collapse

Author Topic: People who's works are/aren't open source!  (Read 66922 times)

Offline ~Hale "R@CE" Caesar~

• Special Ops Mugen Creator
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 10, 2024, 04:28:06 PM
  • This big boy spitting out 250 rounds a minute!!!
Re: Re: People who's works are/aren't open source!
« Reply #250 on: March 16, 2014, 01:54:31 PM »
Lets be real, as long as it isn't your character that isn't being edited/sprites being used etc... You wouldn't care not one bit.If its something you find awesome and you like the way it plays, your going to download it and keep it. And I know this for a fact....

Here's my points on the matter (Only read if you want to)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:09:21 PM by ~R@CE AKIR@~ »

Offline Skeletor-EX

• Artist, Musician, Video producer.
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:August 22, 2014, 10:21:32 PM
  • The truth HELPS! Not hurts... LISTEN!!
    • Skeletor-EX Mugen Youtube video channel...
    • Email
« Reply #251 on: March 16, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »
I'm more than positive that NONE of you creators asked Capcom, SNK, etc to rip ANY of their sprites from their respective games. The very fact that you've even done that means you don't even follow your own rule! I'm sure they never meant for any of YOU to take their work and edit it as you please, yet they don't seem to mind much at all. Cause if they did, we'd all be shut down, or they'd be trying to shut things down. Like I said in my earlier comment, you people are fooling yourselves. Take credit where credit is due. Once you put something on the web, it's no longer really yours. It's the worlds... That is unless you have a patent on it. Which none of you do... smh... Ridiculous...

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 27, 2024, 06:06:54 PM
  • "Create the Un-Creatable"
« Reply #252 on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
Vaild points here race, you most probably right regarding who actually does care when it comes to whoever gets the work remade by another, but then again there isn't an actual site or persons that go around policing the content, on behalf of the original author

the discussion of open source gets brought up, generally when there's a rejection in permission somewhere in the world of the mugen communities,
I find it's really not a major issue, if I can't work on something,my example is blob by mythsoftyboo, and magus, asked for permission, magus said no, coz still working it, I'm cool with that, doesn't mean I'll go ahead to do it, just coz the internets accessible enough to get what I need, to do it regardless, I would rather ask later on with a sort of blessing you might say, hell it might be more updated, of the author wishes to hand it off, but you would never know if you never bother to at least contact for permission in the first place, many instances I've come across situations just like that, not all my work is started by me.

I know the issue is that there is creators who don't want their work edited period, and like it has been stayed many times over on these threads, I kinda see i, there F'all that can be done about it, many creators wonder why they should bother releasing their work, if its going to fiddled with improvements or not, I'm not going to say I'm one of them, but I'd like to think that there are creators that, would like to know what's happening to their own original creation that they worked hard to create for the general public to enjoy, regardless whether they give their blessing, maybe like r@ce pointed out a certain time passes, a full 2-3 years and it can be (as capcoms creations for an, example) automatic open source, I see that as fair game, its happened regardless of permissions and if updates were going to done, the author would have done them by then, I don't see a problem, but as I said I rather still like to know, not for permissions sake just more for any extra help or added work yet to be implemented, its great to see others improve on past works, ad long as it is actually an improvement

some of you folks are really harping on with the whole rule sux, but its not a big deal, be who you be, if you wanna create something do it, just pay respects, or "credits" but don't hide behind internet's my free right to do whatever, and preach about it, everyone works differently, and they have different views on creation, every 3-6 months there's some discussion about "permissions"  just do or don't, make up up your own mind on that, and create, don't preach, and keep off my wave (my favorite sound garden song ....religion, beliefs whatever, keep off my wave)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:44:16 PM by Arch »

Offline Skeletor-EX

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #253 on: March 16, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
So... I see you haven't addressed my last comment yet Mr. Arch. Hmm... What can you really say against it? I'd love to know...

« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2014, 02:56:37 PM »
Oh don't worry, because no matter what, I'm going to do what I do best. And I'm not asking unless I feel the need to ask for permission.

Plus I never took all of this stuff seriously anyway because of what I just said and believe in.

This whole thread was made to begin with because others thought it was big deal to them to let people know who is closed source and who isn't.

Not saying you were talking directly to me nor am I taking it like you were but just to let everyone know I wasn't preaching,  I was merely sharing my views on the matter is all because others were. Besides others who were against open source were doing just as much "Preaching" as others.

I felt as though I had to prove my points as well, so that is why I said read if you want to

And I didn't realize we were on anyone's wave, I thought this was merely a discussion. lol

Just sayin....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:04:24 PM by ~R@CE AKIR@~ »

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »
nah Race I wasn't talking about yourself, was talking in general when it come to these threads that get hi-jacked by the rebellious rule-haters :D I see It on most sites I visit, but like I see most of the points that brought up, and yeah they make sense, and proves hypocrits of everyone who get upset when they get their work used (or abused) all i'm sayin is pretty much what you said already, do whatever you feel is best, its really the work your crediting not the creator

skelotor-X not sure what you your asking me, maybe quote it so I can address it, not sure I need to though, i'm not really pro or con this discussion , i'm just bored and having a "lando-esk" essay-a-thon to pass the time

Offline Skeletor-EX

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »
nah Race I wasn't talking about yourself, was talking in general when it come to these threads that get hi-jacked by the rebellious rule-haters :D I see It on most sites I visit, but like I see most of the points that brought up, and yeah they make sense, and proves hypocrits of everyone who get upset when they get their work used (or abused) all i'm sayin is pretty much what you said already, do whatever you feel is best, its really the work your crediting not the creator

skelotor-X not sure what you your asking me, maybe quote it so I can address it, not sure I need to though, i'm not really pro or con this discussion , i'm just bored and having a "lando-esk" essay-a-thon to pass the time

Scroll up to my previous comments about not asking permission to use any of Capcom's or SNK's sprites. It's all there...

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »
i'm pretty sure that's all "open-source" so I still don't get what you want me to answer

listen i'm not looking for a debate, I just viewed my opinion, as did everyone else, I never made the rules, but I respect them, even if it has its flaws, regardless, I know I can make creations without needing to use someone's else's work now, and if I don't I'll ask purely to show respect to the work.
i'm really not out to quote scripture or create a tablet of commandments, do whatever tickles your fancy and have fun, just be respectful to those who don't "believe" in the same thing, otherwise we'll once again create another mugen religion debate

Offline Skeletor-EX

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
i'm pretty sure that's all "open-source" so I still don't get what you want me to answer

listen i'm not looking for a debate, I just viewed my opinion, as did everyone else, I never made the rules, but I respect them, even if it has its flaws, regardless, I know I can make creations without needing to use someone's else's work now, and if I don't I'll ask purely to show respect to the work.
i'm really not out to quote scripture or create a tablet of commandments, do whatever tickles your fancy and have fun, just be respectful to those who don't "believe" in the same thing, otherwise we'll once again create another mugen religion debate

No debate necessary! It is what it is. I don't recall any of those companies saying their sprites were open source, yet people still rip them and use them anyway. All I'm saying asking is, how can these guys tell others not to use their works without permission, when they themselves are using the works of these companies? It's all nonsense. Respect is given once the original author is credited. Unless these creators start asking these companies for permission, they're hypocrites. And shouldn't be trying to enforce their rules upon the rest of us...

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2014, 05:54:39 PM »
cool, looks like you've answered your own question, but as for the rule, it exists, either you can follow it and throw a temper tantrum every time someone posts about how fkd it is, or just don't follow it  and do whatever you believe, no ones gonna try and convert you into believing otherwise, through an mugen post thread, I see no "point" making points, its redundant, and getting boring :O*D

Offline Skeletor-EX

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2014, 06:10:32 PM »
Temper tantrum?? lol This is amusing to me! Continue following these hypocritical rules. lol my point's been made, and is a fact that cannot be challenged... Peace! :)

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 21, 2024, 10:58:34 AM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
Re: People who's works are/aren't open source!
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
I'm more than positive that NONE of you creators asked Capcom, SNK, etc to rip ANY of their sprites from their respective games.
And here we go again. I keep hearing this kind of comment for about 14 years. And it keeps poping up...

GUYS, this topic is meant to be a record of who is opensource and who is not opensource on THIS forum.
Please, stop derailing the topic. Specially with things like FORUM X versus FORUM Y.

The topic was splitted.

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »
geez O, 14 years and your still here, gotta love mugen

Offline O Ilusionista

• Since 1999 and kicking :)
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 21, 2024, 10:58:34 AM
  • OpenBOR & Mugen addicted
    • BMT - Brazil Mugen Team
    • Email
« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
in fact, it will be 15 years at december :)

Offline Arkady

• IMT Content Architect
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »
Awesome stuff

« Reply #265 on: March 16, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
I can't believe all the posts got deleted......SMH

It wasn't even necessary, but then again... I'm not even surprised....

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 27, 2024, 11:59:10 PM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #266 on: March 16, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
I can't believe all the posts got deleted......SMH

It wasn't even necessary, but then again... I'm not even surprised....
Are you freaking serious!

Edit: Locking thread. Ill fix it.

Edit: thread repaired.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 07:46:32 PM by Rage »

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline Rage

• IMT Princess
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:March 27, 2024, 11:59:10 PM
  • The trend setter
« Reply #267 on: March 16, 2014, 08:00:15 PM »
So lets get back to the question that sparked this derailment since forum runs under the permission rule.

Last I checked, Xboy's sprites are open sourced, no?
Don't recall the source of this..but I'm not trying to spread misinformation.

So does anyone know? To my knowledge X is open to letting other use his work but contact letting him know of your usage. Its been a year or more since i read this some where so you probably want a better source of information. I dont travel outside imt much over the past few years.

I AM THE PRINCESS. LOVE ME!!!     
Proud supporter of CROM                 DONT CLICK THIS LINK...

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #268 on: March 16, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »
I guess Since I've made two things and working on a third right now I might as well state it.

My code is open source 100% I don't really care if you edit it or whatever, but it'd be nice if you could tell me.

My sprites on the other hand, are not. You will have to ask me.

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #269 on: March 17, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »
Any sprite edits ive done are fine to use for a base. It doesnt put food on my table at home or money in my pocket. BUT just be respectful to give credits to where the source came from. its common sense and a nice gesture.

Codes? nah hell no. have at it. ive come up with code methods on my own but im not big on claiming that stuff. I learned 85% of that stuff from various authors anyway. so it would be bright for anyone to learn from each other anyway they can with coding stuff
Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

SPIDER-VERSE THE AMAZING MUGENSTORY©EPISODE 10 "THE OTHERVERSE" 1080P BY REB3LTV by Rage
[March 27, 2024, 02:44:21 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[March 24, 2024, 11:09:37 AM]

Tree Of Erebus Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[March 22, 2024, 08:13:48 AM]

.Batzarro's. Sprite Edits by MatreroG
[March 20, 2024, 07:58:08 AM]

World Heroes 2 Shura Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[March 19, 2024, 12:44:28 PM]

MOVED: Prepare your ****! ***** Soldier gets his **** ready in MUGEN! by Rage
[March 18, 2024, 11:08:23 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista