collapse

Author Topic: General Mugen Q&A  (Read 1277 times)

Offline The Rippah, Roo'Jizah Panzermanathod

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:December 02, 2009, 03:48:41 PM
  • No place for Panzer to call home.
    • Email
General Mugen Q&A
« on: February 14, 2008, 01:34:21 AM »
This thread is simply the often asked questions that many people ask over and over again, and the answers usually aren't in one place made specifically for those questions.

Until now.

This isn't meant to be a "how to" thread, although a few questions may be like that. However, this is *not* a tutorial thread.

I tried to make this Q&A fairly neutral in tone. This means I will avoid one sided answers that would clearly be anti- or pro- anything (or Skub, for those who get it). If you got something, why not post it?

Q: Will Hi-Res Characters work in Normal Mugen?

A: Yes, they do. In fact, outside of certain full games, Mugen characters will work in any form or mugen (although DOS mugen characters need Dos2Win to be used in Winmugen).

Q: What is Hi-Res Mugen?

A: Mugen with support for Higher resolution stages and select screens. Nothing more. There are two other variations that have only support for Hi-Res select screens, or only support for Hi-Res stages.

Q: What is WinMugen Plus?

A: A hack of the Hi-res select screen only Mugen  that allows for Hi-res select screens and support for both Hi- and Lo- Res stages.

Q: Why don't Hi-Res stages look right in Winmugen plus?

A: You need to put "HIres = 1" under [StageInfo] in the stage's .def file. Otherwise, they won't display right.

Q: The Hi-Res Characters look blocky on Normal Mugen!

A: You don't have Doubleres = 4 activated. That must be changed in your mugen.cfg file.

Q: What's warehousing?

A: Uploading creations without the original author's consent.

Q: Is warehousing bad/ Why do people think it's bad?

A: This is something where there is no one true answer, regardless of what some would say. However, making threads about this is usually taboo, so it's best to come to your own conclusion. In short, however, some say it's bad because the warehouser hosts things without the creator's consent. But there are arguments for and against warehousing that are outside the scope of this thread.

Q: My Mugen had some music problems.

A: Yeah, it happens. From what I've heard, though, Mugen seems to play .ogg files rather well. Get yourself a .ogg plugin and some .ogg music, as that may help.

Q: I need a movelist for a character.

A: If a character does not come with a move list, or if it's unreadable, find and right click a character's .cmd file. In it, you will see all the combinations for moves.

Q: DF? X? Command file confuses me so!

A: It's not hard to understand the lettering used in .cmd files. Going clockwise, starting from Up, is U, UF, F(orward), DF, D(own), DB, B(ack), UB. A, B, C, X, Y, and Z are your attack buttons, *not* buttons on a keyboard.

Q: Will you make me a character?

A: Unless someone is nice enough to help you (but, usually, not do everything), or you pay (Borghi got paid to do Maxine), you aren't going to get your character. And no begging or pleading. That makes it worse.

Q: Can I take something from an existing character and make something?

A: Depends on who you ask, what you're taking, and from where you're taking it. You *can* just take someone's stuff and do whatever you want without permission, and then release it. But this is usually looked down upon.

Q: What's Winmugen3?

A:  :-??

Q: Mugen Infantry is down! What happened?

A: They get outflanked by server problems fairly often. No reason to post a topic in another forum about it.

Q: How do I record Mugen videos?

A: There are a number of programs to record videos with. Camtasia, Camstudio, Hypercam, Fraps, Guncam, Snag It, etc. You should shop around, as a program that works well for one may not work well for another.

Q: My mugen runs slow when I record.

A: You will have to record with a smaller screen, and make sure no active programs are running at the moment. Also, play with some of the quality settings.

Q: Where do I find (insert char name here)?

A: Any number of places. If it's online,  <_<|google|. Some forums will let you ask who made what in "Does this exist?" styled threads, and others have Databases to search for characters in, as well as Mugen Wiki, Mustkillroy's, and Judgespear's databases. There's also Esnips and 4Shared. Should you have problems finding a character (*not* after 5-20 minutes), use the Request section.

With that being said, make sure the character has actually been made first. When you make a request, the best proof is an actual video. Simple sprites or .gif files prove nothing, and shouldn't be used, and still shots carry their own risk, considering some will make fake screenshots, like this:

(((This is from someone else's Photobucket account. If this isn't allowed, I'll host it myself)))

Simply be careful with what you use to show people what you're requesting.  Also note that not all forums have designated request areas. This means DO NOT REQUEST IN THAT FORUM.

Q: Aren't Esnips and 4Shared warehousing sites?

A: That would entail that they were made for the sole purpose of warehousing, whereas these are file uploading sites, and people upload characters. Used for warehousing and warehousing sites are two different things.

Q: Is [character] rare?

A: Rarity cannot be placed on simple, intangible data and pictures that can easily be copied. If you do not have it, or can't find it, that doesn't mean it's rare, it just means you haven't found it.

Q: How do I put [character from a full game] into normal mugen?

A: Usually, *if* you actually are able to take files out of a Mugen Full game (as some games are fully contained in an .exe file, instead of readily accessible folders and files in normal mugen), there's a good chance they won't work in normal Mugen, because full game characters usually have some sort of additional coding unique to the characters in that game. With these differences in mind, normal Mugen may not be able to correctly load up a character without some sort of error. Unless you know how to take out and change the coding normal Mugen has trouble with, you will just have to realize that you can't use the character outside the Full Game.

Q: How do I perform AOAO Jam's bed super?

A: Look up "How to do AOAO Jam's bed super in Mugen" on You Tube, and you'll see the video telling you how.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 02:01:30 AM by Wujizah Ma'FDoom Panzermanathod »

Punctuation and capitalization can make the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse," and, "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."

92% of people have moved onto rap. If you're part of the 8% who thinks rap isn't music, sucks to be you.

Most newer stuff sucks, though.

Offline ♦ßlôödÑinjå♦

• Bloody
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:April 01, 2015, 12:04:14 PM
    • Little Infinity
Re: General Mugen Q&A
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:40:29 AM »
 =D> Great way to help out.

Come Chat with Us @ IMT_MUGEN_TEAM chat group - The greatest Hangout for all Mugen related Discussions.
(click to show/hide)

I don't Always browse Mugen Forums but when i do i browse Infinity. - Anthony

Offline cHoMp

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 16, 2021, 01:40:37 PM
  • VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!!
    • PM!. El Power Mexicano
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:49:57 AM »
Q: What's Mugen Plus?

Q: Why my hi-res stage won't work well with Mugen Plus?

8)

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:59:56 AM »
I already had something on What's Winmugen plus, chomp. Thank's anyway.
Punctuation and capitalization can make the difference between "I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse," and, "I helped my uncle jack off a horse."

92% of people have moved onto rap. If you're part of the 8% who thinks rap isn't music, sucks to be you.

Offline MuηkyMØÜf

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:June 16, 2014, 08:36:08 PM
  • I don't play games, I fight for real!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 02:08:02 AM »
 :D

Where do I find HR Chars/Stages?

How do I keep music from skipping?

How can I increase/decrease a finished chars AI?

How do you install lifebars/screenpacks that arent all in one folders?

*some questions Ive had myself recently you could add. pretty common i think. I see others ask the same in some other forums.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:02:21 PM by MunkyMouf »
<~Rage
Pr. Luchador~>

Offline Tenspeed

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:February 23, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
  • I f**k*** <3 Capcom!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 02:10:28 AM »
"outflanked by server problems"

hilarious!

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 10:08:27 PM »
Hey, could someone sticky this? I'd rather this not fall into the depths of the forum.

Offline dragonesku

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:February 24, 2010, 06:08:41 PM
  • Fo' shizzle my nizzle
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 02:55:03 AM »
Very helpful as always Panzer. btw, how's everything at THE dude?

haven't been there in a while, since they only host stuff from their team and all... :|

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
 ^^(PM)^

One question to insert there:

"Where did I find (insert char name here) char?"

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:18:18 AM »
Very helpful as always Panzer. btw, how's everything at THE dude?

haven't been there in a while, since they only host stuff from their team and all... :|

Haven't been there in a while myself, although you'll see me at Citrics site.

Offline dragonesku

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:February 24, 2010, 06:08:41 PM
  • Fo' shizzle my nizzle
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 09:50:38 PM »
 >:-(-|

Yeah, I don't know what happened over at THE. Zodiac seem to have just... disappeared, and all of their projects came to a halt.

ps
You may or may not remember me as "Maxxcamelo" over there, but I remember you as a mod back in the good ol' days.

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 10:53:18 PM »
Yes, Maxxcamelo sounds familiar, although I don't believe I was ever a mod there.

Offline Lightblackheart

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 03, 2014, 10:33:27 PM
  • infinity's personal Dimentional Jester
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 06:35:42 PM »
LOL at fata** dizzy  :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie :DxDie

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 13, 2024, 11:35:44 AM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »

How do you install lifebarsscreenpacks that arent all in one folders?

*some questions Ive had myself recently you could add. pretty common i think. I see others ask the same in some other forums.

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 02:53:21 AM »

How do you install lifebarsscreenpacks that arent all in one folders?

Hey, he edited that post on me when I wasn't looking. For shame, munky.

Where to find HR stuff falls under "Where do I find (insert char name here) char", music had also been answered, although I've forgotten to add more to it (later, though. It's too late).

And, as far as character AI goes, I said on my first post that this is not meant to be a tutorial thread, so I'm avoiding tutorial type stuff.

Besides, I don't know how to code AI.

Offline nick09

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 21, 2011, 10:16:38 PM
    • Nick09's creations
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 11:01:41 AM »
Sticked the Thread. 8)

It will be very useful. :)

Offline MuηkyMØÜf

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:June 16, 2014, 08:36:08 PM
  • I don't play games, I fight for real!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 12:03:54 AM »
Hey, he edited that post on me when I wasn't looking. For shame, munky.
:DxDie
Where to find HR stuff falls under "Where do I find (insert char name here) char", music had also been answered, although I've forgotten to add more to it (later, though. It's too late).

And, as far as character AI goes, I said on my first post that this is not meant to be a tutorial thread, so I'm avoiding tutorial type stuff.

Besides, I don't know how to code AI.

Opps, I guess I need to get glasses <_<|...| I was never really good at comprehension anyway.
<~Rage
Pr. Luchador~>

Offline malisiousjoe

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:November 27, 2011, 10:33:23 PM
  • Stop your crying!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 08:43:27 PM »
"outflanked by server problems"

hilarious!
Agreed!!!

BTW I changed to winmugen3 and my mugen does work better although I can't answer what the difference is.

Thanks DG!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[Today at 01:25:51 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar