collapse

Author Topic: Planning stages for my characters--need suggestions  (Read 659 times)

Offline shastab24

• Initiate
  • Last Login:March 10, 2024, 04:31:10 AM
Planning stages for my characters--need suggestions
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:26:46 PM »
I wanted to make characters where, instead of sprite editing, I would draw every sprite by hand.  Yes, it'll be a lot of drawings, and I may find it too daunting, but I want to try.  I especially want to do this to make sure the sprites are in my style (as they'll be my characters).  One thing I like about MUGEN is the variety of characters and how they still can all work next to each other (at least I have no problem seeing Mortal Kombat, Capcom, SNK, and other styles all in the same game--variety is fun!).

My problem?  I can't think of enough good moves to give my characters.  However, you creators come up with some ingenious ones to give characters I wouldn't have thought would have much to work with.  So, I'll give the characters and the attributes I intend to give them, as well as anything that should be helpful about them that can help in such a thing (and yes, it's a good amount of characters, but I'm weird like that and will sometimes take on more work than I should be able to handle).

Flame Thrower: Being one-quarter dragon, she has the ability to withstand intense temperatures.  Aside from this, she can fly (not winged) and has pyrokinesis (localized in the hands, hence her name).  I was thinking of giving her a walking state and a flying state, with different moves for each.  An idea would be that while she is regularly more powerful while flying, she can only do hyper moves while on the ground.

Michael: Able to cover his body in a jagged, rock-like substance that is very sharp and durable.  I'm still working on anything that can translate this power to a game.

Eiderdown: She can manipulate feathers, as well as turn her body into a mass of feathers.  I was thinking to make her hard to hurt (immunity to projectiles is already something she has, and for her to have more life than most) but also have weaker attacks (it's like she's a walking pillow most of the time).  She will be able to grow wings, as well.

Fractal: Makes energy constructs (like Green Lantern, but without an ability to fly and can't shoot beams--they must be actual constructs)

Sparkle: Like the Hulk, grows bigger and stronger with intense emotions, especially anger.  Since she doesn't have a "Bruce Banner" form, her base form is more intelligent than Hulk (though she is on the lower end of intelligence) and she tends to be much more docile, not tending to enjoy smashing things up like Hulk does.

Astral: He astral projects into a form with super strength, durability and flight.  I'd have him only be in astral form during a fight (as his physical form is considerably less able to fight).

The Swimmer: She's able to make the air take on the properties of water, allowing her to swim through it, but also able to make, say, a fleeing criminal act like he's trying to run in water.  Probably would always be in the air.

The Runner: An undersea creature who likes to traverse the surface world, he has no superhuman powers aside from an ability to withstand any atmospheric pressure (he uses water tanks to breathe).  To compensate, he utilizes tech from undersea civilizations (that can be fit in pouches he wears, so he doesn't carry something like a trident--instead he can throw electrocuting projectiles, strike the ground with pearls that let off a flash of light that blinds the enemy, throw down a seed that sprouts a fast-growing seaweed that will entangle and immobilize/crush the enemy, etc.).  Skilled fighter but a nice guy.

Patchwork: Eiderdown's evil clone.  Unlike Eiderdown, she will use deadly force when she can.  Eiderdown might incapacitate with feathers while Patchwork skewers people with the shafts and as well, Patchwork will use her ability to take control of birds around her.  Considering she's more combat-oriented, I would think she would have a denser body than Eiderdown and therefore have stronger basic attacks at the expense of less life.

Supertrans: Superman-like powers, but with a weakness to electricity as well (like the Superman animated series--that, and it's any radiation that hurts her, not just Kryptonite).

TNT: Developed technology that allows her to shoot atomic energy blasts.  This was initially just in the form of a gun, which she still carries, but she also created gauntlets, since she kept dropping the gun, and allows her, combined with some repulsors on her feet, to fly.

Split: She has the ability to trap the souls of the recently deceased inside her mind, where they manifest as split personalities with all the skills and abilities they had in life.  In her primary personality (Amber), that's the only power she has, with little control (though she does have an ability to rip souls from the living, though it hurts her and she doesn't want to ever do it) and as such she has learned Tai Chi and is versatile with a sword in that capacity.  Another personality, George, is a hydromancer (unable to create water, just manipulate that around him) with no special fighting skills but who carries a squirt gun to complement his powers.  There is a third personality, Jen, who has no powers or special abilities but is incredibly angry due to how she died and is prone to trying to hack people up with Amber's sword.

So, yep.  I would love to hear suggestions if you have them.  It would be greatly appreciated.  And I do have other characters in the wings for when I finish these (in the order I listed them, by the way, so Flame Thrower will be the first character I create, but likely alongside some of the others, most likely Michael and Eiderdown), and some of them will be ones I didn't create but are in the public domain, doing my best to keep it as close to the original art as possible (Madame Fatal, Tarpe Mills' Cat Man, Cecilia Cerise, Office Bobbie, He-She, Whiffy, maybe more of such characters).

Offline Toxin97

• Initiate
  • Last Login:April 14, 2024, 12:21:26 AM
    • Email
Re: Planning stages for my characters--need suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »
I would suggest an agent temple and cargo boat

Offline Darkflare

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:July 02, 2017, 05:47:31 PM
    • DarkflareEX
Re: Planning stages for my characters--need suggestions
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »
Hate to tell you some bad news, but I'm afraid not every idea will translate well to fighting game standards. You have to keep a sort of balance in your moves, sometimes sacrificing an ability's accuracy for the sake of balance. This is why Capcom made the Marvel characters not be completely comic book accurate(and why Chris Redfield can beat Dormammu even though this would never happen)

To give an example, Eiderdown's ability to turn into pillow feathers could be used as a dodge or counter move, but she won't necessarily have more health than average.

The other thing is deciding what kind of system engine you want. Different moves work better with certain mechanics in mind.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal