collapse

Author Topic: KOF XIV discussion thread  (Read 12402 times)

Offline sky79

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 19, 2022, 11:31:05 AM
  • Real players and makers share.
Re: KOF XIV Announced
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 07:10:36 PM »
Glad to see my ladies back..... Just wish it was in a different game  :-??
Keep Mugen Free

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 07:41:53 AM »
Give them a break dude, they are definitely improving the game.

EDIT: www.mmcafe.com/cgi-bin/forums/bbs/messages/13571.shtml#72069
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:42:37 AM by Magma Dragoon MK-II »

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
Well they need to improve those graphics too while they so called at it. The internet memes are having a field day with the game. lol. Gameplay wise its lookin up but can tell it gots some stiffness to it and added that some frames are skippy. I rather it be a kof MI3 than a new kof base game. But i still gonna keep an eye on it since i am a kof fan.

Offline sky79

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 11:24:29 AM »
"Back in our days, the Neo Geo had restrictiona and we only had the option of going by pixel art. But even back then, there were high-quality 3D games like "Virtua Fighter", and it was certainly something I wanted to try if we had a good PCB. 2D pixel art is still something that remains as a culture, and I know there's a lot of people that like them. I like them too. But on the other hand as a developer, there's always the unconfortable feeling that there's no tomorrow if you can't keep up with the times, the progress, and new technology. So it's a hard decision."
I find that truly sad.

Right there. That tells me all I need to know. They've no faith in their product. Rather then stand on their own merit and proven legacy. They've already hi-Res'ed half the roster in the last game, it would cost less to just finish what they've already started,so after 3 bankruptcies, they're still bleeding cash chasing after other franchises. What if 'Visual Concepts' brings back 'Clay Fighters' and its a hit? Will we see a stop-motion KOF too? It's ridiculous, this man should be fired.   

I rather it be a kof MI3 than a new kof base game.

^^(PM)^
Keep Mugen Free

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »
You know what tho sky79? ....i am gonna be serious and say he has a portionable point. That bold black you done does speak both bad and good in truth. Cause as devs you MUST keep up with the times and tech, yes, but i do not agree with his method he put into the outcome of the game.  Its like they decided to poop out something quick to grasp kof fans rather than focus on what got them their recognition. He is trying to capitalize on the todays new gen graphics but done them no justice. Smh

Now if he was SMART he should have steered it into the direction that actually fits KOF which is HD like guilty gear previous and now or went a blazblue,  under night in birth, DBFC , persona 4 arena style sprites. Now those engulf the " Anime " look which fits KOF. I watched the kof short movie.....they should have went HR//Hd sprites instead of this way. 

Now where i can agree with him on todays outlook of "retro 2d" yeah its more held higher in esteem and respect for Nostalgics like ....us. If you dont believe in your product then your not gonna put passion and love what your doin to sell and create something outstanding as this should be and not......this. Hell i would take 3d cell shaded ( no roids please ) anime style look in pixels than what they crappin out.  I love 3d to death and i love hr hd 2d just as much. Could have 3d modeled but cell shaded these joints and made the frames smooth and hr fx and it would be platinum Gold!

Ok rant over and yes man ....its ps2 Kof MI3! lol. They need to not go for realism or tryin to keep up with sf5 look cause it aint workin in their favor. A GG Xrd style but kof character porportions would been superior.

Offline sky79

• Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 11:07:17 AM »
Totally agree Crom.

And to your nostalgia point; The clearly low quality in the new 3D models would actually work for a MI3 release. You and I see SF3 or GG hi res sprites as nostalgic, kids now might just see this the same way. They might remember the old MI, see this and think that's what they're going for, throw in some early 2000's humor, and this might work.

Bring the storylines to their conclusion, throw in a few more Fighter's History characters (Ray & Feilin damn it!) and they've really got something here. Heck, they had Mizoguchi in Regulation-A. 
(click to show/hide)

2D still has a strong presence in fighting games, BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma is an undeniable hit, and SNK's KOF12 brought forth a style uniquely theirs. It would work. But, you know what would be awesome? Cut a deal with Capcom and add a SF character team to sweeten the pot. 
(click to show/hide)
Keep Mugen Free

Offline novasod

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 30, 2017, 08:29:00 PM
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »
No offense, but I don't think everyone is getting their priorities straight here. Sure, it'd be nice if the game looked nice, but that's not what's really important here. It's the gameplay and the characters that make KoF, and from what I've seen, all of that looks top-notch, especially this early into development. When it comes to what really matters, this could rank up with the greatest KoF's out there.

That said, I understand where you're all coming from here to some extent. After all, KoF XIII was still 2D and it looked amazing, so why not just stick to 2D? The problem is that, since they'd likely have to make the game for the PS4 instead of the PS3, people would be expecting new and even better graphics instead of just reusing the same old ones from the PS3, and the sprites for KoF XII/XIII already took 5 years and a ton of moolah to finish. Part of this was because they made the 3D models first and then drew over them, which made for amazing animation, but at the cost of taking so long that they had to whip out KoF XII in an unfinished state just to have something to show, and then it still took them a year or two to finish everything up for KoF XIII. They also had to reduce the roster size and the movesets for many characters because of just how long it took to make everything. When it comes to sheer practicality, 2D -- or at least the rotoscoping method they used -- probably wasn't the best route to go.

Now, by just making 3D models as opposed to spriting over them, they have more time to add in more moves and, more importantly, add in more characters. It may not look as nice, but it's more cost-efficient and less time-consuming than using rotoscoping. In fact, the game's been in development since Spring 2014, and SNK has stated that they're already 70% through development, so it seems that going 3D was, from a practical standpoint, the best choice. And again, looking at gameplay videos and reading detailed analyses from those who have actually played the current build, the gameplay itself is more than up to snuff. At the least, you might want reserve judgement until you play the game, because by all counts, it looks like it'll be a heck of a time. Just don't expect it to be the best-looking game you'll ever play.

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
And even then, it's clear that the graphics are being improved little-by-little.

Offline novasod

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2015, 03:25:47 PM »
And even then, it's clear that the graphics are being improved little-by-little.

That too.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2015, 07:17:07 PM »
No offense, but I don't think everyone is getting their priorities straight here. Sure, it'd be nice if the game looked nice, but that's not what's really important here. It's the gameplay and the characters that make KoF, and from what I've seen, all of that looks top-notch, especially this early into development. When it comes to what really matters, this could rank up with the greatest KoF's out there.

That said, I understand where you're all coming from here to some extent. After all, KoF XIII was still 2D and it looked amazing, so why not just stick to 2D? The problem is that, since they'd likely have to make the game for the PS4 instead of the PS3, people would be expecting new and even better graphics instead of just reusing the same old ones from the PS3, and the sprites for KoF XII/XIII already took 5 years and a ton of moolah to finish. Part of this was because they made the 3D models first and then drew over them, which made for amazing animation, but at the cost of taking so long that they had to whip out KoF XII in an unfinished state just to have something to show, and then it still took them a year or two to finish everything up for KoF XIII. They also had to reduce the roster size and the movesets for many characters because of just how long it took to make everything. When it comes to sheer practicality, 2D -- or at least the rotoscoping method they used -- probably wasn't the best route to go.

Now, by just making 3D models as opposed to spriting over them, they have more time to add in more moves and, more importantly, add in more characters. It may not look as nice, but it's more cost-efficient and less time-consuming than using rotoscoping. In fact, the game's been in development since Spring 2014, and SNK has stated that they're already 70% through development, so it seems that going 3D was, from a practical standpoint, the best choice. And again, looking at gameplay videos and reading detailed analyses from those who have actually played the current build, the gameplay itself is more than up to snuff. At the least, you might want reserve judgement until you play the game, because by all counts, it looks like it'll be a heck of a time. Just don't expect it to be the best-looking game you'll ever play.
Ok i get your view and most def gameplay is the top priority in any game, thats a must have from the door. Much respect man on that big time.  Now that aside i know how long it takes to do high quality sprites, its not simple.....especially for a small team. Yes. Even for a large team its a train wreck. But again there is another viewpoint missing and thats this aint a ps2 or a 3. This is a ps4 and todays gamers like many look at graphics very seriously.  Remember its not just us nostalgia people who play these games, they make a lot more money on casuals and new purchasers more than niche fan bases who wax and wain cause if they only hoped it just would appeal tl the older gen gamers they wont make nearly as much as they truly want to.  Graphics as well can make and break a game just like gameplay does. I can tell you for dang sure no one i know in my large gaming circlemis gonna copp a ps4 and then throw down 60 plus dollars for a outdated in visual game. And they been playin since the begining of snk coming into the market.  As gen and tech gets better.... the games MUST equate up as well.

Sorry i am not droppin 400 plus for a console and still drop another 60 for a lesser  game that is no where near where by todays standards in games.....its dang near 2 gens back .....now tho I would drop the cash if its the gen console worthy.  If they stuck to strictly 2d sprites i would be fine with that ...long as its ramped up to equal out what i am paying for all around.  See... they are going into 3d realm gfx which is awesome but those gfx are hardly  up to Usf4.  if this was free , i wouldnt give too much to hardly a snare at the gfx being as they are....but its not free....they want my money...so i want better quality other than whats shown cause as stands i will play it but i aint gonna buy it cause its not beckoning me to purchase a ps4 to play it.  Thats how business is when your tryin to be exclusive to one console.

If people are fine with their gfx and pretty much just happy to get a new kof game, then cool, no problem and enjoy....but no one should fret  at others out here who even tho are just as big of fans, desire more for their hard earned cash.  Earn my money, dont give me whatever craziness this is right nlw as looks ( which is what i am only going by cause there may not be a serious change in gfx at this point which we all can just hope they touch this up plenty more and not just gfx wise but gameplay too.

Hell i wouldnt mind at all if they took more time to focus on the game and make it better. They should.  It would be  ( I pray ) much more worth it than as is. I ammgiving it time and the clock is tickin. I still say and agree with sky79 and a few others on many points and totally too .  I personally think 3d cell shaded would have been perfect and its far less time than spriting., 3d models could be cleaner and more pop worthy,  Andy looks like a chick ( big O made me laugh cause its true lol) .  Ok thats all sorry for  the notebook bro. #brofists
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:23:58 PM by C.R.O.M - Landeezy »

Offline novasod

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2015, 08:47:11 PM »
Ok i get your view and most def gameplay is the top priority in any game, thats a must have from the door. Much respect man on that big time.  Now that aside i know how long it takes to do high quality sprites, its not simple.....especially for a small team. Yes. Even for a large team its a train wreck. But again there is another viewpoint missing and thats this aint a ps2 or a 3. This is a ps4 and todays gamers like many look at graphics very seriously.  Remember its not just us nostalgia people who play these games, they make a lot more money on casuals and new purchasers more than niche fan bases who wax and wain cause if they only hoped it just would appeal tl the older gen gamers they wont make nearly as much as they truly want to.  Graphics as well can make and break a game just like gameplay does. I can tell you for dang sure no one i know in my large gaming circlemis gonna copp a ps4 and then throw down 60 plus dollars for a outdated in visual game. And they been playin since the begining of snk coming into the market.  As gen and tech gets better.... the games MUST equate up as well.

Sorry i am not droppin 400 plus for a console and still drop another 60 for a lesser  game that is no where near where by todays standards in games.....its dang near 2 gens back .....now tho I would drop the cash if its the gen console worthy.  If they stuck to strictly 2d sprites i would be fine with that ...long as its ramped up to equal out what i am paying for all around.  See... they are going into 3d realm gfx which is awesome but those gfx are hardly  up to Usf4.  if this was free , i wouldnt give too much to hardly a snare at the gfx being as they are....but its not free....they want my money...so i want better quality other than whats shown cause as stands i will play it but i aint gonna buy it cause its not beckoning me to purchase a ps4 to play it.  Thats how business is when your tryin to be exclusive to one console.

If people are fine with their gfx and pretty much just happy to get a new kof game, then cool, no problem and enjoy....but no one should fret  at others out here who even tho are just as big of fans, desire more for their hard earned cash.  Earn my money, dont give me whatever craziness this is right nlw as looks ( which is what i am only going by cause there may not be a serious change in gfx at this point which we all can just hope they touch this up plenty more and not just gfx wise but gameplay too.

Hell i wouldnt mind at all if they took more time to focus on the game and make it better. They should.  It would be  ( I pray ) much more worth it than as is. I ammgiving it time and the clock is tickin. I still say and agree with sky79 and a few others on many points and totally too .  I personally think 3d cell shaded would have been perfect and its far less time than spriting., 3d models could be cleaner and more pop worthy,  Andy looks like a chick ( big O made me laugh cause its true lol) .  Ok thats all sorry for  the notebook bro. #brofists

Again, I see where you're coming from, and I also understand the importance of graphics when it comes to bringing in new players. But even if it doesn't look good, that doesn't mean people should write it off for that alone, which is what seems to be happening here. If push came to shove, what would you rather have; a game that looks gorgeous but plays like crap, or a game that plays amazingly but looks like garbage? And I actually don't think KoFXIV looks that bad. From a stylistic standpoint, I actually think it looks better than USFIV. The characters certainty aren't as ugly for one thing.

But really, at this point, it's too early to tell either way. They've still got a year to finetune the graphics, and it's possible that they were holding off on that until the rest of the game was about finished up. I still don't think it will look amazing by any means, but that doesn't mean it can't be a taken up a few notches from where it currently is.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
Indeed it can go up a few more notches and i for 1 and hoping it does. Nahhhh i am not writing it off and yes folks out there are and i can see their viewpoints. I feel ya too bro and you made excellent points too.

I wouldnt get either game..... i am a consumer and a fan. I dont have disposible money either so i want the best bang for my hard earned (   :-$ and dont tell how i make my money from panhandling to senoir citizens.....oh crap.... o.O# lol ) bucks and change.
Trust me if i thought sfv looked corny i wouldnt buy it, if it played badly i wouldnt buy it.
At least equal it out , not expecting perfection but I want whats worth it.

Like i told my buddy .....i am thinkin business wise and consumer wise when comes to this day and era games more seriously than i usually do. Kof14 is by far not the ugliest game but i just see very subpar work done for a title that i care deeply about by a good company that for which is makin a ps4 exclusive. ....should come out swingin since kof13.

Its still got time tho so imma netflix and chill but i wish they do seriously make sure this isnt the final product gfx.....some them gameplays too. Its cool but its not shlwn worth to me to fet excited about buying . Not yet.  The visuals come up. ...then i am game cause it be much more worth me buyin a ps4 for just other than sfv as a fighting game.

I might be gettin senile cause i am old and cranky.  :D

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 10:27:08 AM »
&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:43:57 PM by DEMONKAI »

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 21, 2024, 10:58:34 AM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 07:49:59 PM »
It still looks a ps2 game

Offline ExeLord

• Smirking mage
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:March 22, 2024, 09:24:48 AM
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 04:27:09 AM »
Never joined the fray of bashing KOF14 for it's graphics, always thought it'll grow on me and it would've if I had PS4, not caring as I don't ;*)) If it was for PC - grabbed it instantly as graphics is last thing I care and gameplay promising to be nice.
What consumer society is?

"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Section Moderator
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »

KING OF DINOSAURS!!!!!!

Offline sky79

• Contributor
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
Looks like those therapy sections are doing King some good.

One day at a time   %%-
Keep Mugen Free

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Section Moderator
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »
The game is coming out looking a lot better than what I expected^^
Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2016, 10:19:13 PM »
Sorry I can't stand that Raul Julia look from Robert.

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2016, 03:52:25 AM »
Sorry I can't stand that Raul Julia look from Robert.
I love Robert  and always use him the most in kof 13 on down but this Roberts look.....I agree bruh. Raul Julia or Don Quan. Lol If this his look...which it is....I hope they give him a classic alt.

Offline sky79

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2016, 06:27:23 AM »
Don Quan.

I remember reading up on SNK's notes, he's based on a young Steven Seagal, with a 'ladies man' twist. If you think about it that way, it kinda fits. Don't get me wrong, I still think this whole thing is a mess. But this particular move makes sense.

Keep Mugen Free

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Take what you will from this.

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2016, 12:20:27 PM »
So they will use the 'parallel universe" card. How creative.

Offline ExeLord

• Smirking mage
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:March 22, 2024, 09:24:48 AM
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2016, 07:12:10 PM »
Yeah, I know where your sarcasm came from. Not that they hadn't aliens and ghosts already...

Wish at least in 14th installment they made Russian team and not containing cossack, bear and evil dictator in it, though with "half-naked boss" my hope of not containing last one is fading away... :( and we have boxers, strong grappling school, ressurected pagan martial art, military style and building shaolin temple with permission by head monk and teachers from there are coming... Bah, who am I kidding, they'll make evil dictator and will stop at that :(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 07:22:13 PM by ExeLord »
What consumer society is?

"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

SPIDER-VERSE THE AMAZING MUGENSTORY©EPISODE 10 "THE OTHERVERSE" 1080P BY REB3LTV by Rage
[March 27, 2024, 02:44:21 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[March 24, 2024, 11:09:37 AM]

Tree Of Erebus Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[March 22, 2024, 08:13:48 AM]

.Batzarro's. Sprite Edits by MatreroG
[March 20, 2024, 07:58:08 AM]

World Heroes 2 Shura Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[March 19, 2024, 12:44:28 PM]

MOVED: Prepare your ****! ***** Soldier gets his **** ready in MUGEN! by Rage
[March 18, 2024, 11:08:23 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista