collapse

Author Topic: People who's works are/aren't open source!  (Read 67651 times)

Offline MGMURROW

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:August 18, 2022, 06:04:45 PM
    • MGMURROW
Re: People who's works are/aren't open source!
« Reply #225 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:42 AM »
You can add my works to the NOT OPEN SOURCE list.

MGMURROW

Offline esn23

• Forum Member
  • Last Login:July 07, 2023, 02:38:39 PM
    • Email
« Reply #226 on: March 21, 2013, 02:38:43 AM »
Please add my works to not open sourse
*Note Soon

Offline laspacho

• RMM Project Leader
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:April 21, 2024, 07:31:48 PM
  • Robot Master
    • Infinity Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #227 on: March 27, 2013, 05:57:14 PM »
Get with Laspacho, he made contact when we tried before.

I did contact Maitake on 7/25/11 about Volnutt and he refused.  I still have the e-mail actually.  You guys are right it has been a while so I just sent him another e-mail asking about it again.  We'll see what happens this time.

Offline navs41

• Dark Phoenix Saga Contributor
  • Last Login:April 26, 2024, 01:04:09 PM
« Reply #228 on: March 30, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »
Navs41 - NOT OPEN SOURCE.

Best topic ever. :)

Offline HyperVoiceActing

• Mugen Voice Actor
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:June 18, 2022, 11:16:39 PM
  • It GLOWS!
« Reply #229 on: March 30, 2013, 08:16:20 PM »
HyperSonic92 - Only if you have permission

Offline laspacho

• RMM Project Leader
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:April 21, 2024, 07:31:48 PM
  • Robot Master
    • Infinity Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »
assume that someone on this team must know or able to reach him. can we try contacting him again? i was looking at his roll sprites.

I tried to contact him one last time and he declined.  Sorry.

Offline Twinimage

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 06, 2020, 01:45:48 PM
« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2013, 03:59:30 PM »
Twinimage - Sprites aren't open source. Took too much work to let someone else mess with them. Sorry. :(
Code - The way I see it, I didn't "create" the code, I just used it as a tool to make my characters playable. I want to say open source, but some pieces were given to me by fellow Project X members. So please ask which parts you want to use.

Offline RG op

• Initiate
  • Last Login:January 15, 2024, 05:50:37 PM
  • Disciple of Ogun
« Reply #232 on: April 01, 2013, 04:22:16 PM »
RG_Op
with my previous permission

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 01:08:06 AM
  • "Create the Un-Creatable"
« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
Arkadyrossovitch (aka Arch_)
permission needed
but otherwise NOT open source
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:48:06 AM by Arch »

Offline ZVitor

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:January 01, 2024, 07:22:36 PM
    • Email
« Reply #234 on: April 01, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
"ZVitor is opensource?"

Offline Snakebyte

• Initiate
  • Last Login:December 26, 2021, 09:56:15 PM
    • Email
« Reply #235 on: April 01, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »
Not that I have much work to speak of yet, but for future reference, please ask first.

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 27, 2024, 11:21:03 AM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
"ZVitor is opensource?"

THIS, hahahahaha

Offline Warrior

• Contributor
  • Last Login:February 11, 2016, 12:53:08 AM
  • Warrior
« Reply #237 on: March 16, 2014, 04:27:46 AM »
Last I checked, Xboy's sprites are open sourced, no?
Don't recall the source of this..but I'm not trying to spread misinformation.
I'm back!

Offline Trinitronity

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:January 13, 2023, 01:26:38 PM
  • Working on coming back to MUGEN
    • Email
« Reply #238 on: March 16, 2014, 05:51:15 AM »
Okay, could someone please tell me why this exists?
I'm mainly asking this because I think the idea of some things being not open-source and the idea of permission very stupid. If you don't want someone to use your work, just don't release it. It's really that easy.

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:April 27, 2024, 11:21:03 AM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
Re: Re: People who's works are/aren't open source!
« Reply #239 on: March 16, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
Okay, could someone please tell me why this exists?
I'm mainly asking this because I think the idea of some things being not open-source and the idea of permission very stupid. If you don't want someone to use your work, just don't release it. It's really that easy.
Its not that easy. Some communities accepts it, some note. The idea is half right, half wrong.
For me, its just a matter of to have RESPECT and GOOD SENSE. Its polite to at least check with the creator about it, or at least to CREDIT him for that.
On cases of custom made stuff (like sprites), this is more delicated. Always contact the creator, at least is what I think.

The "If you don't want someone to use your work, just don't release it." rule is BS. There are many things on the internet that you can't simple modify as you want to.

Offline ~Hale "R@CE" Caesar~

• Special Ops Mugen Creator
  • Last Login:March 10, 2024, 04:28:06 PM
  • This big boy spitting out 250 rounds a minute!!!
« Reply #240 on: March 16, 2014, 11:01:32 AM »
Wow... I really can't believe what I'm seeing....

Well while it is good to ask permission, which of course it is. i for one go by my own code with using someone else's stuff.

For example, someone's sprites... If I know you enough, I might ask out of respect, but if I don't, I will atleast credit you and let it be known that you were the one who did the sprites....

However if I'm the one who did all the coding from scratch, haha I'm sorry but its partly mine too because of all of the work I put into it as well. Especially if I took the sprites of the character and made it play amazing...

Regardless of how some may feel, there are alot of characters out there that just dont play good at all, and this is needed inorder for someone to fix them and make them play awesome. And some creators just are too stubborn to let you have permission to use their sprites.

I would atleast release the character like this "Ryu by R@CE & Blah Bah" so both would get credit if I haven't contacted the author.

Its all about that credit, but at the end of the day, its up to you to do that.

Also, I would never edit or release another version of something no where near the same time as the original author has released their version of there character. Its just rude to do so and plain out BS.

Offline verz36

• The Unlimited
  • Last Login:October 09, 2023, 12:31:46 PM
« Reply #241 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:50 AM »
add me to the list of not open source please... :)

Offline The King Sic-1™

• The King of Mugen & Best in the World!
  • Last Login:February 28, 2018, 11:47:27 AM
  • Head over to http://sicgraphicsmugen.darkbb.com/
    • TheTrueSic-1
    • SicGraphicsMugen
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2014, 11:17:20 AM »
Hey, The King Sic-1 here....

Nothing i do is open source, I do have some exceptions tho.

I have had some great creators here in mugen come and ask me if they can use some of my stuff, and they can tell you, i usually say yes.
and I thank them for having the respect to ask me. thanks guys! you know who you are.

but on the other hand.... there are some people that will never be allowed to use my work.... ever....

i guess my stand on this is.... it's not that hard to ask someone if its OK to use their work.

I understand what R@ce is saying when it comes to character patches.

Offline Trinitronity

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:January 13, 2023, 01:26:38 PM
  • Working on coming back to MUGEN
    • Email
« Reply #243 on: March 16, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
Its not that easy. Some communities accepts it, some note. The idea is half right, half wrong.
For me, its just a matter of to have RESPECT and GOOD SENSE. Its polite to at least check with the creator about it, or at least to CREDIT him for that.
On cases of custom made stuff (like sprites), this is more delicated. Always contact the creator, at least is what I think.

The "If you don't want someone to use your work, just don't release it." rule is BS. There are many things on the internet that you can't simple modify as you want to.
Like I said, I don't really see the idea behind permission as something clever. However, I do think that the creator needs to be credited. Yes, CREDITED, but not more. As long as the user uses stuff from the creator for WORKSAFE things, crediting the creator IS enough to show respect to the creator, because crediting the creator means that that is was in fact the CREATOR who did it, and NOT the user of the creation.
Permission, on the other hand, is just nonsense and not useful, because there are still people, who ignore ask for permission. And there is nothing that can be done against that, because it's FAN art. I know that stealing the work of someone else is stupid shouldn't be tolerated, but crediting someone is enough, and the "DON'T USE WITHOUT PERMISSION" will only encourage other people to exactly do the opposite, and since it's fan art, there is nothing that can be done against it.
Oh, and the "If you don't want someone to use your work, just don't release it." rule is NOT bull, but the only thing the creator can do if he doesn't want other people to use his creations, and it's extremely easy.

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 12:02:24 AM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #244 on: March 16, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »
Like I said, I don't really see the idea behind permission as something clever. However, I do think that the creator needs to be credited. Yes, CREDITED, but not more. As long as the user uses stuff from the creator for WORKSAFE things, crediting the creator IS enough to show respect to the creator, because crediting the creator means that that is was in fact the CREATOR who did it, and NOT the user of the creation.
Permission, on the other hand, is just nonsense and not useful, because there are still people, who ignore ask for permission. And there is nothing that can be done against that, because it's FAN art. I know that stealing the work of someone else is stupid shouldn't be tolerated, but crediting someone is enough, and the "DON'T USE WITHOUT PERMISSION" will only encourage other people to exactly do the opposite, and since it's fan art, there is nothing that can be done against it.
Oh, and the "If you don't want someone to use your work, just don't release it." rule is NOT bull, but the only thing the creator can do if he doesn't want other people to use his creations, and it's extremely easy.
You create stuff from scratch then maybe you'll change your tune.

I believe that permission should be sought because for custom works allot of heart goes into it. My works will be open source once i have releases and that is only because this is the the internet and there isn't much you can do to stop people. If it was a way to stop people then id ask people to seek permission because some people are not worthy/ skilled enough to touch my work.

And that bring up the second point. If you create something then someone comes behind you and turns it in to spit as a character artist/ Animator i would be highly offended. But again this is the net and what are you going to do. In the end it isn't worth the trouble. RL is what is important and this stuff here is nothing to lose sleep over. I carry a glass half full attitude because i grown allot since i started mugen. I've seen people come and go; People fall out. I've lost friends due to mugen. Its isn't worth the trouble and to lose a friend over this is asinine. People are irreplaceable; Above the mugen i cherish the connections i made with the people here. They may tee me off sometimes but disagreements are to be expected and welcomed because they allow us to expand your minds by seeing the world through someone else eyes.  So yeah people  will place rules on things that really don't hold water because  this is a hobby using other companies ip's. In the end its nothing to get your feelings hurt over because it isn't much you can do beyond not releasing publicly. We all have feeling over this matter but the rule can't be set in stone. The Saying is, "its going to happen". That means people  are probably going to using your material, expect it, and move on.

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 01:08:06 AM
  • "Create the Un-Creatable"
« Reply #245 on: March 16, 2014, 12:52:52 PM »
I don't see why someone can't just contact the creators of whatever first before releasing said re-work, true that crediting is the most important part of the process, but permission itself really is about respect enough to let that person know that whoever is going to take a stab at improvements on the work originally created, I say this coz I find some characters aren't entirely created by one person, and can ruffle features with work groups and projects

I mean why invest your time and effort and not be credited, or notified by whoever wishes to re create your work, most cases you'll see a "hell yeah, improve it for me" some cases a " no, I'm still updating that to be better"

I like to think that if a creator wants to work on something they can but pay respect enough to contact them about it, I've asked for "permission" plenty of times and usually if the creator can see an improvement from this they'll say yes

that said, open source rule is about communication, if you can't bother to respect that and hide behind "its the internet, it all free, why even bother" then good luck on making future relationships on help and trust within the communities in and around mugen,  I think it's just common sense

Offline dev.

• Contributor
  • Last Login:March 19, 2024, 03:08:03 PM
« Reply #246 on: March 16, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »
I don't see why someone can't just contact the creators of whatever first before releasing said re-work, true that crediting is the most important part of the process, but permission itself really is about respect enough to let that person know that whoever is going to take a stab at improvements on the work originally created, I say this coz I find some characters aren't entirely created by one person, and can ruffle features with work groups and projects

I mean why invest your time and effort and not be credited, or notified by whoever wishes to re create your work, most cases you'll see a "hell yeah, improve it for me" some cases a " no, I'm still updating that to be better"

I like to think that if a creator wants to work on something they can but pay respect enough to contact them about it, I've asked for "permission" plenty of times and usually if the creator can see an improvement from this they'll say yes

that said, open source rule is about communication, if you can't bother to respect that and hide behind "its the internet, it all free, why even bother" then good luck on making future relationships on help and trust within the communities in and around mugen,  I think it's just common sense

Well, my friend, you should ask your friends from MMV why. I'm also curious to know why is so hard to ask for permission.

Offline jax123

• Initiate
  • Last Login:August 02, 2023, 06:19:00 PM
« Reply #247 on: March 16, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
Hey guys i'm jax123 AKA max007
Nope i'm sorry,i can't help you with the open source,i'm sometimes help with my friends from CC (ONLY CC :rules:)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:39:07 PM by jax123 »

Offline Skeletor-EX

• Artist, Musician, Video producer.
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:August 22, 2014, 10:21:32 PM
  • The truth HELPS! Not hurts... LISTEN!!
    • Skeletor-EX Mugen Youtube video channel...
    • Email
« Reply #248 on: March 16, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
This is ridiculous... smh  You guys are still following this old rule? Once you post something on the internet, you can't dictate wtf someone else does with it. If you don't want it used, don't release it! As long as the editor credits you for the release in the first place, that should be respect enough. At least your name is on it as the originator of the work. All this "You can't use my stuff" crap is idiotic. And like Trinitronity said, it's not gonna do anything but encourage the opposite! Yall need stop with all this. It's nonsense. And if people don't credit you, yeah it's messed up, but that's the chance you take when releasing things! Surely you guys have to know this. Thinking that everyone's gonna follow this unnecessary and ridiculous rule is beyond delusional. Your're fooling yourselves...

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:Today at 12:02:24 AM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #249 on: March 16, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »

^^(PM)^ Thats life you speak of good ...Sir/ Lady. Many people just throw people under the bus for there own goals/ to obtain success.   they can became successful but it is often a hard path and most often end up alone. Its all about networking and respect. And it is not common since those days. This world is very negative and value are becoming relics of the past.

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal