangement, which did not include ongoing funds for development of the title," said Take-Two's Alan Lewis in a statement.

There has been no official comment from 3D Realms, other than a forum posting from the company's webmaster, Joe Siegler, who said: "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."

Other companies with links to 3D Realms or the Duke Nukem series were quick to distance themselves.

Duke Nukem Forever was the most aptly named title in the history of games
Guardian games writer Steve Boxer

In a posting on Twitter, Apogee Software said it was "officially not affected by the situation at 3DRealms".

"Development of the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned and further announcements about upcoming games will be made in the near future," the statement added.

Guardian newspaper games writer Steve Boxer said it was astonishing 3D Realms had not finished the game after more than a decade of development.

"It would have been nice to see another Duke Nukem game, but given they had more than 12 years it's just incompetence of the highest order.

"3D Realms made some great games in the past, but they got overtaken by the 21st Century.

"Sadly, Duke Nukem Forever was the most aptly named title in the history of games. Now, it's just Duke Nukem Never."

I remember I was playing Duke Nukem 3D at the time back in 1996, running Windows 95, we all had our lovely 56k modems and 2 MB of RAM on our Hardrives. When I heard about Duke Nukem Forever in 1997, I was hyped, but now 12 years later, me, I became 20 years old, 3D Realms closes. I'm very sad that Duke Nukem Forever is cancelled, but seriously, they should've released this freakin' game since 1998 :lol:. But damn this sucks the company had to shut down though.

Offline Weapon x program

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 16, 2015, 12:38:11 PM
  • welcome
I m gonna cry, i will miss you duke  :'(

Offline Random Regular

• heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 09, 2018, 05:54:53 AM
  • ??!!!
Nooooooooooooo *Iceman ThumbsDown!*
I remeber I played Duke Nukem on my old psx like 11 years ago (12? :-??)
I know the graphics sucked hard but in that time it was awesome.

Well 3D Realms, Thats a nice way to finish the Duke Nukem series.
But I can't blame them..

Offline Ohsky

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:September 23, 2013, 09:32:07 AM
f**k them, they shouldnt be teasing people for over a decade, f**k them! <_<|...|
Open source Custom Sf3 Gouken sprites, in the open source section.

Offline KudosForce

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 18, 2011, 07:01:38 PM
    • Email
Well, it certainly lived up to its title, unlike a certain fantasy series whose name doesn't need to be said. 8=|

It's better to have a DS trilogy than no new entries to the series at all. Making a guest appearance in the next Super Smash Bros. would do Duke a LOT of favors.

Still, it's disappointing to hear this. :(
Mission complete!

-Rolento

92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature

Offline [Asian-Jesus]

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 04, 2012, 05:37:23 AM
  • WHO WAS PHONE?
f**k them, they shouldnt be teasing people for over a decade, f**k them! <_<|...|

Pssh, you just don't understand at all.

Duke Nukem Forever is the greatest injoke in the entire video game industry.
You are now the final object of the 2538. Bring them together, and show us your smile.

Offline Error Macro

• Never finishes anything
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 30, 2022, 05:37:56 AM
    • :)
    • Email
Hence the "Forever" in the title.  Seems like the game would take FOREVER to be released.

Offline Weapon x program

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 16, 2015, 12:38:11 PM
  • welcome
Hence the "Forever" in the title.  Seems like the game would take FOREVER to be released.
NICE JOKE  :thumbsup:

Offline Nutty-Da-Kid

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 08, 2013, 06:04:06 PM
  • Still Nutpatch but a bit more nutty
    • Email
Nooooooooooooo *Iceman ThumbsDown!*
I remeber I played Duke Nukem on my old psx like 11 years ago (12? :-??)
I know the graphics sucked hard but in that time it was awesome.

Well 3D Realms, Thats a nice way to finish the Duke Nukem series.
But I can't blame them..

Lol same my dad use to be obssessed with duke nukem back in the day i remember i broke his duke nukem he was mad at me for hella long..

Offline Violent Ken Masters

• Contributor
  • Last Login:April 17, 2017, 01:52:10 AM
  • WELCOME TO DIE!!!
    • Violent Ken's site
    • Email
Yeah usually when they take a long time to make a game you can kind of tell it's going to be canceled. Like how StarCraft Ghost kept switching from producer to producer, they just put themselves in a hole. Eidos almost killed off Tomb Raider with that first ps2 game, however Eidos' problems at the time led to the death of the Fear Effect series.

It's really a shame when games get canceled because the creators are being a lil indecisive about what they should do.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 08, 2023, 09:35:27 PM
  • I'm done you know where to find me. Click my sig.
    • Deviant-Generation
Thats gay they even said on a duke nukem site that they were still planning and developing stuff. I loved Duke nukem even better then I love the Doom series. I cannot believe that they took 12 years just to go bankrupt and let duke hang basically. I saw some screens and everything looked awesome especially the strip bar that the duke nukem series is known for!  =P~ Anyways guess they finally put it to rest. Hopefully someone will continue where they left off or create a duke nukem that far surpasses Duke Nukem Forever.

Thats the second game that needs a next gen sequel. The first being Killer instinct I still wish for the day to come when rare or someone that bought the license off of rare to announce a Killer instinct 3.

Im a sad panda now.... :'( May Duke nukem Rest in Peace....My closest child hood friend.

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:February 23, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
I'm keeping the faith. you never know who might pick up the title, or whatnot.

always bet on duke.

Offline Nutty-Da-Kid

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:November 08, 2013, 06:04:06 PM
  • Still Nutpatch but a bit more nutty
    • Email
Yeah usually when they take a long time to make a game you can kind of tell it's going to be canceled. Like how StarCraft Ghost kept switching from producer to producer, they just put themselves in a hole. Eidos almost killed off Tomb Raider with that first ps2 game, however Eidos' problems at the time led to the death of the Fear Effect series.

It's really a shame when games get canceled because the creators are being a lil indecisive about what they should do.

lol u guys be psychic i know this is random but i swear i was in the shower yesterday thinking dam i wonder wat ever happened to da fear effect series i remember i had the first couple of fear effect's on ps1 back in 2001 but i never really got around to playing them.

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
Thats the second game that needs a next gen sequel. The first being Killer instinct I still wish for the day to come when rare or someone that bought the license off of rare to announce a Killer instinct 3.
^^(PM)^
Seconded.

Offline b.easy

• Global Moderator
  • Last Login:December 01, 2022, 11:28:07 PM
Here's a summary of the entire game, level-by-level. It talks about the weapons and gameplay concepts, too.

http://www.nofrag.com/images/00434d/

It actually sounded like a pretty fun game.

Offline KudosForce

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:April 18, 2011, 07:01:38 PM
    • Email
Here's a summary of the entire game, level-by-level. It talks about the weapons and gameplay concepts, too.

http://www.nofrag.com/images/00434d/

It actually sounded like a pretty fun game.

The bit with Duke scoring with the Holsom twins while playing his own video game sounds like an epic win.  :D
Mission complete!

-Rolento

92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:February 23, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
Thanks for that vid I also came accross vast amounts of resources from DNF. Some guy on a warez forum uploaded leaked screenshots of alot of 3D relms model assets and gameplay footage from DNF. I mean they even went as far as modeling and skinning a pod girl (topless btw). You know those girls that had the alien grime all over and they were naked and kept saying kill me in Duke 3D. Well they were fully mapped/skinned/modeled. Also most of the enemies/levels/weapons were skinned and modeled aswell. From all the screenshots it looked like they were only another year from an actual release date.

If someone gets all the models/codes from 3D realms they can have the game out in no longer then 2 years. I mean from all the screenshots I literally just obtained in the last 30 minutes it looked damn near complete.

I mean some of the enemies in the game look amazing. If anyone wants all the stuff I will upload them but I need to get the guy to reupload the gameplay footage because those got corrupted. But the screenshots are fully intact and look amazing.

Small sample of what I got : 56 K warning

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

EDIT2: BTW the holsom twins have been modeled but not skinned.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:14:43 PM by xPreatorianx »

• Contributor
  • WELCOME TO DIE!!!
    • Violent Ken's site
    • Email
dunno if anyone saw this or not, but...
http://kotaku.com/5247608/duke-nukem-forever-gameplay-footage
Damn, I just watched that and that looks cool as hell. That's a real shame it got canceled. T_T

Offline Dissidia

• Newage Mugen Admin &
  • Stage Creator
  • Last Login:April 28, 2024, 09:18:32 PM
  • Neigh
    • Skype - dissidia.mugen
    • Dissidia Creations
    • Email

• Contributor
  • WELCOME TO DIE!!!
    • Violent Ken's site
    • Email
I don't really think it is. I mean Duke has a huge fan base as it is. If they wanted to draw attention to the game, gametrailers is probably the best place to go. If it is, I don't care, I just want the game to come out.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:April 27, 2024, 07:01:29 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
Latest in the rumor mill is that 3DRealms shut down because the game is done and it planned to have a huge announcement about at E3 this year.

This is highly possible because a similar case happened late last year with Ensemble Studios. After Halo Wars was finished, the studio was shut down.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline .:K.I.N.G:.

• King &
  • Global Moderator
  • Last Login:May 16, 2013, 07:18:26 PM
  • Accepting All Challenges
it will get picked up by a different publisher sooner or later, that's if it isn't already finished and ready for a release.
I'm a Dude Playing a Dude, Disguised as Another Dude

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
Well like I said by all the screenshots/assets and leaked video's it looked damn near completion. Thats why im saying if it is not already completed another year or 2 and it will be completed with basically everyone working 12-16 hour shifts and polishing the heck out of it.

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:April 27, 2024, 07:01:29 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
Here's a statement from someone claiming to work at 3DRealms.

"Hi guys, I'm sat behind 4 proxys right now because I'm about to reval some very sensitive information at risk of being fired. I work at 3DRealms and first, no I'm not a troll. Second Duke Nukem Forever is not cancelled in any way, shape, or form. We have not had out funding pulled, TakeTwo just wants E3 to be big this year. The game is DONE. That's right it's done and the final version will have a demo at E3."

This was reported on this week's SideScrollers on Screwattack.com, however it was not reported on Hard News due to the fact that source of the post was from 4Chan.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
Well if the source was not edited to look professional I would buy it. That looks like a professional at the keyboard  with his punctuation and all. He took the time to do almost all forms of good grammar,punctuation, and stuff of that sort and people from 4chan and all other forums don't really care about that. So just by those small details I would buy it. Unless ofcourse it was edited to grammatically make sense.

Offline Whoblehwah

• Infinity Graphic Designer
  • Last Login:May 23, 2019, 04:17:10 PM
  • Waka waka doo doo yeah!
    • Email
Well, it certainly lived up to its title, unlike a certain fantasy series whose name doesn't need to be said. 8=|

It's better to have a DS trilogy than no new entries to the series at all. Making a guest appearance in the next Super Smash Bros. would do Duke a LOT of favors.

Still, it's disappointing to hear this. :(

The first Final Fantasy game was called Final Fantasy because it was supposed to be the producers last game. However, since it did so well he was able to continue making games, hence why Final Fantasy wasn't final, lol.

92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar