collapse

Poll

When are you getting it?

As soon as it's released...
A few weeks to a few months after release...
By year's end...
My PC is too old to have it... =-(

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 2804 times)

Offline JDubbs

• The Black Colossus and
  • Infinity Regular
  • Last Login:February 03, 2019, 09:49:31 PM
  • JDubbs: 1st Name, Last Name
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2009, 07:23:02 PM »
thanks so much xPret

now to get windows 7.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:18:11 AM by ATICE »
You think You Know Me

MK 9 mains: Ermac, Rain, Jax
MvC2 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Gambit, Bison, Charlie
MvC3 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Storm, Ryu, Taskmaster
[/URL]

MK 9 mains: Ermac, Rain, Jax
MvC2 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Gambit, Bison, Charlie
MvC3 teams: Magneto, Captain America, Chun-Li or Storm, Ryu, Taskmaster

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
  • MUGEN Content Architect
  • Last Login:February 04, 2024, 12:00:37 AM
  • "Why not fight for Earthrealm?"
    • My Creations
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
Just got Windows 7 today, and it's awesome!

I'm loving the simplicity of it. I like how the color of the borders stay the same too. That annoyed me in Vista.. and oh hey, my Windows Media Player works (for now.. ;*))).

Offline volzzilla

• Last Login:February 03, 2024, 11:29:19 AM
  • MMV - http://mugenmultiverse.forumotion.com/
    • The Mugen Multiverse
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »

edited:

okay i was having issues with using extract now and 7zip before, but now got them to work.

however, on XP 7zip gave the ability to right click open a compressed file. from what it looks like, that is not an option on windows 7. although if someone knows how to apply this, please let me know.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:47:38 PM by volzzilla »
Please visit a DC/Marvel centered Mugen Community at: http://mugenmultiverse.forumotion.com/

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
  • Last Login:February 08, 2023, 09:35:27 PM
  • I'm done you know where to find me. Click my sig.
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »
Reinstall the program m8. Just make sure you follow the installer. It should say "do you want to integrate blah blah into Context menu?" something like that, tick it and it should be set. I have no idea why you are having problems period with 7Zip. I have none and im on 64bit. Usually if there is a compatibility issue with a program it comes up first under 64bit (does not matter what  OS you are on.) So which version do you have? I have 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate and it works like a breeze. If you run 32bit it should be that much better because 64bit sometimes is a pain in the butt to work with some programs. But its not the fault of the OS but the software company. Even tho 64bit has been around since the 1990s it is still in its infancy because software developers won't completely switch over. But Windows 8 will change that. Its gonna be the only OS to use only 64bit and also 128 bit. its not gonna use 32bit at all.

Also I just purchased a full retail copy of Windows 7 professional from newegg. It should be here by Friday.

Offline fer619

• Angry Bird
  • Contributor
  • Last Login:May 18, 2014, 09:32:23 PM
  • ANGRY BIRDZ GONNA DESTROY DEM PIGZ!
    • fer619's Hideout
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:21 PM »
Windows 7 sounds like a sweet deal, so now i'm planning to buy myself a laptop with Windows 7 for christmas
(click to show/hide)

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »
I ordered windows 7 last week and it got here a long with my parts for my server machine yesterday. So I have windows 7 professional plus my server to tweak.

Ill be putting windows 7 pro on this computer in the next day or so. I got the full retail version so I have 32bit and 64bit.

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 10:08:35 PM »
I ordered windows 7 last week and it got here a long with my parts for my server machine yesterday. So I have windows 7 professional plus my server to tweak.

Ill be putting windows 7 pro on this computer in the next day or so. I got the full retail version so I have 32bit and 64bit.
64 bit would probably be better.. It's a little more difficult where to navigate in the program files though... Though if you're playing games like me.. I have quite a few games + 2 MUGENs... I just made a separate Games folder, because I have 64bit and don't like navigating between those 2 program files... even my antivirus is out of the program files... lol..

Offline nick09

• Contributor
  • Last Login:December 21, 2011, 10:16:38 PM
    • Nick09's creations
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2009, 10:36:40 AM »
I like it. It is simple but not as simple as I like it. I'm not hooked on the new square windowbar style as I like reading what's in each window. Microsoft has definitely improved over Vista, which is alright with the right hardware for everyone who need to do something. And if you get either Vista or Windows 7, you should get the 64-bit version because the computers nowadays will have 4GB or more RAM and almost all of the computers nowadays have a 64-bit CPU. If you are trying to intall 7 for a computer which is 3 years or older you should check if your CPU is 64-bit compatible.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2009, 12:26:51 PM »
64 bit would probably be better.. It's a little more difficult where to navigate in the program files though... Though if you're playing games like me.. I have quite a few games + 2 MUGENs... I just made a separate Games folder, because I have 64bit and don't like navigating between those 2 program files... even my antivirus is out of the program files... lol..

64bit more difficult? How do you figure? lol, only difference is the 32 bit system folder and program folder is mirrored with a 64bit version. Plus with 64bit its got better control over memory and CPU. Really the only difference. So with 64bit its got better multi threading, and more instruction sets.

I have no problems on any system I base my computer on, with respect to windows. I reformatted Monday and I'm running full retail 64bit version of windows 7 Professional.

Program Files (x86)  and Program Files  (64bit has no additonal numbers.) is easy to find. Its in the same location. Root of your OS drive. So it takes all of 10 seconds to find a program if you don't have a shortcut.

Before I reformatted I was running 64bit. So its nothing new to me. Don't worry about me with any windows OS. I know my way around windows like the back of my hand.

Only way I would be completely off is if M$ designed a completely new OS and then call it windows. Basically throw out the entire OS, kernal and all. Then make a new one. That would trip me up but I would figure it out.

I also have about 5 HDD's so my whole system is organized like crazy. I have a whole HDD dedicated to games.

Also in the next 3-4 years Windows 8 will be out (M$ is starting development soon because of their contract with OEMS.) and I suggest everyone to stick with Windows 7.

Windows 8 will be the first OS to drop 32bit entirely. Which means unless the software companies get their act together that will throw out compatibility with 95% of all software known. 64bit has been around since the early 90s but we are just starting to get software developers to actually code for it.

Now M$ has to push for 128bit and throw 32bit out because you can't have 3 different architectures for programs on an OS. It will thrash compatibility and be a huge pain in the butt to write support for it in the kernal. So Windows 8 is completely ditching 32 bit. So now it will be 64bit and 128 bit. So hopefully by the time that happens software dev's will be on the ball with 64bit programming and we won't have to think before switching over.

EDIT: I got the full retail not really for the 32bit version, but because I'm buying a new computer soon (a custom rig I'm building.) so I needed full retail so I could remove the one on this computer and get it on my new one. OEM locks to your hadware (found that out recently.) so I couldn't bring it to a new system.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:32:09 PM by xPreatorianx »

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »
64bit is more difficult to navigate mostly in the main drive where the program files is.. I barely use the program files because of it, I just make separate folders for programs in the C Drive.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2009, 10:14:01 PM »

lol, I still don't understand why its so difficult. Instead of 1 folder to look in its 2. I have 4 HDD's. Most of my regular apps go into my C: drive under 32bit or 64bit. But my games go on another hard drive under 32 or 64bit. My backup files are on other HDD's.

It shouldn't be that hard. When you install a program it sticks it where it needs to go. Then just access either the start menu or a shortcut on the desktop to run the program.

I don't know maybe its just me because of the fact I was raised around windows all my life so I know where everything could possibly be. So when I look for a program it takes all of 30 seconds to check both the main program files folders.

Also Windows does have a search, you know that right? Just enter the program's name into the search on the start menu and bam it instantly comes up.

It's also bad for the OS, it will spell trouble later in it's life span. Plus how does creating more folders make it any easier? Now you are going from 2 dedicated folders to numerous folders? I'm highly confused.

Atice how long have you been using computers?

Offline ATiC3

• Cryomancer
    • My Creations
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2009, 10:18:46 PM »
I'm saying it's hard to navigate, because if I don't want the 64bit version of a program I have to go to PF(x86), if I do I go to the regular one... I'm confused by it because they should've done it like: Program Files, then Program Files(x64)... Would've been much more easier for me since I don't use much x64.... I only have 64bit because I got 8GB of RAM in my pc and I'd like to use all of it.

P.S. I've been using pc's since 95.

Offline xPreatorianx

• Infinite Loyalist
    • Deviant-Generation
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »
I'm saying it's hard to navigate, because if I don't want the 64bit version of a program I have to go to PF(x86), if I do I go to the regular one... I'm confused by it because they should've done it like: Program Files, then Program Files(x64)... Would've been much more easier for me since I don't use much x64.... I only have 64bit because I got 8GB of RAM in my pc and I'd like to use all of it.

P.S. I've been using pc's since 95.

It's harder for you because you are probably not used to X86 and X64. Me its nothing new because I am a geek with computers. So I know everything behind those 2 numbers. Computers are my field of choice so I tend to try and find really hard stuff to do and figure it out.  X86 is the 32 bit. See it as if it was your old computer programs. From say windows 98 SE days. 64bit (Program Files) are new. Just look at it that way.

But whatever works for you m8, I'm just saying it sounds like sooner or later your gonna crash your system. M$ made the Program Files folder for a reason. Plus I think if you want your X86 (32bit) programs to run properly you need a folder with that extension. its almost like the folder has an actual extension like say .exe, .JPG, .PNG. It needs that folder to run in because it tells the OS you are running a 32bit program or it may think its a 64bit and may have issues.

Don't quote me on that tho because I have never tested it. I stick to those 2 program folders. Even on other drives. When I install a game I just change the drive letter to my games HDD and it still keeps the same folder structure like it would be if it was on my root drive.

But if it works for you, it works for you. Just be careful. You know how picky windows can be :P.

Me, I'm now trying to learn the ins and outs of linux plus learn how to code programs to work in windows. That is my ultimate Career, either that or Computer maintenance/repair.

Tags:

* IMT Facebook

Help us by Donating!

IMT Discord

Join us at our Discord! Click the image below!

* IMT Shoutbox

Sorry, this shoutbox does not exist.

* Recent Posts

* IMT Calendar

April 2024
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
[28] 29 30

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal