collapse

Author Topic: List and small guide of free weekly maintance programs!  (Read 1777 times)

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 08, 2023, 09:35:27 PM
  • I'm done you know where to find me. Click my sig.
    • Deviant-Generation
List and small guide of free weekly maintance programs!
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
Ok everyone, I decided to make a small post of some free programs I use to do weekly or even daily maintenance on my computer to keep it in tip top shape. All of these programs will be free. If anyone has any problems with these programs let me know with a PM or a post here and I will help you and explain in detail in a future post in this thread.

Daily or weekly free maintenance programs to keep windows based machines in tip top shape ;

1) ATF Cleaner http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=1 : This little program is a stand alone executable (does not require install.) which empties out temporary internet files and cookies to keep your system from gathering to much tiny files which can slow it down after a lot of browser usage. It is a very easy to use program.  

2) CCLeaner  http://www.ccleaner.com/ : This little program has the same features as ATF Cleaner as well as a built in registry cleaner and uninstaller. It is very light weight and will help anyone with problems to give your computer an extra boost. It also integrates with your right click menu if you allow it to make it that much easier to run it on your OS. The download link is on the right hand side where you see the green down arrow. It will take you to another page where you can choose either filehippo or another mirror. Choose whichever hose you want.

3) Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php : This is a Anti Spyware and Anti Virus program. It is also free, there is also a paid version if you really like this. It is a really really good free program to nuke viruses. But do not just use this for only virus solution. It is best to use more then one. But it is one of the top do it yourself quick scanners around. it will scan and remove just about any virus and spyware available.

4) Spybot Search and Destroy http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/spybotsd162.exe : This is yet another program that will help you with the fight against spyware. It will also immunize your browser against known attack sites. But be a little weary of the immunize. It can possibly cause a little slow down with firefox. But I'm just going by what Mozzila have said themselves. I don't notice any slow down at all apart from the normal crap that is in firefox until they fix it.

5) Glary Utilities http://www.glaryutilities.com/gu.html?tag=download# : This program Optimizes, cleans and boosts the speed of your Windows OS. Protects your privacy and security. Blocks spyware, trojans, adware, etc. Fixes certain application errors. Basically It does a lot. I had to copy and paste the description from the site because it does so much. It is an awesome program. Also remember during the install to decline the agreement to install the ask toolbar. it is spyware. You can install install this utility without the toolbar. Just read the installer carefully and don't click through madly or you will regret it!

6) Adblock Plus for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865 : This is a extension for firefox which will block a lot of ads on 99% of sites I visit now a days. It is amazing to have. Basically if you visit a site that uses ads to get revenue say, gametrailers. That has them embedded in the video's or just thrown about the site for that matter. Well this baby nukes them and you will never have to deal with them again. I highly recommend this out of anything out of this list! This extension will also block ads that will give you spyware or adware. Basically if you use firefox. You need this extension or you are highly vulnerable.

7) Windows Defrag built in : This is your built in defrag in windows. It i there for a reason. it may not be the best in the industry but I highly recommend using it. If you have windows 7 set the scheduler up to do it 2 hours before you log off for the night and I guarantee you will not notice when it does it. Windows, well at least 7 is amazing at hiding when it decides to defrag. I hardly ever have to actually set it to defrag. but seriously USE IT!

8 ) Junk Cleaner : Most windows OS include Junk cleaner I think all the way back to 2000 or at least XP. But Glary utilites includes it and I recommend using it as well. It will get the rest of the junk off of your system that may still be lurking there.

9) MSConfig : This is another built in program in windows. This is only for advanced users only. But basically it disables any startup programs you don't need (you have control on what you want or don't want.) I put this here for people who know how to use it. If you would like me to explain it to you let me know.  But basically just type in your windows search bar or run for windows XP, MSCONFIG. Then go to the startup tab. Untick any program you don't want or do not absolutely need. Do the same thing for services. This utility also does far more then startup stuff. It will shut off services, and tweak login parameters and other stuff. Which is why I said it is for advanced users. so for noobies just use the start up portion unless you seek guidance. but again THIS IS ONLY FOR ADVANCED USERS. USE THIS ONE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

All but 2 programs msconfig and Glary utilities are absolutely noob friendly. But for those 2, Please ask for assistance if you need help. Do not just second guess your self. Glary utilities is a huge program (not big file wise but with features.) so it may seem really hard for newbies. But just in case some people get a head of themselves I'm throwing the disclaimer up.

Obligatory DISCLAIMER : All of these programs are to be used at your own risk, I am not to be held accountable if you do not follow the instructions for each program step by step. You have been warned.

But if you guys need detailed instructions let me know.

EDIT: Also if anyone has more programs they would like to add that are free. Feel free to do so and I will add them to this main list. I would like to get this stickied sooner or later so people will kinda have a beginners type of start for getting junk and/or viruses off of there system.

EDIT2: Made some slight revisions. I will add more programs as I think of them. This is just the tip of the ice berg and I typically search for far more. I run a pretty old machine so if I can squeeze as much performance out of this machine as possible I do it. So when I find another free program  I will definitely add it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 06:58:00 PM by xPreatorianx »

Offline Esʞy

• Somebody that you use to know..
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:December 02, 2018, 04:18:20 PM
    • Email
Re: List and small guide of free weekly maintance programs!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »
A small post.  ;*)) Thanx this will prove to be useful! :thumbsup:
(click to show/hide)

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 06:41:14 PM »
A small post.  ;*)) Thanx this will prove to be useful! :thumbsup:

Hey man NP. I figured I might as well help this forum out somehow. sooner or later down the line I'll start uploading programs I make as well. I officially started learning how to code windows apps this morning :).

Offline Esʞy

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:42:55 PM »
Hey man NP. I figured I might as well help this forum out somehow. sooner or later down the line I'll start uploading programs I make as well. I officially started learning how to code windows apps this morning :).
Sweet, I'm gald your here to protect this house.  ;*)) and mine lol
(click to show/hide)

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 04, 2024, 12:00:37 AM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »
3 & 4 are definitely the best. I already have a topic here for Spybot as well.

Offline ♦ßlôödÑinjå♦

• Bloody
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:April 01, 2015, 12:04:14 PM
    • Little Infinity
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:17:12 PM »
Great post it deserves to be pinned.

Come Chat with Us @ IMT_MUGEN_TEAM chat group - The greatest Hangout for all Mugen related Discussions.
(click to show/hide)

I don't Always browse Mugen Forums but when i do i browse Infinity. - Anthony

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 01:57:26 AM »
Great post it deserves to be pinned.
I agree. :thumbsup:

Offline Esʞy

• Infinity Regular
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:01:10 PM »
I agree. :thumbsup:
I fully agree, just in time cuz my brother almost put malware on my com. Thank you for anti-malware.  :w00t:
(click to show/hide)

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 03:44:25 PM »
I fully agree, just in time cuz my brother almost put malware on my com. Thank you for anti-malware.  :w00t:
I would definitely not let him use your pc again, then... How did you know he was putting malware on your pc?

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 03:48:49 PM »
Atice, Don't disregard Glary utilities m8. It is an amazing AIO (all in one) utility as well.

But your welcome everyone. Like I said, if I find more I will definitely add them

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

SPIDER-VERSE THE AMAZING MUGENSTORY©EPISODE 10 "THE OTHERVERSE" 1080P BY REB3LTV by Rage
[March 27, 2024, 02:44:21 PM]

D2TD VS Showcase Thread by D2TD
[March 24, 2024, 11:09:37 AM]

Tree Of Erebus Stage 1.1 & 1.0 by MatreroG
[March 22, 2024, 08:13:48 AM]

.Batzarro's. Sprite Edits by MatreroG
[March 20, 2024, 07:58:08 AM]

World Heroes 2 Shura Stage by Vegaz by LightFlare
[March 19, 2024, 12:44:28 PM]

MOVED: Prepare your ****! ***** Soldier gets his **** ready in MUGEN! by Rage
[March 18, 2024, 11:08:23 AM]

[WIP] Pocket Dimensional Clash 2 by O Ilusionista