collapse

Author Topic: PC problems:help please...  (Read 1050 times)

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
  • Last Login:October 15, 2021, 10:01:22 AM
  • Infinity News Reporter and Journalist
    • My youtube channel
PC problems:help please...
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:31:40 AM »
Yep...that's why i was able to do my duties yesterday
I'm currenty having issues with my PC,which are the following,after formatting my hard drive and re-installing Win XP from scractch:

*Computer randomly reboots by itself...it could be a dust excess problem which i will check out once i get home

*Antivirus programs will not update/start up when i run them(i tested Avira and AVG,neither of them was able to update to the current database.Firewall is letting them access the net).Also,programs that require downloaded content for the installation won't install either(for example,Windows Live Messenger)

*Firefox is crashing very frequently(as of,i open the browser and moments after that,it crashes)

Do you think there could be a problem with the hard drive on my PC?
I'll most likely add some advices posted here to the list of stuff i have to test out once i get home from work
Thanks in advance for the help

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 04, 2024, 12:00:37 AM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
Re: PC problems:help please...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:14:50 PM »
There was a time when I had those problems before. It really matters on how old your computer is... Your motherboard could be going bad, so I think it's time to upgrade. Especially if your PC is more than 2 years old.

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »
it's about 3 years old...still it shouldn't blank out by itself,close my web browsers and not allow me to update AV's or even install programs properly

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 12:06:31 AM »
I know what you mean, but some pc's happen to do that over long periods of time. It really does sound like you need a new one, but I could ask my friend later... (he's a pc wiz... ;*)))

Offline TAIMAT

• Last Login:April 14, 2012, 12:23:34 PM
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:33:15 PM »
I'm currenty having issues with my PC,which are the following,after formatting my hard drive and re-installing Win XP from scractch:

why did you formatted it in the first place?
anyway my first impression ... a virus (a year ago .. i was infected with this http://antivirus.about.com/od/virusdescriptions/p/sality.htm )

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »
It sounds like your hardware and/or drivers are going bad, and it's probably time to update (what my friend said).

The reason why it's suggested you should is because hardware and drivers cna no longer become capable of running or even compatible with the current programs out there. Your best bet is to wait for Windows 7 to come out, and then purchase another desktop or laptop. Remember to ask if it has Windows 7, because Vista's bad...

Offline elee0031

• Initiate
  • Last Login:July 04, 2011, 09:53:32 PM
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:04:26 PM »
In response to everyone else commit on getting a new PC, Not everyone can just throw out money to get a new PC. I only suggest doing this as an end result.

Did you try doing all the trouble shooting methods?

Removing the battery off of the mother board and replacing it with a fresh one. Going to internet options and deleting all of the cookies and temp internet files. Making sure you are the admin on your PC. Making sure all the internal devices are seated and connected properly and is clean of dust build up.  

1. I think it sounds like a software conflict, but if you reinstalled the OS and it's still giving you problems it may  be either the hard drive or processor in your PC going bad. To test the hard drive, just use a different PC and attach it to another unit to see if it runs properly and check it for viruses. Do this for all removable drives. This will also work for the processor as well.

2. The rebooting and crashing problem sounds like the battery going bad or a bad power cord, again you can check this out by doing the same as above to see if the same problem is occurring.  

3. If your software's are closing prematurely or stalls you might want to remove and reinstall some of these software's. If you've already done this, then check your RAMs and make sure they are clean and seated properly on the mother board.

You can do all of this by yourself on PC, I do not suggest doing this for notebooks/lap tops unless you were well trained or have the skills to rebuild it from scratch. You will also need access to a working PC to assure each piece you remove and test are actually working.

Finally, 4. If all else fails, then get a new PC; then again look for a nice USED PC for a fraction of the cost or go to Goodwill for working parts. This is just my opinion and I hope this help's you out. Hopefully... Well it beat's giving a PC doctor $25 to look at it and then $100+ for parts and labor.    
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:32:39 PM by ATICE »

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 07:33:14 PM »
very well spoken elee. You seem very knowledgeable about pc's.

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
thanks for the help guys...it seems that it's working properly for the moment...it might have been a virus or spyware,as after i installed Kaspersky successfully on it,i stopped having so much trouble
  :-??  Can´t complain about it for the time being

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 08, 2023, 09:35:27 PM
  • I'm done you know where to find me. Click my sig.
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 09:16:21 PM »
TL;DR version : Buy Windows 7 you will not regret it!!!

Above poster could not have said it better then myself. Also hardware problems like old parts should not really affect it. Unless its a ram issue. The current PC im on, even tho its really old by today's standards still runs any game I throw at it on max settings and runs beautifully under windows 7. Some of the computers my grandfather has (8+ last time I knew) he has had for atleast 6+ years, and they still work properly. Extremely slow but still work.

If you take care of your computer your hardware will not go bad before you replace it. Some parts in it like the HDD or ram may go bad after years and years of use. but not the whole system. Usually only 1-2 parts go bad. Either the CPU, Ram, PSU (Power supply unit) or hard drive (plates/disks go bad because of so much reading/writing to it)

But I have really never heard of an entire computer completely going bad. Hell my grandfather still has one of the first apple machines that still works. he has not used it for a really long time. but it still works.

Also dust will not cripple a machine like this. My machine is really due for a dust cleaning (its horrible) because I keep my case lid off due to a bad cooling system. But it still functions because im typing on it now.

Did you completely wipe the drive where you installed the OS on? If not reformat and even do a low level format to clear it. Don't use the windows installer formatter. Get a command prompt formatter (windows has one) and boot it and do a low level format. Or get a linux live CD  and do a command prompt format with that. Wipe any and all existing data on the harddrive to make sure nothing from the virus (if there was one) is still there.

Also use the same linux live CD to check all drives for virus's. Don't boot into windows at all to check for virus's. Use a linux live CD because then it can get access to every single file on the windows partition and have full access.

But do a complete and extremely thorough virus/spyware scanner before you reformat. Reformat again as a last ditch effort. Also just to rule it out like the above poster said. Thoroughly clean your machine  and get rid of any dust that is present.

But make sure if you do reformat to do it in command prompt. It will be more efficient then doing it in any type of windows environment.

Also I would really consider buying or obtaining windows 7. It scales really well no matter how old the system is. Its memory management is amazing. Couple of my friends of old machines that are atleast 4-5 years old run it and just as long as you have 256 MB to 512 MB of ram  you  can run it just like the leading computers today.

Windows 7 is windows vista done right. It is amazing how M$ flipped from vista and made windows 7 as good as it is. its basically all the bells and whistles of vista but with all the performance and compatibility as XP. It really is XP with a vista skin, performance wise and compatibility wise.

There has only been 1 driver that took a while to get working on windows 7. It was Real tek's AC97 driver set. Only reason why it did not work without some tweaking was because of Windows 7's driver signing enforcement. But as soon as you disable it then run the driver install and reboot. Windows update will update it to a driver signed version and boom no more problems.

EDIT : Damn me and my typing. Sounds good KPT. But still read my last comments.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:11:57 AM »
thanks for the help guys...it seems that it's working properly for the moment...it might have been a virus or spyware,as after i installed Kaspersky successfully on it,i stopped having so much trouble
  :-??  Can´t complain about it for the time being
wtf... Kaspersky... *reads thread again* Where is that in here? ;*))

Post Merge: October 15, 2009, 01:13:51 AM
TL;DR version : Buy Windows 7 you will not regret it!!!

Above poster could not have said it better then myself. Also hardware problems like old parts should not really affect it. Unless its a ram issue. The current PC im on, even tho its really old by today's standards still runs any game I throw at it on max settings and runs beautifully under windows 7. Some of the computers my grandfather has (8+ last time I knew) he has had for atleast 6+ years, and they still work properly. Extremely slow but still work.

If you take care of your computer your hardware will not go bad before you replace it. Some parts in it like the HDD or ram may go bad after years and years of use. but not the whole system. Usually only 1-2 parts go bad. Either the CPU, Ram, PSU (Power supply unit) or hard drive (plates/disks go bad because of so much reading/writing to it)

But I have really never heard of an entire computer completely going bad. Hell my grandfather still has one of the first apple machines that still works. he has not used it for a really long time. but it still works.

Also dust will not cripple a machine like this. My machine is really due for a dust cleaning (its horrible) because I keep my case lid off due to a bad cooling system. But it still functions because im typing on it now.

Did you completely wipe the drive where you installed the OS on? If not reformat and even do a low level format to clear it. Don't use the windows installer formatter. Get a command prompt formatter (windows has one) and boot it and do a low level format. Or get a linux live CD  and do a command prompt format with that. Wipe any and all existing data on the harddrive to make sure nothing from the virus (if there was one) is still there.

Also use the same linux live CD to check all drives for virus's. Don't boot into windows at all to check for virus's. Use a linux live CD because then it can get access to every single file on the windows partition and have full access.

But do a complete and extremely thorough virus/spyware scanner before you reformat. Reformat again as a last ditch effort. Also just to rule it out like the above poster said. Thoroughly clean your machine  and get rid of any dust that is present.

But make sure if you do reformat to do it in command prompt. It will be more efficient then doing it in any type of windows environment.

Also I would really consider buying or obtaining windows 7. It scales really well no matter how old the system is. Its memory management is amazing. Couple of my friends of old machines that are atleast 4-5 years old run it and just as long as you have 256 MB to 512 MB of ram  you  can run it just like the leading computers today.

Windows 7 is windows vista done right. It is amazing how M$ flipped from vista and made windows 7 as good as it is. its basically all the bells and whistles of vista but with all the performance and compatibility as XP. It really is XP with a vista skin, performance wise and compatibility wise.

There has only been 1 driver that took a while to get working on windows 7. It was Real tek's AC97 driver set. Only reason why it did not work without some tweaking was because of Windows 7's driver signing enforcement. But as soon as you disable it then run the driver install and reboot. Windows update will update it to a driver signed version and boom no more problems.

EDIT : Damn me and my typing. Sounds good KPT. But still read my last comments.
First things first, he has to make sure his pc can handle Windows 7. KPT bought it 3 years ago... I had my old one for 5 years, since this past August... Couldn't even run Vista... KPT, if you're looking to upgrade to Windows 7, then you need an entirely new pc... Is it worth it for 7? You betch'ya!

Offline KPT25

• The Professional
  • Chief News Reporter
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 05:35:53 PM »
well,i don't know if my PC can run Windows 7...i have 1.5 GB of RAM and a 64-bit Sempron processor,which i know is old as of today's technology

Offline elee0031

• Initiate
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 06:48:05 PM »
I took an electronic/computer class in high school and we had to dismantle a PC and rebuild from scratch. I learned the majority of the trouble shooting problems with our old schools computers and mainly experience with my old HP pc as well. This is also why I didn't mention working on notebook if your not experienced enough with it.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 11:01:22 PM »
I took an electronic/computer class in high school and we had to dismantle a PC and rebuild from scratch. I learned the majority of the trouble shooting problems with our old schools computers and mainly experience with my old HP pc as well. This is also why I didn't mention working on notebook if your not experienced enough with it.
That's good. I didn't get the chance to take that kind of class in high school, because they just opened one up this year.... LOL! I found out from one of my friends who still goes there...

Offline elee0031

• Initiate
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 08:34:07 PM »
I wouldn't suggest it unless you choose this as your profession or dream job. Sure you learn to rebuild a perfectly working computer and learn to trouble shoot more than you can handle. However, I warn you ALL that if you take such a class make sure you know how to wright  a decent program. I sucked at this and I never got higher than a C out of the class. Well one time a simpathy B, but that was just one time.  :D

Also the electronic textbooks are costly, they range in area of $150-200 once you hit college. So geeks beware!

I classify myself as tech savy as I do have some background with computers but not professional knowledge. Hec.k, when mugen crashes on my computer it makes me furious. Also I still haven't learn how to put 2 or more characters in with the same name and have them appear in the game like "spiderman."

So if the author hasn't had any problems by now I think it's safe to say there was some good advice.  /:O

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 08, 2023, 09:35:27 PM
  • I'm done you know where to find me. Click my sig.
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »
@Atice. Windows 7 will run exactly like windows XP. It completely scales. Trust me. Ive been using this OS for awhile and im in love. They specifically designed it so you could put it on web books and stuff. So it scales really well.

If he has at least 512 MB of ram he can run it.

You just won't have the super visuals someone can get with a good graphics card (my 8800 GT is damn good with 7) but I have 2 of them.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 11:18:37 PM »
well,i don't know if my PC can run Windows 7...i have 1.5 GB of RAM and a 64-bit Sempron processor,which i know is old as of today's technology
Hmmm... might work... I would say give it a try, and if it doesn't work then that just means you need a new PC. I think there's a website that will be able to determine that... either there's one now or there will be when 7 comes out... 3 DAYS!!

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal