collapse

Author Topic: Your Favorite Super Nintendo Game/Memory  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Twinimage

• MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 06, 2020, 01:45:48 PM
Your Favorite Super Nintendo Game/Memory
« on: April 22, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »
I just recently sold my x-box 360 because I don't play it anymore and invested in a Super Nintendo and have collected around a dozen games so far. Not sure how many on here plays or played Super Nintendo during it's heyday. I just wanted to see what everyone's favorite SNES game(s) and memories are.

My best memories were the times when I played at my friends house. The hours we spent trying to just  get past the first level. lol

I remember when we had Mario Paint. That game was impressive with what it let you do. I remember we would try to use the music writing part to come up with a cool sounding random song and have it play to some random flashing art we made. We'd turn out the lights and party to that. lol We were like five when we did that.
I was thinking the other day, Mario Paint probably influenced me to dabble in pixel art AND music! That's cool. I do pixel as well as learned to play piano and learn about sheet music.

Super Mario World is an awesome game. I especially like the overworld map and how it gives you a strong sense of geography, where as SMB3 overworld maps didn't quite give you a sense of where you were in the Mushroom Kingdom. SMW was my first video game ever.

Donkey Kong Country is amazing. The music is awesome, the presentation and graphics are great. The levels are interesting. I can see where this game inspired other platformers as well as the DKC returns game to create levels that are more rhythmic. You time your bouncing off enemies and platforms to a rhythm for optimum performance in the level.

Just started playing Super Metroid for the first time. I really am digging how atmospheric it and and the strong presentation it has. I like to play it late at night in the dark.

I'm also more aware of the SNES hardware capabilities, such as the ability to stretch and manipulate sprites. That ability adds so much to the little details to game experiences. Also, the obvious ability for early 3D graphics (Star Fox).

So, as you can tell, I'm really enjoying my reunion with the SNES. Gonna try collect my games and play ones I've never played before. Any you guys recommend?

- Twin

Offline laspacho

• RMM Project Leader
  • Infinity Administrator
  • Last Login:April 21, 2024, 07:31:48 PM
  • Robot Master
    • Infinity Mugen Team
    • Email
Re: Your Favorite Super Nintendo Game/Memory
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 12:20:16 AM »
Many hours spent playing TMNT.  I just love the music and sound effects.

Offline Superjoker

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:November 11, 2019, 10:01:54 PM
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 12:37:04 AM »
I am a collector myself, in fact i dont game with modern consoles only SNES, GB and N64 (i mean have you seen the 64 graphics they are amazing!)

I remember SMW when we finally got our SNES it came with it and defeating Bowser was epic with my sister and lil bro.

TMNT IV was so fun to play! the music and all the nostalgia from the cartoon was spot on.

I remember being too scared to try and clock Castlevania IV and another one that was freaking hard was Super Ghost's & Goblins.

Since I live in Australia now I had to leave most of my possesions behind, so years ago I reset my collection and begun a PAL version one. I have all 3 DK games each one gets harder and harder. I have the Star Wars trilogy in NTSC and will be posting on eBAY.

I think that Yoshi's Story has a big connection with my childhood, it was a really fun game.
And of course Zelda: ALTTP goes without saying...

The most I remember of SNES besides the 3 big fighters (SFII, MK, KI) is the fact that there were no memory cards and you had to try really hard and get your strategy sharp in order to see the end of the games.

There are too many out there! But here are some resources for ya

http://www.retrogamecases.com/

http://www.fullyretro.com/

I am happy with my collection, but in order to have it all I will have to emulate and home brew my Wii...

In the meantime I am working on a custom SNES console like such:

Have you also seen the SNES handhelds?

Maybe there's a forum out there for all this...

Offline ExeLord

• Smirking mage
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:April 13, 2024, 12:18:33 PM
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:55:00 AM »
You know what I will say - Megaman X 1-3 all the way \-/o Finding secrets is always interesting and with all those capsules, heart tanks, riding armors there was a lot. Can't forget those WTF moments when bosses, and powerful ones, appeared in places in stages where was nothing before and those falls from regular stage into Vile secret stage when you didn't expect that to happen.
But besides Megaman there was plenty of cool games I'd enjoyed - E.V.O. Search for Eden is one of those, ability to evolve yourself is neat and those random evolutions of red gem was fun.
Terranigma is very interesting game, though I was afraid of those big doors with faces @^@
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy - is same cool NES games, but with saves and sound/visual upgrades.
Run Saber - loved it, cool dynamic action.
Final Fantasy V - was my first completed rpg with lots of memories, it's too good to spoil if never played.
Choujikuu Yousai Macross - Scrambled Valkyrie is really great shoot'em'up(especially for the one, who watched and loved Robotech as me).
Axelay - rare vertical shoot'em'up, great game, love the music.
ActRaiser 1 - unusual mix of platformer and "city manager" with lots of small neat thingies.
Battle Soccer/Battle Dodgeball games are fun sport games with SD characters from various japanese franchises as Kamen Rider and Gundam mechas.
Shin Kidou Senki Gundam W - Endless Duel - my favorite SNES fighting :thumbsup:
Biker Mice From Mars - loved the show, fun game similar to Rock'n'Roll racing, which is great game too.
I can go on for long time, so I'll list some great games: Cyber Knights 1-2, Rudra no Hinou(Treasure of Rudras), Secret of Evermore, Energy Breaker, Majuu Ou, Demon's Crest, Secret of Mana, Skyblazer, Star Ocean.

Well, collecting is great and all, but many interesting games were japanese only and you might want to have translations, which wasn't on carts, so I recommend getting flash cart for those, there http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=84 is one, though it's unavailable now, there was nice one called Everdrive - http://shop.retrogate.com/Super-Everdrive-v2-SED2.htm . It's cost is bitey, I know, but might be a good thing to have.
What consumer society is?

"Where greyness prevails, the black always take the power." (c) "Its Hard to be God" - brothers Strugatskie.

Offline uncagedBMC

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 31, 2021, 04:10:38 PM
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 04:34:15 AM »
I really dug Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania Dracula X. Love Super Metroid and the two Super Mario World games. I love the Super Star Wars Trilogy as well. I always wanted Mario Kart but could never find it. I was looking online not too long ago and saw someone trying to sell a copy for $1,000.00 in box. That's the bad thing about vintage gaming its so expensive trying to find new games for your collection.

Offline PR_1030

• Initiate
  • Last Login:April 17, 2016, 11:45:23 AM
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:01:11 AM »
Ahh, the SNES. Good times. It was one of my first video game consoles. I asked for one for Christmans two years ago. Still play it every now and then.
I never really had all of the big hits. Most of them were superhero games. I did have some famous games, like Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.
Those were the days.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The thrill of an adventure going all over the land of Hyrule. I always had my iPad out with a Strategy Wiki page open. Without a walkthrough, LoZ is impossible for me. How was I supposed to know I was supposed to give this to that to get this? That stuff.

Super Mario World
I was never good at the classics, specifically Super Mario and Mega Man, but this was the game I partially succeeded in. I made it to the second area or something. It may not be much, but it was a lot to me.

Super Street Fighter II
Man of all the Street Fighter II versions, this was the best to me. All the characters, beautiful 16-bit graphics, etc.

Kirby Super Star
THIS. WAS. AMAZING. My brother and I kept playing it to the very end. Great two-player action, and the randomness of the stages was nice; just keep going right and every now and then, go into a door, and when you leave, you're in a whole new area (I think). It was magical. There's multiple games in there like Spring Breeze and Dyna Blade.

Superhero games, like Wolverine Adamantium Rage,Maximum Carnagae,Separation Anxiety, Marvel Superheroes in War of the Gems, X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse, Justice League Task Force, The Death and Return of Superman, Captain America and the Avengers etc.
It felt kind of calm and peaceful playing these games on a weekend afternoon...

Games I would recommend are the smash hits and classics. And if it's a Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo games would be good. If you like platformers, Super Mario World and Mega Man X. If you like fighting games, Street Fighter II (any version you like, but maybe go for the ones with "Super" 'cause they have more characters) and Mortal Kombat games. If you like beat 'em ups, go for Final Fight. These are just suggestions.

Well, that's what I can say. I just hope you can enjoy your SNES too. Good luck man with getting games, and good luck in beating them too.

Offline DEMONKAI

• The Visionary and IMT's
  • Section Moderator
  • Last Login:October 11, 2022, 09:44:18 PM
  • Never limit your vision as a creator!!
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 11:51:32 AM »
Ah i feel at home here already in this thread  :) Congrats to you man =D> =D>

I still have my old SNES. My TMNT TF. Super Metroid. Castlevania 4. Cybernator. Slam masters. SF2 turbo. Chrono trigger. Yuyu Hakusho 2. DBZ3. Demons crest. Ninja warriors, Tuff E nuff, Mario Kart and a few others. All packed away in my Vault. I even still have my old Game Genie lol

Great memories. Great music and great times. Aside from the NES (which i still have) its one of my top video game systems of all time. I might one day invest in a new pimped out SNES & NES just to have.

My first game i got for SNES was paperboy lol I didnt pick that game it was a surprise B day gift that came from my mom at the time. I still loved it though. First game bought for myself was TMNT Tournament fighters.

The main games me and my friends (whom i lived next door to) LOVED playing were Street fighter 2 turbo. TMNT TF, Contra, F zero, Mario world & Mario Kart. we had a lot of video games within the crew but for some reason we played those the most

I loved the music from that system. The sound was crisp! Genesis was cool dont get me wrong but that snes Graphics Card and sound system was hot lol

I will always love rocking an old SNES game
Lots and lots of supers so f*ckin what

HAIL CROM!!

Offline Twinimage

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »
Those are cool SNES mods. Does that green one have a blue light underneath it!? That's awesome. lol
Dude that SNES PowerPack looked cool. I'll have to look into that some more.

Yes, one of the cool things about the 16 bit games was that there was no need for memory cards! :)
The cartridges had they're own memory in them. Something to watch out for when collecting is making sure the memory battery still works. Most still do I believe. I dread the day when all of the batteries reach their end. Aaaah!

I'm collecting games to just play, so most of the ones I bought were just the cartridges and trying to find them in best condition possible while still being an appropriate price. The front label must be near perfect and cartridge must be gray, not poopy yellow. lol

Personally for me, SFII Turbo is the best of the SFII SNES games. Because it has the original cast (I'm not as fond with the additional four added later) and the sound effects and additional palettes are all there and it feels like such a great improvement from SFII. I have both and I really prefer Turbo. It matches my childhood memories the most.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to physically store all my SNES cartridges in? I have them in a box right now, but wondered if there was anything I could do to help keep dust and stuff off of them.

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »

Anyone have any suggestions on what to physically store all my SNES cartridges in? I have them in a box right now, but wondered if there was anything I could do to help keep dust and stuff off of them.

well mines have been in shoe boxes and i never got dust on em yet :-??

HAIL CROM!!

Offline Superjoker

• Infinity Sprite Artist
  • Last Login:November 11, 2019, 10:01:54 PM
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »

There are too many out there! But here are some resources for ya

http://www.retrogamecases.com/

http://www.fullyretro.com/

Offline Magma MK-II

• Master of Shoot'em Ups
  • IMT Content Architect
  • Last Login:October 25, 2023, 09:07:51 AM
  • Every day is night
    • My mugen stuff
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 08:38:13 PM »
* DKC2 and DKC3. Because the first game was just a tech demo. DKC2 is the real deal!
* Mega Man VII, Mega Man X and Mega Man X2. As for X3, the versions for PSX and saturn are much better.
* Goof Troop and Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse.
* Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition.
* Top Gear.
* Axelay, Gradius III, R-Type III and Darius Twin.
* Blackthorne, Lost Vikings and Rock n' Roll Racing.
* Metal Warriors.
* Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 08:39:29 PM »

* Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

yep i still have that game packed away too. classic

HAIL CROM!!

Offline -Whiplash-

• Prince of Latis
  • RMM Contributor
  • Last Login:December 25, 2021, 12:18:48 AM
  • Destroy the Core!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 10:39:49 PM »
The SNES is My favorite console of all time:

Time for an obligatory top ten list!

1. Chrono Trigger
2. A link to the past
3. Super Metroid
4. Final Fantasy 3/6 (prefer the GBA version but the game rocks either way)
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
6. Megaman X 3
7. Donky Kong Country
8. Super Castlevania IV
9. Gradius 3
10. Kirby Super Star

I wish I owned a lot of these, but I only own Yoshi's Island and Gradius 3. Another Game I own but Didn't Mention was Zombies ate my neighbours. As a kid I could never get past level 20. But I loved that game.

Offline Twinimage

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 07:04:17 PM »
Dude, this would be the best way to put the games on display. Make it look like a library of games. It would be expensive if you tried to do it for every game though. lol Maybe I'll do it for just my most favorites or the games that I think have the best box art.

http://www.retrogamecases.com/shop/products/game-cases/super-nintendo/

Offline DEMONKAI

• Section Moderator
    • DTHECHEMIST
    • D THE CHEMIST
    • Demonkai's Mugen
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 08:23:59 PM »
One of my favorite SNES memories is when the Big Metroid came to save samus in Super Metroid. LOVED that game

HAIL CROM!!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27
28 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal