collapse

Author Topic: Adding shared palette sprites  (Read 1133 times)

Offline helio

• Initiate
  • Last Login:September 16, 2022, 02:17:30 PM
  • Hi! I'm new!!
    • Email
Adding shared palette sprites
« on: April 24, 2015, 03:21:26 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to add a basic throw to Buyog's Savage Hulk.

I edited the sprites (just adding hair and changing the colors) using PhotoShop with Indexed Color mode on; and imported the .FFD sprites file with Fighter Factory Ultimate.
Although the sprites looks OK in PhotoShop, when I import them as shared palette, the colors change and looks completely different (if I imported them as non-shared palette, the sprites look good but do not change with palette selection).
However, in the Palette menu, if I choose 'Replacing the palette' in the 'Show sprite' box, the good colors are shown as I edited them. Even if a change the Character's palette, the colors change acordingly and well, so I think Fighter Factory is able to recognize the colors in the palette.

I guess I have imported the sprites wrongly or omited something in the .FFD file so Fighter Factory do not recognize the new sprite colors as palette ones.
Can someone help me or redirect me to some tutorial of how adding shared palette sprites?

Thank you very much,

Offline Cyanide

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 29, 2019, 06:52:34 AM
    • Mugen Obscurity
Re: Adding shared palette sprites
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 05:26:04 AM »
The best way to go would be to extract an existing sprite, load it in photoshop, then save the palette on it. FF has an extract sprite function.

When you save the palette you reapply it to the new sprites rather than reducing their colour depth as you normally would. This way they have the correct palette applied when you add them.

Offline helio

• Initiate
  • Hi! I'm new!!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »
The best way to go would be to extract an existing sprite, load it in photoshop, then save the palette on it. FF has an extract sprite function.

When you save the palette you reapply it to the new sprites rather than reducing their colour depth as you normally would. This way they have the correct palette applied when you add them.

Thank you very much ... but I don't get it, sorry.
I exported an original sprite to PhotoShop to copy every color (using the dropper tool) into the new sprites. For every sprite and every color, the process was: take color with the dropper from the original sprite and apply it to the new one. The colors of the new sprites are the same of the palette.
What does "save the palette on it" means?
Please, I need more details. Isn't a tutorial for it?
Thank you,

Offline Cyanide

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 29, 2019, 06:52:34 AM
    • Mugen Obscurity
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 03:47:05 AM »
I don't know how it works in photoshop as i use a very early version of paintshop pro.

Load the image you exported. It should have a palette on it already. This ought to be obvious by the "select colour" thingy i believe photoshop has. Figure out how you save that as a palette in photoshop. It'll be under the image menu or something. Load palette will be in a similar place.

It's called a color map in Gimp, photoshop may call it something else again. Once you have it saved, you can load it onto any image you want. This will give you a guaranteed correct image with palette for adding into the sff file.

Offline helio

• Initiate
  • Hi! I'm new!!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 05:58:46 AM »
Thank you again Cyanide for your comments. Excuse me for my lack of knowledge (in both Mugen and PhotoShop, actually).
In the end, it was not a problem of the palette, but of the SFF file. I have been trying and trying and I've finally got it.
When I imported the new sprites with Fighter Factory, they were copied at the end of the SFF file, before some sprites which do not share any char palette (banners, explosions, sparks and this kind of sprites which usually are at the end).
It seems that after the first non-shared palette sprite, all the following sprites are considerer as non-shared palette, and their colors are unchanged with palette selection.
If I sort the sprites in Fighter Factory (with the Organizer button) and drag the new sprites up, where the rest of the char moves are, the selected palettes are applied well to the new sprites.

Thanks again for your efforts explaining your proposed solution.

I hope this post might help someone.
Bye

Tags: shared Palette sprites 

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 [4]
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal