collapse

Author Topic: VSelect: Visual Select Screen Editor  (Read 15380 times)

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
  • Last Login:May 02, 2019, 05:45:21 PM
    • tunglashor
    • Email
Re: VSelect: Visual Select Screen Editor
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2011, 09:44:31 AM »
It works on all versions of Mugen.
Right.  Sorry, I missed this question - thanks Luigi Master for answering.

OK, time for another update  :thumbsup:

This time I've added a stage list:

It shows the characters in your roster, sorted by the stages they're currently using.  The list is split into two categories:

• Included: All stages that will appear in the stage selection list in VS mode.  So, all stages assigned to characters with "includestage" not set to 0, and all Extra Stages.
  • Excluded: Any stages assigned only to characters with "includestage" set to 0, and any other stages in the Stages folder that aren't being used.

You can drag characters from one stage to another, or from the select grid onto a stage, etc.  Note that a stage becomes "included" if any character assigned to it has "includestage" set to 1 - so for example, in the setup shown above, if you were to open Captain Commando's properties and tick the Include Stage box, the stage would automatically move to the Included section.  By the same logic, if this box was unticked for Ken then his stage would move to the Excluded section - unless it was also present in the Extra Stages section.

Other options: if you right-click on a character or stage in the list you can use the Include/Exclude Stage options to change the status of the stage, or No Stage to clear the selected characters' stages (and so remove them from the list).

I hope this provides an intuitive way of managing stages.  It was a fairly complex update and I haven't had a lot of free time to test it so please, let me know if you find any bugs or any other problems.  All feedback is welcome of course.  Enjoy  :)

Download here
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:28:17 PM by tunglashor »

Offline Royal_Squat

• Extraterrestrial space police robot
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:April 28, 2024, 12:06:44 PM
  • Greatness is earned
    • Royal_Squat
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »
Not sure where to download this update. I've been using VSelect for a while now and I must Admit, I wouldn't go back to my old way. Amazing Program :)

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
Not sure where to download this update.
Oops, sorry, somehow I failed to include a link  o.O#
Although for future reference, the link is always the same so you can just use the one in the first post to get the latest version.

Here you go

I've been using VSelect for a while now and I must Admit, I wouldn't go back to my old way. Amazing Program :)
Thank you!  I'm glad to know you find it useful.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:28:43 PM by tunglashor »

Offline Luigi-Master

• Skull fetishist
  • Forum Member
  • Last Login:December 08, 2013, 03:47:08 AM
  • Soviet enthusiast
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
I had my computer wiped yet again, but now I cam prepared for the character installation process, thanks to this tool!

It's too useful to be ignored, people.

Offline owenrocel

• Last Login:March 06, 2012, 09:43:41 AM
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 11:49:33 AM »
superb thank you for making my life easier

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:December 05, 2022, 10:43:15 PM
  • "Victory means nothing, the fight is everything."
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
Back in my day we had to arrange characters manually, you young whipper snappers and your new fangled VSelect tools. Why, if I wanted to arrange my roster I can to cut and paste on a text file or just type it out again, and if there as a typo you had to go find it, up hill, both ways!

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:May 13, 2024, 11:35:44 AM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »
Back in my day we had to arrange characters manually, you young whipper snappers and your new fangled VSelect tools. Why, if I wanted to arrange my roster I can to cut and paste on a text file or just type it out again, and if there as a typo you had to go find it, up hill, both ways!
:D

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Wannabe Disciple of Master Lee
  • Infinity Faithful
  • Last Login:July 04, 2018, 10:39:08 PM
  • Vega: Master of the Claw (along with Wolverine)
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
Didn't Tuglashor just release another version w/ characters being Included/Excluded as well?

Offline boogerboy

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:January 24, 2024, 09:33:01 AM
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »
Well, at least it's a good thing that this tool helped me with my roster. Heck, I first saw this on the MUGEN 1.0 versions of the IMT Red and Blue screen packs!
Game on!

Offline thepacifist

• Initiate
  • Last Login:March 24, 2021, 02:38:08 PM
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:07 AM »
Wow! So THAT is what the hitherto unknown to me "vselect" program was in the IMT screenpack. Guess I should have been more adventurous. :)

This is a really great program. As a recent convert to 1.0, love that its works with 1.0. Thanks!

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2011, 01:11:54 PM »
Didn't Tuglashor just release another version w/ characters being Included/Excluded as well?
I did!  But it seems I forgot to post about it o.O#

So this just adds a new column to the Characters list - the list that shows every character in your Chars folder - which shows whether the character is currently present in your roster.  If you click the column heading the list will be sorted into "Included" and "Excluded" sections.

Incidentally, in case it wasn't obvious: you can sort the list in this way for any of the columns.  So for example if you wanted to sort the list into "Included/Excluded" in reverse alphabetical order, you could click the "Alias" column heading twice, then the "Included" column.

Download here

Wow! So THAT is what the hitherto unknown to me "vselect" program was in the IMT screenpack. Guess I should have been more adventurous. :)

This is a really great program. As a recent convert to 1.0, love that its works with 1.0. Thanks!
::salute:: Glad to know you find it useful.  I'm honoured to have it bundled with the screenpack, didn't know about that ;*))

There's lots more I want to do with this tool but for now I have no time to do it.  I'll try to remember to update when I do..!

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2011, 01:21:33 PM »
One thing I'd like to point out, is that Vselect doesn't work very well with Broken Mugen.

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2011, 01:27:18 PM »
I remember testing with Broken Mugen and all seemed OK, apart from a few cosmetic issues (the graphics lib I use doesn't support some of Mugen's transparency settings).  I don't recall any issues that affected usability though - can you be more specific?

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2011, 01:29:17 PM »
He doesn't support the drag n' drop well, neither right clicking on the select screen cells. I'll test with this latest version to see if these errors persist.

(It's with the 1.0 version, by the way)

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
Thanks.  I never tested with the 1.0 version (don't think it existed back then) so that's probably it.  I'll look into it when I have a minute.

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
Thanks.  I never tested with the 1.0 version (don't think it existed back then) so that's probably it.  I'll look into it when I have a minute.

I use this in all of my 1.0 screen packs, it works like a charm.  :-??

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
I use this in all of my 1.0 screen packs, it works like a charm.  :-??
Ah, well I did test with various 1.0 screenpacks but not brokenMUGEN 1.0.

I just took a look and the problem actually lies with the coding of the screenpack.  For example for the 48-slot version if you open System48.def and find the following lines:

Code: [Select]
cell.size = 15,15
cell.spacing = 23

These values are wrong, but as far as Mugen is concerned all that matters is they add up to the right value.  VSelect however needs them to be correct so it knows what area each small portrait occupies.  So if you change them to:

Code: [Select]
cell.size = 30,30
cell.spacing = 8

That should fix the problem.  I'm guessing the other variants might need similar editing but I haven't checked them all.  Let me know if you need help correcting them.

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Infinity Faithful
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
Hey any ideas on having the ability to single out characters without stages?
And (this may be a bit of a stretch) maybe stages without music?
These would definitely save me a lot of time.

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »
Update: I've uploaded a new version that fixes a couple of bugs that were reported. Thanks for the feedback everybody  :thumbsup:  Link is the same as before.

Hey any ideas on having the ability to single out characters without stages?
And (this may be a bit of a stretch) maybe stages without music?
These would definitely save me a lot of time.
I do plan to add a section to the Stages list for characters that don't have a stage assigned.  For now, one way would be to select both the Included and the Excluded nodes in the Stages list (hold down Shift and click each node).  That will highlight all characters that have a stage assigned, which means all characters not highlighted are lacking stages.

I might do something about stage music at some point as well, it's just a matter of getting the time to do it.

Offline SanjiSasuke

• Infinity Faithful
    • SanjiSasuke's Lair
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2011, 01:19:09 PM »
Ah, thanks for the tip.

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2012, 07:50:29 PM »
Update!

Just a little tweak this time (all I have time for at the moment).  Some people pointed out that if you have your Extra Stages in a particular order then this is lost when editing with VSelect (they all get sorted into alphabetical order).  So, this update is to prevent that from happening.  It's not a new feature as such - there are no options for re-ordering stages or anything like that - but it means you can keep them organised as you wish and still use VSelect without it interfering.  The stages will still be listed in alphabetical order within VSelect (since it lists all stages, not just Extra Stages, and so has to order them consistently) but in Mugen they should be in the order specified in the select.def file.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions  ::salute::
Download here

Offline C.R.O.M.-Mugen-Ninja

• The One And Only Ninja
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:March 06, 2023, 09:49:01 AM
  • The Ninja is never gone ~
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2012, 11:44:28 PM »
Oh Yeah, that's the only thing that's been bugging me about it, and now it will be perfect, thank you for this update :D
For many years, Mugen has been a passion to the Ninja, and still today it is. From 09' n' til this day ~

Keep fighting, keep struggling, keep creating, and have fun ~

Offline tunglashor

• Contributor
    • tunglashor
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2012, 02:15:49 PM »
Here's a new feature!  I had a request to make the program better at automatically managing the layout - so that for example instead of this:

you'd get this:

In other words, a way of protecting specific parts of the grid so that characters are never moved into those parts of the screen.

The solution I came up with was to enable a cell to be locked by marking it in the select.def file with a specific comment.  If you enable this feature, any cells marked with this comment will be treated by the program as locked and their contents will never be changed.  This can be used on empty cells (to protect the layout of the grid) or on character cells (to prevent those characters from being moved).  Here's a demo:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwm5Z3jNHgM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Qwm5Z3jNHgM</a>

Another new feature: this one is for anyone who fills their empty cells with RandomSelect icons.  Currently, if you have no empty cells (because they're all taken up by RandomSelects) it can be difficult to use VSelect to add characters because it will always ask you "do you want to replace the character in this cell?".  So I've added the option for RandomSelect cells to be automatically overwritten in this scenario.  Another demo to clarify (I hope):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ziup4LK_Rw8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ziup4LK_Rw8</a>

I hope these are useful.  Adding support for locking cells was a hell of a lot more work than I'd expected ~X(
Please let me know if you find any bugs, or anything else that seems off.  Enjoy!

Get it here
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:21:18 PM by tunglashor »

Offline Acey

• Infinity Administrator
    • Infinity Wiki - Acey
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
Those are great additions! The first one has been a constant issue in my mugen so I'm glad to have the new option. Thank you!

Offline Megabyte

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:August 25, 2018, 05:26:14 AM
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »
Thanks for the new updates and additions, Tunglashor! I do have a request/question...and this may actually be something I can ask in the Help section, but I wanna try here first just in case: is there a way to either a) make certain characters A.I. only or just plain unselectable in game? I wanna do this to make certain characters 'bosses'...I know someone said that I basically have to put them in a part of the select screen that makes them unreachable, but I tried that and most screenpacks for 1.0 and such use select screens that, even WITH the use of hidden cells, are pretty much 'square-shaped'...so putting the bosses down on the bottom of the select screen, even though off-screen, they are still reachable...again I apologize if this is better meant for the Help section... ::salute::

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

Classic VS : Athena by ELECTRO
[Today at 01:25:51 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[May 12, 2024, 10:20:11 AM]

Ballroom Hallway (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[May 09, 2024, 11:53:48 AM]

Neon Light Force Demo by kyoman
[May 08, 2024, 12:50:05 PM]

Lasombra's IKEMEN Go Interactive Stages' WIP Topic and Releases by Lasombra Demon
[April 21, 2024, 12:09:20 PM]

Ultimate E. Honda + stage by ELECTRO
[April 18, 2024, 09:47:24 PM]

Sunset Beach (1.1 Only/AIGS) by Vegaz by LightFlare
[April 16, 2024, 06:55:00 PM]

Wonder Twins 2.0 by brucewayne74, Shining and Skhsato123 by brucewayne74
[April 05, 2024, 06:07:48 PM]

X-Men Training Room (Bright & Dark) Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[April 05, 2024, 10:55:29 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista
[April 01, 2024, 11:03:03 PM]

* IMT Calendar