collapse

Author Topic: Presenting Rumia, the Youkai of Darkness!  (Read 2257 times)

Offline zombieplasticclock

• Initiate
  • Last Login:November 02, 2011, 11:50:22 PM
    • Email
Presenting Rumia, the Youkai of Darkness!
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:52:10 PM »
How many Touhou fans are around here? :D

Although the Touhou fighting games have many of the characters in there, there's one that was missing that I (May) add in myself:

(For reference. To the right is her first apperance in the Touhou series, in "Embodiment of Scarlet Devil", and the left a more updated picture, more similar to the art style of "Scarlet Weather Rhapsody". This will be her select screen profile picture. (of course, without the ESOD picture in it :P))

(The actual sprite itself, in her classic Arms outstretched pose. I recently found that the creator of Eternal Fighter Zero and the Touhou fighters are the same company, so I used sprites from EFZ to make Rumia)

Rumia is a Youkai, which is basically a ghost. Rumia has the power to create darkness, although it's only limited to making the area around her look like dusk. Although she looks like a sweet, young girl, be warned: She eats humans.

The ribbon in her hair is not a ribbon at all, but is actually an amulet. there's plenty of Touhou fan work that speculate that this amulet seals her power, and something will happen should it be removed (since Rumia cannot touch it). Maybe a special attack?

I don't know how far I'll take this project, but it's something I felt like doing after playing a bunch of Touhou ("Embodiment of Scarlet Devil" and "Scarlet Weather Rhapsody" to be precise). Just uploading it to see what you guys think of it. If a lot of people like it, I'll continue. if not, it'll be scrapped

EDIT to new readers: This project is in progress, and going well!

((Note, above animation has messed up color since Flash hates my sprites. actual version looks way better))

Also, there was a stage made for Rumia: "Hakurei Shrine: Cursed Twilight"

You can download the stage here:
http://www.filefront.com/15744513/rumia_stage.zip/

EDIT: More previews for you new readers:

Preview of one of Rumia's Spell Cards: "Darkness Sign: Demarcation"

And to those of you who comment/critique/download the articles within this thread, I say...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:51:43 PM by zombieplasticclock »

Offline Orochi Gill

• Club Syndicate Admin
  • Last Login:July 23, 2022, 10:53:52 PM
  • Best. Ever.
    • Call HOH SIS right now!
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:44:34 AM »
How many Touhou fans are around here? :D

Rumia is a Youkai, which is basically a ghost.

You call yourself a fan and yet you don't even know what you're talking about.

The only true ghosts in Touhou are Mima, Murasa, Yuyuko, and to an extent, Youmu.

Anyway, at least this can never get as bad as Nenmin's so I guess I might actually see how this turns out.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 01:24:59 AM by ATICE »
I am the Phantom of the Bates Motel

• Initiate
    • Email
Re: Presenting Rumia, the Youkai of Darkness!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:47:39 AM »
You got me there. I play the games, and yet I don't know too much of the story :P All that there is to her in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is that she's a Youkai, and she offers to eat Reimu. A later search on the Touhou wiki was even more vague: They basically said a Youkai was any supernatural being, which is most of the characters in Touhou

Nenmin? what are you talking about? You mean someone's already doing this?

EDIT: One google search later...

Oh man, this was done! And if the screenshot on MUGEN Infantry was any indication, it doesn't look half bad. From your reaction, though, I assume otherwise?

ANOTHER EDIT!: Okay, so I decided to not give up on the project :D

I was bored, so I made some more sprites. I finished up her idle standing pose, and got some Palettes going. I also made some spell cards for her, but those will be uploaded another time (How to get Demarcation to work in a fighting game? Still thinking about it...)

Standing animation (Note: It's a little screwy, since Flash really doesn't like sprites. Alas, it's all I got, as Fighter Factory won't make GIFs for some reason -_-. It serves as an example of what she looks like, even though the actual version is way better)

Palettes! From left to right: Default, Marisa palette, Sakuya palette, Youmu palette, and Yuyuko palette
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 02:39:05 PM by zombieplasticclock »

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 03:20:12 PM »
Another slight update. Finished her running animation.  As per the usual, Flash really jacked up the sprite quality, so imagine it looks like this, but about ten times better

I've been playing "Embodiment of Scarlet Devil" on Insane, and watching video of "Shoot the Bullet" to get an idea on how she'll fight. I've basically got three options: A "Immaterial and Missing Power" style gameplay, but I don't entirely get how to play IAMP, "Scarlet Weather Rhapsody", which would be cool, but difficult to implement the card system, or have her fight like Dr. Kohaku's Touhou characters, which play more like a Street Fighter character. Decisions, Decisions...

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 08, 2014, 12:22:16 AM
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »
*insert post here that would get OrochiGill to quote and make me look stupid, because he can't seem to post anything positive*
Anyway, that run is unnatural, but in a good way! :D

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »
Really? How so? It was inspired from Suika's running animation from "immaterial and missing power". Or was it meant to be sarcastic? If not, feel free to point out how it can be improved

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:08:46 AM »
You can't really "fix it", it just looks kinda funny to me, no offense, it's just weird in my mind, but in a good way.

Offline Random Regular

• heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:July 09, 2018, 05:54:53 AM
  • ??!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 08:34:37 AM »
You can't really "fix it"

Yes you can, Make her upper body move a little (bouncing?), Because I''ve never seen somebody running without moving its upper body.
And is it me or do the legs/skirt look misplaced? (In comparison with your last sprite)

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:48:04 AM »
Yes you can, Make her upper body move a little (bouncing?), Because I''ve never seen somebody running without moving its upper body.
And is it me or do the legs/skirt look misplaced? (In comparison with your last sprite)
Well, that wasn't really what I was talking about, but it would probably make it more natural and better looking.

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 03:53:34 PM »
Well, like I said, Sukia from the Touhou fighters runs like that, except her hands are somewhat over her head. Then again, I'm too damn lazy for my own good -_-

I suppose it wouldn't be too much to have her arms bob at least :P

As for the skirt? Well, I dunno. It looks all right to me. Is it the colors? Because, if you recall, I did say Flash screws with my pictures.

On that note, anyone know any good freeware GIF makers?

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »
Well, like I said, Sukia from the Touhou fighters runs like that, except her hands are somewhat over her head. Then again, I'm too damn lazy for my own good -_-

I suppose it wouldn't be too much to have her arms bob at least :P

As for the skirt? Well, I dunno. It looks all right to me. Is it the colors? Because, if you recall, I did say Flash screws with my pictures.

On that note, anyone know any good freeware GIF makers?
Do you have Photoshop or GIMP? If not, may I suggest EasyGifMaker?

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 05:11:13 PM »
Easygifmaker sounds like a winner! Thank you :D

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 05:24:26 PM »
No prob, sorry, I don't know where you can get it, though, because I only used it once, you'll have to find it yourself, sorry.

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 09:58:32 PM »
Google Google Google!

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
You call yourself a fan and yet you don't even know what you're talking about.

The only true ghosts in Touhou are Mima, Murasa, Yuyuko, and to an extent, Youmu.

Anyway, at least this can never get as bad as Nenmin's so I guess I might actually see how this turns out.

This all you really need to know about this game:

JK.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:40:50 PM by -Whiplash- »

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 01:03:33 PM »
That just reminds me of the McRoll. Stupid, annoying McRoll...

Anywho, made some more frames. A couple pain frames, and an updated running sprites (Will be uploaded when it's animated))

Post Merge: February 26, 2010, 01:06:46 PM

Oh wow, sorry to miss this comment. Her upper body does bob slightly. Maybe it's just too subtle?

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
What program do you use for making gif's in flash? Like the running image.

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 03:21:59 PM »
Mcroll was edited off Flandre's theme from Scarlet Devil, "U.N. Owen Was her."

I Figured it was why you even knew the game existed.

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
What program do you use for making gif's in flash? Like the running image.

That's precisely what I'm using. Macromedia Flash 8. I swear, I tried so many settings, but I cannot get exported .gif animations to look as they should -_-

Mcroll was edited off Flandre's theme from Scarlet Devil, "U.N. Owen Was her."

I Figured it was why you even knew the game existed.

Nah, I found out about the McRoll after I played Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. Nah, I tried it because a friend knew I was a fan of shooters, so he thought I'd like Danmaku (which he assumed correctly). Also, I wanted to try it after hearing the awesome soundtrack of the games. To be specific, the track "The Doll Maker of Bucuresti" from Scarlet Weather Rhapsody

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:29:19 PM by zombieplasticclock »

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »
Hello, Infinity Mugen! Just an FYI that this project is still going.

Any suggestions on this character? I'm drawing blanks as on what to do next. And I really like how Rumia turned out so far, so I don't want to give up

Offline Ununsed-Username

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 09:11:45 PM »
I'll post a list of the required sprites for a character tomorrow, it may provide useful, I can't tonight, I have to go to bed in a couple minutes, but I would if I could, good luck with this project! :thumbsup:

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 12:53:07 AM »
I'll post a list of the required sprites for a character tomorrow, it may provide useful, I can't tonight, I have to go to bed in a couple minutes, but I would if I could, good luck with this project! :thumbsup:

Anytime is better than never, pal. Thanks! No worries, since I'm in no mood to do any more spriting tonight :P

And my apologies for saying there was no update, I forgot there was!

I finished Rumia's stage. Well, an idea I had for it, anyway. If you guys have a better idea, feel free to let me know!

It's called "Cursed Twilight at the Hakurei Shrine" (Reason for this name, along with the design, is in the readme)

Basically, the stage is a sort of clash between Reimu's magic, and the influence of the Youkai that reside near the shrine. Also, Rumia's ability is the manipulation of darkness, which warps the area around her into a sort of twilight/dusk.

You can download it here:

http://www.filefront.com/15744513/rumia_stage.zip

Comments, suggestions, and anything else of the sort is appreciated!

EDIT: Yet another update!

Several more sprites were done, but aren't interesting enough to be put up here.

Re-did the running animation, as you all suggested, and it looks better. I'll try to get an animated version up soon-ish ((EasyGIFMaker SSUUUCCKKKKSSS! It's worse than Flash!))

So, here's the first update:

Those who played "Touhou: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil" probably remember Rumia's final Spell Card: "Darkness Sign: Demarcation". It looked pretty, and -especially on Lunatic-, it's rather hard to dodge. So, I finally imagined how it'd properly look in MUGEN, on a 2D fighting space:

Basically, the Light Blue, Green, and Red bullets move in a circular pattern outward, while several waves of the dark Blue Bullets swarm ahead and behind Rumia. Of course, it'll probably be easy to dodge, as you can either dash through the bullets (if playing as a Touhou character in MUGEN), or counterattack with a Spell card or Super, or some projectile attack, but in any case, it'll requires the opponent to drop what they're doing, and try to either dodge the bullets, or make them vanish. That, or recieve a lot of damage, if the opponent gets juggled by the bullets :D
also, in true Scarlet Weather Rhapsody style, that weird background will scroll by, while the Spell is in effect. I need some Touhou fonts, though. Although the font used here fits, it's from Team Fortress 2, and I just would prefer to use one closer to the game :P

Anyway, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about when I tried to describe Demarcation, just watch the end of this video to see how the spell looks in the native game :D

Another awesome thing I found was this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmvfPybZAow&fmt=18#
bundled with Rumia's Stage was the original "Apparitions Stalk the Night" track made by ZUN for Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. However, I found this remix, which was pretty sweet, and I was thinking about using it. I just want your guy's opinion, though: Should I bundle the stage with the original Background Music, or this remix? you're call

Finally, here's this:

A little something I whipped up, for those of you who helped me out so far. The notable thing about it is that I drew the body (Well, the Dress, actually) from scratch. I don't know if I'll even use this in the final thing (And definitly without the "Thank You~!" :P)), but I just made it for fun :D And all your help is appreciated, you know!!!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 03:48:21 PM by zombieplasticclock »

• Initiate
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
Sorry for the lack of updates, Rumia is back in progress! Nothing much presentable at the moment, but I'd thought I put up something

A new profile picture more similar to Scarlet Weather Rhapsody.

You can't really tell from the still sprite, but this is a frame in the new running animation. The old one really sucked, so I'm changing it up, making her float instead (Like Iku Nagae does). Once I can get Flash to stop being a jerk, I'll put up an animated version

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

May 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 [2] 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal