collapse

Author Topic: Spriting Query - Differences between styles  (Read 686 times)

Offline Twinimage

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 06, 2020, 01:45:48 PM
Spriting Query - Differences between styles
« on: November 01, 2014, 08:32:21 PM »
Hello, this topic is toward anyone knowledgeable about sprites.
My question is, what is the difference between Capcom style sprites (primarily CPS2 version) and SNK sprites?

When I look at them, I can see the difference. However, I can't put my finger on what makes them different. I've only tried spriting in CPS2 and CPS3 style. I don't plan on trying SNK style sprites, however, I do wish to understand how the SNK style works. What are the main attributes to SNK's style of spriting?

Can someone explain or lead me to a source that will help me better understand?
Enlighten me...  ^:)^

Thanks!

- Twin

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
Re: Spriting Query - Differences between styles
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »
Yo I used to have a visual tut some years ago that pretty much showed the way to sprite solid snk style! Cant friggin find it now. From my own knowledge and experience messing with the sprites its usually more realistic proportions in body, more shades per color hue. Some have like 7 colors per hue. More tighter placement of them too for details. Pretty much if you look at the pallet for ryu there should be way more colors than in capcoms style for just one color....like that grey on his gi. Def a good snk spriter could give better and deeper insight.

Bro if I can find you the sprite tut I had I def will send to you. I personally love snk sprites style but I hate trying to actually sprite it.  :D I suck at it before.

Offline Manic

• Cossack's Creation
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 15, 2024, 09:22:40 PM
  • Poot dispenser here.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 02:33:12 AM »
Yeah, basically SNK style has slimmer and more realistic proportioning for the body shape. The sprites themselves are also using deeper and darker shades and tones as well as more colors in general. And if I remember correctly, the light source is in the middle of the character, however not enough to make it look pillow shaded and shows much more definition in the muscles. SNK vs Capcom uses a lot of frames to make the animations really smooth, while some other SNK games have fewer frames, but are still very smooth in animation.

Offline MotorRoach

• What the cup is on your face
  • Last Login:May 03, 2021, 03:48:50 PM
  • My hat is dead
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »
There is a main point regarding KOF, CvS, and SFA style. The three of them have a limit of 16 colors (including background transparency). Other than that, the sprite styles are very different. Mostly regarding the shading, the anatomy structure, and how it's animated.

Sadly, it's a bit too detailed for me to explain just with words, so I recommend you take a good read at these guides, for better study.

http://irwt.iammanyninjas.com/sprite.html

http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal