collapse

Author Topic: Interview with SeanAltly  (Read 2334 times)

Offline ELECTRO

• Cosmic Creations
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 17, 2023, 07:27:43 PM
  • The Living Dynamo
    • THE-BEY0NDER
    • THE BEY0NDER
    • ELECTRO'S LAIR
    • Email
Interview with SeanAltly
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:34:01 AM »
Electro : How did you get into Mugen & how long have you been a contributor?

SeanAltly : First of all I want to mention that I am completely aware that we are all partaking in a hobby, something we do for fun, and I know I'm not a celebrity or anything. We're just doing this for fun and because people are interested, and I don't want anybody to get the idea that I think I'm better than anyone. With that out of the way, I started messing around with Mugen in late 2007, I think it was. I pretty much immediately started creating (badly), so I've been a contributor for pretty much my entire time in the Mugen Community.

Electro :Your contribution of Rorschach is very popular & a personal favorite of my Mugen roster. Care to talk about why you wanted to make him & when the project started.

SeanAltly : It's funny you'd say he's so popular, since here recently during Mugen Guild's character of the month, he was completely forgotten between Squall and Solid Snake. I made him because I'm a big fan of Watchmen, and especially of Rorschach. He's a very flawed and interesting character, and it bothers me that even though he's often recognized as the most popular character from Watchmen, he's never been in anything else really due to his (spoiler this if you want) death. I decided I wanted to see him in something else and made him for Mugen. That's pretty much all there is to it. That's also pretty much the whole process that goes into deciding who I make next (when it's not an original character). It has to be someone I care about, or else it seems like work.

Electro : Did you like the Watchmen movie?

SeanAltly : I loved the Watchmen movie. I saw it three times in the theater, which is a big deal since the film is almost three hours long. As blasphemous as it may seem, I liked the ending better than the graphic novel version. I do understand why some people didn't like the film. I had no trouble following it since I had read the graphic novel so many times, but I'm also aware that previous knowledge of the source material shouldn't be required for viewing. It's the responsibility of the film and the film makers to make sure the film makes sense on its own, which was a problem at times.

Electro : You have a lot of characters on your site. Most of them seem to be original characters from a story that you started in school. What’s the story of these characters?

SeanAltly : Speaking of the site, we've not had access to our FTP in a while, so to anyone reading this, ignore the following downloads on the site: Solid Snake, Rorschach, and Bloodtide. All three have had vastly superior versions released that we could not post on the site. The original characters are just part of my SHADEs of Manhattan universe. The shortest version of the synopsis is that a corrupt pharmaceutical corporation called Maddicorp, led by Moses Maddigan, conducts a genetic experiment using volunteer as well as captive subject that results in the formation of super powers. The experiment is ruined when one of the subjects escapes, slaughters the scientists, and frees the other subjects. The subjects are on the run from Maddicorp and a special group called The Collection Agency. That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I came up with the idea in the 9th grade, and intended for it to be a comic book series, but it ended up as a Mugen game because of my love for 2-D fighting games.

Electro : What are some new WIP’s that you are working on or projects that you would like to do in the future?

SeanAltly : Well, SHADEs 2 is almost done, I'm currently putting together the characters' endings while waiting for the AI to be finished by Kamekaze. The big thing I'm moving on to now is a fantasy game of mine called Capcom vs. The World. The idea is to pit Capcom's characters (I'm a big fan of Capcom and its characters and games) against a random amalgamation of characters from other sources, hence "The World." They include Jin Kazama (Tekken), CM Punk (a real-life professional wrestler), Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury), Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid), Rorschach (Watchmen), and Squall (Final Fantasy VIII), just to name a few. As far as what I do in the future, that's being determined by the Polls I set up (http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?board=381.0 ), where people can vote for who they want to be included in the game.

Electro : We all have projects that are fun to do or ones that give us a headache to complete. Which projects that you’ve worked on where the most fun & which ones have you struggled to complete or have cancelled?

SeanAltly : Like I said before, I try to make sure that all the characters I make are characters I care about or want to see made, so I enjoy it more often than not. I did get a bit frustrated with certain mechanics while making Exile, like getting him to turn properly while in his second stance. It ended up being such a simple fix, too.

Electro : There are many methods & software that people use to create content. What software & devices do you like to use to make your content? Feel free to add in any tips to creating that might help others.

SeanAltly : Believe it or not, I just use MS Paint. I've tried GIMP and Graphics Gale, and they're technically superior programs, but I'm just too comfortable with MS Paint at this point.

Electro : Which video games do you like to play or ones that you draw inspiration from to create content?

SeanAltly : Well, people tend to think I'm a big gamer, but I really don't play much outside of fighting games and established franchises. I don't have a lot of money to try out new games and I'm terrible at FPS games (which seems to be half of the games coming out these days). So I basically stick with Street Fighter, Tekken (and any other fighting games, really), Resident Evil, Megaman, Final Fantasy (though I strongly dislike XIII), the Metal Gear franchise, and the WWE Smackdown games. I just can't seem to get into much these days. I also play a ton of Sonic games, but not the new ones, for obvious reasons.

Electro : There are hundreds of creations out there but what characters, stages, screen packs etc.. are your personal favorites?

SeanAltly : I follow the creations of Kamekaze, Cybaster, Rajaa, BC, Basara, MC2, SafirKreuz85 (though he's only made one character, he's also made some beautiful stages), and the sprite work of CVSNB (who made the sprites for Jin that I'm using in Capcom vs The World) and Diepod. If I didn't mention someone here, it's not a slight or because I don't like their creations, I just listed the ones I follow the closest.

Electro : Are you affiliated with any Mugen groups or projects?

SeanAltly : Just SHADEs of Manhattan and Capcom vs The World. I'm listed as a part-time contributor to both the Street Fighter Alpha 4 project and the Capcom Fighting All-Stars project, but I regret that I haven't actually been able to contribute anything to them yet. I included Retsu as an option in the Capcom vs The World polls so that I could get motivated, since I had told BC I would try to make him so he could be included in SFA4, but he's not winning right now. I still plan on making him eventually, but I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to.

Electro : Is there anything that you would like to see added to the Mugen engine?

SeanAltly : Just what everyone else wants, built-in tag team functionality and maybe some other things, nothing terribly specific.

Electro : Thanks a lot for taking the time to be interviewed & enhancing the Mugen community with your projects.

SeanAltly : No problem, any time.

To see SeanAltly's latest creation CM Punk visit Mugen Fighters Guild forums : http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=131784.0

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:52:52 AM by ELECTRO »

Offline Jelux Da Casual

• of the Old Guard
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:March 25, 2024, 03:11:16 PM
  • 7/18/11 - Death of a Legend
    • JeluxDaCasual
    • Email
Re: Interview with SeanAltly
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:39:43 PM »
Ah, into the mind of Altly. Nice indeed.
(ಠ_益ಠ) (~_~) CAPCOM
    Fyro^                 ^Me
\(゜0゜)/  (╯°Д°)╯彡WOƆԀ∀Ɔ
(╯^_^)/*\(^o^╯)       WOƆԀ∀Ɔ

Offline A!

• Novice Coder
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:August 03, 2019, 06:10:28 PM
  • Don't Hate If You Cant Create
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »
Oh didnt know you could reply here.

I just use MS Paint

Cant beleive he only uses that, thought a was dumb for using it  ;*))
A guy told me one time, "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Wannabe Disciple of Master Lee
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 04, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
  • Vega: Master of the Claw (along with Wolverine)
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »
Only MS Paint? And you made this?

I feel so inferior. :( ... :-j

Offline ELECTRO

• Cosmic Creations
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:September 17, 2023, 07:27:43 PM
  • The Living Dynamo
    • THE-BEY0NDER
    • THE BEY0NDER
    • ELECTRO'S LAIR
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:49:38 AM »
I to was amazed that MS Paint was his program of choice @-)

Offline DanOwnsall112

• Suporter of Mugen Evolution
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 03, 2016, 11:19:37 PM
  • OYAJI!!!!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:36:49 AM »
Nice interview, I love his creations and his spritework, still quite surprised he uses MS Paint as his tool of choice, never knew  :-??

"DAN NEVER DIES, HE JUST STOPS LIVING FOR A DAY!" - GatlingPunchRalf

Offline Enso

• C.R.O.M. Dancer, Sprite Artist, Winner of Sprite of the Week Contest #71, and Winner of Round 6 and 15 in Last Person To Post Wins!
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:August 18, 2023, 06:43:34 AM
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 04:14:50 AM »
Thread locked?

Like him, I always use MS Paint for spriting characters. But for GIMP, I do color-swapping whenever I finish a sprite. I never use Photoshop for effects 'cause I'm not good on it. Plus, I've never been using Photoshop for a very long time ever since I got my first laptop.

Sig by TGM

(click to show/hide)

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Infinity Faithful
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »
But for GIMP, I do color-swapping whenever I finish a sprite. I never use Photoshop for effects 'cause I'm not good on it. Plus, I've never been using Photoshop for a very long time ever since I got my first laptop.

Yeah I started with PS and didn't like it and ending up going to GIMP for ease of use and the fact that it can do so much. I remember I tried GIMP and didn't expect it to be as good.

Don't know how you guys do that in paint. I hated when I had to do that.

Offline Enso

• C.R.O.M. Dancer, Sprite Artist, Winner of Sprite of the Week Contest #71, and Winner of Round 6 and 15 in Last Person To Post Wins!
  • Infinity Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:24:01 AM »
Don't know how you guys do that in paint. I hated when I had to do that.
Just you's the tools like pencil, select (rectangle or free), color picker, magnifying glass, etc.

Sig by TGM

(click to show/hide)

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Infinity Faithful
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:53:07 PM »
Yeah like I said I hated doing all that by hand. :D

Admittedly I used to edit things like that in paint even when I had PS since it was so complex and annoying in PS. One thing I hated about it though was the single Undo you are given. I make a lot of mistakes, consecutively. :D

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »
Just you's the tools like pencil, select (rectangle or free), color picker, magnifying glass, etc.

And Bezier, being an expert in Bezier will save you tons of time.

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Infinity Faithful
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 02:11:47 PM »
That tool caused me to wear down my Ctrl and Z keys very quickly. I was never satisfied with the outline.

Offline Enso

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
And Bezier, being an expert in Bezier will save you tons of time.
And what's Bezier? I couldn't get to explain of what Sanji asked of how we use it in Paint. Believe me. I first started using MS Paint when I was a little kid. I drew characters mostly like Mighty Ducks characters (Disney cartoon) since the show was my favorite of all time. After the show stopped like in Summer '97 (I guess), I stopped doing MS Paint. I had never been using MS Paint for 11 years until I started Mugen. Since I've played Mugen and started sprite editing for the first time, I got back to MS Paint and it reminded me of days (when) I drew as a child.

Sig by TGM

(click to show/hide)

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »
Wow. This guy's amazing. Only MS Paint?

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 06:34:37 PM »
Seems most people are suprised he uses MS paint to sprite.  :D , heck i use it myself .  matter fact its the only one i use. i tried Gimp once but i got too comfy with Paint. I never heard of that Beizer one you listed Acey. imma try to find it since i wanna see what all the programs offer in easiness of use and color variations.  Gimp has alot you can do in it but i am not comfy with it. If Beizer is easy to use like Paint then i might switch it up since i wanna do some Hi res style ones like some people do in photoshop. Great interview. =D>

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
Bezier is the squiggly line making took for paint.

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 06:59:08 PM »
I only use paint as well. I occasionally use Paint Pro to add some touch ups

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »

o.O# doh! i never knew it had a name! i just called it the squiggly thingamajig.  :D

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Infinity Faithful
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
Same except I said curved line thingy.

Offline Enso

• Infinity Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 01:18:12 AM »
Wow. This guy's amazing. Only MS Paint?
I actually am not surprised about this. Felo Llop uses only MS Paint too.

I wonder what it's like. I thought I didn't see it. Is it somewhat like a free-select thing?

o.O# doh! i never knew it had a name! i just called it the squiggly thingamajig.  :D
:D

Sig by TGM

(click to show/hide)

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Infinity Faithful
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:41 AM »
There is a select one, and there is a line drawing one.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

SPIDER-VERSE THE AMAZING MUGENSTORY©EPISODE 10 "THE OTHERVERSE" 1080P BY REB3LTV by Rage
[March 27, 2024, 02:44:21 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[March 24, 2024, 11:09:37 AM]

Tree Of Erebus Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[March 22, 2024, 08:13:48 AM]

.Batzarro's. Sprite Edits by MatreroG
[March 20, 2024, 07:58:08 AM]

World Heroes 2 Shura Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[March 19, 2024, 12:44:28 PM]

MOVED: Prepare your ****! ***** Soldier gets his **** ready in MUGEN! by Rage
[March 18, 2024, 11:08:23 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista