collapse

Author Topic: VSelect: Visual Select Screen Editor  (Read 15336 times)

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
  • Last Login:May 02, 2019, 05:45:21 PM
    • tunglashor
    • Email
Re: VSelect: Visual Select Screen Editor
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
The first one has been a constant issue in my mugen so I'm glad to have the new option.
You shoulda said something  :D
I'm glad to hear it's something that was wanted, I wasn't sure how big of a problem this was for people.

@Megabyte:

No apologies necessary, it's select-screen related so here's as good a place as any...
The trick to adding unselectable characters is to make sure you have a number of rows and columns that contain no selectable characters.  You then put your boss characters in the cross section of this area: that is, in a column and row in which no selectable characters are present.  That makes it impossible to move from a selectable character to a boss.  Here's an example: this is the visible portion of a select screen:

Here it is again with the hidden cells showing:

On the right I've shown the empty cells so you can see exactly where the characters are positioned.  As long as no selectable chars are added to the 7th column or the 4th-5th rows, the bosses will not be available.  Note: if you have any RandomSelect slots it will still be possible to randomly select one of the bosses.

Hope that's what you were after!

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Wannabe Disciple of Master Lee
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 04, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
  • Vega: Master of the Claw (along with Wolverine)
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2012, 07:35:07 PM »
Probably the single most practical update that could have come. You know how much it sucks to add "Avalanche" to a 500 char roster in alphabetical order?

Just took me about 15min to add "; Locked" to all the top blanks, and fill in 'air bubbles' I missed.

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »
Thanks  :thumbsup:
A roster in alphabetical order?  You're a glutton for punishment  ;*))

Yeah, I couldn't really think of a better way to assist with setting up the locking initially other than "do it in a text editor"  :-??  Kind of goes against the idea of doing things visually; on the other hand once it's done, it's done.

Of course if screenpack makers would include a comment on all cells that should be left blank (some creators do this), you'd just have to set the field in VSelect to whatever the comment was that they used.

Oh and if you ever want to change the comment for whatever reason, just change it in VSelect and the select.def will be updated - just remember to save it to update the comments.

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Wannabe Disciple of Master Lee
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 04, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
  • Vega: Master of the Claw (along with Wolverine)
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking, Acey you should re-release the IMT packs with the blanks built in. With a blank copy, it would just be Find + Replace button, but would save a lot of time for anyone getting the pack.

Offline Megabyte

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:August 25, 2018, 05:26:14 AM
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, Tunglashor! Someone else told me the same thing before but didn't break it down into details. Now I think I can do what I'm trying to do. :)

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2012, 10:43:56 PM »
My pleasure  ::salute::

Here's another new version!
The new feature this time is a zoom, which many users have been asking for.

Usage should be self-explanatory.  The zoom may be a little slow to take effect; probably not really suitable for constant zooming in and out.  Magnifying will probably increase memory usage and might impact performance, depending on the screenpack and how much you zoom by.  I might try to optimise it a bit in future.  In general though it should be fairly usable at 200%-300%, which I would think would be enough.

I've also added an auto-backup feature: this will attempt to make a backup of the select.def file before every save.  You'll be warned if the backup fails for some reason, and given the option to cancel the update of select.def.  The idea is to protect against any accidental loss of work.  Backups are saved in a folder named "VSelect_backups" which is located in the same folder as the select.def file.  I've enabled this feature by default, but you can disable it via the File->Options menu (Advanced tab) if you like.

That's everything I think!  Let me know if you have any problems, or any other feedback.

>>Download here<<
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:36:10 PM by tunglashor »

Offline ExeLord

• Smirking mage
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:May 01, 2024, 11:29:32 AM
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2012, 10:24:10 PM »
Thanks again for your great tool. With this updates it'll be even more comfortable =D>
What consumer society is?

"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking, Acey you should re-release the IMT packs with the blanks built in. With a blank copy, it would just be Find + Replace button, but would save a lot of time for anyone getting the pack.

I should, I have it built into my own personal version and it's only fair to share.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal