MUGEN has been around for years and still hasn't unofficially died. With Electbyte abandoning the project and people are STILL making content for it, even if it's Orochi God Evil Ghost Goku edit number 5 million, it has no sight of dying down. What I'd like to encourage the community is to work together to make an update for MUGEN or at least rewrite it completely from scratch. I think MUGEN is a pretty primitive engine and can hardly support a true full game. The goal should be make it into something that isn't just some everything VS everything AI contest and be a good source of a commercial game or full fan game making engine. I've got plenty of ideas so let's get on with them.
1. More modes. The modes we have right now is just AI vs AI, Arcade mode, Player VS AI, and that's it. I know that MUGEN is trying to emulate arcades and that's fine but I think we need more than that. What if someone wanted to make something with the quality of a home console released fighting game? Just imagine Marvel VS Capcom 2. While the modes are still generic, you are able to go through arcade mode and VS mode to unlock characters with virtual money called Zennies. So why not something like that? A zenny shop similar to MVC2. I'd also like to see more modes such as Targets, adventure (coding a sequence of events with the support of storyboards), and some kind of minigame challenge mode.
2. AI Difficulty set. For each AI, you can change their difficulty without having to go to the settings and change the difficulty yourself for ALL AI fighters. I'd like to have a really dumb partner but my opponents are the highest difficulty. It provides a nice challenge. It might even encourage character creators to use the 1.0 AI difficulty method.
3. More stage freedom. We have so much freedom for characters. So, how about we do the same for stages? We should be able to add platforms, stage hazards, or maybe even that maze effect in Pac-man where you appear at the other side when touching the corner of the screen.
4. Built in systems, such as a combo announcer, assists, and counters. Of course these can be turned off at any time.
5. More coding capabilities. One that comes up to mind is an "element typing system" for Hitdef. They should be read as HitType with attributes such as A,B,C,D,E,F,G, and H. Another one that comes up to mind is resetcombo which resets the combo back to zero and removeself which makes the player invisible.
6. The ability to see our stages. We need a preview of our stage. When we select our characters, we should be transitioning to another screen with pictures of our stages. The stages' preview could either be generated by the engine or be an image set by the stage author.
7. A tool to edit the screenpack with ease. Nuff said.
And that's all. Basically, I just want to see MUGEN be more "Full game" friendly.