collapse

Author Topic: Well i guess i wont be buying the xbox 720  (Read 1259 times)

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Section Moderator
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
Well i guess i wont be buying the xbox 720
« on: February 06, 2013, 02:57:38 PM »
this so retarded if this is actually true smdh

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/06/xbox-720-allegedly-requires-online-connection

These game companies are more and more starting to forget WHY video games were fun in the first place. This move
here isnt a smart move at all.

Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline overlordnick

• Winner of Round 2/3/7/8/12 in Last Person To Post Wins!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:July 05, 2016, 05:28:34 AM
    • Email
Re: Well i guess i wont be buying the xbox 720
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
though i doubt it's true, that's where a lot of things are moving
they want you to do everything in this magical cloud
which isn't a bad thing in theory, it can significantly lower hardware costs because the machine doesn't actually have to do any processing or rendering, just take inputs and stream to a monitor
if only we had the infrastructure for it,
not everyone has high enough speed Internet available to them, and fewer can afford it, plus if you're streaming the entirety of the game your Internet usage will skyrocket and will also require significantly more bandwidth
so lets see, $200-400 upfront cost for the machine, $60 for every game, whatever xbox online membership costs (i know it isn't free like psn), and $60+ every month for internet
or maybe i misunderstood a bit and ranted for while, idk, i'll be sticking with pc
You know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel when they make me a mod

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
i pray this wont be true cause it would be quite ridiculous if you dont have a very high speed internet connection that runs solid for streaming. i am already dreading the download times for games to stream or even uhhhg the actual lag in gameplay. Its not lag free now so i can imagine it later on these "beta " games that been put out at full retail price.  So you get a double whammy then.  *Iceman ThumbsDown!*

i will stick to my home consoles that play offline then and just mess with pc gaming until or even if this nonsense idea gets a thumbs down from corporate heads.

Offline Silva-silva

• Shadaloo's Overlord
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:October 26, 2019, 11:39:32 PM
  • Sono kubi... ka kiru
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:29:22 PM »
I really dont see the problem. I guess it will be silly when the internet goes down for some reason, but other than that I cant see a big problem unless you dont have internet.

Althogh it really depends on how much the thing relies on the internet to function, if something simple like saveing a game relies on the internet then there will no doubt be major problems.

"Are you a man who likes to beat their wife? Then head on over to Topeka Kansas, because it's now legal there." - Fox news

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 06:40:46 PM »
@silva: nah bro. i know some folks who still dont have internet unless its on their cell phone but they play games offline. one time they can afford it and one time they cant. if you had a choice between paying your light bill or internet bill youd pay your light bill im sure^^

Internet depending on where you live could vary on the cost. Like for example you cant just get internet from optimum online, youd have to get the whole package or the charge may be slightly higher in some ways. Some places folks live may not be able to get internet. Like my old place it was a b*tch to get verizon at one point because of the old power lines in the back yard and even optimum didnt want to touch that. it was a head ache. my internet connect ALWAYS had problems every other month or was hella slow because of the lines in the back.

getting internet is another bill that some folks cant afford. internet aint free (well not totally). you can ride another persons waves but not for so long....

so it depends....so to me the idea of them doing that sucks...and plus when i read at EGM they made so that when you use the discs activation code on your system its no good no where else...well at least thats how they made it sound^^

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-next-xbox-to-be-always-online-no-secondhand-games-blu-ray-discs-and-a-new-kinect/

Think about it:

You are rocking your RPG game or whatever...your internet gets bumped off for some reason for the day and has issues and your system shuts off or interrupts your game badly and you didnt get to save....thats not good man^^...they have to be way more clear as to what they mean the system depends on the internet. you should be able to enjoy games without it. I dont care to be online with folks like that at times.

anyway im gonna keep reading up on this entirely

HAIL CROM!!

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 07:00:38 PM »
man as i said, i dont see any good coming from a serious move with this. we already have the online storage thing on 360...think its that cloud storage thing i read. but i have not used it yet. i still save to hard drive only cause i KNOW its there. It will be gone if i delete it and dont have to connect to internet to access it.  The net version, net goes down i am azzed out till its back up. wether on my end or the net company end.

wifi as well aint all that reliable either, at my job there are 3 different wifi connections in one spot and you have to be signed in to 2 of them to even use.  go 7ft one direction yopu get Optimum, turn other way and walk 7 ft you get this other wifi provider and if facing the parking lot and step into it and walk about 20 ft you get Mcdonalds wifi.  :D . the only one thats open to use freely without a password is mcdonalds. lol

at the house.....so many wifi connections and only 2 will let use cause they open but they arent at full percentage and it varies on wether the connection may be good for an hour or half the day and other times its floaty. thats why me and some of the guys i played here online was having mad lag issues. if i aint at 100 percent and they not at 100 percent or any which way....LAG of Death!  you remember that hella slow lag match we had Kai and kept getting booted. the wifi varied at times. connect good for 20 minutes but then next thing you know jumping in air and got stuck in Lag pause or game moved hella choppy. i do a hadoken and you never see it and next thing i know i am on the ground getting kicked across the floor.   Horror Lag.

so until they PERFECT something like this, stickin with what i got . cause i know it works.

Offline Danoartist

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 23, 2022, 11:58:55 PM
  • I have the power.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I appologize if this seems ignorant or I missed something in a disscusion, I only read the initial story that is the basis for this thread.

This seems a next logical step, to me, I really don't like how digital everything seems to be going but, I have to say, when my PS3 isn't connected to the internet I find it to be very limiting in its purpose. Maybe I am being a spoiled bunghole but, when I don't have the ablity to look things up on the internet through my PS3 or instantly have access to Netflix, not to mention how much time I spend on DCUO, I get really frustrated when my Internet acts up and I don't have full use of my system!

In conclusion, I guess I would actually look forward to a less limiting OS, and I already prefer to have my system always connected to the internet. If they try and squeeze some kind of profit by charging us to use thier specific online service then I would have a HUGE problem because, I don't even have a cell phone to try and save on monthly bills! I hate how society just accepts how everything seems to have a monthly fee, if that becomes the case then I'll be out for sure.

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 07:59:37 PM »

If they try and squeeze some kind of profit by charging us to use thier specific online service then I would have a HUGE problem because, I don't even have a cell phone to try and save on monthly bills! I hate how society just accepts how everything seems to have a monthly fee, if that becomes the case then I'll be out for sure.

and thats the thing with that man as i was pretty much saying. they havent been totally clear but if we had to pay for XBL to be online with that system what do you think will happen with this new system?

Not only that but its made clear that IF you dont have internet the system will not work. or thats how IGN and EGM put it. thats why i want to keep listening to more info because it totally makes no sense. not everyone can afford internet at times or even their service connection is down for the count some days. thats happen to me numerous times in the area i was in and i had verizon. either connection was bad or it would be down because whats going on in the area. so imagine one stormy rainy jacked up weekend and your area loses its online service and you just got the system and started playing it and the internet goes out? youre screwed man

On top of that but they are making it (rumor said) so that once you use the activation code on the game thats it. no one else can play it on their system pretty much. Your cousin or close friend gets a cool game before you you do and you ask to hold it but you cant because its unlocked on their system (as they are pretty much saying). Or you cant even send the game back to the store and trade it in since you didnt like it much...

eh its a whole lot man....

@Lando: at the end of it all Cats like us from the time era we grew up in with video games wont even bother getting the system more so. You dont have no internet or you get laid off your job and its either keep the lights on or the internet WHICH ONE YOU GONNA CHOOSE?

exactly^^ lol
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:25:21 PM by DeMoNk@I »

HAIL CROM!!

• IMT Content Architect
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
yeah Kai , i surely have to choose the right one, my bills come first bruh. i need lights...keeps away all the gremlins. lol.

yeah i def dont like that whole can't lend your game to people move. that is a dumb idea . thats as well how people get to see if they friends might want to buy it. just watching a video doesnt always sells the game. sometimes and for certain gamers they want a brief playtime with it.  thats how it was for me with the Nes when it first came out. my cousin had it and we stayed over his house and got to play Karnov. after that time playing it that whole weekend we begged our parents for a system and that game and got it on christmas. Internet access aint always gonna be tight too for people as you explained. So i wont put my faith in that yet or maybe even a solid period. I love to be able to just pop in my disc and play and if this becomes the new route and people BUY into it then i just will settle for what i have .  ::salute::

Offline BigJ

• Contributor
  • Last Login:March 25, 2015, 02:28:49 PM
    • BigJ's Mugen site
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »
They pretty much already do this with the 360. My friend has no internet, so every time we try to play an XBLA game, it ends up always being a trail because we have to first be connected to XBL in order to play the full vers.

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »
They pretty much already do this with the 360. My friend has no internet, so every time we try to play an XBLA game, it ends up always being a trail because we have to first be connected to XBL in order to play the full vers.

lol yeh truth no doubt, its partially like that but they bringing it across with this 720 like if you dont have the internet period it wont function at all. put a GAME CD in offline and an error comes up "You will need online connection in order to play this game please contact your internet provider for more info"...sh*t like that

nah thats bullsh*t man smh lol

I hope thats not what they are really trying to say^^

HAIL CROM!!

Offline BigJ

• Contributor
  • Last Login:March 25, 2015, 02:28:49 PM
    • BigJ's Mugen site
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:33:43 AM »
lol yeh truth no doubt, its partially like that but they bringing it across with this 720 like if you dont have the internet period it wont function at all. put a GAME CD in offline and an error comes up "You will need online connection in order to play this game please contact your internet provider for more info"...sh*t like that

nah thats bullsh*t man smh lol

I hope thats not what they are really trying to say^^

Yeah, also, split screen hardly exists anymore. :p

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Wannabe Disciple of Master Lee
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 04, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
  • Vega: Master of the Claw (along with Wolverine)
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »
The article doesn't even mention the even more controversial rumor: That it will not play used games. Basically each copy of a game will only work for one console unit. That rumor is also floating around for the PS4 as well.

Offline Slivern

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:April 28, 2024, 05:51:39 PM
  • WE ARE NESTS: THE NEW WORLD ORDER
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 04:03:21 PM »
The article doesn't even mention the even more controversial rumor: That it will not play used games. Basically each copy of a game will only work for one console unit. That rumor is also floating around for the PS4 as well.

Why do these companies have to suck so bad?

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »

yeh in the GameRadar article it shares a bit more on it from their report i saw.
http://www.gamesradar.com/gamer-culture-will-suffer-if-next-gen-blocks-used-games/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp&utm_campaign=nousedgames

theres various game sites giving info here and there on it. Its a so called Rumor but a lot of them are saying from officials that its pretty accurate. Yes the PS4 and new 360 will have that used game blocked feature but 720 is the only one that will need the internet in order for it to function or play any games which is how they are putting it out there and im really hoping thats not true is what im saying...even though...heh im sure they are dead @ss serious with that...microsoft pulled out the double wammy of BS where as sony only went as far as blocking the used games and having it (as you said) where the game only plays on that owners system once the activation code has been redeemed. im sure thats no rumor. Sony was the first to talk about that way back in 2009 when that whole PS3 attack from hackers kept happening. Not the reason of the plan entirely but im sure it fueled it too^^

HAIL CROM!!

Offline eg6gsr

• Contributor
  • Last Login:February 26, 2024, 03:24:12 AM
  • my first love
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
Seems like everyone is pointing out the bad with the "internet only" access that is needed for the new 720 so I will leave that alone(kinda) but the whole think about not being able to pick up used games part.......................... o.O#............If that rumor is true and I have to deal with both them I'm done with home consoles.

I know the developers/companies don't get any kick back from used games so I can see why they would take this route but I guess they don't care how much of a burden this would be for the consumer so I'm just going to vent some out.

Scenario 1- I pick up a brand new fresh limited edition copy of a game for $80, get about a month in and the disk gets scratched now my only option is to pick up a 60 copy of the regular version of this game just to play it.

Scenario 2- A friend down the street has a game I would like to play and in turn I have a game that he/she would like to play so lets swap games for a bit oh but wait that can't happen anymore.

Scenario 3- Gamefly(rent game), Gamestop(makes more money on used game sales).........................destroyed and out of business

Scenario/question 4- Or(and 360 owners know this one very well) the console breaks and you now have to get a new one does this mean your library of games is now worthless because this new doesn't have the activation codes stored on it?

Scenario/question 5- Backward compatibility, would it even work?

I could go on for days but you get the point.

P.S.-They need to stop with the touch screen controllers, yes they are cool but when playing driving games or Fighting gets they really really get in the way(anyone who has CapcomXTekken on the vita knows what I'm talking about)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 01:29:07 PM by eg6gsr »

my new one

Offline LightFlare

• Mugen Soldier
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 10, 2024, 02:54:02 PM
  • I must continue my training...
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 03:13:59 PM »
Meh....I'm sticking with Sony no matter what. Soooo....  :-??
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:14:54 PM by LightFlare »

Do your best to become stronger. Become stronger, so you can do your best.

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 06:09:55 PM »
Seems like everyone is pointing out the bad with the "internet only" access that is needed for the new 720 so I will leave that alone(kinda) but the whole think about not being able to pick up used games part.......................... o.O#............If that rumor is true and I have to deal with both them I'm done with home consoles.

I know the developers/companies don't get any kick back from used games so I can see why they would take this route but I guess they don't care how much of a burden this would be for the consumer so I'm just going to vent some out.

Scenario 1- I pick up a brand new fresh limited edition copy of a game for $80, get about a month in and the disk gets scratched now my only option is to pick up a 60 copy of the regular version of this game just to play it.

Scenario 2- A friend down the street has a game I would like to play and in turn I have a game that he/she would like to play so lets swap games for a bit oh but wait that can't happen anymore.

Scenario 3- Gamefly(rent game), Gamestop(makes more money on used game sales).........................destroyed and out of business

Scenario/question 4- Or(and 360 owners know this one very well) the console breaks and you now have to get a new one does this mean your library of games is now worthless because this new doesn't have the activation codes stored on it?

Scenario/question 5- Backward compatibility, would it even work?

I could go on for days but you get the point.

P.S.-They need to stop with the touch screen controllers, yes they are cool but when playing driving games or Fighting gets they really really get in the way(anyone who has CapcomXTekken on the vita knows what I'm talking about)

Brotha you said perfectly on how i feel about it all. I am with you on understanding how they are cutting out the middle man but that whole trade games between friends has ALWAYS played a major role in a video game's attention. that sh*t stems back to nes days man. Kids cant afford games like that and not everyone is willing to shell out 60 bucks or whatever especially if your cousin or close friend can let you hold the game.....its just a coming curtain call for console games man.

Companies will realize that soon enough^^

HAIL CROM!!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal