collapse

Author Topic: BROKENmugen 1.0 WIP Release Thread, HELP NEEDED!!  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Saikoro

• Initiate
  • Last Login:August 25, 2019, 06:13:40 AM
  • Play it LOUD!!
BROKENmugen 1.0 WIP Release Thread, HELP NEEDED!!
« on: June 18, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
I would like to welcome all of you to my first genuine WIP for Mugen 1.0.  ;D

I have to say that this is quite an exciting endeavor as Broken Mugen is, without a doubt, one of the best WinMugen Screenpacks available. The problem is that there were many attempts to convert, or even trick, Broken Mugen into running on 1.0 with failed visual results. The ShinHado (as viewed here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8ctLREyzZI#) attempted to run Broken Mugen on 1.0 RC8, but the Local Coordinates had to be kept to 320x240 voiding Mugen's ability to showcase higher resolutions. There were also some misalignment issues with fonts and layout elements that were bothersome as clearly evidenced in his video.

And this got me thinking.... why not convert Broken Mugen, with full permission from Two4Teezee of course, to fully run on 1.0?? The most tedious part was converting the ENTIRE system.def file by doubling the resolution on every 700+ pcx file, along with some lengthy re-coding of coordinates and realigning a couple of things here and there. In the end, it runs beautifully in 640x480.

But why only 640x480?? I pondered with the idea of blowing everything to a full 1920x1080. But blowing things up too much would result in a highly pixelated look that I thought was unnecessary. Also, just about every single Screenpack that was recently released for 1.0 runs in 640x480 by default. Also on the plate was keeping file sizes to a minimum for easy uploading once this is finished.

Here are some mandatory screenshots that showcase specific 1.0 Characters, 1.0 specific Stages and High Resolution Stages.

And here we have comparison shots from the Select Screen between 1.0 and WinMugen. The portraits that are shown are NOT the now possible 240x280 with 300 resolution. What you see are stock 120x140 with 140 resolution. A few of them are made personally!! This is one of my favorite features in 1.0 as I love detailed portraits. I'm also looking to release compilation portrait packs down the road that feature what is seen here.

Here is the 48 Slot.def in 1.0 for all of you minimalists:

....as compared to the original....

Here we have the expanded 312 slots in 1.0 for collectors:

....as compared to the original 273....

Lastly, here is the expanded 882 slot screen for compilation lunatics such as myself:

....as opposed to the original 693....

Here's the sharper looking Options Screen....

....while compared to the pixelated original....

Lastly, the VS Screen....

The idea was to keep modifications subtle so it doesn't take away from Two4Teezee's original release. I wasn't going to be like "Here's all of this new crap that I wanted to include." Rather, I just wanted to get Broken Mugen running for 1.0 properly as Mugen really needs more releases like this.

Now, there were a couple of issues that came about with converting to 1.0. The reason I posted this as a WIP was that I wanted to iron out these problems with help from community feedback. I want this to be 100% completed as opposed to 95% before releasing anything. I feel that Two4Teezee deserves a proper homage for all of the amazing work he originally did.

The first problem, that annoyed me the most of all of them, is the Win Text overlay. No matter how many times I tried to come to a solution through trial and error through .def file modification, the Winner's name would not appear as it should have.

This is what it looks like for Single Wins:

And here is what it looks like for Team Wins:

I was thinking of just showcasing "Winner" with "Get Ready for the Next Battle" right under it, but again, I want this to be as close to the original release as possible. Not having the name there feels odd and looks out of place. I am currently working on making this animated by toying around with some "win.anim" options. Although what I'm working on isn't 100% faithful to the original, I believe that its the best way to go.

The next detail that I would like to be fixed is the overlay with the Combo Counter. In WinMugen, the "Combo Hits" portion was fixed as the numbers scrolled. Now its the exact opposite. Here's a pair of screens that showcase how it "wiggles." I tried lots of ways to re-fit the layout in Font Factory along with recoding using the provided Elecbyte stock Code that came with 1.0. Although I would like this to be fixed, it's certainly a passable nuance.

You can see that the text shifts around to the Right. It looks solid as it is now, but I want "Combo Hits" to remain stationery.

Lastly, the SINGLE/SIMUL/TURN Font overlay on the Select Screen is stubborn and will not align properly. Here's what it looks like with one player:

And two players....

I cant get the fonts to align properly regardless of what I try. I'm instead looking to put a cursor in place of the failed font overlay. I should have something presentable within the next couple of weeks.

So there you have it. Broken Mugen fully running 100% on 1.0 with a few hiccups that make it feel more like 98.7%. Input and feedback with these issues would be greatly appreciated as I want to make sure every possible Bug and Overlay issue is resolved. Completely. I actually refuse to make this public until I can solve or work around these issues.

Posts are preferred and PM's are welcome. Thanks so much for viewing!!

Sincerely, as a longtime member of Mugen-Infantry,
-Saikoro
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:50:34 PM by Saikoro »

Offline Uche_of_IMT

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:May 01, 2024, 10:25:51 AM
  • The fighting spirit lives in the fans of M.U.G.E.N
    • Email
Re: BROKENmugen 1.0 WIP Release Thread, HELP NEEDED!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 08:00:24 AM »
Good luck, Saikoaro.

You'll need it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:41:40 PM by ATiC3 »
92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature.

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:49 AM »
I've been waiting for this ever since 1.0 came out!

Offline Saikoro

• Initiate
  • Play it LOUD!!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 07:38:14 AM »
Here's a long, overdue post to progress that has been made...

I went in and added in some coding fixes that adjust where selected Characters names appear for teams of two or more. Here's a pair of shots that showcase how names now scroll vertically instead of downward. I think it is a welcome fix. Check it out....

And the most nagging issues have been fully resolved with some clever workarounds....

Here is the "Winner" Graphic Animation overlay. Check it out.

Each letter animation has 4 frames of animation lasting 4 ticks each, finishing with flickers between Snow and Solid, as seen below (Snow).

Below are some Mode Select Screen components. "Single/Simul/Turns" is now animated and flickers intermittently. I actually used the old font overlay as a template for each animation frame. Consider that no new items have been implemented as everything is being used from existing elements.

Here's the Mode Cursor Animation Overlay. This is animated to flicker between Snow and Solid, just like "Winner." Very cool looking!!

With "Mode" now being used as a cursor, I didn't want the screen to be flooded with animations that looked too busy or similar. Therefore, a slightly darker static was applied to "Mode" as opposed to "Single/Simul/Turns." The animation now appears without being too overwhelming. I think it's a welcome change while compared to the original.

And a few examples of what it looks like in motion....

To make 1P and 2P sides appear distinctive, both sides actually have the same animation looping with P2's side coded backwards. Typing/Copying everything twice for this specific animation was interesting to say the least....

I'm happy to report that everything is progressing nicely, if not a bit slower than I would like. Final touches on the 120 select screen are being implemented before sending the package for further detailing by Two4Teezee.

I hope everyone enjoys these welcome changes as they are wild in action!!

Post Merge: July 07, 2011, 09:36:53 PM
I'm VERY happy to announce that all of you will now have the additional option of a 120 Slot Select Screen!!

I literally just finished this up 15 minutes prior to posting here. The most TEDIOUS part was finding the right amount of slots to fit the screen without too much clutter and proper resolutions to accommodate these changes. I included 24 Slots by 5 Rows. Here's a couple of example screens showing alignment.

Here's a Team Example so that you can see the "Cursor Done" Static. Everything is aligned perfectly!!

**Don't mind Hulk's smaller portrait. BrokenMugen's default Scaling is now set to .5 and Hulk's portrait uses the old 120x140 resolution. Spawn uses the now standard 240x280 resolution. For the uninitiated, you can set the scaling to suit whatever your portrait preference size is.

Lastly, here's a shot showing the gradient template I devised for this new Select Screen. I didn't go the lazy way as I included empty "Border Slots" to give this more of a genuine feel. Anything simpler would have looked unprofessional.

I hope fans of smaller rosters will enjoy this addition. I'm very excited!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 09:36:53 PM by Saikoro »

Offline Uche_of_IMT

• Infinity Faithful
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:57:28 AM »
I know I will enjoy it.
92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature.

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »
YOOOOO i remember when i had the original version of this! I love what you done graphically in overhauling this baby. great job and i think i will get this one . days of yesterday i tell ya but with sharper graphics.

Oh and a good question too, does this support those good resolution intros as well?  [-O<

Offline Saikoro

• Initiate
  • Play it LOUD!!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 01:02:11 PM »
All of the original intros and endings remain unchanged. Upping resolutions on any of these items would have been redundant as they look fantastic without changes.

So Yup, there in there!!

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
 :thumbsup: sounds good to me then. win!

Offline boogerboy

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:January 24, 2024, 09:33:01 AM
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »
Oh, and one more thing, can you add the feature to add boss characters to this screenpack? It would be cool.
Game on!

Offline Saikoro

• Initiate
  • Play it LOUD!!
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 05:55:43 AM »
What exactly do you mean?? Isn't this possible through the select .def??

Offline two4teezee

• Last Login:October 13, 2011, 12:22:23 AM
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 06:18:25 PM »
Sai, maybe you should change the title of the post now... I think we have a pretty good handle on all of it, don't we?

In case you didn't all get what Sai was saying, this will be an official update of my work. He did a lot of really good work on this and that inspired me.

I was gone from the scene for a long time. All this talk about vyx meant nothing to me, I was gone for it all. I google'd it and just... wow.

Anyway, thanks to him and the others that were involved with defacing my work, I feel like making a few waves.

Hmm...

That looks alright I think  ;D You should see it in motion though...

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »
It looks awesome! Fits perfectly.  XD||

Offline two4teezee

• Email
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 12:48:33 AM »
Been a bit since I updated this, work is coming along just fine...

A few random things shown below inside the spoiler.

(click to show/hide)

Offline GrayFox

• Last Login:August 31, 2020, 03:38:43 AM
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:51:58 AM »
Very impressive project man and everything looks like a winner!

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »
Impressive!  XD||

Since you're making a new intro, you should add all main Fighting Game companies still active, instead of just Capcom, SNK and Midway. Speaking of which, Midway should be replaced by Netherrealm Studios.

Offline Uche_of_IMT

• Infinity Faithful
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »
 @^@

Offline OrangeLightning

• Initiate
  • Last Login:September 06, 2018, 01:58:49 PM
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
 ^:)^

Offline TheSnackist

• Last Login:February 09, 2014, 05:40:52 AM
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »
Wow, this looks very near completion!

Offline two4teezee

• Email
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 01:37:15 PM »
Just wanted to announce that bM 1.0 is going into final beta test as we wrap up final issues and make some fine-tuning for the final release. The SP will definitely be released in September, stay tuned... we've got some exciting things brewing as we near the finish line =)

Offline boogerboy

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:January 24, 2024, 09:33:01 AM
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
Well, thank goodness it's September so I can't wait for this.
Game on!

Offline Kabazz

• Last Login:February 16, 2016, 03:14:07 AM
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 12:29:32 AM »
This is awesome. I haven't played Mugen in a long time, but when I used to I always used the BrokenMugen screenpack. To me, it's the most original screenpack around and truly brings a unique feel to the game. If there ever was a video game made like Mugen, where all the big video game companies worked as one, to bring all these different video game characters together in one complete game, I'd like to think that they would use a theme that was neutral to the characters and brought its own style. BrokenMugen has it's own style.

When this is finally released, I will start playing Mugen again, built from the ground up on 1.0. I can not tell you how excited I am for this and appreciate all the effort, great job so far.

Now this is when someone burst my bubble and tells me BrokenMugen is in fact inspired from another game...

Offline two4teezee

• Email
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
Now this is when someone burst my bubble and tells me BrokenMugen is in fact inspired from another game...

It's not. bM has its own unique style that's inspired from film and music and art. The main inspirations are actually credited in the credit roll/readme, and I can say Grindhouse was the muse when I put bM together way back when. The only video game inspiration was for the lifebars, which were loosely inspired by KOF98. The lifebars were released before the SP as "broken98" and a modified set of the lifebars which now included the static elements were included in the SP. If you didn't know, now you know  (:|

Thanks for your enthusiasm for bM, I think it'll live up to your memories  ;D

Offline GrayFox

• Last Login:August 31, 2020, 03:38:43 AM
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 07:55:28 AM »
Being a screen pack creator myself, I must say I'm truly impress again. Your screen pack is what got me into mugen, now you are bringing back those feelings. Thanks!, now I have another fire to finish all my wips.

Offline Saikoro

• Initiate
  • Play it LOUD!!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 08:30:29 PM »
Impressive!  XD||

Since you're making a new intro, you should add all main Fighting Game companies still active, instead of just Capcom, SNK and Midway. Speaking of which, Midway should be replaced by Netherrealm Studios.

That's an interesting observation. But remember that Netherrealm is a bit too specific to say characters from all things Midway. Lots of Mugen creations are from Midway's heyday with likes of Killer Instinct and all of the classic MK games. No worries Magma, its going to be killer. The most recent build is amazing. And it's not even done!!

Expect greatness soon!!

Offline soniku2

• Initiate
  • Last Login:October 08, 2017, 04:54:34 PM
  • Bang!Bang!Bang! Damn that feels good!
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »
I'm looking forward to this greatness. Can you release this probably tommorow, or thursday. That would be great.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
[5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal