collapse

Poll

When are you getting it?

As soon as it's released...
A few weeks to a few months after release...
By year's end...
My PC is too old to have it... =-(

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 2806 times)

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 04, 2024, 12:00:37 AM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 01:29:20 AM »
Yeah... Well... I'm going to wait till I get 7 before I even touch FFU again... I tried working on someone else's char again.. just fixing it up for them as usual.... BOOM! just like.. wow... all images went to black.. palette editor doesn't work... I was like........ da he11??? So, I'm a waitin for da 7 to come out!

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »
Uno mash!

Post Merge: October 22, 2009, 02:29:15 AM
First post update. Poll will be locked in a few days....
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 02:29:15 AM by ATICE »

Offline Whoblehwah

• Infinity Graphic Designer
  • Last Login:May 23, 2019, 04:17:10 PM
  • Waka waka doo doo yeah!
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »
I might check it out someday. Vista really sucks. Theres just a bunch of little problems that add up and get really annoying. I miss XP though. On XP I was able to use my PS3 control on my comp to play emulators. Now I can't. =[

92% of people have moved onto rap. If your part of the 8% who still listen to REAL music, post this in your signature.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 08, 2023, 09:35:27 PM
  • I'm done you know where to find me. Click my sig.
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 10:34:28 PM »
Just like Excursion i am running the RTM build (look at icon) Windows 7 is fantastic. if you have the money to shell out for it BUY IT! Don't wait for all the service packs windows 7 does not need any service packs to run flawlessly. I have had only 1 issue on it. That was my internal sound card on my motherboard. It is a AC97 onboard chip by realtek. It was a pain in the butt to get installed only because realtek at the time had not gotten the driver signed for windows 7 to accept it. So my way around it was disable forced driver signing then install, then reboot. After reboot windows update picked it up installed a fully compatible driver and I have not had any problems since.

Again I highly and I mean highly recommend Windows 7. Its all the stability and performance of win XP (I have used that os for years!) with the bells and whistles of vista. Its a perfect sandwich of stability, performance and eye candy. Plus the customizations you can do on windows 7 without any third party apps is amazing. You can change the color and transparency of the whole UI plus add your own custom logon screen without any applications what so ever. It comes right out of the box with Windows 7 ultimate(can't verify for other versions)

But basically if you want a OS that is as stable and compatible as windows XP  GET WINDOWS 7. Plus for anyone who downloads/installs a lot of applications daily the windows 7 HDD management is amazing. You don't have to defrag your hard drives every week like with vista/XP. I only run defrag once every 3 months its that good. Plus memory management (read RAM) is generations ahead of vista.

The OS is rock solid. Plus if you have a good enough machine (I don't, my processor does not have the tech) you can emulate any OS. Plus it has a built in emulator for XP. If you have a program that just won't work under windows 7 toggle it for XP (don't know how because my processor does not support it) and when you launch the program, the window will change to XP. So basically the one program will have full windows XP emulation and will run.

But I know M$ has messed up a lot over the years but windows 7 is vista done right. Completely forget vista it does not exsist. Windows 7 is the new and improved vista. So take the fail from vista completely out of your mind. It does not exist anymore trust me!

My system specs incase anyone is interested :

AMD Athlon XP 64 X2 4200+ (socket 939 ancient by today's standards) clocked at 2.2 GHZ for both cores.
 2X XFX Nvidia 8800 GT Alpha dog edition (not sure if it is alpha dog.) (Overclocked straight out of the factory)

A8n-SLI Premium motherboard (socket 939! duh)
Onboard sound
2 Gigs of DDR400 (ANCIENT!!!)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

thats my machine. Old as a dinosaur by today's standards but it runs win 7 perfectly and any game I can throw at it Still!

EDIT : one last thing and then I will shut up. The new task bar (super bar as of win7) is basically a dock that stardock loves to throw out. So if you have 5-10+ applications that you use on a daily basis and don't feel like minimizing anything to access them. Right click on the shortcut of the program and hit pin to taskbar. That simple. Also they added a new fill manager called libraries (read FAVORITES) so if you have 3-5 folders on different hdds or even on different levels of 1 HDD. Set it in the library and just click on the library shortcut (already on your taskbar) and all those folders will be in one location for you to go through. The library system is a backend for windows explorer. It is tied directly into windows explorer.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:59:57 AM by ATICE »

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 03:04:11 AM »
Guys! Listen up... I have found an amazing deal on eBay. TigerDirect (you know... the very awesome pc company! :w00t:) is selling Windows 7 32-bit Professional version.. on eBay.. for $150.......... That's about half of what it is retail... so I suggest if you dont have an eBay account, but have the $ to "shell out for this" then talk to a relative or a very close friend.. See if they can order this for you.. I just asked a simple question to them yesterday and confirmed.

"Yes, this is Windows 7 Professional 32-BIT OEM version... I don't know what OEM stands for, so I looked it up.. OEM is a release to the manufacturer.... I think really... this is just the retail copy half priced... So go and get it soon.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-32BIT-Operating-System_W0QQitemZ230391062025QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Software?hash=item35a4609e09

EDIT: They explain the difference here... it's really very little differences... http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/422054-windows-oem-retail.html

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 01:16:24 PM »
OEM is what all the computer companies get that build computers. Its basically the disk and I think serial key. nothing else. No fancy box or manual. Its just the disk and license. Basically the box and manual brings up the price a good $40-$50. It also means any tech support that you need you can't call M$. With OEM's the only tech support you have is the net. They are specifically made for IT professionals or computer enthusiasts who have a good to moderate understanding of a computer, because if you screw up you can't phone M$ to beg for help. They will find out you have the OEM version and deny you service. But you still get windows updates and who needs to phone M$ now a days? Internet solves that problem nicely.

EDIT2: Also if you have a quad core and at least 4 gigs of ram, or even a dual core with 4 gigs of ram. Get the 64bit version. 32bit will be sh*t with 4gigs or more. It cannot manage or even see 4 or more of ram on a 32bit operating system. So if you have tons of ram and a dual or quad get 64bit. It is def worth it!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:21:31 PM by xPreatorianx »

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 12:50:44 AM »
Hey guys.. Forget about going to that eBay page and buying it there... you can get it for around the same price retail version for about $150 at newegg.com

Home Premium
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=windows+7+home+premium&x=17&y=27

Professional
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=windows+7+professional&x=0&y=0

Ultimate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=windows+7+ultimate&x=0&y=0

NOTE: Don't get the upgrades, because I believe they are only good for one upgrade and can only be used if you install Vista again then that again... you're better off getting the 32bit or 64bit OEM or Retail versions. Like xPx said, the only true differences between OEM and Retail is that when buying OEM it doesn't come in a fancy case with a fancy manual, and you can't call or email Microsoft for help for anything about your pc..... So... really.. you can get needed information from online and fellow techies...

Offline Kid Chyllen™♪

• The Young Lion
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 07, 2012, 07:13:43 AM
  • Smash Bros. 4 Coming to you in 2013 !
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2009, 01:00:50 AM »
win7 is a redesigned vista os. it is faster than vista on my sony vaio notebook (core2duo 1,66ghz; 2GB internal memory). i got it for free from my university  :)

Heh Heh , U lucky %%- son-of-a-b***h  :D

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »
  I do plan on getting Windows 7 ultimate OEM. I'm gonna get 64bit version. Second operating system im gonna shell out for. So if you know me that should be your reason to buy windows 7. I don't buy OS's just for the heck of it. I never bought vista. But windows 7 utlimate 64bit will be mine.

Also never get upgrade copies. upgrades on any operating system built by M$ will give you a huge pain later down the road. It may not be the first month or 2 but after the OS has time to bake on the system it will start to become unstable. Windows 7 did that to me the first time. I did not wanna lose all my information so I did an upgrade. ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS do a completely fresh install.

There are so many programs now adays to help with backing up personal files and documents so you should not have a reason to not do a complete format and install. Unless you don't have enough HDD space for the backup. Which can be an issue. but 1 TeraByte  drives are so cheap now its unbelievable.

EDIT : Or do what im doing in the next few weeks and find a old computer that you or a friend or employee has lieing around. Buy it off of one of those people and buy some HDDs and turn that computer into a file and storage server. So that every week you can set your main computer to backup all files on the computer and move them to the file server.

File servers can be extremely old. The power needs to be invested into the harddrives nothing else. Just pop linux on to that server and it runs like a dream. But be warned (im experiencing it now) Linux has a huge learning curve if you were raised around windows. It is really intimidating so have some knowledge on computers and the IT field before even attempting to put linux on the file server. I have completely screwed up my ubuntu (one of the linux distros) on this computer several times. Its a blast to try and get it back up.  But its a pain as well.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:09:07 PM by xPreatorianx »

Offline ♦ßlôödÑinjå♦

• Bloody
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:April 01, 2015, 12:04:14 PM
    • Little Infinity
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
I Just finished winning Windows 7 Home premium on ebay , I plan on selling the disc
after i finish using it , stay tuned you could get a official copy off me really cheap.

Come Chat with Us @ IMT_MUGEN_TEAM chat group - The greatest Hangout for all Mugen related Discussions.
(click to show/hide)

I don't Always browse Mugen Forums but when i do i browse Infinity. - Anthony

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2009, 03:29:30 PM »
Sounds good. but "really really cheap" will be the factor. once you use the key it loses value.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2009, 11:39:52 PM »
I Just finished winning Windows 7 Home premium on ebay , I plan on selling the disc
after i finish using it , stay tuned you could get a official copy off me really cheap.
wtf are you doing? Keep the disc and the key in case something goes haywire and you need to re-install... o.O#

Offline ♦ßlôödÑinjå♦

• Bloody
  • Contributor
    • Little Infinity
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 04:58:23 PM »
wtf are you doing? Keep the disc and the key in case something goes haywire and you need to re-install... o.O#
it comes with two version the x64 and the x32 silly.

Come Chat with Us @ IMT_MUGEN_TEAM chat group - The greatest Hangout for all Mugen related Discussions.
(click to show/hide)

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2009, 07:49:19 PM »
Then if you sell either Architecture (32bit or 64bit) the key and disk become useless as long as you have the other version. You can't use the key from the same box at the same time. Wether its on 32 or 64. M$ will see it and put the key on a blacklist which will result in both the copies being useless unless you buy yet another key.

EDIT : Unless you don't use windows update. Which now adays will still return a useless copy because windows update will make or break an OS.

Offline ♦ßlôödÑinjå♦

• Bloody
  • Contributor
    • Little Infinity
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2009, 07:52:25 PM »
Then if you sell either Architecture (32bit or 64bit) the key and disk become useless as long as you have the other version. You can't use the key from the same box at the same time. Wether its on 32 or 64. M$ will see it and put the key on a blacklist which will result in both the copies being useless unless you buy yet another key.

EDIT : Unless you don't use windows update. Which now adays will still return a useless copy because windows update will make or break an OS.
A i see now but I'm sure there will always be keys floating around in the internet.

(click to show/hide)

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:02 PM »
Still wouldn't take the chance, if I were you...

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 08:03:38 PM »
Yea no offense m8. But buying a copy of windows from someone then getting it blacklisted because that person who sold it to you still uses the key will spell disaster. You can't say well if the key is blacklisted find a crack/key on the net. That means you basically sold them a copy with the intention to still use the key. That may as well be stealing there money because M$ will see it and then both copies are useless.

Trust me I know everything about keys when it has to do with Windows. Ive been using windows since I was 2. :P

So if you decide to actually sell the copy. Give away both 32 bit + 64bit (in the retail box) and then dispose of the key and format your system. If not don't sell the copy.  Im only saying this to cover you. If you don't do that it will end really badly.

Offline x_mad80

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:September 25, 2014, 11:28:52 PM
    • xmad's mugen crap!
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
just got windows 7 it's awesome.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »
very good to know. I should be getting mine soon, too.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Again windows 7 is the new XP. That equals awesome!

EDIT: BTW you can fully customize your desktop. Change the color scheme(competely transparent or any color you want) and you can also use a wallpaper as a custom login screen. Takes 2 seconds to enable custom backgrounds for the login screen.  If you guys wanna know how to do it. Just let me know. There are some requirements tho. The image has to be in .JPG and can be no larger then 256 KB. Still makes good backgrounds tho.

EDIT2 : Guide to changing logon screen in windows 7

1.  start the group policy editor (gpedit.msc) using your favourite method.
   2. go to the following branch: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon
   3. set “Always use custom logon background” to enabled. (right click it and hit edit. Then hit enabled. )
   4. select the image you want to use as your background. it must be of the same dimensions as your primary monitor’s desktop resolution. the filesize must be less than 256kb, must be of jpg format, and must be saved as “backgroundDefault.jpg”. take note of the case!
   5. browse to “c:\windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds”. if the directories are not available, create them.
   6. paste the image we have selected in step 4 into the directory in step 5.
   7. Done!

Should be pretty straight forward. Just remember to resize your image depending on your desktop or as close to it. If not the image will be scaled up if you have a big resolution.

Easiest way to start the gpedit.msc is by using the search field on the windows start menu. Type it in and then right click , run as admin. If anyone needs any help let me know.

After that is all said and done. Then log off and log back in and while logging in you will be greeted with your new logon screen. For far better logon screens (its a pretty basic feature so far.) use a 3rd party app. But this method is if you don't feel like downloading another app that will add precious seconds to your startup time.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:21:02 PM by xPreatorianx »

Offline JDubbs

• The Black Colossus and
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 03, 2019, 09:49:31 PM
  • JDubbs: 1st Name, Last Name
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2009, 03:57:51 AM »
Im a noob when it comes to os's (i could careless either way) but should i get windows 7 from vista? and will it mess up my computer if i try to change it from something that's already established such as vista?
You think You Know Me

MK 9 mains: Ermac, Rain, Jax
MvC2 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Gambit, Bison, Charlie
MvC3 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Storm, Ryu, Taskmaster
[/URL]

MK 9 mains: Ermac, Rain, Jax
MvC2 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Gambit, Bison, Charlie
MvC3 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Storm, Ryu, Taskmaster

Offline ♦ßlôödÑinjå♦

• Bloody
  • Contributor
    • Little Infinity
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2009, 07:45:34 AM »
If your fine with vista then don't upgrade but if you want something a little better get 7

it's like Xp on steroids and that's a good thing , there's a list of compatible comp models

on the site.

(click to show/hide)

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2009, 05:18:49 PM »
Windows 7 is much better than Vista. I think everyone I know who has the $ to get 7 has gotten it. Do not get the upgrade. I recommend getting the full OEM or Retail version. You will have to re-format though, so back up all of your work onto another hard drive.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2009, 06:31:36 PM »
EDIT: Jdubbs you are using vista so you can run Windows 7. Its that simple. Just read the stuff I provided below for a detailed list of potential compatibility issues. Most can be fixed very easily tho so don't let that scare you.

Never get an upgrade copy. It may not seem an issue soon after upgrading but it will in the long run. It slowly cripples the OS. Its like a virus that activates on startup.

Also Windows 7 can run on virtually any machine that has been out for a good 4-5 years. Unless you run an old 386 (300MHZ + processor IIRC) then you can run it. Windows 7 is capable of running on netbooks (only use they have is getting on the net) so if a cheap netbook can run it. A full desktop computer can run it. You may not be able to use all the bells and whistles. but it will run.

But if you can run vista, you can run windows 7 better.

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
      1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit) (this can be lower but it may be slower)
      16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
      DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Run this program to see if your system is compatible with windows 7.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx
Download link is at the bottom of the page. Its blue.

If it says you can run it (ignore the compatibility issues unless it is a driver) then you can run it. But keep in mind if any compatibility issues are discovered usually they can be fixed. All you have to do is look for the driver online or disable enforced driver signing. Then install driver, reboot, and windows update will find a compatible driver.

Offline Kid Chyllen™♪

• The Young Lion
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:June 07, 2012, 07:13:43 AM
  • Smash Bros. 4 Coming to you in 2013 !
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2009, 06:58:47 PM »
Maybe I'll persuade my mom to get this for christmas [-O<
cause Vista is really busting my balls ~X(

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal