collapse

Author Topic: Marvel: War Of Attrition  (Read 3195 times)

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
  • Last Login:July 13, 2011, 07:47:24 PM
  • The Next Generation of Mugen Has Arrived!!!
    • Email
Marvel: War Of Attrition
« on: June 20, 2011, 05:18:49 PM »

MARVEL: War Of Attrition

Finally A Marvel Game That Will Properly Do ALL Of The Comic Books Justice Has Arrived!!!! Marvel: War Of Attrition Has Been A Project That I've Wanted To Work On For A Long Time And Now That My Life Is In Order It's Time To Make It Happen!!!! This Game Is Not Gonna Boast Some Crazy Character List Or Speedy Release Date...No!...This Game Is A Long-Term Project That Will Be Worked On As Hard As Possible With NO Shortcuts.
What Makes MWoA So Different Is That It Will Made As If The Fights Were Actually Taking Place In A Comic Book, Filled With Text Bubbles, Editorial Notes, Flipping Pages,Etc. This Game Is Specifically For All The Hardcore Marvel Fans In The Mugen Community That Have Been Waiting To Be Apart Of Something Truly Special!!!

Planned/Wanted Features:

-Item-Based Helper System
Instead of every character being packed with their own helpers, I thought it might be a cool idea to install a different system where the characters are able to pick up randomly generated Marvel Cards*(Comic-Style of course) and summon that respect character to the stage in order to help them.
Example: Spiderman picks up Daredevil card-->Player puts in helper command-->Cool effect where Daredevil card appears and explodes-->Daredevil jumps into action and hits opponent with special move, hits a pose, and then runs off screen.

*Plan to Use The Older Marvel Cards Rather Than The Modern Ones.

-Transforming/Changing Stages
A System that completely changes the stage into an extended version after a huge special is performed by flipping the pages into the next section of the "comic"

-Midfight Cutscenes
Cutscenes that show specific kinds of animation when "Spiderman" faces "Venom" or any other kind of rival or duo. That could be shown like an intro, with different comic book style slides that appear with sound, all while pausing the fight.

*Could this be tied into a feature that gives every character a different boss to fight, so the boss fights and storyline would feel more personal and engaging?

-Action Break Counter System
While Under Attack, Characters Can Perform There Counters In Order To Change The Tide Of Battle. Countering An Opponent Stops Their Attack "Flow" And Allows A Character To Perform A Special and Unique Knock-Back Attack That Happens In Slow Motion. Each Character Is Given One Of The Start Of Each Round.

-Stan Lee's Commentary
Occasional and Random Header and Footnotes Based Off Of Popular Stan Lee Quotes Will Appear Through Out The Match To Add To The Comic-Book Style Of The Game, Along With Editorial Notes During Hypers.

-Transformation/Blaze Mode
Players Will Be Given A Lot Of Different Options Once They've Reached A Full Bar Of Power. Whether To Utilize Their Player's Specific Transformation*(Spidey->Symbiote Spidey or Jean->Phoenix) Or Enter Into Blaze Mode,A Special State Of Time-Limited Invicibility That Each Character Is Allowed To Use In Sacrifice Of Their  Transformation.(Think Rage Mode in MKvsDC)

*Some Characters Will Have Hyper Mode Available In Place Of Blaze Mode, A Mode That Places Your Opponent In Slow-Motion While You Move With Increased Speed For A Limited Amount Of Time.

-Changing Portraits
Portraits That Will Change With The Character To Represent Different States: (Strong,Worried,Feeling Week,and Danger). These States Will Also Be Presented Through Character Specific Phrases.

-Finishers
Character Specific Finishers That Are Triggered By Being The Last Hit Dealt To An Opponent. These Finishers Will Be Unique And Specific To The Style and Personality of The Characters.

Control Scheme:

6 Button: LK,LP,MK,MP,Modifier(For Signature Moves), and Helper

Character List:
I  have decided against creating a specific character list for the sole purpose of giving the potential spriters freedom and hearing the opinions of the community(that goes for stages as well)

MORE:
-Amazing and Unique Storyline That Brings Life To The Characters And Meshes Well With The Actual Comic Storyline!!!
-Realistic Representation Of Strengths and Weaknesses of ALL Characters In Order To Give Players More Strategic Motives.
-Accurate Alternative Costumes
-Etc.

Right Now!!!!!
Looking For Help In All Departments, But A Main Focus Is The Screenpack and Spriters...This Game Will Be A Long-Term Project...Nothing Rushed!!!...So If You're Interested In Joining Up And Creating The Best Marvel Project For Mugen Then PM Me Or Post Here.

P.S.-I did start this game in 2009, but due to life issues I cancelled it, but now it's back and it's been scrapped and completely re-planned!!!

Team Members:
Monday-Night-War
Electro
bse24
GT Yzan
Arkady

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:22:10 PM by Monday-Night-War »

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
Re: Marvel: War Of Attrition
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 05:47:36 PM »
I don't suppose you have any screenshots of this "game?"

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »
Exactly Why I Placed It Here...In Order To Obtain Interest By Sharing The Overall Plan And Direction Of The Game, Hoping To Attract A Team Of People Who Are All Willing To Help With Such A Project.

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
Well, if you want I can talk with my team and see if their okay with letting you use our Luke Cage for this project.

Once he's released that is

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »
Thanx, I'd really appreciate it, I've already talked to Mugen-Ninja and he might even help with some characters for this once you've guys finished your WIPs

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Wannabe Disciple of Master Lee
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 04, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
  • Vega: Master of the Claw (along with Wolverine)
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
I'm no good at coding and my own WIPs are too slow moving to help anyone seriously, but I have a few ideas on how you could implement the more difficult features you mention.

Flipping pages
(click to show/hide)

Mid-fight cutscene
(click to show/hide)

Weaknesses/Strengths
(click to show/hide)

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 06:58:21 PM »
Thanx I really appreciate your ideas:

Flipping Pages: Yeah I Haven't exactly figured out how I wanted to trigger them but I'll figure it out soon
Mid-fight cutscene: that's exactly what I wanted to do, but I can see the issue.....
Weaknesses and Strengths: It's gonna be a superb system when it's finished

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
Is this based on a particular storyline in the comics or is it an original story?

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
I plan to make it an original storyline based off an undecided time period...are you guys making your characters for a specific game like EOH???

Post Merge: June 20, 2011, 10:14:25 PM
Beginning to work on the overall storyline at the moment and I just wanted to know if you thought it would be cool to base this game off of a modified version of the Mutant Registration story that will pit civilians against the heroes and mutants forcing them to work together against a greater foe?

If you have any other ideas, let me know, especially about who should be the Boss(a unique and new one please!!!)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:14:25 PM by Monday-Night-War »

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Wannabe Disciple of Master Lee
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 04, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
  • Vega: Master of the Claw (along with Wolverine)
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:34:08 PM »
If you want a reference point on the weaknesses thing look at (but please don't copy) Lex Luthor by Buyog, and his abilities against Superman.

Story-wise, an original one would be nice but if you can make a nice Civil War that'd be good enough. I'm stuck on bosses. Maybe some kind of giant Metal Monster Magneto. The alliteration works.

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:40:48 PM »
Yeah I'm leaning to a more original storyline but I can't decide on what era to place it in...and as far as the boss...I think it would be cool to create an entirely new one...maybe....

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 11:10:15 PM »
Maybe you can have two campaigns: an Avengers campaign (heroes) and a Masters of Evil campaign (villains)

And for both campaigns you can have a giant boss (maybe Fin Fang Foom for Avengers campaign and Yellowjacket for Masters of Evil campaign)

Offline vyn

• Contributor
  • Last Login:April 22, 2024, 09:07:01 PM
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »
Take my advice and learn mugen first, some of the features you want to use cant be done in mugen and im pretty sure you cannot quite grasp the amount of work something like this requires at this point.

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 11:20:05 PM »
Actually Just About All Of This Has Been Confirmed As "Do-Able" By Cybaster of Mugenguild with proper coding references....so thanx but I actually have asked abut most of this stuff and it's also possible with the right coding.

Post Merge: June 20, 2011, 11:24:16 PM
All the things you're asking are implementable in the sense of a full game.

- Item-Based Helper System :
Can be something easy or harder to do, depending on how you want to set it up. You could have each player generating various cards, and each fighter would only be able to catch the cars he's generated. That's the least interactive way, but the easiest, as each char just has to worry about his own cards, and there's basically no interaction.
Or, you could have each player be able to catch the other char's cards, in which case you'll need to use a bunch of enemy,numhelper(XXX), evaluate the distance, and go to particular state coded in the character to make a helper appear. During this, the card helper of the opponent would disappear based on enemy,stateno=AAA, since player 1 would have entered a particular state saying he used the card.
To sum up :
- P1 has no card on screen. P2 has one card on screen, let's say helper(2000).
- P1 is near helper(2000) and does the command to catch it. It's evaluated in state -2/-3 with enemy,helper(2000)=1, as well as distances triggers, ctrl, etc.
- When doing the command to catch, P1 enters a particular catching state, and/or has a variable (let's say var(8)) set to 2000 (to say he grabbed the card labelled 2000, which can be generated by any of the players).
- In helper(2000), you can now put a destroyself or whatever, based on either enemy,stateno="catching state", or the value of his variable(8).

- Transforming/Changing Stages :
You'll have to go the hard way with this : preferably, you'll need to use Mugen 1.0 to be able to get the name of the stage you're in (old winmugen method is crappy, take a look at the topic I created in Mugen discussion about interactive stages).
Once you've done this, you'll have to code in each character the stage based code (fortunately, you can put the graphics and animations in the fightfx.sff and fightfx.air in the data folder, since it's a fullgame, and all chars will share a lot of stuff like FX).
Then, when a character does his particular super AND if you're in the correct stage (using stagevar(info.name)="blablabla"), then you can activate your new graphics and apply them onto the stage.

- Midfight Cutscenes
Not a problem to do at all, that's just about triggering particular intros/winposes/states depending on "enemy,name". You then just have to create the correct explods and display the right sounds, all that during the pause or superpause you'll have created.
However, concerning different bosses for each character, this is not possible in Mugen for now, unless :
- You code all the characters into one character. Not likely to happen as this is very advanced stuff to deal with.
- You use a front end of some sort that will launch Mugen and create a pseudo arcade mode for a character where you get full control of who you fight and when. Not very nice either, so I guess it's better you drop this idea as a whole.

Offline vyn

• Contributor
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 11:36:09 PM »
id like to see how you are going to add all those transformations then. Dont take me as a troll, i know what im talking about and im giving you a good advice on how to proceed.

also and please be honest, do you actually understand that?

Offline Uche_of_IMT

• Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:May 11, 2024, 11:23:07 PM
  • The fighting spirit lives in the fans of M.U.G.E.N
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 12:19:10 AM »
Is it back for real this time?
92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature.

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 07:50:06 AM »
id like to see how you are going to add all those transformations then. Dont take me as a troll, i know what im talking about and im giving you a good advice on how to proceed.

also and please be honest, do you actually understand that?

Honestly?? I understand some of it, I've just come back to the mugen scene after two years so all the coding that I learned before has to be relearned, but the difference between now and the last time I attempted is that there's NO RUSH!!!...I'm working extremely hard on the template and trying my best to grasp all the new concepts. I understand where you're coming from though, and I appreciate your honesty and concern though, the Item-Based Helper System is gonna give me a headache but I'm striving to make it all work out. I hope I'll be able to show you some excellent progress in the future, but for now, I'm gathering a team, working on the visual aspects of the game(screenpack,lifebars,fx,comic effects,etc.), and then discussing the final features we want to implement before we begin to make a permanent template.

Is it back for real this time?

Yes, I had a lot of personal issues and got extremely caught up with life before but now I'm definitely trying hard to make this game a reality because I think it's an AMAZING idea! No more unrealistic character rosters and rushed releases though, and I'm tryna come up with a proper storyline as we speak so I can give you an idea of what characters to expect as well as their attires....

Offline ELECTRO

• Cosmic Creations
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:Today at 04:25:43 AM
  • The Living Dynamo
    • THE-BEY0NDER
    • THE BEY0NDER
    • ELECTRO'S LAIR
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
Maybe you can have two campaigns: an Avengers campaign (heroes) and a Masters of Evil campaign (villains)

And for both campaigns you can have a giant boss (maybe Fin Fang Foom for Avengers campaign and Yellowjacket for Masters of Evil campaign)

I personally like this idea of Avengers vs Masters of Evil storyline & characters. There are 2 characters from the Masters that I would like to do. This would give you a broad array of characters to play with & plenty of comics to draw storylines from. @-)

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 09:51:12 AM »
PM me about them, cuz I'm curious  :thumbsup: and OK I'll look into that storyline because I'm having the hardest time trying to decide on what to do,lol

SN:bse24 is doing an excellent job and has great ideas....stay tuned

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
Take my advice and learn mugen first, some of the features you want to use cant be done in mugen and im pretty sure you cannot quite grasp the amount of work something like this requires at this point.

This is how I feel as well, people are prone to over developing their projects and making big promisses then... you know... cancelling because they don't have time to work on it. Being that we've been in this business for 5 years we've seen them all come and go. I support your project, especially if it ever becomes a project.

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:01 AM »
Yeah I understand that,but the big thing here is that there's no big promises or rushed releases or anything! I just want to put in the time and effort and slowly create a masterpiece, not rushing in and cancelling because of the pressure or expectations. I'm relearning at the moment and planning out all the pieces of the puzzle, figuring out what's possible, what's not, what's a good idea, what leaves more to be desired....I'm not new to creating characters, since I had a few on the Guild waaaaaaaaay back when,lol....but honestly I really respect you guys and EOH has been a major inspiration for this project, so I definitely thank you for the wise words, and I promise not to start making any crazy promises or releasing unfinished works and to work diligently on this project and show some actual, tangible progress or nothing at all...that's why it's in the discussion portion and not W.I.P., I want to discuss it, plan it out, work on it, and then move it when and ONLY when the top "dawgs" think we're ready. It's Not Gonna Be Easy..Because If It Was...Everybody Would Be Doing It.....I just hope to make this project a success rather than another great idea that never was.

Offline ELECTRO

• Cosmic Creations
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:Today at 04:25:43 AM
  • The Living Dynamo
    • THE-BEY0NDER
    • THE BEY0NDER
    • ELECTRO'S LAIR
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
I think transformations need to be off the table. They are doable but it requires double the amount of sprites needed. When that time could be spent making 2 different characters. @-)

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »
Ok, I just thought that the transformations would really add to the features and strategy of the game...what about the Blaze and Hyper Modes???

Offline vyn

• Contributor
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
lemme give you a hanad with all those transformations you want to use,

Something like spiderman transforming into symbiote can be done if its a pallete swap because mugen 1.0 supports it, you will have to separate the pallete to match the colors and if you want it to look right add the white spider, the hand patches and a bit of edit on the eyes or you can just make him all black.

Something like child goku turning into ssj4 would require spriting the whole character twice as the dude above said and would only work right as a locked full game and with about twice the code on many parts in every character that interacts with the transforming character. If this character interacts with regular mugen character he will be very glitchy and change sprites back and forth.

The invinsible mode should not be a problem but the slow motion ability would be the same, a character to be put in slow motion by the opponent would require it to be coded in himself to work right so again regular mugen characters wont work right.

This is the sort of thing i meant when i said some of the things you want cant be done in mugen, when cybaster said "in the sense of a full fame" thats what he means as well.

Offline Monday-Night-War

• MWoA Leader
  • Forum Member
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
oh ok, i understand, so these characters would work fine in a full game environment but have to be edited for public release...makes sense and ok, maybe some chaacters will be able to take advantage of the pallete swap and have transformations that replace one of their hypers and can be sustained for a limited time...I really appreciate the help, we all know I need as much of it as I can get,lol

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[May 10, 2024, 02:44:09 PM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar