collapse

Author Topic: The Power of OpenBOR  (Read 2066 times)

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 01, 2024, 11:02:34 PM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
The Power of OpenBOR
« on: April 11, 2013, 05:14:01 PM »
Guys, I will paste here something I posted at Guild, so who don't knows OpenBOR maybe could learn more about it.

Specially the coders will have the same reaction as me and Zvitor had when we saw the manual.

Mugen (Elecbyte) needs to take a brief look at OpenBOR and learn a lot of things.
There are so many things that are way easier (and better) in OpenBOR that you get frustated when you come back to mugen.

For example, on scripted slams (like our Throws) the way it handle the custom animations is way smarter.

You wanna make a move that inflicts fire damage (and have fire fx)? Simply put BURN on it "hitdef" and voilá, the engine understand and treats is different from a normal hit. The engine will even make different animations for BPAIN (Burned PAIN, PAIN is the gethit animation),  BURN (Falling BURN animation), RISEB (Rise from BURN), BDIE (dying from a BURN attack) even BLOCKPAINB (Played when an entity received too much damage from 'burn' attack while blocking).

Pretty easy, no? You just need to put the animations on your char. If you don't have a BURN anim, for example, it will just display the normal PAIN animation. No "missing animations", no "invisible characters". You don't want to make it have a different anim when its killed from burn? Just remove the BDIE anim.

And the same will work for FREEZE and SHOCK animations. There are other options, like burn, freeze, shock, steal. Steal is a Drain-like move. You just put one line of code and, If this box hits a player or enemy, it will drain life from the target and give it to the attacker. Simply like that.

This is a "hitdef" from a simple burn:
burn {x} {y} {right} {down} {damage} {knockdown} {block} {noflash} {pausetime} {z}
There are more options, but its that: just one line.

Wanna make a attack which poisons the oponent? Take a look:

DOT {Index} {Time} {Mode} {Force} {Rate}

(click to show/hide)

This isn't even the tip of the Iceberg.

If you wanna learn about it, take a look at its manual (a bit outdated) http://dcemulation.org/index.php5?title=OpenBORManual

Offline ZVitor

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 01, 2024, 07:22:36 PM
    • Email
Re: The Power of OpenBOR
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 03:39:40 AM »
you can also use custom to extras, like attack[number], exemple, i used attack8 for spiderman web damage, so if enemy have pain8 anim, he use it when get this attack, if not, he does his regular pain anim.
attack7 i setted energy attack, and only bishop have pain7 at game, so he react different when get this kind of damage.

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 18, 2024, 09:21:27 PM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 04:11:07 AM »
Post this at electbyte

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 09:11:32 AM »
I will. But I now I will get replies like that http://mugenguild.com/forum/msg.1746667

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 18, 2024, 09:21:27 PM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »

That honestly sounds a bit overly simplistic.
are you freaking kidding me?  o.O# What we need is something that is easier to understand. I been in mugen since 04 and peered into code every now and again and i always say forget it it cause i dont have the time to sit back and decipher it. It doesn't seem hard but hard enough that i couldn't just drive in. This OBR Within the first five minutes i understood somethings  and they correlated to some knowledge/ Training i already have to make me want to keep reading on it. Where as mugen Starting off i understand only good hit box set up off the back.....

Edit:

Dont get me wrong I do understand more about mugen code then i did yesterday. I have done my fare share of playing with html, actions scripts, etc. and even mess with setting up 3D coding in the past. So I do get some of mugen maybe more then i thought but it bores me.  Doesnt make me want to learn more.  I just think it could be simplified too. Maybe that will help hold my attention. I already have allot to think about with other codes.

What mugen needs in a code data base? So people could just search up something and plug it in. Allot of the code we need is already out there just should be able to search it up and plug it in.......
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 03:06:07 PM by Rage »

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:47:49 PM »
That is the difference between bor and mugen: in bor, if You dont hsve something, You can actually program it (it resemble C) or even request it and the comunity will code it
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:33:51 AM by .:O:. »

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
Another great thing I discovered: you can set ANY animation to be a block, you just set one variable and its done. No complicated things.

For example, I have a enemy which blocks anything if it is in idle or walking. On Mugen, this would require some work.

Offline Sabaki

• Theory Coder
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:December 28, 2014, 03:28:33 AM
  • Busy, as always
    • Wikipedia - Sabaki's Page
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:33:16 AM »
This sounds amazing!  OpenBOR does what mugen doesn't allow without doing extra work.  But I can see why some peeps at the Guild would not like this.  OpenBOR makes creating too accessible and puts everyone on the same level.  Mugen segregates, allowing the grouping of creators bssed on skill level, or should I say those who can manipulate the mugen engine properly.

My persoanl gripe is trying to figure out how to use all expressions and equations properly in mugen. Sure some things are documented, but there's littke working examples to help understand how they work.

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
Indeed, Openbor is a great engine and you get alot more with way less needed effort . You dont need hardly as many sprites for characters...which is like the mother of all hells demons in mugen spriting characters to me. lol
i am still trying to learn the engine and trying to find out what are some restrictions it may have for ideas i got for the main layout of it. Its also crazy but i have a game on my cellphone which is an android a game called Crash Fighter 2 which combines both mugen style gameplay and a Bor style gameplay in one game. you can play either or and they are using KOF characters. I actually love it .

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 01:08:22 PM »
But I can see why some peeps at the Guild would not like this.  OpenBOR makes creating too accessible and puts everyone on the same level.  Mugen segregates, allowing the grouping of creators bssed on skill level, or should I say those who can manipulate the mugen engine properly.

Saddly, the main fault of mugen is its community. Mugen community thinks its is (and Mugen) superior of any other, when is not true. For example, in OpenBOR you actually CODE, its syntaxe is very close to C (its derivated of).

This explains what OpenBOR community think about us http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?topic=46.msg163#msg163

About the code I mentioned, its easy to understand its syntax:

Code: [Select]
@script
void e = getlocalvar("self");
int aid = getentityproperty(e, "animationid");
if(aid==openborconstant("ANI_IDLE") || aid==openborconstant("ANI_WALK"))
  changeentityproperty(e, "aiflag", "blocking", 1);
else
  changeentityproperty(e, "aiflag", "blocking", 0);
@end_script

It checks it the char (self) is on a certain animation (animationid). If the char is standing (ani_idle) or walking (ani_walk), it turns on the guard flag.

On OpenBOR, the animations are called by name, not by numbers.

Offline Tha Lando ( Le CROM )

• The coming return of the Omega Erro Sennin of CROM!
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 02:55:48 PM
  • The King Crom. Sprite HD Artist
    • Crom Interactive
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
yep illu. i can understand why each thinks of each because alot of it does deal with the community which i hope in mugen it changes much more than what i even remember back in the day to now. Some places and people in mugen will not change. Aslong as each keep thinking of the other those ways , things wont change and the more people get fed up with how Mugen community folks be, they will switch over. its sad thing but i am seeing it happen.   :-??
 i remember being at Lavalit in a chat with Plumbo and gave me alot to think about with Openbor which is why i really would love to gravitate to it alot.  My deal with limitations would be only really what we call screenpacks i think they dont and how i can get a really good designed theme going graphically in like High res quality stuff for something like that.  everything else is hardbody learning and diving into the coding aspect of it to make everything you want to be able to function especially if your new to it. I would love to go back ( and will ) to Chrono crash and speak to some of the folks there that may be able to give me more insight into developing Opebor projects that with one i have on the table and another i want to do and have been writing a doc for .  I think it will all get better and i am looking forward to learning the Openbor creating as much as i am enjoying learning Mugen creating. Both are great. :thumbsup:

Oh and that Openbor doc you posted the link to Illu....using it !!!! :w00t:

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 08:53:51 AM »
This is another point of why I love OpenBOR:

Its so simple to make it.
We have a Platform code (you just say the size of the "clsn box" of the platform), if the character jumps over it, it will land at top of it. No hack, no tricks, Simply like that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:36:08 AM by .:O:. »

Offline O Ilusionista

• IMT Content Architect
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »
Another good point of OpenBOR: Alpha Masking

Allows complete freedom in determining the transparency for sprites. With alpha masking, each pixel of each frame of an animation can have its own alpha value from 0 (fully transparent) to 255 (fully opaque).

[Sprite - Mask]

Read more at: http://www.caskeys.com/arc/games/openbor/wiki/index.php?title=Alpha_Masking

Moving this topic to public section...

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal