collapse

Author Topic: Mugen bets on Twitch  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
Re: Mugen bets on Twitch
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:53 PM »
You're right. The fighting game community historically ignores or has distaste for mugen. There's no money it in for the pros so right there it's a game for the layman. Then it requires so much work to get something out of the engine anyways, either by creating or gathering content. Anyone who tries to skip all that work just ends up with an OP, screwed up game such as that features on SaltyBet. So it has huge barries to get into the game anyways.

Offline Jesuszilla

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 08, 2015, 08:57:19 PM
  • I'm a fuffy.
    • Trinity MUGEN
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »
There can be money in it with the right team, barring the licensing and everything since Elecbyte doesn't seem to respond to those requests currently. There was that one game that used MUGEN's formats, so it likely used a modified IKEMEN or something of the sort; this is a game that sold for like $80 too, but I forget the name.

However, while there may not be money to made from the engine itself, my experience with it has proved to be invaluable to me, as it has led me to discover my strengths as a programmer, which led to my current career choice. MUGEN is a stepping stone for me, but a very good one nonetheless, which I'm sure is the case for many others. As such, I do find it unfair that many coders for the engine appear to be looked down upon by others, regardless of how little it compares to creating an actual application in a modern programming language, but that's comparing apples to oranges for the most part.

There is no template. Warusaki3 built on top of a similar character, just like Vans and I do.

Offline DarkValentine

• The Fanfic artist of M.U.G.E.N
  • Stage Creator
  • Last Login:September 06, 2020, 06:47:50 PM
  • The FanFic Artist of M.U.G.E.N
    • DV's Works
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:41 PM »
There can be money in it with the right team, barring the licensing and everything since Elecbyte doesn't seem to respond to those requests currently. There was that one game that used MUGEN's formats, so it likely used a modified IKEMEN or something of the sort; this is a game that sold for like $80 too, but I forget the name.

However, while there may not be money to made from the engine itself, my experience with it has proved to be invaluable to me, as it has led me to discover my strengths as a programmer, which led to my current career choice. MUGEN is a stepping stone for me, but a very good one nonetheless, which I'm sure is the case for many others. As such, I do find it unfair that many coders for the engine appear to be looked down upon by others, regardless of how little it compares to creating an actual application in a modern programming language, but that's comparing apples to oranges for the most part.

This is the very thing I was going to elaborate on. And let me explain why. Back in 2003, I was far into the Beats of Rage setting, and it was much more or less the same things that we face in the MUGEN community as a whole now. I ended up learning about MUGEN over at the DCEmulation forums, when some of the creations that are considered broken, started to first surface. Mugen-Infantry wasn't even in anyone's minds yet, and The Guild & Randomselect was at that point, the only known database that was legit. I was interested in MUGEN at the time, but nobody was informative enough to even sit down, and at least help me understand it. I was pretty much left to my own devices.

There were a LOT of people who had the mindset at that point, that the MUGEN community were nothing but elitists, that were too good to help anyone learn the inner workings of it, and was a community known to tell people to 'read the docs' all the time. There were a small number of people who actually wanted to help. When it came time to look at the community as a whole, most creators wondered why all the hate, when it was those that refused to explain much, that caused the backlash that we have been getting all this time.

I made a promise to myself from that point on, if I should step into the arena of creating something, I would be the person that was willing to help others along, where I either never got the help, or got turned down, due to "not reading the docs". I got my start years later, and never looked back. My stages may not be the best, but they appeal to a specific audience, and that's good enough for me. On top of the knowledge I came into the MUGEN community, from what I learned in the BOR Community, it allowed me to build my skills, while continuing to learn something new all the time. We all have learned something from the basics concepts and ways the engine can be used. And because of this, it has, as Jesuszilla said, became an experience that is invaluable. Anyone can do what we do, but it takes real determination to make it happen. And it takes practice to make what we do, shine above the rest.

To say that despite all the backlash, douchebaggery, and idiotic sensibilities we've encountered, faced and endured. To continue doing what has become a passion for us, and last this long, should really say something. I don't go by what the people outside of the community say. Because until those who are outside of the ranks of MUGEN actually take time, and create things like we do, then all arguments are 100% invalid.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:55:06 PM by DarkValentine »
"Today, your inevitable teaching. Tomorrow, your unavoidable Schooling - DarkValentine1984"

DV's Works

Offline Byronj

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 15, 2015, 01:30:32 AM
  • "Fight another day"
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2013, 02:29:53 AM »
This is the very thing I was going to elaborate on. And let me explain why. Back in 2003, I was far into the Beats of Rage setting, and it was much more or less the same things that we face in the MUGEN community as a whole now. I ended up learning about MUGEN over at the DCEmulation forums, when some of the creations that are considered broken, started to first surface. Mugen-Infantry wasn't even in anyone's minds yet, and The Guild & Randomselect was at that point, the only known database that was legit. I was interested in MUGEN at the time, but nobody was informative enough to even sit down, and at least help me understand it. I was pretty much left to my own devices.

There were a LOT of people who had the mindset at that point, that the MUGEN community were nothing but elitists, that were too good to help anyone learn the inner workings of it, and was a community known to tell people to 'read the docs' all the time. There were a small number of people who actually wanted to help. When it came time to look at the community as a whole, most creators wondered why all the hate, when it was those that refused to explain much, that caused the backlash that we have been getting all this time.

I made a promise to myself from that point on, if I should step into the arena of creating something, I would be the person that was willing to help others along, where I either never got the help, or got turned down, due to "not reading the docs". I got my start years later, and never looked back. My stages may not be the best, but they appeal to a specific audience, and that's good enough for me. On top of the knowledge I came into the MUGEN community, from what I learned in the BOR Community, it allowed me to build my skills, while continuing to learn something new all the time. We all have learned something from the basics concepts and ways the engine can be used. And because of this, it has, as Jesuszilla said, became an experience that is invaluable. Anyone can do what we do, but it takes real determination to make it happen. And it takes practice to make what we do, shine above the rest.

To say that despite all the backlash, douchebaggery, and idiotic sensibilities we've encountered, faced and endured. To continue doing what has become a passion for us, and last this long, should really say something. I don't go by what the people outside of the community say. Because until those who are outside of the ranks of MUGEN actually take time, and create things like we do, then all arguments are 100% invalid.

Word  ^^(PM)^

Team Destiny:

"Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart."

-Marcus Aelius Aurelius

Offline ExShadow

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 03, 2023, 07:30:21 PM
  • Get serious.
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2013, 02:37:22 PM »
»ĐΣΛTĦŞTØRM«

Offline vio

• Last Login:September 23, 2014, 01:46:29 PM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 10:47:10 PM »
You're right. The fighting game community historically ignores or has distaste for mugen. There's no money it in for the pros so right there it's a game for the layman. Then it requires so much work to get something out of the engine anyways, either by creating or gathering content. Anyone who tries to skip all that work just ends up with an OP, screwed up game such as that features on SaltyBet. So it has huge barries to get into the game anyways.

Thanks to saltybet I found out about mugen at the start of this month, while I agree there are a lot of op characters there they are not always like that. Saltybet actually has a tier system thats dependant on how good the characters are, P,B,A,S and X tier in order of how good they are. P tier are the worst of the worst characters out there and X tier are the most broken op characters. B tier are average characters while A and S tier are decent characters with good AI systems. A character in any of those tiers need to either win 10 rounds or lose 10 rounds to either be promoted or relegated to another tier. The only problem with A and S tiers are the characters with one hit KO's and so far I have at least 50 of them listed however that list may include some x tiers too as I didn't list them under tiers only by their names.

The betting system is fake cash, also called salty bucks which is kind of bad as its leading people into gambling more unless they have a good mind themselves and know the issues behind it so they wont fall into that hole. Saltybet does make some money from its viewers from those who pay a sub fee to help the guy who runs the site keep running it for some bonus's. access to a private forum, extra cash when you wipe out and the best part of it I saw was the arcade area which allows you to input the commands yourself to play as the character randomly selected for you to play, which nets you 10k salty bucks if you win.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal