collapse

Author Topic: [Just Joined] Hello, Just wanted to say thanks for the great community!  (Read 828 times)

Offline atk402

• Last Login:September 25, 2013, 04:31:12 AM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
Hey everyone, I've recently joined this forum today to learn more about character creation in mugen.

The tutorial at the wiki page definitely help me a long way from knowing nothing about Mugen.
So I would thank the community for that!

I currently work at Twitch and the original idea started as me wanting to make a fun character that represents Twitch for the 'random mugen stream' called salty bet.
http://www.twitch.tv/m/252414 <- This is the result.

I drew the sprites from taking reference from -waha.. and.. I've read the guides in the wiki to learn basic codes to know... and kind of glued together bunch of moved from multiple characters and hopefully the AI worked with the OP character I found that time (Shadow Donald)

Even though I still don't know much about mugen, I had a lot of fun. (bunch of stress from all the errors too lol)

Problem is, at the debut match, it couldn't beat Rare Akuma :(.. and I don't think I am smart enough
to make it even stronger at this point... (too many custom codes). I think 'Dark Donald' seems to be the most OP character I could find but there are just too many moves, and I want the character to be behaved in certain form with different intros.

So one humble request I would ask is if I could have some assistance from someone to adjust the character Dark Donald the way I want to improve my character? (I'm planning to redraw the sprites as well). As an artist, I would love to spend more time on sprites than coding :(. Feel free to drop me a msg if you're interested in helping for a bit!!

Sorry in advance if I broke any rules for asking such a noob request..  If it isn't possible at all.. It's totally okay with me. I am still very thankful for the wiki to have my character fighting on stream with thousands of viewers :D. I really couldn't even thought of creating the character without it.

Thanks again for the awesome community! (I will definitely read around)

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
Re: [Just Joined] Hello, Just wanted to say thanks for the great community!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 03:19:50 PM »
HI! Welcome to Infinity! I'm glad you decided to join, and I'm glad Satly Bet is leading more people to mugen and inspiring creativity.

I saw her fight with Rare Akuma. Got to say though it is almost impossible to beet Rare Akuma, she looked like she did pretty good.
I don't know much about code myself, im more of a spriter really. But from the video you posted she seems really strong. Are you planning on releasing her to the general public? If you do, just make sure you include a text file saying where you may have used bits of code from other creators.

I am sure you'll be able to find help here.  You can find more things over on the open source board http://www.infinitymugenteam.com/Forum_345/index.php?board=45.0

But if you have specific code questions I recommend you post in the help section here http://www.infinitymugenteam.com/Forum_345/index.php?board=19.0

Please feel free to post more around the forum, get an avatar and stay a while.
 :)

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 10:26:37 AM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 04:30:28 PM »
welcome to IMT. If you want a custom avatar just pm your friendly angry neighborhood princess

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline Darkflare

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:July 02, 2017, 05:47:31 PM
    • DarkflareEX
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
Sorry? Do you have any idea how many rules you broke in that post alone? Do you really think you're going to get away with this?

I'm just going to tell you now and save you the trouble. A flashy OP character has no lasting value. It's fun for a few laughs and then it gets boring. Rare Akuma is hilarious and all, but even he gets old after some time. A properly made balanced character is more fun to use and definitely has more lasting appeal, so I would shoot for that instead.

That said, if you're going to focus on sprite making instead of dealing with code, I would recommend you showcase your spritework instead. If it's good enough, you might get a coder interested.

Offline Spidermew

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 16, 2024, 10:15:50 PM
  • Wubba lubba dub-dub
    • Skype - spidermew@aol.com
    • SpiderMew's House of Stuff
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:32:30 PM »
Sorry? Do you have any idea how many rules you broke in that post alone? Do you really think you're going to get away with this?

I'm just going to tell you now and save you the trouble. A flashy OP character has no lasting value. It's fun for a few laughs and then it gets boring. Rare Akuma is hilarious and all, but even he gets old after some time. A properly made balanced character is more fun to use and definitely has more lasting appeal, so I would shoot for that instead.

That said, if you're going to focus on sprite making instead of dealing with code, I would recommend you showcase your spritework instead. If it's good enough, you might get a coder interested.

It can be argued that flashy characters do have a value. When you watch 2 flashy AI's fight I cant be awesome.  :Terry

Offline atk402

• Last Login:September 25, 2013, 04:31:12 AM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
cool! thank you for the warm welcome and I greatly appreciate your advices!

I don't think I will release it to the public though because code is just all over the place haha.

@Darkflare, I agree! instead of super insane OP flashy kills, good ol punch kick 50/50 victories does have it's value that lasts longer!. Perhaps later in the future.. I have seen codes that "alters AI, move sets dependent on the character" so maybe.. the character can be set as super OP when it faces OP characters like "rare akuma" etc?

So many things you can experiment, but so little time :(

Offline Darkflare

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:July 02, 2017, 05:47:31 PM
    • DarkflareEX
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 01:22:30 AM »
It can be argued that flashy characters do have a value. When you watch 2 flashy AI's fight I cant be awesome.  :Terry

Bah, I can't enjoy AI battles. I need to be part of the action.

@Darkflare, I agree! instead of super insane OP flashy kills, good ol punch kick 50/50 victories does have it's value that lasts longer!. Perhaps later in the future.. I have seen codes that "alters AI, move sets dependent on the character" so maybe.. the character can be set as super OP when it faces OP characters like "rare akuma" etc?

My advice would be to just focus on the balance portion and forget about all the OP stuff. Cause if you're just going to focus on having the most unbeatable character, you're going to have a really bad time with the constant "nuke wars" of people outdoing each other.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 [29] 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal